Water Shoes

Gru

Mouseketeer
We are going to Discovey Cove and Aquatica for the first time. Are water shoes necessary?

Water shoes are not necessary for Aquatica. they have flip flop holders around the park and also have sprinklers to rinse your feet/shoes around the park.

I went for the first time about 3 weeks ago. Although they are not necessary, I wish I would've packed mine. I didn't like stepping in all the water/dirt along the pathways and the locker area. Ewwww! But to each his own. I am going back in 3 weeks and am definitely making sure we pack our water shoes.

Yes, you can wear them. I saw others wearing them and wished I remembered to bring mine. I won't be making that mistake this time around. I already have it on my packing list.

We didn't bring them to DC, and wish we had. There is a lot of walking and the pavement is hot.

We wear water shoes all summer long here in VA at Water Country USA. The pavement is HOT!! And we walk a lot. I'd suggest them; we found them at Target pretty cheap. Or if you want to wait and see, they sell them in the parks for not too bad a markup.

We wore the water shoes at DC a few weeks ago, were glad we did for the dolphin and reef areas. They were both less than smooth. We took them to Aquatica and never used them there, but we only stayed until early afternoon. They did a good job having sprayers on the sidewalks to keep them cool in most places.

I am a big advocate of water shoes. When we went in August, walking on the pavement was like walking on fire. Definitely kept our feet happier by having water shoes on. And like one of the PP's mentioned, some areas of the water features have fairly rough bottoms, so the water shoes provide some good protection.

Can you get away without them? Sure. But they do make for a more comfortable visit, IMHO.

Our family has decided to forego water shoes to Discovery Cove and Aquatica this time. We always bring them, but found that we didn't even take them out of our bag the last two visits. The sidewalk can get warm, but, for us, they are not worth the luggage space/weight. After saying this, I do hesitate to recommend that you don't bring them, because everyone reacts to heat differently. We are one of the few families that don't find the August heat off-putting. I just wanted to chime in so you know that they are not necessary for everyone that goes.

Pulling up old thread to ask what kind of water shoes people use & like. I've never had any that I didn't hate. :(. I'd love links if you have them. :)

momof2n2 said:
Pulling up old thread to ask what kind of water shoes people use & like. I've never had any that I didn't hate. :(. I'd love links if you have them. :)

I love Keen's. I wear them at WDW water parks & also to the beach. I will be bringing mine to Discovery Cove & Aquatica this summer.

I love having my water shoes at Aquatica, and I wouldn't enjoy walking around there for hours without them. They have always been allowed on all the slides and pools, but be aware that the new slides opening in May (Breakaway Falls) cannot be ridden with any footwear. It's a very high speed body slide, and shoes could cause friction on the slides resulting in damage to the slide surface or injury to the rider.

momof2n2 said:
I see them online, but I'm afraid to spend that much on something I may never use again. :(

I know what you mean. I was lucky to get my first pair on sale. I loved them so much, I bought a second pair two years later (also on sale).
When I bought the first pair, I only wore them in my house. That way I could return them, if need be. Good luck finding water shoes you like. It really is a process.

I know what you mean. I was lucky to get my first pair on sale. I loved them so much, I bought a second pair two years later (also on sale). When I bought the first pair, I only wore them in my house. That way I could return them, if need be. Good luck finding water shoes you like. It really is a process.
YES!!! So many are (ugly) interesting. ;)

Interesting is a nice word :)

Let us know if you find any you like.

I need a pair for my DH in a men's size 14 or 15. At this point, he would happily take ugly as long as they fit!!! :laughing:

I have found some at swimoutlet.com but for some reason, they are not eligible for shipping to Canada :confused: .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter