Wait for table

Iralyn

Mouseketeer
An unexpected, slightly unpleasant surprise for me on our last trip to Disney was how long we typically had to wait for a table. These were all table service places where we had advance reservations. We were typically there 15 minutes ahead as they ask and then would wait 30 to 45 minutes for a table (even longer at Akershus). I remember at the Garden Grill towards the end of our trip, we were seated 5 minutes after the time of our reservation which was a big surprise as we'd got used to waiting every time!

Anyway, my question is: Does this continue to be the typical experience? That's what I'm assuming/preparing for but thought I'd check as that was 5 years ago.

We had about a 5-10 minute wait for restaurants where we had ADR on our current trip.

When we were there last year, a number of the restaurants had a good amount of wait time even with ADRs. Akershus was 20 minutes or so. Tusker House was almost 30 minutes. Even Tony's in MK was half an hour one evening (only thing we could get that night at the last minute). Cape May, while they said was 20 minutes we actually got in within 5 minutes. I'll post again after our trip next week about our experiences.

The last few years, the wait for a table even with ADRs has increased.
Unfortunately not much you can do. If you have ADRs for 7 pm and there are not tables available, you wait.

An unexpected, slightly unpleasant surprise for me on our last trip to Disney was how long we typically had to wait for a table. These were all table service places where we had advance reservations. We were typically there 15 minutes ahead as they ask and then would wait 30 to 45 minutes for a table (even longer at Akershus). I remember at the Garden Grill towards the end of our trip, we were seated 5 minutes after the time of our reservation which was a big surprise as we'd got used to waiting every time!

Anyway, my question is: Does this continue to be the typical experience? That's what I'm assuming/preparing for but thought I'd check as that was 5 years ago.
As many have said throughout similar threads in the past ADRs are not reservations. They hold a spot for you and once you check in you get placed in line for the next available table.

For me it depends on time of year and which restaurant. Le Cellier, Tusker House and Ohana are always a wait, regardless of my reservation time or time of year. Yachtsman Steakhouse, Kona and Boma is always walk in. In park restaurants are usually 10-osh minutes during non peak seasons, 20 - 30 during peak seasons. Resort TS is walk in during non peak, 10ish minutes during peak. Cali Grill is 50/50. Ive walked in and Ive waited an hour. Really depends on the day for each place!

Thats why we usually don't do ADR's. often. We DO make them, but cancel most. We like to book in case we want it.
We usually just walk up.see what's a short wait and do it. It may be supper at 8 or lunch at 130 but its easy and we always seem to get a table somewhere we like.
And, we are counter service folks most of the time....so that makes it easy, no wait no fuss.

We were 15 minutes early for our Rose and Crown ADR last week and waited 40 minutes to be called and then another few minutes for them to seat us as requested inside rather than on the patio. The woman at check in was first giving me a hard time saying they weren't taking requests because they were crowded but when we got inside there were several available tables so it was more likely an issue with staffing.

It also may depend on time of day. If it’s peak time for dinner than many restaurants like O’Hana can be packed and have longer waits. We try to eat at the off times, like 4:00pm for dinner and our waits are usually shorter.

If the weather is bad outside, people will want to stay inside until the rain lets up. So you get to sit outside in the rain waiting for your dinner. We had that happen on our first trip at Crystal Palace. It was really raining hard, the porch was full and we weren't seated for at least 45 minutes after our time.

I've experienced both, waiting a ridiculous long amount of time and being seated right away. I think it has to do with the time when you go or how backed up they've gotten. I find in park restaurants usually have a longer wait than hotels. I think the longest I've ever waited was 30 minutes, which was really frustrating with really hungry kids and then not getting our food for another hour.

I've noticed a increase in the wait time as well but that may have more to do with increased crowds than anything else.

As PP's have mentioned time of day, peak season and weather all play a role. A first available for lunch and prompt check in will assure you being seated right away. Dinner is almost always a wait but we mostly do signatures for dinner and eat at 7PM when tables are full.

We have waited some. The worst was a couple of years ago at Garden Grill. We waited almost an hour past our reservation time. What made it even more annoying was people who arrived after us were seated before us. All they kept saying was “yep, we have you on the list”. Ugh. Usually though we are seated within 10-15 minutes of our time. One caveat is we typically book earlier (5:00ish) dining times as we don’t eat breakfast, so we eat early lunches. That definitely does help with seating.

For the most part I've had good luck, even at Le Cellier. But it could have been our party size, the first 2 times it was a party of 2 and the 3rd time we were at a 4 top.

I feel like Ohana breakfast was the only one with a wait, and even that was quick. By the time we parked the stroller the pager buzzed.

During our last 2 trips (T-Day and Christmas/New Year) I can recall waiting at 5 restaurants over the course of almost 4 weeks (each trip was at least a week and half long).

We ate at 'Ohana during November and it was the shortest wait we ever had there..about 2 or 3 minutes. I made a later evening ADR to avoid the "stroller set";). I like little ones and all but staying at the Poly and walking through the lobby hearing and seeing the noisy atmosphere when the restaurant first opens made me leery of eating there too early.

Tokyo Dining was our longest wait at approximately 15 minutes. It was helpful that they give you a beeper to return to the podium and we had an enjoyable time window shopping in the department store as we waited for our audible notification.

Tiffins let us wait just long enough to stop in the restrooms and wash our hands before eating.

VN's wait was about 10 minutes.

Citerico's wait was made nice by comfortable seating in the anteroom and a look at that night's menu for V+A.

Over 4 trips the restaurant that we have always had a wait was 1900 Park Fare. We typically eat around 5:30 and have always had to wait there.

Over 4 trips the restaurant that we have always had a wait was 1900 Park Fare. We typically eat around 5:30 and have always had to wait there.

Us too, but thank goodness for their beepers. We were able to go outside, have some nice family pictures done, walk around, and play some lawn games that were set up. I want to say we waited about 30 minutes, maybe a little more.

I agree that off-peak times makes this a non-issue, but of course that might not be when you prefer to eat. This is reason #872 that I love Epcot - while I love many TS restaurants in the park you can very easily and enjoyably eat and drink your way around the world at all of the QS/kiosk locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter