Walking runDisney....thoughts?

The ONE thing I would say to you is to *watch the elbows*. At DL Half and last Sunday's 10k in town, there are some walkers who just swing those elbows (or whole arms) like crazy. I don't imagine they know they are doing it, and it makes me want to have someone neutral watch my form while running and walking, to make sure I'm not doing anything like that. Since I'm short and it seems the swinging-arm-walkers are tall, I feel in constant peril.

Obviously your situation is known by you and you know if this is possible, but my own person shin splints were healed by chiropractors. Not ones like I was when I was in practice (I *only* dealt with the spine) but with more lenient ones who knew how to manipulate the lower leg and knee. For me, a very simple, non-painful movement helped to realign my lower leg bones and my knee, and as a teen who was getting pretty debilitated by my running (with our malamute) and all of my aerobics (80s is-there-anything-but-high impact style!) it was good to be healthy again. I now have my feet, ankles, and legs looked at by my chiro, along with the rest of me, regularly. He has helped me immensely. And...with a forefoot strike, have you considered transitioning to a shoe that naturally allows that, without the big built up heel? I've slowly switched down to a minimal shoe and it matches that forefoot strike a lot easier, with less pain and exhaustion in the leg. I"m not up to the Half distance in my New Balance Minimus yet, but I got the Nike Free and that's what I ran Disneyland in. They did a decent job. I didn't have to fight them like I had to fight my Asics (and Brooks and Saucony and other Nikes and other Asics and and and...I have a shoe graveyard in my house and car trunk!)

You make some GREAT points. Oh those elbows! There's actually a walker in my neighborhood that does this. To me she looks like she belongs at the Short Track Speed Skating event in the Olympics and I can't help but think if I caught one of those to the forehead.... I'm 5'1" so it wouldn't be that far fetched lol. I will most certainly keep an eye out!

A Chiropractor is a wonderful idea! I toyed with this initially but opted for the massage therapy body work instead (which along kills me every time). I work for a health system so it would be nothing for me to get an appointment. What can it hurt? Nothing...especially since I am desperate.

I actually did consider transitioning to a zero drop shoe but my ankle needs that stability support. With the plate and screw placement and my extensive over pronation there's just no way. i did talk about this with my orthopedic surgeon and he was totally a NO on it. In fact, he doesn't even want me running but I'm stubborn and figure if these amazing souls can run with a prosthetic I can run with a couple screws!

I'm about to do some roadwork now but am going to research a chiropractor with extremity concentration expertise when I get into work, Thanks SO much for the advice!

To me the really wonderful thing about runDisney is that it celebrates the ability to take on such a challenge and finish, whether you be fast or slow. I experience intense physical pain when I actually run. I've tried different things, but in the end, the pain always comes back. I can either walk these events or not even compete in them. So I choose to walk them.

I've finished 3 runDisney 1/2 marathons including the 2012 Coast to Coast with times ranging between 3:05 and 3:12. I started to consider runDisney because finishers told me that I could actually walk the course and still finish. Their encouragement helped persuade me it was actually doable. I say walk the race, enjoy it, and celebrate it. If anybody cares that you walk it, that's their issue.

This is awesome to hear! I'm beyond the point of frustration with the pain in my shins and if it's not meant to be for me to run then I'll have to accept it. I'm stubborn but not to the point of self destruction.

What great times for walking! I'd like to get consistently under 15 but that for me is flat moving considering I'm 5'1" lol. Did you build up your mileage gradually or do a certain walking plan?

It really does stink! Funny...that's what I have been doing. 3.5 miles Sunday. Jogged/ran a total of 1.5 of the 3.5 (in intervals)...I'm in agony. 800mg of ibuprofen cures it but I can't live on it, bad for my health. I'm actually looking into getting a chi walking instructor for a private session but am still researching it. You would fall out if you knew what I've spent trying to fix this. Shoes, orthotics, KTape, sleeves, socks, massage therapy. What's one more personal trainer right?! LOL

Walkers are so common at RunDisney events that at the DL 10K last month, they announced as part of the pre-race festivities that walkers should all start in the last corral. -- Suzanne

I wouldn't even attend If I was unable to keep pace but at 14-1530 I feel that's under 16 and should be good enough. I'm currently at 5 miles maintaining this pace with my slower times in the beginning and I'm starting in the 11-13 minute corral as that would have been my running pace. I have zero intention on allowing myself to get swept as I have several people who will be waiting for me at the finish and I have every intention of them seeing me cross it but I do want to be respectful of the runners.

I may be slightly controversial here, but I think you should move back a few corrals. It's not fair to the people who are running an 11-13 minute pace to have to go around several who are not. Corrals are not an exact science, but when you know you will not make the pace it isn't fair to become an obstacle for those who may be trying to make a PR.

I'm typically about an 8-8.5 minute per mile for a half which typically put me in Corral A at Disney, but I have been to many races (particularly more competitive races where I am middle of the pack) where I've spent the first few miles dodging people who moved up to be with friends or wrongly placed themselves in a corral and it can be both annoying and dangerous (to both the runner and the walker).

I'm not saying move to the last corral, but if you know you won't make the place please at the very least start in the back of the corral or consider moving one or two back.

Well that makes me feel better. At least I won't be the only one lagging behind of that's what it comes to. I hope it's a success for me!

I may be slightly controversial here, but I think you should move back a few corrals. It's not fair to the people who are running an 11-13 minute pace to have to go around several who are not. Corrals are not an exact science, but when you know you will not make the pace it isn't fair to become an obstacle for those who may be trying to make a PR. I'm typically about an 8-8.5 minute per mile for a half which typically put me in Corral A at Disney, but I have been to many races (particularly more competitive races where I am middle of the pack) where I've spent the first few miles dodging people who moved up to be with friends or wrongly placed themselves in a corral and it can be both annoying and dangerous (to both the runner and the walker). I'm not saying move to the last corral, but if you know you won't make the place please at the very least start in the back of the corral or consider moving one or two back.

Thanks for your input but the corral I'm currently in for the 10K is the next to the last. Maybe I have the wrong numbers maybe it's 13-15 but whatever it is I'm in the next to last. I believe I already expressed I didn't intend to be in the way (which is why I posed the thread originally) and advised I wanted to be respectful of the runners. Thanks!

LynnF0513 said:
Thanks for your input but the corral I'm currently in for the 10K is the next to the last. Maybe I have the wrong numbers maybe it's 13-15 but whatever it is I'm in the next to last. I believe I already expressed I didn't intend to be in the way (which is why I posed the thread originally) and advised I wanted to be respectful of the runners. Thanks!

You'll be fine. I'm in the right corral for my speed but at some point will be walking because I use the Galloway method. It is all about respect. I stay to the right when walking and always announce it and look behind me before I slow down. If someone has a problem with that they probably shouldn't run disney races since their official training program is for the Galloway method.

You'll be fine. I'm in the right corral for my speed but at some point will be walking because I use the Galloway method. It is all about respect. I stay to the right when walking and always announce it and look behind me before I slow down. If someone has a problem with that they probably shouldn't run disney races since their official training program is for the Galloway method.

I feel this way too, I have manners and would absolutely get out of the way for someone who is much faster than myself and will stay as far right as possible while still remaining on the pavement. I'm not that person in the grocery store blocking the aisle without concern for anyone else. :rotfl:

I would love to even be able to follow the Galloway program and Run/Walk. Today I'm practicing a new concept...the Heel-Toe, Heel-Toe oldie but goodie. One of my runner girlfriends suggested I just try to make a concious effort to remember to heel-toe strike. I am doing the 5K AHA Heartwalk on Saturday and am really going to try to focus on this concept to see if it offers any help. I'm going to do strictly cross training until Saturday to give my shins a rest and then see what happens. Fingers crossed! :thumbsup2

Have you had a lot of success with the Galloway Program?

LynnF0513 said:
I feel this way too, I have manners and would absolutely get out of the way for someone who is much faster than myself and will stay as far right as possible while still remaining on the pavement. I'm not that person in the grocery store blocking the aisle without concern for anyone else. :rotfl:

I would love to even be able to follow the Galloway program and Run/Walk. Today I'm practicing a new concept...the Heel-Toe, Heel-Toe oldie but goodie. One of my runner girlfriends suggested I just try to make a concious effort to remember to heel-toe strike. I am doing the 5K AHA Heartwalk on Saturday and am really going to try to focus on this concept to see if it offers any help. I'm going to do strictly cross training until Saturday to give my shins a rest and then see what happens. Fingers crossed! :thumbsup2

Have you had a lot of success with the Galloway Program?

Yep. I went from not being able to run at all no matter how hard I tired (was fit as heck but just not a runner) to be able to run long distance and keep pace. I easily do my runs now. I'm still usually shirt splits (45 sec run/ 1 min walk) but that is because of my mild asthma.

Yep. I went from not being able to run at all no matter how hard I tired (was fit as heck but just not a runner) to be able to run long distance and keep pace. I easily do my runs now. I'm still usually shirt splits (45 sec run/ 1 min walk) but that is because of my mild asthma.

How awesome is that?! I hope to get there. My stamina is there just stupid shin won't let me. I'm going to try the Heel-Toe deal, I mean what can it hurt right? Are you doing the princess in February?

LynnF0513 said:
How awesome is that?! I hope to get there. My stamina is there just stupid shin won't let me. I'm going to try the Heel-Toe deal, I mean what can it hurt right? Are you doing the princess in February?

Sadly no. I have to sit out the January and February races this year because I chose to use my vacation time to visit family and go on a cruise.

Sadly no. I have to sit out the January and February races this year because I chose to use my vacation time to visit family and go on a cruise.

Sounds delightful! I love cruising! So relaxing.

Thank you for all of your input it is really appreciated. I feel much better that even if I have to walk it I will at least be able to complete it. A Run/Walk would be nice though.

Sounds delightful! I love cruising! So relaxing.

Thank you for all of your input it is really appreciated. I feel much better that even if I have to walk it I will at least be able to complete it. A Run/Walk would be nice though.

Lots of people don't run at their estimated pace during the 10k when they are doing the half marathon the next day as part of a challenge. Also, those that do run faster often stop for photos and then sprint through the crowds to the next photo opportunity. So anyone expecting a consistent pace from all those around is probably going to be disappointed.

You'll be fine as a walker or run/walker and you'll still have a blast. -- Suzanne

Lots of people don't run at their estimated pace during the 10k when they are doing the half marathon the next day as part of a challenge. Also, those that do run faster often stop for photos and then sprint through the crowds to the next photo opportunity. So anyone expecting a consistent pace from all those around is probably going to be disappointed.

You'll be fine as a walker or run/walker and you'll still have a blast. -- Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne, this makes me feel a ton better. I honestly do care about my fellow participants and just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be a road hazard. I'm very excited about this event and was starting to feel like I shouldn't have even signed up since I def don't want people to have to dodge me. Sounds like not everyone stays in their own corral and with ump-teen-thousand participants I can imagine things do get crowded.

This echos the way I feel about the whole corral system. I believe the Elites and most of A belong in front and the very slow people belong in the back, but that's it. The rest is a crap shoot. An average pace is really just that, an average over the whole race. Some people run consistently throughout the whole race, but I think most don't.

My running pace is usually around 9:30/mile, but I run/walk, so my actual average is only around 11/mile, sometimes more. When I run, I pass people. When I walk, they pass me. There's no constant flow of traffic.

This echos the way I feel about the whole corral system. I believe the Elites and most of A belong in front and the very slow people belong in the back, but that's it. The rest is a crap shoot. An average pace is really just that, an average over the whole race. Some people run consistently throughout the whole race, but I think most don't.

My running pace is usually around 9:30/mile, but I run/walk, so my actual average is only around 11/mile, sometimes more. When I run, I pass people. When I walk, they pass me. There's no constant flow of traffic.

I most definitely agree with you. There is no way I would even attempt to be anywhere close to the first few corrals mainly b/c 1) there's no way I'd have the proof of time needed to get there in the first place and 2) I have no business being there. I would be a complete road hazard and I want to be respectful of others. I hope this is as great of an experience as I'm hoping it will be.

This is awesome to hear! I'm beyond the point of frustration with the pain in my shins and if it's not meant to be for me to run then I'll have to accept it. I'm stubborn but not to the point of self destruction.

What great times for walking! I'd like to get consistently under 15 but that for me is flat moving considering I'm 5'1" lol. Did you build up your mileage gradually or do a certain walking plan?
I followed the Galloway runDisney plan on the treadmill at my local gym. I set a 15 minute per mile pace and then proceeded to put in the miles. Honestly, the first time I had no idea whether or not it would work. I was too afraid to ask because I was afraid that the best method for me to train might not be good enough to achieve my goal.

I didn't follow the plan perfectly, but always made sure to get all of the long runs in. And while the distance felt impossible at times, continuing to work towards it and never giving up has always worked for me.

My first race was a bad combination of adrenaline and nerves. Fearing that I was too slow to finish, I started too fast out of the last corral and felt a severe pain like shinsplints maybe 1/2 mile into the 2011 Disneyland 1/2. I knew that 5 more minutes, let alone 13 miles with this pain was impossible. But I wanted that finishers medal so I was either going to walk that race as fast as I could(which others had assured me was very doable) or get swept trying. I fell back to trusting that 15 minutes per mile on the treadmill would be good enough. After another 3 hours of refusing to quit and learning some fascinating perspectives on enduring challenges in life along the way, I crossed that finish line.

My one piece of advice to runDisney participants is to trust your training, run (or walk) your race, and enjoy your experience. You're really only competing against yourself. That may not mean that your time will improve, but rather that as you make the sacrifice to train when you don't want to, your physical health will improve and you will learn something about your ability to accomplish hard things that you didn't know before.

My one piece of advice to runDisney participants is to trust your training, run (or walk) your race, and enjoy your experience. You're really only competing against yourself. That may not mean that your time will improve, but rather that as you make the sacrifice to train when you don't want to, your physical health will improve and you will learn something about your ability to accomplish hard things that you didn't know before.

This advice is really uplifting for me. I'm pretty frustrated but it is what it is. My shins just don't like it and if I keep pushing I won't even be walking. I can walk and keep pace I just wanted to be able to run at least some of it BUT I should feel blessed that I'm able to even walk it. Tomorrow is the heart walk 5k so we will see how I do. Thanks for all the info! It was super helpful :)

I am so glad I found this thread. I am signed up for the Haunted 5k. I injured my foot back in June and have not been able to train much, but when I do my foot gets tired very quick. I was really considering not doing the race but this thread has made me rethink that. I am going to go and try it, and at least have fun. Thanks all!:goodvibes

I am so glad I found this thread. I am signed up for the Haunted 5k. I injured my foot back in June and have not been able to train much, but when I do my foot gets tired very quick. I was really considering not doing the race but this thread has made me rethink that. I am going to go and try it, and at least have fun. Thanks all!:goodvibes

Definitely go for it! Most of the 5ks are officially untimed fun runs (yes you get your time but they are not competitive events the way the longer races are). I'd say in most of the Disney 5ks walkers far out number runners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter