Wave Phone Details

Thanks for posting this information. I'd seen mention of them, but had not bothered researching for myself. :confused3 I would have been in the dark for a while.

Thanks for posting this info on the Wave Phones. We loved them on our Magic Eastern (3/26), but didn't realize that they work on Castaway Cay (we knew that they woudn't work off the ships at the ports, so we just didn't take them with us onto CC). The info in this post is fantastic...everyone should read this prior to their cruise! :woohoo:

DCL Wave Phone - Size Comparison by ssanders79, on Flickr

Just back from a 5 night on the Magic and here is the scoop on the Wave Phones.

Upon check in you will be asked to sign a new waiver. This is a Wave Phone waiver acknowledging the fact that there is a replacement cost of $250/each.

Once you get to your stateroom you will find 2 (or 4) Wave phones, 1 charger and Wave Phone Instructional Guide (pdf) on the desk.

Each phone is assigned a number based on your stateroom followed by a sequential number 1, 2, ect. For example, we were in stateroom 2628 so the numbers were 26281 and 26282.

You can rent more if for other people in your stateroom for $3.50/day. Most rooms have 2 while the suites have 4. You have the option to opt out and not use them. There is no cost to use them, just a charge if you loose or damage a unit.

The phone has a handsfree headset jack on the side.

DCL Wave Phone - Side by ssanders79, on Flickr

The Wave phones have replaced the pagers used by Youth Activies. The phones have texting abilities and service on the ship & Castaway Cay.

Below are the screenshots from the phones display.
As you can see all the red items are locked. For example you could not add contacts, which was disappointing because the other stateroom handset(s) is not entered as a contact. Both units we had did not allow you to change the ringtone, in fact, it was set to vibrate only. At first this was a bit annoying, but in reality it makes sence. These would be ring all the time all over the ship.

DCL Wave Phone - Screenshots by ssanders79, on Flickr

One major issue as with all (with a few exceptions) phones; they are NOT WATERPROOF!!! We saw a teenager run back to his mother at Castaway Cay with a soaked phone that he had in his swim trunks while snorkling. OUCH!!!!

DCL Wave Phone - Back by ssanders79, on Flickr

Thanks this should be a sticky :)

Based on the specs this Aquapac should work. I hope so because I bought 2 for our upcoming cruise. The waterproof feature will be important more so because of rain in Alaska, but we will be taking a cruise to the Caribbean in May 2012, so it will super helpful then. We used walkie talkies before to keep track of my very responsible 9 year old, but static was always an issue (he was always where he told us he would be).
I think that this is great and wish that other cruise lines would embrace this.

Aquacpac Mini Electronics Waterproof Case Fits iPhone, iPod Touch, Droid
by Aquapac Technical Details

You can make and take calls right through the case material. With most phones it makes no noticeable difference to the volume. And the GPS signal is unaffected.
Aquapac added a LENZFLEX window on the back, which means that if you have a camera-phone you'll be able to take photos right through the case.
Most phones float in the Aquapac, but a few don't such as the iPhone. Ultra-slimphones like the iPhone should float if you fold up a few pieces of tissue paper and slide them into the case behind the phone. Test yours in a basin before first use outdoors.
Its guaranteed submersible to 15 feet (5 meters). | The UV-stabilized TPU material won't be broken down or discolored by sunlight.
It comes with an adjustable neck cord so you can hang it round your neck. |
Product Details

Product Dimensions: 8 x 0.8 x 3.2 inches ; 1.1 ounces

This is awesome. Thanks for all the info. These phones are just what I've been waiting for. I can still keep in touch with will be dd16 and dd13 will feel more comfortable. This time we are not going with family or friends and dd13 is a little anxious about not being able to find us so this will make her much more comfortable. Why do some people get 2 and some get 3. There will be 4 of us. I would like to have 3. One for each dd and one for dh and I.

This is awesome. Thanks for all the info. These phones are just what I've been waiting for. I can still keep in touch with will be dd16 and dd13 will feel more comfortable. This time we are not going with family or friends and dd13 is a little anxious about not being able to find us so this will make her much more comfortable. Why do some people get 2 and some get 3. There will be 4 of us. I would like to have 3. One for each dd and one for dh and I.

We will NOT be renting a 3rd phone for dd (10yo). If she wants to get in touch w/ either dh or myself she can pick up one of the many public phones, or have the CMs in the Lab/Club text us.

The phones are too expensive to replace, I don't feel comfy getting extras.

Based upon my earlier reading of this thread, it seems as though all staterooms get 2 phones and Suites get 4. If you want _3_ phones, you will need to pay a rental fee/day.

Does anyone know if you can rent the phones and then return them mid-cruise?:confused3

As someone doing an Alaskan cruise, I could see wanting to have an extra phone on sea days, but not needing one for port days. I realize that the rental fee is not excessive, but it is an interesting question. I _think_ our family of 4 will be fine with only 2 phones, but I'm not positive. (I'm believe that we may need to juggle phones, but that the 4 of us will always be in some kind of pairing.)

We are just off the Wonder to Alaska, and loved the phones. I'm not sure about anyone else, but neither of our phones had clips. One thing I noticed is that every time I answered, my phone was automatically on speaker, so I got in the habit of hitting the key to answer and then the speaker off key every time.

Just off the Dream (June 7th-12th double-dip).

My observations:
I never saw anyone talking on a wave phone anywhere on the ship or on CC. I never heard one ring (I don't think they make any audible noise).

I found them too difficult to text with (I tested it by txt'ing one of our traveling partners in an adjacent room). We ended using our whiteboards more than anything - listing where we would be for the next couple of hours, and that served the purpose of adult-to-adult communication. We'd write: "9am princess gathering in the atrium, followed by Mickey pool, lunch at Cabanas around noon. Going to see "Pirates" in 2D at 11:15 tonight in the BV theatre." Our traveling companions did the same, "Shopping in Nassau, see you at dinner".

We only carried ours (I made DH carry it, he had pockets and it didn't fit in my wristlet) when DD (4) was at Oceaneer's Club.

We got a text from the club on the last day reminding us to return our kid's wristband before midnight.

I'm going to make a larger wristlet for my next cruise so I can carry it if I want. There was more than once that one of us had to go get the phone after dropping DD off in the club, since we weren't in the habit of carrying it.

I saw that really tall palm tree from the observation tower, makes perfect sense now!

These will meet our needs perfectly...we have 2 cabins, DD's (21 and 23) will be in 1 and DH and I in the other....they can text us and each other as much as needed to keep from going into TM withdrawal (I was worried they might seize or something if they had to go an entire week without texting anyone :cool1:) and with these phones I can find them if I want them (and I suppose they could also use them to lose us if they want to also ) ;)

Be very careful, they are fairly cheaply made and any water at all will cause them to malfunction -- we have experience. :scared:

Still hoping it doesn't show up on our visa.

We did report it, but the concierge was working on it. So we are hopeful.:rolleyes1

Be very careful, they are fairly cheaply made and any water at all will cause them to malfunction -- we have experience. :scared:

Still hoping it doesn't show up on our visa.

We did report it, but the concierge was working on it. So we are hopeful.:rolleyes1

What happened to your wave phone then?

What happened to your wave phone then?

We had a wonderful day at one of the family cabanas (highly recommend) and were headed back to the ship. We actually rented extra wave phones (three kids) and had brought them just in case the teenagers decided to go to the teen beach.

During the day -- the phones were on the counter in the cabana -- we finally headed back to the ship. DS15 hadn't been in the water since before lunch (4 hours ago), but I guess his swimsuit was still wet. He put the wave phone in his pocket on the way back to the ship -- big mistake.

It was fried by the time we got back.

We were staying concierge (lucky upgrade) and the concierge staff was trying to fix it when we left. This was over a week ago and we are still keeping our fingers crossed.

We had a wonderful day at one of the family cabanas (highly recommend) and were headed back to the ship. We actually rented extra wave phones (three kids) and had brought them just in case the teenagers decided to go to the teen beach.

During the day -- the phones were on the counter in the cabana -- we finally headed back to the ship. DS15 hadn't been in the water since before lunch (4 hours ago), but I guess his swimsuit was still wet. He put the wave phone in his pocket on the way back to the ship -- big mistake.

It was fried by the time we got back.

We were staying concierge (lucky upgrade) and the concierge staff was trying to fix it when we left. This was over a week ago and we are still keeping our fingers crossed.

I really hope they got it fixed for you without charge! :goodvibes

Ex Techie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter