Waitlist impossibilities

No. It isn't. But I started trying to book at just shy of 7 months. Lucked into a 1BR @ SSR after about a week and a half of looking and finding NOTHING and have been watching for any sort of movement at all ever since.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but this year the RunDisney Wine and Dine race weekend starts Oct 31st. A race, Food and Wine, Halloween time and SWGE all together would make it busier than usual IMO. I too have booked the Halloween week at 7 months and had choices. That wasn't happening this year. I'm not particularly expecting it to go back to the way it was though as things availability only seems to get tighter and tighter during the last months of the year.

I am going on a solo 4-night trip end of October, first DVC stay.... I've been checking like a maniac multiple times a day. At the moment I have 2 nights at OKW standard and 2 nights at SSR preferred. Hoping I can get it to one resort but we'll see! Also waitlisted at Boardwalk garden and SSR standard.
Can we please build more resorts???? :)

I am going on a solo 4-night trip end of October, first DVC stay.... I've been checking like a maniac multiple times a day. At the moment I have 2 nights at OKW standard and 2 nights at SSR preferred. Hoping I can get it to one resort but we'll see! Also waitlisted at Boardwalk garden and SSR standard.

New resorts are sold to be booked 100% year round too. The new owners would just be booking the rooms and availability wouldn’t improve. It’s actually gotten worse and worse as new resorts are added! (Not that that is really the reason but it doesn’t improve things).

Good luck with getting into 1 location. With the SSR Refurb going on I’ve seen at least twice that they’ve added room availabiliy. I think there’s a good chance you’ll end up at least getting that. What I’d suggest though is that you waitlist OKW for the SSR nights and vice versa to get into 1 resort. Then if one of those happens to try to a different resort if you wish to.

Why not waitlist the two nights you need at OKW or the two nights you need at SSR? Two nights are going to be easier to get than four nights. Building more DVC resorts will only make it harder to book at a non-home resort. You have Aulani owners, CCV and PVB owners who have to compete with the large number of points going to bungalows and cabins, plus VB and HHI owners all trying to book something at WDW at seven months out.

Disney is responsible for the difficulties of decreased availability at 7 months.

1. The online program makes it very easy for people to book and use their points. And they do. This is actually a good thing.

2. The program makes it easier for people to rent out their points when they aren't going to use them. This means that points get used and take up reservations, instead of expiring. However, another part of this is that Disney has made it very attractive to rent points out by raising the prices of rooms so very high. So, more points get used. If you have 50 points you are going to lose, but points only rent for $5 each then you stand to lose maybe $250. Not nice, but not a really big deal. But if points are going for $20 a point (and I have rented a lot of points at $20 a point) then your 50 points becomes $1000. That is much more significant!!!

3. Disney did establish a program in DVC that has some intrinsic value. Unlike most timeshares, where point value gradually goes to zero, the DVC points retain value, as long as they can be used to stay at the very expensive resorts that Disney has created by raising their prices. This makes it worthwhile for people to SELL their points on the RESALE market when they get tired of them, or too old for them, or their circumstances change. So, points that used to sit around doing nothing, now go into the hands of people (the resale buyers) who are more likely to use them.

4. HHI and Vero Beach owners who bought resale. This is a special sub category of resale buyers, not just because they bought contracts, and kept them active, but also because they are especially likely to shift from their Home Resort to use them at Disney World. The original owners of HHI and VB were likely to have purchased those locations because they LIKED those locations. But as the population has aged and changed and new resale buyers have come in, a very very large part of those resale buyers bought VB and HHI, with no intention to ever stay there, but because they were cheap, and it gave them an inexpensive way to stay at Disney World. This puts more pressure on the rest of the system.

5. Disney has sold too many small contracts. Contracts that only have enough points to stay in studios. So all the studios book up, and this then causes a cascade effect, forcing other people, who formerly stayed in studios, to use up their points by staying in other rooms, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom units. These units were also more available in the past because the people using them formerly spent their points on studios.

6. Disney came up with the genius idea to designate certain units, Polynesian Bungalows in particular, but also others such as Copper Creek cabins, as "very high point reservoir units." In other words, make bungalows and cabins in order to create a lot of (inexpensive to build) points that Disney could sell. And they knew, or should have known that people would not choose to use their points so wastefully, on the Bungalows. Even better for Disney, they can now rent those out. Meanwhile the points that ARE NOT USED to stay in the bungalows go into the general pool and soak up other reservations at other places.

7. Disney made a mistake by building Aulani. I don't care how much Disney tries to put a rosy face on it and cherry pick their statistics to deny that Aulani people are actually staying at Disney world - the Aulani owners actually ARE staying at Disney World. Why? Because it costs less to fly to Orlando from EVERYWHERE in the continental United States (even the west coast), than to fly to Hawaii. Besides, Disney World is a whole lot more fun and interesting than Aulani. Just the fact that Aulani is still only about half sold out, AFTER ALL THESE YEARS, shows that people don't want to stay there. And the people who don't want to stay there includes the people who actually bought it. (I'm not talking about EVERYONE, but a significant percentage.) Disney should have known better.

8. Because it is getting harder to book, people ARE planning their vacations farther out, both in the 11 month window and in the 7 month window. They know that to get what they want, they MUST plan ahead, or they are likely to find themselves with poor options. This takes inventory out of the pool, earlier, and makes it nearly impossible to plan late notice vacations.

Am I missing any other major factors?

The fact is, even if people are only using 10% more of their points than they did in the past, this is enough to tip the balance and make it hard to get reservations with short notice. And, when you add up the points that formerly went unused, and the points being used because they are 'rentable,' and the points that are being switched to standard DVC units instead of being used on Bungalows, Aulani, HHI and VB, you will find a far greater increase in the number of people competing for the same reservations.

This is a great breakdown. I agree with all of them, but especially agree with 5 & 6 being big factors. I have a friend who is an Aulani owner (we live in CA), and she has gone there several times, and only once to WDW on points for a big trip (might have had a smaller race type trip on points too, but I think she stayed with her sister elsewhere). There are a lot of frustrated west coast owners who bought at Aulani and want to use it at VGC, but that is just impossible as the VGC owners use their points at VGC (I know I do).

There are a lot of frustrated west coast owners who bought at Aulani and want to use it at VGC, but that is just impossible as the VGC owners use their points at VGC (I know I do).

Yeah, Disney is still, in essence, telling people that they can use their points to stay ANYWHERE in the 7 month window. NO PROBLEM AT ALL, as long as it is available. People don't hear that last part, because they deliberately set up the presentation in a way that they de-emphasize it. IF they bring that point up at all. It is dishonest.

An honest sales presentation would include the following: "When you buy DVC, make sure to pick the resort that you really want to stay at, because, though it is SOMETIMES possible to stay at other resorts, by booking in the 0 to 7 month window, the availability is very limited, and very few of the 'most popular' properties and units just at not available in the 7 month window."

And, for the West Coast people I would say, "In particular, if you are buying somewhere else and you expect to use it at Grand Californian in the 7 month window, you need to know that Grand Californian only has 50 total units. Compared to other DVC properties that have multiple hundreds of units. Pretty much, Bigfoot is more likely to walk through the lobby of the Grand Californian, than for someone to stay at Grand Californian by using their points from another DVC property."

For Aulani purchasers, they should use the following: "Aulani is a wonderful property. It has a great Hawaiian location, but make sure that Hawaii vacations are what you want for the future. It is possible to use your points in the 7 month window to try to stay somewhere else, but most of the time the only other DVC properties that will have significant access at the 7 month window are Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, and Animal Kingdom Villas. In large part this is due to the fact that those 3 properties are the largest of all DVC properties. But, there are times when only Saratoga Springs is left, and during the busiest season even that isn't available. Other properties tend to not be available in the 7 month window."

Now, I KNOW they aren't going to do any of what I have said above. IT WOULDN'T BE CONDUCIVE TO GETTING THEIR SALES. But it would be extremely honest of them to do it.

Thanks friends for the feedback. I have great news. I thought I had botched my "first welcome home" due to playing around on the site. But my sales agent pulled some strings, and I got it, at Boardwalk :) So hooray for this time! But yes this availability stuff really puts a damper on last minute plans hey?

Yes, I keep forgetting that the DVC 'Guide' who sells you your stuff can arrange for a special, new owner, one time, Welcome Home Exception. I forget it because they never told me. I never knew that and the result was that right after I first bought 5 contracts Direct, I went to Grand Californian and wasted nearly $5000 for my family and I to stay there for a few days. My Guide knew it, too, since I told her what I planned to do. Later I found out that maybe, if I had asked, that my Guide might have been able to get it for me with some of my points. Gee, thanks. And they never offered me a back pack or a tote bag, either.

Thanks friends for the feedback. I have great news. I thought I had botched my "first welcome home" due to playing around on the site. But my sales agent pulled some strings, and I got it, at Boardwalk :) So hooray for this time! But yes this availability stuff really puts a damper on last minute plans hey?
Last minute and DVC won't work any more

Yes, I keep forgetting that the DVC 'Guide' who sells you your stuff can arrange for a special, new owner, one time, Welcome Home Exception. I forget it because they never told me. I never knew that and the result was that right after I first bought 5 contracts Direct, I went to Grand Californian and wasted nearly $5000 for my family and I to stay there for a few days. My Guide knew it, too, since I told her what I planned to do. Later I found out that maybe, if I had asked, that my Guide might have been able to get it for me with some of my points. Gee, thanks. And they never offered me a back pack or a tote bag, either.

MS can book the Welcome Home too. It's actually in the paperwork your given too.

I just posted something similar to this, prior to finding this post.

It is so incredibly frustrating.

And then I listen to this week's show and they are talking about how SLOW cash bookings are for fall. :headache: Seriously feel like I am banging my head against a wall. :sad:

And then I listen to this week's show and they are talking about how SLOW cash bookings are for fall. :headache: Seriously feel like I am banging my head against a wall. :sad:
I don't understand your issue with this. Can you explain?

I don't understand your issue with this. Can you explain?

I can pay cash now and stay wherever I want this fall. If Pete is right, that would probably include a discount to be announced soon. But because I've been paying my $$ for the last 10 years instead I am barely able to squeak in a reservation on points anywhere at all.

I can pay cash now and stay wherever I want this fall. If Pete is right, that would probably include a discount to be announced soon. But because I've been paying my $$ for the last 10 years instead I am barely able to squeak in a reservation on points anywhere at all.

2 completely different models and isn’t any different than it’s been for the last decade. If you want last minute reservations for particular resorts during the fall then paying cash would always have been the way to go during that time. You do have an option - you could choose to rent your existing reservation or to rent your points and book a room on cash. Or bank the points to use on a different trip and book the cash room this fall.

Different inventory. What is points is points and what is cash is cash. Cash inventory may be the small percentage owned by Disney, plus any traded by owners for non-DVC vacations like DCL or ABD or any unsold inventory.

I totally understand that. Doesn't make it any less frustrating. 10 years of vacations and we've NEVER had trouble finding what we want (not just feeling lucky to find something anywhere) - whether we were booking at 11, 7 or less. Maybe we have just been ridiculously lucky and I am crazy and naive. The experience with this trip has been completely different. than all of our past booking experiences. That's all I'm saying.

I totally understand that. Doesn't make it any less frustrating. 10 years of vacations and we've NEVER had trouble finding what we want (not just feeling lucky to find something anywhere) - whether we were booking at 11, 7 or less. Maybe we have just been ridiculously lucky and I am crazy and naive. The experience with this trip has been completely different. than all of our past booking experiences. That's all I'm saying.
Well, five and a half months out for late October is kind of late.

Really hard to book anything in the Fall, outside of SSR, from October to early January. I sometimes have luck with WL when I do it for a day or 2 days at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter