Waterfall/Swim

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
On my DD’s (30) wish list is to swim near/under a Hawaiian waterfall. We will be on the islands of Oahu, Kauai, and Maui. Any suggestions for a safe and beautiful place for her swim?
The only one one Oahu I’ve found so far is Waimea Valley (Falls). Other ideas are much appreciated!!

Manoa falls has this, there are signs there saying to not swim due to the risk of boulders falling on your head and there are a lot of boulders there that have fallen in the past but most people didn't seem to pay attention to that and swam anyway

Waimea Botanical gardens was quite nice. We swam there and had a lot of fun. They provided life jackets and it was guarded which I especially liked. They also had transportation back to the front if needed (extra cost I believe) but we walked so we would dry off :)

Jim

We swam at Waimea Falls--it was a great experience, but be warned, it is COLD, like REALLY cold. Also, it's not especially easy to enter the water--you have to climb over slippery rocks that are under water, so you can't see them.

We went to Waimea Valley as well, but didn't swim. Like PPs described, they provide life jackets and you will have to walk a good distance (or pay for a shuttle) to take you back to the falls. It's also a $16pp admission price to enter the park. It's deep, cold, can be bacteria ridden, but there were still a fair number of people swimming when we were there. I'll also warn that the facilities are nothing fancy so I would bring water shoes, and be prepared to just do a quick change into something dry if you need to.

There is a risk of contracting the leptospirosis bacteria in any of the fresh water here.

If going to a place like Waimea Falls, is the water tested for the bacteria or is it always “swim at your own risk?” Do they put up warning signs?
Thanks!

I think it's always swim at your own risk. And agree with PP--water shoes. You really don't want to go in without them, IMO, b/c of the rocks. Also, there are "changing facilities" at the falls, but they are fairly rustic.

We swam at Waimea Falls--it was a great experience, but be warned, it is COLD, like REALLY cold. Also, it's not especially easy to enter the water--you have to climb over slippery rocks that are under water, so you can't see them.

Agreed with all of this.

If going to a place like Waimea Falls, is the water tested for the bacteria or is it always “swim at your own risk?” Do they put up warning signs?
Thanks!
there are warning signs up. Which are summarily ignored.

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:
there are warning signs up. Which are summarily ignored.
So much for the waterfall swim!! Thank you very much for the warning. We are not going to risk it. We will take in the beauty of God’s Hawaiian waterfalls from outside of the water.

On my DD’s (30) wish list is to swim near/under a Hawaiian waterfall. We will be on the islands of Oahu, Kauai, and Maui. Any suggestions for a safe and beautiful place for her swim?
The only one one Oahu I’ve found so far is Waimea Valley (Falls). Other ideas are much appreciated!!

The Botanical Gardens at Waimea is worth the trip. The North Shore is interesting just to watch the surfers. Be sure to ask for your DVC discount when visiting the Falls!

The Botanical Gardens at Waimea is worth the trip. The North Shore is interesting just to watch the surfers. Be sure to ask for your DVC discount when visiting the Falls!
Wow! How did you know about the DVC discount?? I looked at membership benefits for Hawaii and didn’t see Waimea. Is there another place I should look?

Thanks so much!

Your best bet is Waimea - it has always been known as one of the safer swimming holes (aside from the legend that there's a spirit at the bottom of the pool that drowns humans). Going to watch the the diving show was a popular field trip when I was in elementary school.

Manoa has a reputation for being polluted with lepto. Waihee watershed and Maunawili Falls are good options. waihee can't be accessed legally, but the landowner, Board of Water Supply, generally turns a blind eye.

Please tell your daughter to NEVER dive head first into the water. These pools are filled with boulders and the water has a way of completely masking rocks that are just 3' below the surface.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter