WebmasterJackie

Senior Editor for The DIS & DCL Fan
Staff member
Administrator
Walt Disney World has just announced that available reservation dates for the new ‘Good to Go’ days will be announced for Annual Passholders on January 11, 2024. Along with details on reservations, additional details have been released regarding how this will all work when Park Pass Reservations are no longer required for select ticket holders.

We've got an article up on the DIS with all the details!

I think that's what the announcement is about on Jan 11. They'll let us know, as AP holders, dates where we don't require park reservations. For now, we're maintaining park reservations we have later in Jan. If they're not required, Disney will update our reservations. Looking forward to when APs don't require any park reservations, but that doesn't appear to be happening in 2024.

I really dislike that as an AP holder, I need park reservations, and regular ticket holders don't. Why penalize AP holders?

Because they want to know how many people will be in a park that day. With date based tickets they can do that to a great extent even without reservations. With APs they have no idea. At this point, for the VAST majority of days in a year, there is not an issue with reservations and even if there were now, you can hop whenever you want so far easier to work around. I don't love it but there is very logical reason why.

This is really something that needs to be addressed. AP holders staying on property will have more restrictions in their park days than those staying on property without APs.
What does staying on property have to do with anything? The key is type of ticket you have. A date based ticket holder won't need reservations whether or not they are property.

What restriction will an AP holder on property have? By the time an AP holder has made reservations for their on property hotel they'll have already secured reservations. They're not showing up on property and suddenly seeing they can't get into a park they wanted to go to. Don't see any situation where this matters. The reality is other than a few days around Xmas and other holidays, you're very unlikely to see many restrictions at all on AP holders. And with all the good to go days which will likely be many of the lower crowd days, AP holders will be free to make more reservations in advance for the more crowded days (solving the problem with limited reservations).

What does staying on property have to do with anything? The key is type of ticket you have. A date based ticket holder won't need reservations whether or not they are property.

What restriction will an AP holder on property have? By the time an AP holder has made reservations for their on property hotel they'll have already secured reservations. They're not showing up on property and suddenly seeing they can't get into a park they wanted to go to. Don't see any situation where this matters.

For us, it does matter in terms of spontaneity. We don’t live locally but do have APs; we stay onsite 2 or 3 times a year (booking at 11 months out so park reservations are easy to get when we book). Although we may have Epcot reservations, if we don’t feel like Epcot and instead want to go to hollywood studios, the reservation system for AP holders does affect our ability to change plans. It would be nice to not have to make park reservations if we are staying on property.

If I'm an AP Passholder staying on property, Disney most certainly should include me in the bucket of guests with date based tickets. If I'm staying on property, I should have the same freedom as the other guests. I'm in their system as being on property for X amount of days and during that time I shouldn't need a park reservation.

What restriction will an AP holder on property have? By the time an AP holder has made reservations for their on property hotel they'll have already secured reservations. They're not showing up on property and suddenly seeing they can't get into a park they wanted to go to. Don't see any situation where this matters. The reality is other than a few days around Xmas and other holidays, you're very unlikely to see many restrictions at all on AP holders. And with all the good to go days which will likely be many of the lower crowd days, AP holders will be free to make more reservations in advance for the more crowded days (solving the problem with limited reservations).
In the past there was a time where you could wake up in the morning and decide, in the moment (or even night before), what park you wanted to visit that day. We were allowed a level of spontaneity that is no longer there. That is what I miss.

If Disney project park attendance based on daily ticket sales (as mentioned by others in this thread) then I think Disney could make those same calculations while also considering the number of on-site hotel guests as well. That is why I think AP holders with on-sire hotel reservations should be allowed to bypass park reservations.

I am not trying to argue about all of this. I am just stating my preference in how I would like to enjoy my vacation.

In the past there was a time where you could wake up in the morning and decide, in the moment (or even night before), what park you wanted to visit that day. We were allowed a level of spontaneity that is no longer there. That is what I miss.
This...
I used to decide which park I would go to when I was onsite based on the first bus that showed up when I got to the bus stop.

For us, it does matter in terms of spontaneity. We don’t live locally but do have APs; we stay onsite 2 or 3 times a year (booking at 11 months out so park reservations are easy to get when we book). Although we may have Epcot reservations, if we don’t feel like Epcot and instead want to go to hollywood studios, the reservation system for AP holders does affect our ability to change plans. It would be nice to not have to make park reservations if we are staying on property.
I didn't say it doesn't matter to someone personally. The spontaneity aspect is a ticket issue - not an onsite/offsite issue. It doesn't matter in terms of the restrictions. There has been no change from how it currently operates for AP Holders. You're simply saying you'd like to be able to not have to make a reservation if you're on site - you want onsite people to have additional benefits that off-site people don't have. That is an AP/date based ticket holder issue. It has nothing to do with staying on site.

It would be nice to not have to make reservations staying on or off property . . .

It would be nice to not have to make reservations staying on or off property . . .
Agreed. And I think 1/9 takes a big step forward to getting back to pre-park reservation attendance, as a very large percentage of guests won't need them. And I expect the other ticket types, like APs, will eventually get back to that, as well. We're AP and have been doing the park reservations so long now, it doesn't bother us. And with less restrictions around park hopping, it's even less of an issue.

This is really something that needs to be addressed. AP holders staying on property will have more restrictions in their park days than those staying on property without APs.
I 100% agree with you. We all know the reason that WDW is requiring reservations on busier days for APs is because they want to get an idea of crowd levels and staffing. If you already have a date based ticket then they know you are going to the parks that day.

Common sense says most APs who are staying on site are going to go the parks practically every day of their stay. Just include this in the numbers when figuring out staffing.

I really dislike that as an AP holder, I need park reservations, and regular ticket holders don't. Why penalize AP holders?
Because they already have our money,
and want to sell 200 dollar day passes...

Disney has forgotten what customer loyalty and customer equity are

I think if Nelson Peltz ever gets his way they will relearn why Walt called us guests and not customers

I 100% agree with you. We all know the reason that WDW is requiring reservations on busier days for APs is because they want to get an idea of crowd levels and staffing. If you already have a date based ticket then they know you are going to the parks that day.

Common sense says most APs who are staying on site are going to go the parks practically every day of their stay. Just include this in the numbers when figuring out staffing.
This has nothing to do with staffing......

This has to do with day passes....

That's why you have to agree not to sue Disney when you get your annual pass.

We’re thinking of getting APs despite being UK residents given we have trips planned in Feb and Oct. Is there anywhere I can see what availability there is to make park reservations in Feb? I wouldn’t want to buy them only to find out all AP reservations have been ‘sold out’. Or do they never ‘sell out’?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter