Walking runDisney....thoughts?

LynnF0513

Mouseketeer
Hey guys! I know this has been discussed 1,000 times (probably) but I signed up for the runDisney Enchanted 10K to be held during the Princess Marathon Weekend a couple months ago and have come to the harsh realization that running is not going to be an option. :sad:

I have been training for months and have wicked Medial Shin Splints due to a bad ankle break. I have done everything; KTape, Compression Sleeves, Running Socks, Orthotics, Fitted for shoes at a local run company, changed running surfaces, you name it and I just can't shake them so....

I'm at the point that I'm no longer trying to reclaim my youth and have accepted that my shins just don't want me to run anymore. The good news is I can keep pace walking (currently between a 14-15:30 minute mile, and can hold this pace). My question is am I going to look totally stupid walking the 10K? Will I be ran over? I hope to finish it in a good time and then do the Tower 10mi in October. I'm disappointed that I will have to walk it BUT I don't want to miss out on the events as I love them.

Can any of my dis'ers out there offer some insight? :thumbsup2

~L

There are many walkers at disney races. There are many walkers at other races! Don't worry about it.

Thanks guys! It's just disheartening for me. I want to run but my body says no, no, no. I've done other walks before (actually doing the heart walk in memory of my dad this weekend) but never walked a runDisney event. I guess to each their own I just don't want to be trampled or get the why are you here vibe :lmao:

As long as you maintain the pace nobody cares. I run sbout half my distances than walk the rest. I always finish under the 16 min mile requirement.

There are LOTS of walkers at these events. Sometimes the walkers outnumber the runners if you are in a later corral. To be totally honest, it can be difficult to keep a good jogging pace at some runDisney events because there are so many walkers that the runners have to run around to pass them (at least that was my experience at the 2012 Princess 1/2, but I was in one of the last corrals.) Regardless, the vast majority of people at there races are there for the fun and not to earn their fastest time, so have fun and do what works best for you:). Everyone is very supportive -- I've seen runners who finished earlier cheering on walkers or slow down if they saw someone who needed help.

They did sweep people off the course last time I did the Princess. I can't remember if the cut-off time was a 14 minute mile or a 16 minute mile though. They gave a warning that you were in danger of getting pulled off the course, and if you weren't able to pick up your pace, they loaded you on a bus and took you to the finish line. (I don't know if they sweep slow walkers during a 10 k) This happened to my friend, who was okay with it because she had some foot issues and hadn't been able to train as much as she wanted to. She still got a finishers medal and had a good time. I know that some people debate about the merits of the finisher's medal given to non- finishers, but I don't really care what other people get. We're all there for the fun, right?

Good luck and have fun!

Sorry to hear about the medical issues. I wish I could walk that fast. I had a hard time maintaining that pace while using the Galloway Run/Walk method in the beginning.

I say if you can maintain that pace while walking go ahead and enjoy the event. Have a blast. Who cares what others think about walking. A lot of people will walk/run thru the entire event. I am going to be one of those run/walkers. To me this is about personal achievement. Keeping one healthy.

If you stay towards the sides you will not get ran over. There have been some in the 2 RD runs I have done that were not quite polite. I have also seen this chasing friends around the course in years past to get their on course photos.

hunner said:
There are LOTS of walkers at these events. Sometimes the walkers outnumber the runners if you are in a later corral. To be totally honest, it can be difficult to keep a good jogging pace at some runDisney events because there are so many walkers that the runners have to run around to pass them (at least that was my experience at the 2012 Princess 1/2, but I was in one of the last corrals.) Regardless, the vast majority of people at there races are there for the fun and not to earn their fastest time, so have fun and do what works best for you:). Everyone is very supportive -- I've seen runners who finished earlier cheering on walkers or slow down if they saw someone who needed help.

They did sweep people off the course last time I did the Princess. I can't remember if the cut-off time was a 14 minute mile or a 16 minute mile though. They gave a warning that you were in danger of getting pulled off the course, and if you weren't able to pick up your pace, they loaded you on a bus and took you to the finish line. (I don't know if they sweep slow walkers during a 10 k) This happened to my friend, who was okay with it because she had some foot issues and hadn't been able to train as much as she wanted to. She still got a finishers medal and had a good time. I know that some people debate about the merits of the finisher's medal given to non- finishers, but I don't really care what other people get. We're all there for the fun, right?

Good luck and have fun!

Pace requirement is 16 mins average and they start the clock as the last person crosse the start mat. They usually have 2 volunteers who are the last people to cross so runDisney knows exactly who it is. If you are in danger of being swept volunteers on bikes will ride by and tell you.

That was one of my biggest fears, I don't want to be a nuisance. I planned to stay to the sides and pictures are probably not going to be for me considering I'll be alone. If push came to shove I could run and crush the ibuprofen afterwards but then what fun is it? I'd be hurting and then the rest of my weekend shot. No fun!

I wouldn't even attend If I was unable to keep pace but at 14-1530 I feel that's under 16 and should be good enough. I'm currently at 5 miles maintaining this pace with my slower times in the beginning and I'm starting in the 11-13 minute corral as that would have been my running pace. I have zero intention on allowing myself to get swept as I have several people who will be waiting for me at the finish and I have every intention of them seeing me cross it but I do want to be respectful of the runners.

Wish my stupid shin would stop this nonsense!

Pace requirement is 16 mins average and they start the clock as the last person crosse the start mat. They usually have 2 volunteers who are the last people to cross so runDisney knows exactly who it is. If you are in danger of being swept volunteers on bikes will ride by and tell you.

I wondered exactly how this worked. I've read up on it but was unsure of how they identify where the pacer is. So basically if the pacers pass you they come behind and pick you up. Makes sense.

LynnF0513 said:
That was one of my biggest fears, I don't want to be a nuisance. I planned to stay to the sides and pictures are probably not going to be for me considering I'll be alone. If push came to shove I could run and crush the ibuprofen afterwards but then what fun is it? I'd be hurting and then the rest of my weekend shot. No fun!

I wouldn't even attend If I was unable to keep pace but at 14-1530 I feel that's under 16 and should be good enough. I'm currently at 5 miles maintaining this pace with my slower times in the beginning and I'm starting in the 11-13 minute corral as that would have been my running pace. I have zero intention on allowing myself to get swept as I have several people who will be waiting for me at the finish and I have every intention of them seeing me cross it but I do want to be respectful of the runners.

Have you tried medical grade compression sleeves or socks?

Have you tried medical grade compression sleeves or socks?

Yes ma'am. My problem is my running technique and no tape or professional sleeve is going to help that. I use to be a runner. Broke my tibia and fibula in my left and had to have a ORIF. Because of so much pain I started forefoot striking to make the impact to my ankle minimal (amazing how the body makes those adjustments). Even though I've had NO ankle pain at all (miracle) I'm having a hard time retraining myself. It's so frustrating for me. I got orthotics from my podiatrist (as well as the sleeves), and he told me 92% of my impact is on my forefoot, which of course explains my suicidal medial splints. If you look at my shoes forefoot is to the rubber rest of the shoe looks untouched. Don't know how to correct it. I try to be conscious of it but when I'm going I'm not thinking about it in just running naturally.

LynnF0513 said:
Yes ma'am. My problem is my running technique and no tape or professional sleeve is going to help that. I use to be a runner. Broke my tibia and fibula in my left and had to have a ORIF. Because of so much pain I started forefoot striking to make the impact to my ankle minimal (amazing how the body makes those adjustments). Even though I've had NO ankle pain at all (miracle) I'm having a hard time retraining myself. It's so frustrating for me. I got orthotics from my podiatrist (as well as the sleeves), and he told me 92% of my impact is on my forefoot, which of course explains my suicidal medial splints. If you look at my shoes forefoot is to the rubber rest of the shoe looks untouched. Don't know how to correct it. I try to be conscious of it but when I'm going I'm not thinking about it in just running naturally.

Man that stinks. I would imagine something like that isnhard to retrain. You'll be fine walking. You might even try a run walk sequence if you can think about proper strike for short periods.

I wondered exactly how this worked. I've read up on it but was unsure of how they identify where the pacer is. So basically if the pacers pass you they come behind and pick you up. Makes sense.

The "balloon ladies" are unofficial pacers. There are two or three women who carry helium balloons and are the very last people to cross the start line. They keep a strict 16 minute per mile pace. Anyone who falls behind them has the possibility of being picked up.

Man that stinks. I would imagine something like that isnhard to retrain. You'll be fine walking. You might even try a run walk sequence if you can think about proper strike for short periods.

It really does stink! Funny...that's what I have been doing. 3.5 miles Sunday. Jogged/ran a total of 1.5 of the 3.5 (in intervals)...I'm in agony. 800mg of ibuprofen cures it but I can't live on it, bad for my health. I'm actually looking into getting a chi walking instructor for a private session but am still researching it. You would fall out if you knew what I've spent trying to fix this. Shoes, orthotics, KTape, sleeves, socks, massage therapy. What's one more personal trainer right?! LOL

The "balloon ladies" are unofficial pacers. There are two or three women who carry helium balloons and are the very last people to cross the start line. They keep a strict 16 minute per mile pace. Anyone who falls behind them has the possibility of being picked up.

Thanks for the clarification! I'm sure they are lovely ladies but don't have any intent on meeting them LOL :)

LynnF0513 said:
It really does stink! Funny...that's what I have been doing. 3.5 miles Sunday. Jogged/ran a total of 1.5 of the 3.5 (in intervals)...I'm in agony. 800mg of ibuprofen cures it but I can't live on it, bad for my health. I'm actually looking into getting a chi walking instructor for a private session but am still researching it. You would fall out if you knew what I've spent trying to fix this. Shoes, orthotics, KTape, sleeves, socks, massage therapy. What's one more personal trainer right?! LOL

I hear yah on the money front. I did that when I pulled a tendon in my foot to get me back into shape. Sometimes I think flushing money down the toliet would be faster and give the same results haha.

That was one of my biggest fears, I don't want to be a nuisance.....

The ONE thing I would say to you is to *watch the elbows*. At DL Half and last Sunday's 10k in town, there are some walkers who just swing those elbows (or whole arms) like crazy. I don't imagine they know they are doing it, and it makes me want to have someone neutral watch my form while running and walking, to make sure I'm not doing anything like that.

Since I'm short and it seems the swinging-arm-walkers are tall, I feel in constant peril.

Obviously your situation is known by you and you know if this is possible, but my own person shin splints were healed by chiropractors. Not ones like I was when I was in practice (I *only* dealt with the spine) but with more lenient ones who knew how to manipulate the lower leg and knee. For me, a very simple, non-painful movement helped to realign my lower leg bones and my knee, and as a teen who was getting pretty debilitated by my running (with our malamute) and all of my aerobics (80s is-there-anything-but-high impact style!) it was good to be healthy again.

I now have my feet, ankles, and legs looked at by my chiro, along with the rest of me, regularly. He has helped me immensely.

And...with a forefoot strike, have you considered transitioning to a shoe that naturally allows that, without the big built up heel? I've slowly switched down to a minimal shoe and it matches that forefoot strike a lot easier, with less pain and exhaustion in the leg. I"m not up to the Half distance in my New Balance Minimus yet, but I got the Nike Free and that's what I ran Disneyland in. They did a decent job. I didn't have to fight them like I had to fight my Asics (and Brooks and Saucony and other Nikes and other Asics and and and...I have a shoe graveyard in my house and car trunk!)

To me the really wonderful thing about runDisney is that it celebrates the ability to take on such a challenge and finish, whether you be fast or slow.

I experience intense physical pain when I actually run. I've tried different things, but in the end, the pain always comes back. I can either walk these events or not even compete in them. So I choose to walk them. I've finished 3 runDisney 1/2 marathons including the 2012 Coast to Coast with times ranging between 3:05 and 3:12.

I started to consider runDisney because finishers told me that I could actually walk the course and still finish. Their encouragement helped persuade me it was actually doable. I say walk the race, enjoy it, and celebrate it. If anybody cares that you walk it, that's their issue.

I hear yah on the money front. I did that when I pulled a tendon in my foot to get me back into shape. Sometimes I think flushing money down the toliet would be faster and give the same results haha.

Preach it! The really nutty thing is I thought I would be struggling with my ankle so for it to be my shin is extra frustrating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter