• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walking runDisney....thoughts?

I'm happy I found this thread! I used to be a runner, but I was born with hip dysplasia so now I have arthritis and bursitis, so now I'm walking. I signed up for the Pixie Dust Challenge next May, and I'm nervous about getting swept. I'm walking a half marathon on Sunday (Oct 5). So far all my training walks have been between a 14:30 and 14:50 mile. Am I crazy to do the PDC? What would help?

Fa-Miulan go rock that 5k!!!!

I'm happy I found this thread! I used to be a runner, but I was born with hip dysplasia so now I have arthritis and bursitis, so now I'm walking. I signed up for the Pixie Dust Challenge next May, and I'm nervous about getting swept. I'm walking a half marathon on Sunday (Oct 5). So far all my training walks have been between a 14:30 and 14:50 mile. Am I crazy to do the PDC? What would help? Fa-Miulan go rock that 5k!!!!

If you are walking 14:30 to 14:50 miles you'll be more than fine. Is that across several miles?

If you are walking 14:30 to 14:50 miles you'll be more than fine. Is that across several miles?

Yes! For the whole she-bang. I can walk one mile in a little under 12 minutes, but I can't maintain it. 14:30 seems to be a good cruising speed. A little slower up hills. I'm looking forward to sunday to see what I can do. Longest walk so far has been 11 miles.

How does one post "quotes". I just did cut and paste and it didn't work.

If you are walking 14:30 to 14:50 miles you'll be more than fine. Is that across several miles? Yes! For the whole she-bang. I can walk one mile in a little under 12 minutes, but I can't maintain it. 14;30 seems to be a goo cruising speed. A little slow on up hills. I'm looking forward to sunday to see what I can do. Longest walk so far has been 11 miles.

You'll be perfectly fine! I run wall and sometimes only go that fast.

:cheer2::cool1::cheer2:

Thanks for the reply! i'm going to keep working on it! I actually think walking is more tiring than running but a lot less painful!

I found the quote icon!

Got in the half marathon this weekend, and finished 1n 3:18.At the 10k mark I was walking about a 14 minute mile, then I slowed down. I had a blast and today I'm sore but my hip doesn't hurt. I am just going to keep working on maintaining the 14 minute mile for the whole race. By the way there was a couple walking in front of me at the beginning of the race who looked to be at least in their 70's. I couldn't keep up with them and eventually I lost sight of them. They were super speedy! How great is that?! :love:

Got in the half marathon this weekend, and finished 1n 3:18.At the 10k mark I was walking about a 14 minute mile, then I slowed down. I had a blast and today I'm sore but my hip doesn't hurt. I am just going to keep working on maintaining the 14 minute mile for the whole race. By the way there was a couple walking in front of me at the beginning of the race who looked to be at least in their 70's. I couldn't keep up with them and eventually I lost sight of them. They were super speedy! How great is that?! :love:

Congratulations :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Keep this in mind......

Runners who can marathon in +/- 3 hours are definitely athletes but those who take +/- 6 hours are THE endurance athletes since they have the endurance to tuff it out for so much longer.

McFlurry John

Keep this in mind......

Runners who can marathon in +/- 3 hours are definitely athletes but those who take +/- 6 hours are THE endurance athletes since they have the endurance to tuff it out for so much longer.

McFlurry John

Thanks! :tinker: Working towards Tinkerbell!!

Wow!! These icons are so fun!

Keep this in mind......

McFlurry John

Does this still apply to a runner that took over 6 hours to complete a marathon? :lmao: I definitely had a bad day during that race, but I have to laugh when I think that there are people who can walk faster than I ran/walked that race. I should have just walked as fast I could and saved myself the misery.

A six hour marathon sounds amazing!!! Thats 2 back to back half marathons at 3 hours each--thats a lot!!!:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter