WB Panama Canal | Mar 4 - Mar 18 | Cruise-Along Thread

Got back from the trip on Sunday - I just barely recovered from it today after spending Sunday and most of yesterday sleeping. - I was so tired.
The Panama Canal was AMAZING. Overall I enjoyed the cruise very much, never expected I would like it so much.
The PC day, the crossing was one of the most special moments in my life. The entire beauty of the canal, the human engineering around it that you get to appreciate at every moment, it was just incredible
We were fortunate enough to have Capt Puckett, a Retired Canal Pilot, onboard when we did our first two DCL PC cruises and he did multiple days of presentations about the Canal. I highly recommend you download or buy his book. The information he presented was fantastic and it will add a lot to your experience. .

https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Puckett-stories-former-Panama/dp/0692086110

We were on this cruise too! :cloud9:
This was DCL #25 for us and omg our best ever! I completely agree with what previous posters said about our wonderful crew, gorgeous weather, amazing experience going through the canal, the incredible beauty of the calm ocean. Almost like a mirror. I said to dh, "This is why they call it Pacific." (as in pacifier, calm). Really a sight to behold, and all the while watching birds dip down, scoop up a fish, gulp it down and keep going.
We've never spent so much time on a cruise just watching the ocean and the sky and appreciating the beauty of nature. :lovestruc It was a long enough cruise to not see the moon at all and to see a full moon too.

I completely disagree with the pp who said aggressive vendors in Cartagena are fake news. On our excursion, we stopped by the outside of the fort without entering, where we could barely take pictures because saying No thank you was a non stop job. They were not nearly as aggressive as the next stop we went to, a little strip of shops. After a while it started feeling like I was being swarmed, really creepy, and I'd run into a shop just to have a few seconds of peace. Dh did buy a leather belt from one for only $10. He also bought some fake Cubans. I understand the people are just desperate to earn some money but after an hour I was just exhausted from it. Not enjoyable at all. We then visited the site of the Tribunal of the Spanish Inquisition then on to a jewelry store full of emeralds. At least it had AC and they gave us water. By the end of our excursion, I couldn't wait to get back on the ship and practically ran through the aviary next to the pier. I would have liked to spend more time there but I was hot, hungry and cranky. In walking around the city, the architecture reminded me of the PoC ride at WDW. :laughing: I'm glad others found areas to enjoy.

I agree with the pp who mentioned how many times Turning Red was played on the ship. The last few days of the cruise, you could call it the Turning Red Theater. We did see it and I'd give it 2-3* out of 5. It was ok but I won't be buying it or watching it on Disney+. Sometimes I feel like they're running out of ideas for movies.

The app was glitchy for us as well. We never saw the PC lecture schedule for Dr. Costanza in the app. We walked into the first one by accident. As a pp stated, the app wouldn't allow us to complete the muster drill, so it told us to meet in the WD Theater the next morning to complete the drill. We went and didn't realize it was a lecture until we were seated. We really wanted to stay but had go to GS to resolve the muster drill requirement and had to wait a long time for a safety officer to meet us and check us off the list. We never saw lectures #2 and 3 until they were put on our SR TV and didn't see #3 until the day after we sailed through the canal. This should have been an easy to find highlight in the app.
I had no idea about the star gazing either; we would have loved to attend that and see with the ship's lights dimmed down. Again, no mention of this in the app. Reading about it here is the first time I learned about it.

We tried to book a placeholder but when you clicked on it at the home page, it took you to another page without any further links. (Worked fine in early December.) So we visited GS again to have our name put on a list and was told we'd get an email in a few days. The CM was earning her ears and I knew we were never going to get an email or a placeholder unless I contact them myself.

One of the shows in the WD Theater was a Crew Talent show. It was interesting and different. Some aspects very different, leaving me thinking, "Am I really seeing this in the WD Theater?" To each his own.

That one rough sea day was wild!!! Everything at the bow and stern was tied down to a railing: ping pong tables, foosball, stacked tables and chairs outside of Palo, loungers, etc. the night before. I never heard our cabin creak so much during the wee hours and it lasted until around dinner time. In the daytime, only deck 9 still had chairs and tables out so we sat by the Goofy pool to watch a movie. Out of nowhere, comes a splash of cold ocean spray on several of us, completely catching us by surprise while our attention was on the movie. Never before would I have believed it if someone told me water splashed them by coming up over deck 10 onto deck 9. Now I would believe it!
All of the glass windshield panels on deck 10 were coated with salt by the end of the day, with kids drawing smilies on some. Everything sparkled again by the next day.

We also enjoyed the 2 times we received the signature sheet titled, Chip and Dale Canoeing the Canal, with instructions to sign your name and cabin number, and attach it to another cabin door. Many people added where they're from which made it more interesting. Besides Americans, cruisers were from Canada, UK, Germany, & Australia. Pretty cool. :grouphug:

I am sad that this was most likely DCL's last PC sailing. We finally got to the stage in our lives that kids are out of school and working and we can sail for this long. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this cruise. Dh felt it was too long though and I admit, it was hard to save up that much vacation time, but I'd do it again in heartbeat. I guess it will have to be on another cruise line. :sad1:

Did anyone run into my favorite server Januar Widodo from Indonesia? He might have been moved up to head server. He was our server on two PC cruises and has been on the Wonder since it started sailing.

Did anyone run into my favorite server Januar Widodo from Indonesia? He might have been moved up to head server. He was our server on two PC cruises and has been on the Wonder since it started sailing.

Sorry, I didn't see a server or head server with that name. Hopefully someone else has.

We were told when we did the EB in November that many of the Crew had moved to other Ships due to the WISH entering the fleet. There were only a few people that we recognized from our other 5 WONDER cruises. Allen one of the Officers in food service was one of the few that we had seen regularly on prior cruises and he was staying. Even Owen from Security was being promoted to the WISH, which he was looking forward to. When we did the DREAM in January we ran into Menish who had been on the WONDER as late as 2019 and he was also moving to the WISH.

How were character meets? Obviously socially distanced but did they do the groupshots with all the characters like they usually do on a panama?

Great cruise....our 13 or 14th on DCL.
In addition to the regular "Disney cruise" activities, we really enjoyed the lecture series on history and construction of Panama Canal and the series on Walt Disney and his vision.

Disappointed in movie selection (did not particularly like Red). Also disappointed in television in room. Most channels didn't work. ESPN was cricket the whole time.

Cartegenia was beautiful. As others mentioned, rhe vendors were very aggressive. At our first stop (the fort), we got off the bus for 5 minutes and got back on. I felt crowded by strangers.

Puerto Vallarta tour took us miles down some rutted dirt road.....not sure it was worth it. Glad I've been to PV because now I know I don't want to ever go back. Cabo was great, especially San Jose. Beautiful little town not yet too spoiled.

For all excursions, I hated that much of the trip was trying to sell us something (jewelry store, shopping strip, etc.) I told DH that we need to pick future excursions more carefully. (Hard because he doesn't do water sports.)

Most folks were very compliant with Covid protocols. I felt very safe (I'm one of those who has barely left the house in 2+ years and VERY cautious.) There apparently were some cases a couple of days after PC crossing as servers and CMs switched to N95 masks (rediculous excuse about washing others) and CDC took us to yellow. Hopefully only a few and mild.

Regarding no more Panama Canal cruises...Take this for what you will....
One server told us that starting next year the Wonder will be doing Mexican Rivera. The Magic will be doing Panama Canal and the Alaska cruises.
I sooo want to believe what she said.
Interesting. Now of course things can change but right now, the CLIA Alaska schedule for 2023 shows the Disney Wonder sailing out of Vancouver next year.

Regarding no more Panama Canal cruises...Take this for what you will....
One server told us that starting next year the Wonder will be doing Mexican Rivera. The Magic will be doing Panama Canal and the Alaska cruises.
I sooo want to believe what she said.
I thought that the Wonder had been remodeled especially for Alaskan sailings whereas the Magic has not, so I doubt it. I thought I read something about the hull being reinforced for ice bergs? And the indoor concierge area above Cove Cafe is meant for Alaskan sailings. Maybe when they have the second new ship in circulation they'll send a second boat (Magic?) to the west coast for the summer...more Panama canal cruises then?

We took a private tour to Cartagena, and it was seriously the best decision. Yes, there were several street vendors who approached, but it was honestly not a big deal. I do think it's worse in a larger group as we saw larger tour groups being mobbed by vendors. "No, gracias" worked well and we were on our way. I thought Cartagena was one of the best ports we have been to, but I would only ever do it on our own or on a private tour.

For all excursions, I hated that much of the trip was trying to sell us something (jewelry store, shopping strip, etc.) I told DH that we need to pick future excursions more carefully. (Hard because he doesn't do water sports.)

I always try to look outside the cruise line's offered excursions because I can't bear to be stuck on a bus for hours with strangers only to be dragged to a shopping trip at the end. Definitely look into doing a private tour next time. We paid $170 for all five of us to take a 5 hour tour in Cartagena, this included an excellent lunch too.

The app was definitely glitchy; we had to close it every day, sometimes multiple times, in order for it to reload that day's activities.

I'm sad so many people did not like Turning Red. As a child of immigrant parents, I really related to Mei's struggles, not to mention that we have all been through that very awkward tween/teen stage! It was definitely scheduled to show many, many times but I noticed that the schedule changed in the last few days and it was not actually showing as often as initially advertised.

I am sad that this was most likely DCL's last PC sailing. We finally got to the stage in our lives that kids are out of school and working and we can sail for this long. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this cruise. Dh felt it was too long though and I admit, it was hard to save up that much vacation time, but I'd do it again in heartbeat. I guess it will have to be on another cruise line. :sad1:

I'm like your husband here. This cruise felt too long. I LOVED it but it was so long.
I'm glad I experienced it because now there's no way I'd do a transatlantic. I wanted to do it, but now I don't.
I'm sorry you experienced aggressive vendors/characters in Cartagena.
We didn't and I said "fake news" because we went on our own to the downtown area in a taxi and encountered maybe 3 people trying to sell us stuff and a quick 'no gracias' brushed them off. Didn't see the packs of vendors ppl were talking about.
We are also fluent in Spanish and were speaking it there so maybe that also kept them away. I think those people target the buses and excursions because of the sheer volume of tourists.
The canal crossing and they day after with the mirror-like ocean were absolutely amazing. They're in the top 5 most unforgettable days in my life. When I pause and reflect on them I start tearing up. They were that memorable. The third one being meeting a WWII vet and talking to him at a restaurant after we went to the museum in NOLA.
This was the trip of a lifetime.

Great cruise....

Disappointed in movie selection (did not particularly like Red). Also disappointed in television in room. Most channels didn't work. ESPN was cricket the whole time.

hahaha...true. ESPN had cricket every time I tuned in... I took advantage of this so I could learn about cricket (I've never understood it) and I still don't get... it's so boring I fell asleep a few minutes in after starting to watch it LOL... but yeah, horrible programing... also, those TV's are so small and old...and we had to request our remote be changed a couple of times because the buttons were so sticky (yuck.. I don't even want to think what those things have been through)

I'm sad so many people did not like Turning Red. As a child of immigrant parents, I really related to Mei's struggles, not to mention that we have all been through that very awkward tween/teen stage!

I liked the main story of Turning Red (emotions, feeling different/left out). But I felt like the graphics and emotions were overdone. I tried to imagine taking my 7yo granddaughter and couldn't see her understanding it. I think it might scare her.

Do you have Navigators you could post? Interested in the daily activities offered on a cruise with many sea days.

Do you have Navigators you could post? Interested in the daily activities offered on a cruise with many sea days.

Navigators are no longer available. You'd have to screen capture the activities from the app, which would be very time-consuming. Some folks have done this for a few cruises since the restart, but not many. The unofficial DCL blog has the best collection of navigators. You can see past Panama Canal sailings here:

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/cruise-planning/itineraries/?ship=2
Scroll down to "Panama Canal" and then click on a cruise to see if navigators are available.

Here's a link to a video for all of the daily activities in the app... not nearly as easy as having the good ol' paper navigators to look back at. There's another video that shows all of the paper Dinner restaurant menus from the sailing.

I liked the main story of Turning Red (emotions, feeling different/left out). But I felt like the graphics and emotions were overdone. I tried to imagine taking my 7yo granddaughter and couldn't see her understanding it. I think it might scare her.
My 6yo son really liked it... and having been a teeny-bopper teen in the 00s... I don't think the emotion was as overblown as you did. I've seen people faint at boy band concerts because they were so overcome with emotion just being there

\

Most folks were very compliant with Covid protocols. I felt very safe (I'm one of those who has barely left the house in 2+ years and VERY cautious.) There apparently were some cases a couple of days after PC crossing as servers and CMs switched to N95 masks (rediculous excuse about washing others) and CDC took us to yellow. Hopefully only a few and mild.
Is this the Wonder? Because it is now orange. I don't think it has ever been worse than that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter