WB Panama Canal | Mar 4 - Mar 18 | Cruise-Along Thread

IS it really such a draw for people who live in the area? I'd think it would be old hat after a while. "Ooh, look. Another ship."

This was the first time we went through so I don't have a reference for the new locks vs the old, but the time we entered from the the canal from the Caribbean and the time we exited to the Pacific were both way off from what they had told us they would be.

I figured it was probably Covid keeping crowds away. It was only thinking back to the time difference between when we expected to enter and exit that made me think that any people that might have been planning on watching might have just ended up showing up too late to catch us... at least on the exit... on the entrance I don't know if I would have gotten up that early to watch if we weren't on the ship, lol.
There are 3 sets of locks in the old canal and it took us a little over 10 hours from the time we entered the locks until we crossed under the Bridge of the Americas. The 2017 crossing took about 9 hours and that included the lengthy ceremony on board marking the occasion. So it was roughly 2 hours faster. I didn't watch the clock, but I think ti was even a little shorter in November when we did the EB.

Last edited:
IS it really such a draw for people who live in the area? I'd think it would be old hat after a while. "Ooh, look. Another ship."
Yes, It's a DISNEY ship and they always play "When You Wish Upon a Star".. once the horn blows the crowd starts to disperse.

I sometimes go out to see the Wonder when it's in San Francisco during its once-per-year northbound Pacific Coast cruise, so it wouldn't surprise me if people got excited about it passing the Panama Canal when it only happened twice each year.

Here is my review of the trip. I will break it down into a few pieces.

CREW & SERVICE

The CMs worked very hard, and the level of service was right up there with some of our best DCL cruises. The energy and service quality were up non-stop throughout the cruise.

Special props to two individuals before everyone else.

Stephen the cruise director is very underrated. He looks the corporate type at first, but, boy, did he really light up the evening entertainment with his intros. One memorable act was getting the audience to clap to the tune of the Blue Danube before the 'Right on Key' performance. 'What an unusual way to resign' during the crew talent show and having the audience pose for the 'standing ovation' had a lot of us burst into spontaneous laughter.

Luan, our head server from South Africa, richly deserves a medal for his 14 days of hard work. Pure, non-stop energy and a drive to make the MDR experience a delight every night. We connected very well with him - with lots of stories to share. His family moved to Poland years ago, and he had an eye on what was going on in eastern Europe. Coincidentally, he would debark with us in San Diego to end his current contract.

The serving crew was a mix of folks from Indonesia, Phillipines, India, and parts of eastern Europe. Many had been recruited away from other cruiselines that were still not 100% operational. They were all hoping to return to DCL for their next contracts.

Rating: 10/10

ENTERTAINMENT

Entertainment is one of the reasons you might pay the Disney premium, and it didn't disappoint. The three big productions - Frozen, Golden Mickeys, and Dreams - were superb as always.

The highlights this time were the variety acts. Lynn's ventriloquism act was an instant classic, plus Charles Peachock (the juggler from America's Got Talent), Jon Armstrong (the Magic Castle magician), Right on Key (the award-winning a capella group), Art of Circus, and many others made every evening count.

The dance classes, led by Willem and Natalia, were a lot of fun. Willem blended instruction with well-timed comedy. He used a lot of on-board references too, including 'Dolphins and Whales' in the Samba class after we had sighted a few on the Pacific side.

Two deck parties - Frozen and Pirate Night - plus another evening of fireworks were very well put together. The entertainment crew showed off their dance moves. And having some of them perform solo on the crew talent show was brilliant.

Yup, 'Turning Red' took over the on-board theaters on release. I think the first 70% of it was very enjoyable. A bit like Encanto, its vulnerability probably rested in describing a problem few could relate to. I know this is the Moana and Coco formula - a family drama in the context of a major cultural theme - though the predecessors had either a great cast, relatable story, or phenomenal music - or all. That said, we very much enjoyed watching it in the moment - and really can't fault DCL for taking the risk.

It's funny our teenagers were looking to do a re-run of the MCU movies on the big screen over these 14 days, but there were absolutely none to be found - other than the Eternals. You could say the traveling demographic had something to do with it. We tried the in-room TV, but that tiny screen experience was a quick bust.

Rating: 9/10

Last edited:
FOOD

This is a polarizing topic, and the 14-nighter does little to bridge any gaps.

First of all, MDR dining continues to be terrific. The staples on the menu with their daily variations - fish fillet, chicken breast, and steak - are your go-to. The rotation and choice of the appetizers also dials it up right at the outset. The Seasons menu brings out exciting new items every few days, and the themed nights add their own variety. When coupled with dining entertainment, the DCL MDRs are hard to beat.

We had a brunch and a dinner at Palo too. I think $45 cover doesn't do justice to how good the Palo food is. The brunch, in particular, is our favorite DCL meal. Two hours of pure bliss from hot breakfast preparations to lunch flourishes to some amazingly presented dessert items. The brunch was very difficult to secure - not surprisingly but possibly also because of the heavy mix of Platinum guests.

Now, on a 14-night sailing with 10 sea days, just like entertainment, you want variety in food too. And this is where you start to see why DCL ships are better suited for 3- to 7-night itineraries. Regardless of the quality of food preparation, serving team, and dining entertainment, Wonder still has just one specialty restaurant. The food items in the MDRs, despite all the hard work, start to repeat and give you that feeling of deja vu. I know the chefs try their best to mix things up, but it can't really replicate a true specialty dining experience. Because of the ports, we didn't notice it much previously on the big European sailings - but this 14-nighter with 10 sea days brought the issue to the fore.

Lunch is probably the weak link. Cabanas food is OK, and the convenience of getting it quickly served probably trumps dialing up quality that could slow things down. The best sitdown option for lunch, on this sailing, was at Tiana's - open between 12.00 PM and 1.30 PM - which would get incredibly busy.

Again, a lack of ports shifted the focus a whole lot more to what was available at lunch time.

Rating: 7/10

Last edited:
SHIP

Wonder and Magic have been doing the heavy lifting for the fleet. Wonder has the long Panama Canal and Hawaii sailings to boot, and Magic has the big European and TA sailings under the belt. A lot of work has gone into keeping the two elder sisters in top shape.

Wonder is sparkling clean, and the rooms spotless. She is a sight to behold in any port.

But, as Luisa from Encanto notes:

So, when we ran into rough weather off the coasts of Costa Rica and Nicaragua on the Pacific side, Wonder didn't take it too well. We were almost splashed around the whole day that day - with creaking that could keep you awake all night. Those were rough waters alright. But, there were also a bit of wind on the day before San Diego, and we found the ship rocking and creaking again. It seemed as if the ship took any or all turbulence to heart.

We were so lucky to have almost perfect weather through most of the trip, and that actually meant so much more than it might seem.

Rating: 8/10

Last edited:
PORTS

The ports were amazing - not the least because of the incredible weather throughout this cruise.

Cozumel needs little intro. We got a day pass at Westin Cozumel to hit the beach, do some snorkelling, enjoy a different lunch menu, and swim in the larger pools.

In Cartagena, we did DCL's excursion that would stop at the fort, guide you through the walled city, and then give you some time to explore the neighborhoods on your own. Other than the street vendors, it was a good, efficient use of sightseeing time. See the pics I posted earlier in this thread, and my thoughts on what to see.

The transit was phenomenal. And here is my advice for the first timers.

In the early morning, make your way to the front of the ship and snag one of the front row standing spots on the top deck. Do it before the ship enters the first lock. Plan to spend an hour or two, as the ship makes its way through those locks before the lake.

For the afternoon, snag a table under the shade at the aft just outside Cabanas. Watch the locks and transit from the aft. No wind, much more peaceful, and plenty of food next door! Once the ship exits the second set of locks, make your way to the top, and catch the sights of the bridge and Panama City (if westbound).

No need to record a lot of video on your own. You can buy a transit timelapse from Shutters for $30 before debarkation.

Puerto Vallarta had fantastic weather. Two major things to do: (1) hit the beach and a pool complex if weather is good, or (2) hit the mountains for jungle activities such as zip lines, river runs, etc. We were craving another beach day, so we got a day pass at the Marriott. The sand on the beach was hot. Almost too hot to walk on until you hit the water, which made it such a memorable experience.

Cabo was Baja California at its best. Desert meets ocean. Lots of sand on the beaches, and warm waters of March. We did a DCL excursion that got us on a boat to the Arches rocks, did some spectacular whale watching, briefly visited a local glass-blowing factory, and capped it with a drinks stop at a clifftop restaurant for a great view of the bay. The restaurant's setting reminded us of a slice of Santorini in Mexico.

As others have noted, we would love more stops along the way. One in Costa Rica or Caymans would be nice. Or even swap Cartagena for Aruba every few sailings.

Rating: 9/10

OVERALL

Oh, such an amazing trip - and a must-do for any DCL fan. If you can find time, make it happen.

Would we do it again? Yes, absolutely - though maybe as a couple. The kids have experienced what they wanted to. I can see why the crossing attracts older folks, who aren't really in it for travel. They simply want to be taken care of by Disney for 14 days.

Overall Rating: 9/10

Last edited:
How was dining rotations. Especially with Tiana's and animators since your probably visited them each 3 to 4 times? What did they do for each visit?

They started off with the Let the Magic Begin menu in all the dining rooms, and then cycled once through each of the traditional rotational dining menus. After once through, they spiced it up with some lesser seen menus (plus the Pirates menu) for several nights before going once more through each of the more traditional rotational menus to end it.

This was our rotation:
Let the Magic Begin (Tiana's)
Triton's (Tritons)
Animator's Palate (Animator's)
Prince and Princess (Tiana's)
* Seasons (Tritons)
* Vista (Animator's)
* Panama Canal (Tiana's)
* Land and Sea (Tritons)
Pirates (Animator's)
* Freezing the Night Away (Tiana's)
* World of Flavour (Tritons)
Animation Magic (Animator's)
Mardi Gras (Tiana's)
Captian's Gala (Tritons)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter