Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Has anyone else experienced this? Any inside information?
No inside info, but reading some of the threads on thepointsguy this is being reported more often it seems across Marriott properties. Also the months you are selecting are a ways out, knowing the S/D is a heavy convention property you maybe fighting against held rooms for those events, which are very popular that time of year. But the reclassifcaton of the class has been a bit point of contention on some forums. I was hoping to stay for our Feb 2020 trip but rates have been very high it seems, higher then I'm willing to pay for S/D at this time.

My wife and I have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin many times [30 times]. Usually, my dates are flexible so it has never been a problem when there are no rooms available because one or more of our requested nights is totally booked. And for most of those 30 stays, often three times per year, we use points. Plat Elite is great and we usually get a suite. However, I have run into something I have never seen before. ......."the resort is not accepting redemptions for the requested dates" -----that's code for no points - cash only. I tried several combinations in January, Feb. & March 2020....nothing. When I called I was told that this often happens....properties "sell-out" of point redemptions. I get that, but I know this property inside and out and I have never experienced this. I was a Starwood member in addition to Marriott when they merged. I expected trouble. Sure enough, the rates for points went way up to 50,000 when the resort was changed to category 6. Now, this....they have apparently reduced the # of points rooms so they are as difficult to get as a fast pass to Pandora or Slinky Dog!!!
Has anyone else experienced this? Any inside information?
No inside info, but reading some of the threads on thepointsguy this is being reported more often it seems across Marriott properties. Also the months you are selecting are a ways out, knowing the S/D is a heavy convention property you maybe fighting against held rooms for those events, which are very popular that time of year. But the reclassifcaton of the class has been a bit point of contention on some forums. I was hoping to stay for our Feb 2020 trip but rates have been very high it seems, higher then I'm willing to pay for S/D at this time.
Yes, this is an issue across the Marriott board unfortunately. People have even termed the phrase “being bonvoyed” for how they’ve been screwed by the Marriott merger. I miss SPG!
I’ve also had some difficulty booking the Dolphin with cash. I have tried a few times to book for the last week in September through the web site. Every time I get an error message saying that they cannot hold my reservation, and that is paying full rack rate- not even the prepayed rate!

Check this page which shows sold-out days in red for both the Dolphin & Swan. Thursday Sept. 26 is sold-out at the Dolphin. Have you tried the Swan?

Link: https://www.swandolphin.com/value-days/
Dave
Thanks! We are 9/27 to 10/1. If I try to book it on the app it goes through until the last page where I actually put in the deposit and a message says “we are sorry we cannot hold this reservation.” It has been doing that for about 6 weeks since I started trying. Swan is also open but significantly higher price for those dates. I’m holding out for a Disney property anyway so I never bothered calling. But just thought it was odd.

Yes - you need to call in-house room reservations. I last checked for AP discount while Starwood was still in the picture. I would imagine, though, that it's still available. It is certainly not a great discount.
The AP discount is 5%, Florida resident is 10%, and AAA / CAA is 15%. And then there is always a chance of a great Priceline deal to pop up if they can't fill the resorts with convention / meeting guests.

Dave

We’re staying at the Dolphin for the first time on August 16. It’s only for one night because we’re doing the SWGE AP preview the next morning but I’m excited! We booked a king room on orbitz with no view but I don’t really care too much what our view is.

OT - I work fd at a hotel in a very expensive ski town (expensive even in Summer ;)), we charge a $6 resort fee that covers the gym, pool/jacuzzi, etc - the usual. We also have a free breakfast and free parking - the only ones with free parking in a town where hotel parking runs between $35-40 a night.
Just had a guest ask what the resort fee was for and when I explained she smirked at me and said "riiiight".
Why do people think I - a lowly night auditor - have a say on resort fees or really anything having to do with finances for a multi million dollar hotel?

Sorry for the slight vent - just first thing that popped in my head was "lady, I will be paying a $30 resort fee per night and I won't get free breakfast!"

Hi, I have some questions~We are staying just 1 night at the Dolphin in about 5 weeks. First time at the Dolphin and I still need to pick up park tickets for our Epcot visit. Looking for advice as I read that MagicBands can be purchased for fee. Should I just get paper tickets at the Dolphin when I check in? I have several MagicBands at home that are between 6 months and a year old - you think those could be reactivated? Staying at this resort is uncharted territory and with such short time, I want to maximize our 1 day there. Also, sorry if this question is in the wrong spot~ Thanks!

Hi, I have some questions~We are staying just 1 night at the Dolphin in about 5 weeks. First time at the Dolphin and I still need to pick up park tickets for our Epcot visit. Looking for advice as I read that MagicBands can be purchased for fee. Should I just get paper tickets at the Dolphin when I check in? I have several MagicBands at home that are between 6 months and a year old - you think those could be reactivated? Staying at this resort is uncharted territory and with such short time, I want to maximize our 1 day there. Also, sorry if this question is in the wrong spot~ Thanks!
If you purchase tickets in advance, whether on the phone or online from Disney, you can link the tickets to your existing MagicBands. If you do it in advance of your trip, you won't have to spend time purchasing the tickets at the Dolphin or Epcot; you just can concentrate on enjoying your short visit. The FriendShip boats run about every 15 minutes from the Swan/Dolphin, and the ride to Epcot takes about 15 minutes.

I agree the early 2020 rates are ridiculously high right now. Not sure what is happening there.

I agree the early 2020 rates are ridiculously high right now. Not sure what is happening there.
My guess they either have some conferences they are holding spaces for or they were banking on Star Wars. We just came back from Disneyland and the Sheraton there had some high rates too, they started dropping about 3 weeks before our trip and finally I pulled the trigger and cancelled my Hilton & SpringHill Suites stay and booked the Sheraton. Thing is for Disney World it's not that easy, but I'm not sure I can or will wait till the last minute.

pretty happy just got dolphin for 4 night during star wars run weekend next april on priceline express sale . was listed as $209 a night but found a 8% voucher as well . i was pretty sure it was dolphin due to amenities and the resort fee . had suggested that it was like hilton orlando bonnet creek but worked out there daily fees was more so wasnt them .

@Mrszerimarr1 we used it too as Dan Murphy shared. I met them in the drop off area, with an empty rolling suitcase and filled it with items to take back to our room. Worked well. The challenge I faced was our driver did not speak English and was sitting at the Dolphin not the Swan, took talking with a supervisor to tell her she was at the wrong hotel. Beyond that it worked fine. Delivery was set for 8AM so we got our stuff and headed off to breakfast and lunch right after. You do want to meet the driver though, as some have had issues being delivered in absence of the person and getting charged.

For those looking to book on short notice (August), there is currently a non-refundable AAA rate of $134 or refundable (w/5 days notice) AAA rate of $140 + resort fee and taxes for check-in on 08/22/2019. The rate is available for 1, 2, or 3 nights. There may be other dates available at lower rates.

EDIT Same dates are available on Priceline Express for $103 per night, + resort fee and taxes

Last edited:
Okay, so I am getting really confused about booking rooms on points and I seem to keep getting different answers from Marriott. We have ambassador status but my ambassador isn’t a Disney expert or anything so she’s not being much help here. I previously asked about something I read on here - booking a regular room on points and upgrading to a deluxe alcove with connecting double for $200/night. I just want to make sure I’m not confused and I trust all of your answers much more than what I’m getting from Marriott at the moment! First, do you need to book 2 rooms and then pay the $200 to upgrade one of the rooms to the deluxe alcove, or do you really just need to book 1 room? Second, is this only a thing at the Dolphin, or does it work at the Swan too?

I really appreciate any help you all can give! Feeling really frustrated and confused!😕

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter