• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WALT DISNEY WORLD VET VISITS D'LAND TRIP REPORT --- my first trip report ever!

KCmike

Never have fallen asleep on any
STATS - ME (Dad) Wife (Mom) Three Kids (2 girls 13,10) (1 boy 10) We're from Kansas City. We all have been to D'world six times and really wanted to get to Walt's original playground so badly. We finnally did it!

We started off flying out to California on Tuesday when the fires we're still going on. We tried to call Disney and ask about cancellations but got no word. I even
got on the LAX webcam to look to see how bad it was.

We arrive at Fairfield Inn on Harbor Blvd around 2pm.
100_0648.jpg

It was a nice enough hotel/motel. All the people there were friendly and helpful.
The walk to the park from there is not bad...you go past a Mcdonalds and about three other hotels on the strip before you hit the traffic light you walk across to get to the park.

Here is the pic of the entrance going across the traffic lights.
100_0698.jpg

So how does D'World rate against D'Land you ask? Stay tuned.

Oh come on!! What a teaser! :eek:

Sooo...?? When can we expect an update?? popcorn::

100_0684.jpg

So one of the ideas was to have our children (A is for Andy) in each picture of the California Sign.

100_0682.jpg

Rachel

100_0680.jpg

Emily but had to cheat a little.

So we walked the downtown disney area our first night. I have been getting on all the websites looking for photos of what to expect. I saw the pictures of the halloween stuff on laughingplace and was so excited. As we were walking past the two parks I couldn't help but think how much smaller everything was. The pumpkins of Mickey, Minnie and the gang are quaint but so much smaller in person than I thought they would be. I also couln't believe that I forgot my camera (nikon) and had to use my daughters simple point and shoot Kodak. How sad for me!

100_0710.jpg

Downtown Disney is less than half the size of the Florida version and it has its moments (World of Disney is great!) but everything else seems crowded. I did enjoy seeing the Disney Hotel and walking into it and seeing the old stars that have been there. It's really quite amazing.

100_0662.jpg

100_0661.jpg

A friendly cast member allowed us in to the pool area which I thought was really well done. It reminded me of Port Orleans' Ol' Man Island.

100_0663.jpg

We walked from there to the Grand Californian and went throught the lobby and sat at the fireplace for awhile. It is quite nice. I have walked through both the Wildnerness Lodge and the GC now and WL is hands down much better. The pool area at GC is nice as well but just a miniature version of what i expected. DON'T GET ME WRONG ALL YOU DISNEYLAND FANS this isn't a knock....the things I love are next....as the next morning brings me my first visit to the original!

We were there an hour early. We decided to get our gift bag from the travel shop in Downtown Disney while we were waiting. We got back and there were just a few ahead of us waiting at the gate. As the time drew closer I was wondering what to expect. All of you Disneyworld visitors might know that the Magic Kingdom there starts each morning with a little song and dance on the train platform with Mickey leading the railroad in to get the whole park open. It is one of the best moments in DWorld in my opinion. So what would the LAnd do? Nothing.

They allowed us in and walk around main street as we had to wait for the official time of 10am that morning. They did pick one family for the year of a million dreams to take their photo with the castle in the backdrop and then do a countdown from 10 to open the park.

Ok for one of best moments....drum roll please.....As the rope dropped they started playing the song from Brother Bear "Welcome to our family time, Welcome to our brotherly time, This is a festival..." (I believe thats the words) and we all started running. It was one of those "It feels like we're in a commercial moment". It was really awesome. We headed for fantasyland and immediately rode in this order: oh yeah and with my official rating of each ride 1=poor to 10=awesome ... keep in mind I have been waiting for this moment and have all these disneyworld memories bottled up inside me.....so on with the show....

Peter Pan's Flight - 8 - I though it was really well done. I do enjoy MK FL better though. Can't quite put my finger on it but that's just how I feel. They are both quite similar if not altogether the same.

MR. Toads Wild Ride - 9 - I was there when it originally was also in DWORLD but have missed it. This dark ride is so much fun. It really is wild and I love it when you go through the exploding bomb sequence and the lights flash. Worth the wait on the old dark rides.

Pinnochio's Daring Adventure - 8 - Not in the world and was impressed with the opening sequence of the them on strings and the cage that it looks like you will be trapped in. Good times.

Snow White's scary adventures - 7 - i rode it later one night and thought it was better in the night...how weird is that? I think I was much more relaxed the second time and really looked at the details. I like this one better than the world.

Mad Tea Party - 10 - Being outside with no roof and overlooking the matterhorn makes this ride kick Dworld's butt. Ride this at night. The party lights above it just make it so festive. My wife disagrees with me and likes the world's version better but she is just silly. (I know she will be reading this at work....ha ha ah).

MAtterhorn - 10 - Yes we rode all these back to back to back in a matter of 20 minutes or so. Matterhorn rocks. It was like riding my first roller coaster back home. A sort of tame smooth ride. I had heard that it jerks you all around being that it is so old....It was so much fun. There are two sides and I definitely liked the one to the right but maybe it was just my imagination. I have to say that it was a little strange to walk down main street seeing the mountain. It was kind of like visiting Sweden i would think.

Tomorrow I will tackle Indy, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Splash, and Jungle cruise. You will all be shocked at my new favorite ride!!! The title use to belong to splash mtn at d-world.

See you all tomorrow.

Here are some extra pics.

koi fish pond waterfall
100_0669.jpg

world of disney
100_0657.jpg

looking towards magic kingdom CA from our hotel
100_0647.jpg

100_0718.jpg

100_0717.jpg

mickey bench along the walkway to disneyland
100_0701.jpg

Fantasyland
100_0723.jpg

Loving your TR and Pictures!!

Looking forward to more!! :yay:

*Squirms* I hate the waiting!!

Don't think I'm pushing you or anything... :rotfl:

100_0747.jpg

Didn't really enjoy the Storybook ride but thought this was a good picture.

Okay.

So i believe the last ride I left you with last time was Matterhorn. We went directly over to Indy next. i have heard so many comparisons to Dinosaur at AKL because of the basically same car ride. We went thru the LONG que....there was basically no one there (Wed 11am) so we were able to walk almost all the way up to the ride.

INDY - 7 - I know I am going to catch alot of flack about this rating. I just wasn't impressed. I think I like Dinosaur better and I am an Indiana Jones fan. I did only ride it once though. The effects are good but I didn't like that i could see up ahead in the ride and back behind me. It really takes away from the effects when you can see other cars.

Pirates of the Carribean - 10 - Absolutely destroys MK FL. This ride was perfection. I loved the beginning with the fireflys on one side and Blue Bayou on the other. The two drops are perfect. The sets are fantastic. My favorite part of the ride is the battle sequence between the big boat and the fortress its firing on. I got wet each time...rode it three or four times...by the exploding bombs. i really can't say enough of how well the ride was. This one lived up to the hype.

Haunted Mansion Holiday Overlay - 10 - MY FAVORITE RIDE NOW - I was so shocked how much fun it was. The different beginning with Jack taking over (from the movie obviously) and all the extras. I can see why this takes so long to makeover each year. Absolutely Fantastic. The MK FL version has a better appearance on the outside but that is all.

100_0736.jpg

100_0735.jpg

Also have to mention that i loved New Orleans Square!!
100_0730.jpg

Next we hopped over to Spash Mountain. Now let me forewarn you that SPlash at D'World has been my favorite ride...and the thought of riders sitting one by one behind each other didn't thrill me...how many other parks do it that way already? Alot i tell you! And this was built before they did it down in FL so I was a bit skeptical.

Splash - 9 - Every bit as good. Loved the drops in the middle...the sitting was okay by me...thank goodness...and you actually get wet on SPLASH mtn!!! What a concept!!! My son rode up in front and really got a good soaking. I liked that it had different scenes than the other. I didn't really like that it went so fast through them though. The one at D'world slows down and lets you enjoy the story better. Here you are zipped thru it so fast. The zippity do da ending boat with all the characters seems pint size to the other as well. Still Thumbs way up! What is really crazy is how close all the rides are. You can see HM right next door. You can see matterhorn from HM. At Disneyworld when your on Splash you can see the castle which for me makes it very magical.
100_0741.jpg

We decided to head for the train and take it to toon town. We rode:
Roger Rabbit's car toon spin - 5 - Not impressed at all. I loved the movie and had hopes of a better ride. Oh Well.

Autopia - 7 - Thought this would be better as well. I think I like D'world's version better. What is really sad is seeing the old peoplemover just rotting next to the monorail and over autotopia. Since this is my first time I feel bad for the frequenters of Disneyland faithful that its been taken away. :(

Space Mountain - 10 - After about 30 seconds on the ride I asked my son if he was okay! I couldn't see him and he sits directly across from me on this version...not like the back to back in Dworld. He said yes. Everybody just couldn't believe how incredible this ride was. The music adds so much to the overall feel. You can't see a lick in that ride. At D'World you can see track in front of you some of the time. It was out of this world to say the least. Definitely a major coaster ride. So smooth.

Let me collect my thoughts and i will keep going.

I have to tell you that even though I am a grown man in my mid 30's that I love Disney parades. So I was especially excited about a new one that I haven't seen.

Parade of Dreams - 6 - How disappointing. Three or four floats? The same song as they played in the morning? Did i just build it up to big in my head? We watched it again in the night around 7pm I think it was and they had to throw on lights around the streets because the floats had very little lighting. Still wasn't impressed.

That brings me to Main Street USA

Mainstreet - 8 - This was hard for me. This was Walt's baby! The shops were wonderful. The bakery not half as good as D'worlds though. Sleeping beauty castle even though smaller which I have been warned several times...I thought was awesome. Details Details Details. You have to give it to the LAND on that one. So many small little things that are just marvelous. In the night though when all the lights come on it feels more like a carnival. it doesn't have that elegance of mainstreet in the world. Disneyland lights were flashing and rotating like a christmas tree while at the world they stay steady and are all one color...white....just gives it something more to me. How does everyone else feel on that???? I really don't like how close the astro orbiter is to the hub either. Loved seeing Walt's light on though. Seen it so many times on Disneyland behind the scenes on Travel Channel and the one with Samantha Brown.

D'Land railroad - 7 - One of my favorite moments at Disneyworld was a song they would play that went "Rolling down the Walt Disneyworld express...rolling..." I miss that. It was good though. I like how the seats were all pointed towards the park. The diorama between tomorrowland and main street were interesting.

Monorail - 4 - Gotta give it credit that it was the first in the Western Hemisphere...but when you've rode the monorail from magic kingdow to Epcot or to Grand Floridian or even better yet to the POLY!!! how can you compare?

We did go to Newport beach and to the Chinese theater on are day off. Newport was nice. i wanted to go down to Laguna or San Diego but the fires kept us away. Also wanted to do Catalina but it was so expensive to get over there. Maybe some day? The El Capitan we didn't go into but the Disney soda shop was a letdown. Don't bother. The whole area with the Kodak theater and Hollywood BLvd was just a big letdown for us. It was trashy...had nude xxx rated stores and just seemed like we were throwing our kids to the gutter.

Here are some pictures of each:
100_0802.jpg

100_0787.jpg

100_0783.jpg

100_0808.jpg

100_0806.jpg

100_0810.jpg

This was one was at the top of the the shopping area with the hollywood sign in the backdrop...again you could see one of the hotels that Samantha Brown stayed at in her show Great Hotels. What happened to that show? It use to be on all the time but it has since been taken off.

100_0811.jpg

Californian Adventure is my next installment. Since its Friday I'll see if I can't get it done tonight.

My son, oldest daughter and I set off for CA. My wife stayed at the hotel with sick daughter. We had a doctor make a Hotel Call since we were worried about travelling to a urgent care center or hospital. Doc was awesome. Prescribed some medicine and came in a moments notice. The bill however was more than in my bank account...ha ha!!!

Here are some pics to get you started with California Adventure. Warning i didn't get to ride all the rides here. I had one goal. I had to see Aladdin the musical and the rest would be gravy.

100_0831.jpg

100_0821.jpg

100_0826.jpg

100_0822.jpg

For those that just like to look at pictures and not read....i forgot my good Nikon camera at home (This comes from a guy who took 900+ shots at my last D'World trip) Thankfully my daughter remembered her camera...a kodak simply point and shoot...this camera really doesn't take a good picture.

100_0843.jpg

100_0842.jpg

On to the ride breakdowns.....

Monsters Inc - 7 - Better than Roger Rabbit but not by much.

Muppets 3D - Exactly like D'World - 9 - Liked it!

It's Tough to be a Bug - 9 - Again just like D'world

Aladdin Musical - 10 - Saw it twice. Had different performers playing all the major parts except for the girl who played the magic carpet who was awesome. I liked the first genie the best. Better jokes. More energy. He was not as heavy set and am really not sure how many play the part. Loved the special effects. Won't give away any secrets here unless you want them...? i will tell you thought that the perfect seat is right in the middle just past the first area of the orchestra seating. There is a walkway that divides the first orch. seats to the next. Sit there in the middle and you will be able to see everything. if you sit in the first section you don't get the full effects.

Mulholland Madness - 7 - Very simliar to primeval Whirl except the cars don't spin.

Didn't get to ride Screamin' - ? - So sad.

Soarin - 10 - Loved it! Just like D'world and i know that Cali was the original...so kudos to cali!

Block Party Bash - 6 - Kids didn't enjoy it.

High School Musical - 3 - I think I saw more people continuing to walk than watch it.

Tower of Terror - Love the MGM one but didn't get to ride this one. :(

Youngest daughter calls us late in the day and says she's feeling better!!! Wants to come join us for the next showing of Aladdin. We say heck yayhttp://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/banana.gif

Here are some extra pictures of our trip:

100_0754.jpg

100_0750.jpg

100_0749.jpg

100_0748.jpg

100_0738.jpg

I will post one more tomorrow that will conclude the trip report.

We finish back at Disneyland and get to see Fantasmic and Remember Dreams Come True Fireworks and any other rides i have forgotten.

:banana:

KCmike, great report & pics. :thumbsup2

Looks like you have a fun family & that you did Walt's park with gusto. :dance3:

You & I agree on the ratings of so many of the rides (& on the comparisons between WDW & DLR) with just a couple of small exceptions.

Peter Pan's Flight - 8 - I though it was really well done. I do enjoy MK FL better though. Can't quite put my finger on it but that's just how I feel. They are both quite similar if not altogether the same.

I also give it an 8 & enjoy both versions equally.

MR. Toads Wild Ride - 9 - I was there when it originally was also in DWORLD but have missed it. This dark ride is so much fun. It really is wild and I love it when you go through the exploding bomb sequence and the lights flash. Worth the wait on the old dark rides.

Also a 9. Love the theming & the irreverance to it. (little to no waits for Toadie during EE!, fwiw.)

Pinnochio's Daring Adventure - 8 - Not in the world and was impressed with the opening sequence of the them on strings and the cage that it looks like you will be trapped in. Good times.

I give it a 9. I love the details, the uniqueness & the dioramas at the end of the ride.

Snow White's scary adventures - 7 - i rode it later one night and thought it was better in the night...how weird is that? I think I was much more relaxed the second time and really looked at the details. I like this one better than the world.

Also a 7. I'd rate it higher if it had more of the original story included (like Pinocchio & Alice).

Mad Tea Party - 10 - Being outside with no roof and overlooking the matterhorn makes this ride kick Dworld's butt. Ride this at night. The party lights above it just make it so festive. My wife disagrees with me and likes the world's version better but she is just silly. (I know she will be reading this at work....ha ha ah).

For me a 7 (but I'm gonna have to try it at night).

MAtterhorn - 10 - Yes we rode all these back to back to back in a matter of 20 minutes or so. Matterhorn rocks. It was like riding my first roller coaster back home. A sort of tame smooth ride. I had heard that it jerks you all around being that it is so old....It was so much fun. There are two sides and I definitely liked the one to the right but maybe it was just my imagination. I have to say that it was a little strange to walk down main street seeing the mountain. It was kind of like visiting Sweden i would think.

For me an 8. I wish it had better bavarian theming & used Yetti more creatively. But i remember riding it at age 6, so i l do love it.

Great Report. :hippie:

What did you think of the parades at Disneyland?

Parade of Dreams rating?

Remember Dreams?

Fantasmic?

Alright so the last day we dedicated just to Disneyland. We were there to ride whatever we could and had to see Remember Dreams come True fireworks and Fantasmic. I have heard from so many how much better both were to MK FL. I also had heard how many times they cancelled the show due to high winds so I was very nervous all day.

Here are the rides I somehow forgot about:

Jungle Cruise - 9 - The plants and trees are so more overgrown at Disneyland giving it that "Jungle" feeling. I really enjoyed it. The piranas at the end were unique as well. I did miss the temple scene from the world though. I still really enjoyed it.

Big Thunder Mtn Railroad - 6 - Disneyworld's kicks the lands butt on this one. The ride was so short and the sights were horrible. Really disappointed with this one.

Star Tours - 6 - same old same old.

Winnie the Pooh - 6 - D'Worlds is better. You hop like tigger there.

Buzz Lightyear - 9 - Enjoyed being able to handle the guns better.

Enchanted Tiki Room - 9 - First let me say that my youngest daughter loves this attraction even the world's version. I really don't like the World's version but found this one really enjoyable. I gave it a 9 because I could see how much she enjoyed it through her eyes. It really is well done. The lightning effect and rain sequence are cool. Also had our first dole whip. SEVEN times to the parks and my first dole whip!!!!

Dole Whip - 8 - Don't like pineapple but maybe now I do!

CHURRO - 10 - First time on this as well. Can't wait to try the World's version.

Alice in Wonderland - closed for refurbishment. :(

It's a Small World - closed for refurbishment :(

Here are some pics:

100_0918.jpg

100_0910.jpg

Really good dining and easy to share for a family here at the plaza inn
100_0878.jpg

100_0868.jpg

100_0866.jpg

100_0859.jpg

100_0664.jpg

Thanks for sharing your trip report. I really enjoyed reading it.

Sorry you were so disappointed with many of the rides and attractions at DL & DCA. But it sounded like you made the best of it and had a decent time there.

Didn't really enjoy the Storybook ride but thought this was a good picture.

I really like this ride. The theming is great & it celebrates the stories i grew up with. Also it's a calm ride on a busy day & a great ride at night. I give it an 8.

INDY - 7 - I know I am going to catch alot of flack about this rating. I just wasn't impressed. I think I like Dinosaur better and I am an Indiana Jones fan. I did only ride it once though. The effects are good but I didn't like that i could see up ahead in the ride and back behind me. It really takes away from the effects when you can see other cars.

I give it an 8. (like you, i prefer other E ticket rides at DL, & I also prefer Dinosaur at AKL a little.) But I love the gags in the que & I like the rats that fall in your jeep. ;)

Pirates of the Carribean - 10 - Absolutely destroys MK FL. This ride was perfection. I loved the beginning with the fireflys on one side and Blue Bayou on the other. The two drops are perfect. The sets are fantastic. My favorite part of the ride is the battle sequence between the big boat and the fortress its firing on. I got wet each time...rode it three or four times...by the exploding bombs. i really can't say enough of how well the ride was. This one lived up to the hype.

Also a 10. The improvements are perfect & quintisential Disney. (& it's a fast loader. :thumbsup2 )

Haunted Mansion Holiday Overlay - 10 - MY FAVORITE RIDE NOW - I was so shocked how much fun it was. The different beginning with Jack taking over (from the movie obviously) and all the extras. I can see why this takes so long to makeover each year. Absolutely Fantastic. The MK FL version has a better appearance on the outside but that is all.

A 9. (but I've never seen the Holiday Overlay). Just a fabulous ride. & I love the lady who "knocks off" all her hubbies.

Splash - 9 - Every bit as good. Loved the drops in the middle...the sitting was okay by me...thank goodness...and you actually get wet on SPLASH mtn!!! What a concept!!! My son rode up in front and really got a good soaking. I liked that it had different scenes than the other. I didn't really like that it went so fast through them though. The one at D'world slows down and lets you enjoy the story better. Here you are zipped thru it so fast. The zippity do da ending boat with all the characters seems pint size to the other as well. Still Thumbs way up! What is really crazy is how close all the rides are. You can see HM right next door. You can see matterhorn from HM. At Disneyworld when your on Splash you can see the castle which for me makes it very magical.

Also a 9 (at least when it's hot out.) & Pooh Corner bakery is at the exit. :cool1:

We decided to head for the train and take it to toon town. We rode:
Roger Rabbit's car toon spin - 5 - Not impressed at all. I loved the movie and had hopes of a better ride. Oh Well.

I give it a 7. Great theming, great que & a fun ride.

Autopia - 7 - Thought this would be better as well. I think I like D'world's version better. What is really sad is seeing the old peoplemover just rotting next to the monorail and over autotopia. Since this is my first time I feel bad for the frequenters of Disneyland faithful that its been taken away. :(

5. (..but I don't like kiddie auto rides anywhere.)

Space Mountain - 10 - After about 30 seconds on the ride I asked my son if he was okay! I couldn't see him and he sits directly across from me on this version...not like the back to back in Dworld. He said yes. Everybody just couldn't believe how incredible this ride was. The music adds so much to the overall feel. You can't see a lick in that ride. At D'World you can see track in front of you some of the time. It was out of this world to say the least. Definitely a major coaster ride. So smooth.

A 9. Love it (not a 10 since for space theming I prefer Mission Space at Epcot - which is a 10). But SM at DL is better than WDW (imo) & it's great that kiddo can sit next to you instead of in seat in front of you.

Like i said KCmike....we seem to look at the rides similarly. :)

hound - :cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter