Walk out of ADR without fee?

The few times I've had to alter a reservation, including cancelling due to illness, during the 24 charge timeframe, I've had no trouble getting the charge waived by 1) being nice and 2) explaining why I couldn't make the reservation. I really think Disney is trying to avoid no-shows and not be mean to "life happening." Overall, nobody at Disney or elsewhere would want children to be scared/terrified or someone dining that was ill/vomiting every few minutes. See my point? But I do think it's common courtesy to be friendly and not just ditch, if at all possible. Sometimes it's not possible, maybe it's a single parent with one terrified kid, etc. etc. As far as the folks that show up and there's a long wait between your ADR scheduled time and the actual seating time, you'd be doing them a favor to leave since obviously the restaurant is behind. Folks cancelling speed up the slow-down and will prevent angry people later in the evening. Therefore, I'd think it would be no trouble in this situation, but again, I would be nice and let the hostess/host know what you're doing and not just leave. In the end, if you are charged, a firm yet kind call to Disney Guest Relations later on should get any charge cleared.

But why would anyone just walk out without telling SOMEONE why?

That was the OP's whole question, she didn't like the staff's attitude so she wondered if she could have just left without talking to them further.

Once you are checked in, you should be fine. They don't track how long you are in the restaurant and they don't check you out when you leave so they would have no way of knowing how long you were in the restaurant. I would suggest always telling somebody that you are leaving and why (regardless of the reason) as a courtesy and that would also help ensure there would be no charge. If there were a no-show charge, I would dispute it.

They'll know for sure if you were already seated and then left without telling anyone and without ordering anything. I still think it'd be up to the restaurant.

Just interjecting - we went to RFC here at the MOA a few weeks ago for a birthday. I commented then that my favorite part was seeing which kids were going to lose their shizz each thunderstorm. It used to be my kids. That storm is LOUD and sudden. I, as an adult, love it. But, man, you can count on at least a handful of meltdowns each time..
We were just there recently at MOA and DH and I were sat near the front. There is a panther or something right near the entrance and every time someone is near it makes a sound. Well the restaurant was packed so we heard that during the entire meal. It was super annoying.

Thank you for the responses. The person who tried to sit us disappeared spontaneously when my children started losing it...and it was I'd say a good five minutes before we could catch someone else to help us out while we just stood there around the table we were obviously not going to sit at. Then they hat to contact I don't know how many people through their earphones, rolling their eyes at us, before they sat us somewhere else. And there were at least 7 tables around that could accommodate us somewhere else as we walked through the restaurant and she kept saying "I don't know". So when we sat down close to the entrance, there was no way I was going to "inconvenience" another server, sheesh. They made us feel like slime, and Iguess I didn't stick up for myself or my kids. Frankly, the restaurants in disney springs are all packed, getting something else when your kids are already starving is just aggravating the situation. At least now Ihave a greaty story to tell when they get married, hahaha! But seriously, this was no Disney service...you could tell.

Thank you for the responses. The person who tried to sit us disappeared spontaneously when my children started losing it...and it was I'd say a good five minutes before we could catch someone else to help us out while we just stood there around the table we were obviously not going to sit at. Then they hat to contact I don't know how many people through their earphones, rolling their eyes at us, before they sat us somewhere else. And there were at least 7 tables around that could accommodate us somewhere else as we walked through the restaurant and she kept saying "I don't know". So when we sat down close to the entrance, there was no way I was going to "inconvenience" another server, sheesh. They made us feel like slime, and Iguess I didn't stick up for myself or my kids. Frankly, the restaurants in disney springs are all packed, getting something else when your kids are already starving is just aggravating the situation. At least now Ihave a greaty story to tell when they get married, hahaha! But seriously, this was no Disney service...you could tell.
Because Rainforest Cafe is not a Disney Restaurant. It's a nationwide chain like Applebees or Chilis

and it was I'd say a good five minutes before we could catch someone else to help us out while we just stood there around the table we were obviously not going to sit at.
Just curious why one adult didn't go look for someone?
Then they hat to contact I don't know how many people through their earphones, rolling their eyes at us, before they sat us somewhere else.
Maybe they were rolling their eyes at having to talk to do many people - not at you.
And there were at least 7 tables around that could accommodate us
Likely a staffing issue. Restaurants are reluctant to seat guests at tables with no server assigned.

I don't think anyone here can give you a definitive answer on this particular situation. I know once, at FF, they were seating way behind schedule and I simply told them my DS wouldn't be able to wait that long and there was zero issue.
Interesting. We had a similar issue at FF after waiting 1 hour after checking in, they seem to have seating issues. We also spoke with them and were allowed to leave with no penalty after that disaster situation.

Rainforest isn't a Disney restaurant so it's hard to gauge how they would handle it.

Just this week, the party in the car behind us at SciFi were expecting a favorite item on the menu that the waitress informed them had been removed some time ago. They did not want to stay and asked if they would get charged the fee for leaving. She told them that once they check in, they technically didn't miss the reservation and would be fine to leave without the fee.

But since Rainforest is not a Disney restaurant, I'm not sure if they follow the same train of thought as others onsite.

I'm sorry you had such a miserable night out :(

They made us feel like slime, and Iguess I didn't stick up for myself or my kids. Frankly, the restaurants in disney springs are all packed, getting something else when your kids are already starving is just aggravating the situation. At least now Ihave a greaty story to tell when they get married, hahaha!

Dude. I want to hug you right now. Because hindsight is 20/20 and in the moment you just want your kids fed and to get out in time for bedtime. We went through a screaming dinner at T Rex for the same reason. My son flipped out at every comet, but we needed to eat and it was later than we all wanted to be out. It happens. Disney vacations are 100% more stressful than most, and I'd say a good part of that is due to dining. No lie. It's crazy. We've had kids puke at the table, screaming, sleeping, all of it. Mostly, we roll with it, but the staff have been super supportive when we ask them to help (i.e., we need to leave NOW).

Disney vacations are 100% more stressful than most, and I'd say a good part of that is due to dining.
I agree that WDW can be stressful, but have never felt dining to be a cause of the stress. For us the stress has been due to crowds, lines, transportation, etc.

To the contrary, sitting down to eat a TS meal is sometimes the only time we really get to relax during a hectic day at WDW.

Reactions: Iya
At this point (with older kids) I would agree with you. But when our kids were younger, Table Service meals were a nightmare. Our sensory kid puked or screamed through every meal, or we waiting so long that both kids ended up falling asleep at the table. I am very glad those years are over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter