Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Reading that list of things you get for the resort fee, I wonder if we are entitled to the extra fast WiFi that they seem to want to sell when you first log in.

IOW, as you’re connecting to the resort’s WiFI for the first time after checking in, you get a message that you can connect to a higher internet speed if you pay for it. Is actually that the “enhanced” high speed Internet mentioned in the resort fee amenities?
Hmm good question. I don't have any recent experience with the in-room internet today. I will know for certain after Memorial week as I got a great deal on Hotwire that was heavily discussed from last month.

My current thoughts would be that the Internet Capture portal software has not been updated to remove the additional pricing options. I have that issue often at other hotels around the world when I stay on a corporate rate or hotel preferred customer rate. When in doubt I always check in person at the front desk and get the name of the person that may confirm that it is indeed free or included.

Dave

Does anyone have any tips on getting to Early Morning Magic from the Swan hotel? The park opens at 7:45 and we have to check in beforehand. I'm thinking a Lyft to Contemporary is probably our best bet... Worried that the bus won't come in enough time..

Does anyone have any tips on getting to Early Morning Magic from the Swan hotel? The park opens at 7:45 and we have to check in beforehand. I'm thinking a Lyft to Contemporary is probably our best bet... Worried that the bus won't come in enough time..

That would be your least costly and best peace of mind choice. Mear's always has town cars outside the Swan and Dolphin which are waiting to take guests anywhere. No waiting, but pricier.

You can also take a Minnie Van from the Swan, if the cost is not prohibitive. You would be dropped off right at MK.

I would go to the bus stop and check to see when the next bus is coming. If you can't tell or it is going to be awhile, then you could order Lyft. We did that staying at the YC. Luckily the board showed our bus coming shortly.

Actually on that note - does anyone know if Starwoods employees get any discounts/benefits? My OH works for them and I've asked him to check, but I am not going to get a quick answer without nagging! I managed to find some info online about Explore Rates that are available to employees but Swan & Dolphin didn't seem to have any availability.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated!
I would be surprised if there was not.

What is OH?

What are the pros/cons of a patio room vs. upper floor resort view room at the Dolphin?

Interested in this. We saw people sitting out on their patio on our last trip and it looked lovely. We usually never like being on the ground floor though.
I can take or leave a balcony. There is barely room enough for the little table and 2 chairs, much less people. I do very much like the upper floor view though.

If you like sitting out, a patio, at the expense of a high view, would be nice. And on the ground, the patio and surrounding area would give you a much freer feeling over the confined area of a balcony.

Actually on that note - does anyone know if Starwoods employees get any discounts/benefits? My OH works for them and I've asked him to check, but I am not going to get a quick answer without nagging! I managed to find some info online about Explore Rates that are available to employees but Swan & Dolphin didn't seem to have any availability.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated!
They should receive discounts but the Swan & Dolphin are in the "Resort" category so some limits might be in place. Did you try looking less than 30 days from now for example vs your specific date search?

I would be surprised if there was not.

What is OH?
It is a common term for Other Half often used instead of BH aka Better Half.

Dave

I can take or leave a balcony. There is barely room enough for the little table and 2 chairs, much less people. I do very much like the upper floor view though.

If you like sitting out, a patio, at the expense of a high view, would be nice. And on the ground, the patio and surrounding area would give you a much freer feeling over the confined area of a balcony.

The ground floor patio rooms are nice, just stayed in two at the Dolphin 1171 and 1173. They were west wing, facing the swan boats and pools. So close to pools, bus transport, Picabu, boat dock etc... One trip we were in an end room of the east wing, it was brutal all the extra walking! They told us our rooms were "fireworks view", I'm guessing she meant the HS fireworks but we were never in our room at 9:30 to see them, out late every night :woohoo:

They should receive discounts but the Swan & Dolphin are in the "Resort" category so some limits might be in place. Did you try looking less than 30 days from now for example vs your specific date search?

It is a common term for Other Half often used instead of BH aka Better Half.

Dave
I'll upgrade him to BH if he gets me a S&D discount!! ;-)

I actually didn't look within 30 days, I looked for my September dates and beyond but everything was greyed out. Will have another look or report back when I find out.

The ground floor patio rooms are nice, just stayed in two at the Dolphin 1171 and 1173. They were west wing, facing the swan boats and pools. So close to pools,bus transport, Picabu, boat dock etc... One trip we were in an end room of the east wing, it was brutal all the extra walking! They told us our rooms were "fireworks view", I'm guessing she meant the HS fireworks but we were never in our room at 9:30 to see them, out late every night :woohoo:

When we stayed at the Dolphin in 2008, we were on the fourth floor of the East Wing.

The walk between the elevator—and it had to be the East elevator—and the room was a labyrinth of hallways that seemed to go on for miles. You’d be turning a corner and thinking, “OK. There’s my room (the elevator),” but not yet. It’s another hallway.

“It has to be after this last turn,” went through my mind multiple times during a 5 night stay.

That is one reason I prefer the Swan. No trick hallways over there. LOL!

ETA: The fireworks on that side of the building are the high ones in Illuminations.

If you use lyft or uber, you can essentially have a worry-free morning, and set a time to wake up and get ready. I'd suggest ordering the car around 7am as you are walking out of your room door. For the lyft/uber fee, that beats BEING at the bus stop at 6:30 with your fingers crossed. Add in the price you are paying for EMM, and...if you rely on the busses, you might just get what you pay for.

No brainer in my book.

If you want to try the wait and see approach with the bus, just give yourself extra time. If the bus display is actually working, and it's gonna be a while, order an uber/lyft, they'll be there in about 5 minutes (probably less.) Figure in that ten minute walk from the contemp to mk, when deciding, though.

The walk between the elevator—and it had to be the East elevator—and the room was a labyrinth of hallways that seemed to go on for miles. You’d be turning a corner and thinking, “OK. There’s my room (the elevator),” but not yet. It’s another hallway.

“It has to be after this last turn,” went through my mind multiple times during a 5 night stay.

That is one reason I prefer the Swan. No trick hallways over there. LOL!
Sounds like a Disney queue, Janice. :tiptoe:

Should also have added that indeed the HS side of the friendship boat dock was blocked off promptly Monday am. Looked like they were welding something underneath. Black tarps were installed on the bridge to HS. :(

Just to clarify, the bridges are only covered on the underside, correct? We will still be able to walk over both bridges?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter