WARNING: Morbid Topic

We bought our first house at a good price
Owners ten month old son died in his crib and parents wanted to sell and move away

Second house we bought also had deaths in the house
Owner’s husband and father both died in
their bedrooms 6 months apart

Knowing that info above did not affect our decision in buying the houses

I wouldn't be too bothered to live in a house where someone died of natural causes. A violent death, that may be another story. I'd just not be able to not think about it. When I was little, my parents bought a big, gorgeous old home where both of the owners died in the house (many years apart, both of natural causes). It never bothered me a bit. However, when I started talking to the Lady of the House, my Mom had a problem with it and we sold that house faster than you can say Haunted Mansion. :)

I do believe in houses being haunted though...I just don't think it has to do with someone dying in the house.

I agree.

When I was a child we moved into a new house with no deceased tenants. I used to get the creepiest feeling in the basement, and wouldn’t go downstairs unless the lights were on. I even had a nightmare one night that dismembered body parts were floating up the stairs and into the rest of the house. After we moved out, my mom told me that one day, while she was downstairs doing laundry, she felt like she was being watched. She turned around and there was a man standing there dressed in the style of the 1920’s. She just stood there, and after a few moments, he disappeared. She never saw him again. I don’t know what was on the property way back then, since it was rural until the neighborhood started in the late 1960’s.

I live in the NE...the NE is full of very old towns with very old homes. Lots of houses in general have had people die in them. But most old houses could easily have had several people die in them. Of course, if it makes you feel any better, most of them have had several people born in them, too. :)

I know some people that live in a house where a guy killed his whole family, then himself. They have lived there a very long time ... way before I moved here 12 years ago, and no problems. They got a steal on a really nice house! The couple were both doctors so it's one of the nicer homes in our little town.

We used to pass a grand old house when I was young. It was huge and expensive, but for whatever reason, I always felt creeped out by it. I didn't share that feeling with anyone. One day as we passed it, I asked my mother who lived there and mentioned that they must have a lot of money to live in a house like that. She said they did have money, but she would never go in that house because it was built on top of a very old cemetery. My mother would be almost 100 if she was still alive, but she remembered headstones being mowed over when she was a child, so the house could be built. She said the cemetery had been very old even then, and that these people had so much money that no one told them NO when they decided THAT was the perfect spot for a mansion. Creepy feeling explained.

For my part, I'd never live in a house someone had died in, except for a loved one. We have built several houses, and are on site daily, so I think we are safe from mystery construction accidents. We only bought a used home once. But I researched it enough to learn that no one had died in it.

Has anyone ever moved somewhere and found out that someone died in your residence?

We recently sold our house. My BF just informed me that the previous owner died in our bedroom. He didn't want to tell me while we were living there so I wouldn't be scared. I still cried even though we aren't living there anymore, because there have been some weird occurrences in that house.

Our puppy would randomly bark/growl at the ceiling in our bedroom and physically get on top of me like he was trying to protect me. I also would wake up randomly in the night and see dark figures at the end of the bed. I have always had sleep issues so I usually would shrug it off and go back to sleep. I also heard noises in the attic numerous times and was seriously convinced someone was living up there.

I tend to be a hypochondriac/scaredy-cat, so am I being dramatic? Has anyone else experienced something weird like this? If so, what did you do?!

It definitely makes me hesitant to purchase an older home in the future. Not like my experiences were bad, just really creepy.
The old lady could be a "protective" spirit if there are other spirits around. Don't you people watch Dead Files? :rotfl2:

I agree that having newer home isn't a guarantee there won't be spirits around - as pp's mentioned, land and surrounding areas contain a lot of history.

Our home and area has roots in revolutionary days. As someone else mentioned, NE is filled with all kinds of intense history. I know many places that are supposedly haunted, although I haven't experienced much myself. (From what I understand you either have the ability to see and hear things, or you don't; apparently I don't, but I know people who do.)

I grew up in a home built in 1910. In those days, they used to wake people in the front room, which was known as a parlor. I'm pretty sure that's where funeral parlors got their name. My mother's father and brother were waked at home in their parlor (in the 1930s). I think we are losing the generation who had first hand knowledge of things like this as our elders pass on.

No one lived in my house before us, besides my inlaws, so no unknown people dying in the house.
But my mother in law died in the master bedroom. Actually right about where I’m laying right now. It doesn’t bother me, she loved me, so I figure if she was to haunt her house, she’d be nice. Lol

My Mom and Dad bought 3 acres with a little log house on it from my Dad's sister. Her husbands family used to have big bbq's out under the oaks. Story goes that either a man fell out of a tree onto a little boy or the boy fell out of the tree and the little boy died. Also, it was said, that the land had a native american burial mound somewhere. The old man who used to live there would say that he saw the little boy playing with native americans in the front yard. And some wierd things would happen from time to time. My parents would just chuckle and say that Chief was visiting( yep, not very PC naming him Chief). Early on I was a bit creeped out but there was so much family(immediate and exteded) love surrounding the place that it lost it's creepyness early on. Plus my sister doused the place in holy water :):)

There are construction accidents. New construction is not a guarantee that someone didn't die in the home.
Apparently you’ve never seen Poltergeist! 😳
Maybe the house was built over a cemetary where they moved the headstones but didn't move the bodies?

I was thinking, “Someone didn’t see Poltergeist”.
My house is over 100 years old. I just assume at some point someone died. It doesn't bother me.

Same. As a matter of fact, we remodeled our kitchen down the studs a few years ago. I think we disturbed someone. Now we think we have a “Kitchen Ghost” because odd things happen in there.

My sister passed away 5 years ago, yesterday, in her house. She would have been 44 today.

I wish that she'd come back to haunt us. I'd love to catch up with her and have her interact with her kids again.

We grew up in a haunted house. No one was told about the goings on until they'd mention it to our parents after they'd experience something. The only person that the spirit tried to prank was my brother. When my parents moved, they invited the spirit to move with them. It was kind of cool having weird things happen in the house, or seeing the spirit take on various shapes. The spirit didn't move with them and they've never experienced anything like that again. I'm in my house for 25 years and have never had any supernatural experiences in my house, either. My house is over 100 years old, used to be a double house, so twice as many families lived in it as compared to our one family now that it was converted to a single house. I'm sure that people died in the house... and prior to having funeral homes, wakes would have been in the homes, too.

Going to the hospital to die is a fairly new concept. Things have changed in the last century to where they now have hospice and care facilities. Back in my grandparent's generation, most never even went to the hospital when they got sick, and if there was nothing that could be done then the hospital sent you home to die. I would say that the vast majority of people from a couple of generations ago and before that, have died at home. They used to have the wake service in the person's house also before they buried them. Death is part of life and is nothing to be afraid of. I wouldn't mind a spirit in my house as long as they were not too disruptive.

At least here in California, a death in a home must be disclosed before escrow closes.......UNLESS the sale is a probate sale. My MIL died in her sleep in her home. Since it was a Probate sale, disclosure was not required. But not an issue, because the next door neighbor who found her deceased bought the house. Also were were exempt from disclosing information about structural modifications to the house because it was a probate sale.........but the buyer did ask for that info. Our response...."ask the person who did the work". My MIL had hired HIM to do the work. :)

My current house was built with a MIL suite for the homeowners mother. The mother died and the owner mover her grandmother in. The grandmother died. Not sure which one (or maybe both) but one of them died in the home.

I bought the house to accommodate my mother who.......died (in the apartment). I have since rented the space to an elderly friend. I warned her that her days are numbered.

Literally, the apartment has only ever been occupied by elderly women in the 21 years it has been standing and three of them died with in a few years of living there.

I suspect that my mother has hung around to annoy me as I have seen unexplained wisps or shadows in the doorway to the apartment but no other signs of anyone hanging around.

I grew up in a house that was built at the turn of the century. I just assumed that at some point someone probably died in it.
I am more worried about finding out my current house is built over an old graveyard that they left there and only moved the headstones. We all know how that turns out when that happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter