• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Accessible Room Location Thread - UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bumping with an update since folks have been asking about rooms lately!!

Carol

You need to insist that you speak to special needs and not let CRO say it is enough for them to do it. I find some feel it is too much of a bother so do not let you speak to special needs. I don't need the full shower either but need the full grab bars and it is enough to wait until I reach the resort and hope I get them.

Studio 2610 at OKW - walk-in shower, large bathroom, no tub, shower curtain drapes onto floor to a point where water doesn't get into the room; only problem, the plates, cups, etc were in a cabinet too high to reach from a seated position.

I notice that CRO is blocking us from contacting Special needs wehn we make a reservation. It makes me very unsure that I will get what is needed since I have multiple needs. I was told at first that I could not have both wheelchair accessibility and the needed visual alarms for heard of hearing in the same room as they don't have them both in one room. I basically told them to get the kit and set it up then. I will be calling tmw to make sure of what the have and insisting I talk to an confirm everey thing with special needs. Since I am travelling alone and do not have a fully hearing person to depend on for alarms I am concerned about this as well as having full grab bars in the tub so I don't fall.

OKW rooms 2816 and 2815 are both accessible rooms. One is a studio and one is a 1 bedroom (sorry I can't remember which is which since we had both rooms). They both had the roll-in showers and the one-bedroom also had a huge jacuzzi tub. They are both on the ground floor by the way (terrible view, but we didn't care about that).

We have just returned from staying at POFQ and AKL.

At FQ we had room 3140, ground floor king with roll-in shower which connects with 3139 a standard 2 queen bed room.

At AKL we had room 4203 a standard view 2 queen bed room with roll-in shower on 4th floor Kudu trail above the lobby. The balcony of this room is closed in so no view at all if you are in a wheelchair and the balcony was very difficult to access too as the door opens out and takes up almost the whole width of the balcony when open. I would have thought a sliding door (as on the bathroom) would have been more appropriate.

Hi!

We are planning our first WDW trip with my 90 yo grandmother. Although we have been there many times this will be a first with my grandmother.

She walks with the aid of a walker, but we will be using her wheelchair at the parks every day.

I had some conflicting reports from CM's. One CM told me that even though there will be 4 people in the handicapped room (my parents, 12yo ds, and grandmother), only a king-sized bed would be available. The connecting room would have myself, dh, and 2 other sons in (non-handicapped room). She said that a roll-away bed could be used, but that would mean that 3 people would share the king-sized bed & 1 would use the roll-away. I'm concerned about this & the CM said that it would be "worked out" at check-in.

I spoke with a 2nd CM who said that there are 2 bed handicapped rooms available, but she couldn't tell me which building(s) they were located in.

I would like some specifics, but haven't gotten any. I'd like to have our check-in and stay to go as smoothly as possible for our family.

scaryleo said:
Accessible AKL Concierge room!

I can't remember the number but if you stand in the Lobby and look up at the Con. Lounge the room is on the right about 3 doors down.
There were 5 of us in there. Me, DH (has MS) 2 kids and baby in crib.
There were 2 Queen beds.
Luckily DH's ECV could stay out on the landing for charging or we would never have had room. The bathroom is large with Roll-in Shower but there was no more room in there than at POR. If you are in a wheel chair and want to get onto the balcony you'd have to push the door outwards and try and get over a small door frame. Very badly thought out.
If you are in a wheelchair/ECV and want to get in the Elevator you've got to be real quick! You don't know which of the 6 will arrive and if you are facing the wrong way and don't get there in time you'd have to wait for the next one.
As you may have noticed we didn't like AKL. If there is just 2 of you and have a King bed you should be OK.
We also thought Concierge was a waste of money, even with a discount.

My experience was completely opposite with this room. First of all there is no lip to the balcony and I had no touble getting out there in my wheekchair. Second there was plently of room to manuever but I did not have a crib to worry about. We also used one with the tub railings and it had a bunk bed and queen and was quite roomy. I did have problem with the sliding glass doors and a lip there.
Elevator are fine, but yodu do have to be fast. That said, my kids told me thre was a ding when it arrived and they had no problem figuring where it came from. I can't hear the ding and still only missed it once.
We were 4 adults in the room. And we loved concierge.

DisneyMom23Boys said:
Hi!

We are planning our first WDW trip with my 90 yo grandmother. Although we have been there many times this will be a first with my grandmother.

She walks with the aid of a walker, but we will be using her wheelchair at the parks every day.

I had some conflicting reports from CM's. One CM told me that even though there will be 4 people in the handicapped room (my parents, 12yo ds, and grandmother), only a king-sized bed would be available. The connecting room would have myself, dh, and 2 other sons in (non-handicapped room). She said that a roll-away bed could be used, but that would mean that 3 people would share the king-sized bed & 1 would use the roll-away. I'm concerned about this & the CM said that it would be "worked out" at check-in.

I spoke with a 2nd CM who said that there are 2 bed handicapped rooms available, but she couldn't tell me which building(s) they were located in.

I would like some specifics, but haven't gotten any. I'd like to have our check-in and stay to go as smoothly as possible for our family.

Does your grandmother actually need a fully handicapped acessible room? They can provide a tub bench if needed and did when my leg was casted. If she can walk around the room she may not really need the fully accessible room. Then it wouldn't be a problem with a connecting room with 2 beds in each.

DisneyMom23Boys said:
Have you spoken with Special Reservations, or just with CRO (the regular reservation people)?
Here's the number for Special Resort Reservations: 407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670)

It's possible that the CMs are talking about 2 types of accessible rooms. The fully wheelchair accessible rooms have roll in showers, roll under sinks and manouvering room around the toilet for transfers in/out of a wheelchair. Because there needs to be at least a 32 inch wheelchair path and turning space throughout the room, those rooms at all the resorts tend to have one King bed. Depending on how the room is arranged and whether they still have space for manouvering room, I have heard (but don't know for sure) that some rooms at some resorts have been re-configured with 2 smaller beds.

The other type of room is handicapped, but not fully wheelchair accessible. Those rooms have regular tubs/showers with grab bars and grab bars by the toilet (and maybe raised seat toilets). Those rooms don't work well for someone who can't get around without their wheelchair (although we did sometimes use them when DD was little and had a small pediatric wheelchair), but they may be just what is needed by someone who is using a wheelchair/ecv for distances, but doesn't need it in the room and needs a little extra security in the tub/shower. Depending on the size of the walker, someone using a walker might be able to use it in one of these rooms.

Depending on your grandmother's needs, she may need a fully wheelchair accessible room or just the tub with grab bars.

Hi!

I just got off the phone with the 3rd Grand Gatherings CM today. I found out by directly calling ASMo that I would need to make sure that our reservation qualified & was specified as Special Needs Request.

Yes, all handicap-accessible rooms at ASMo have king-sized beds, but if specified as a special needs it would be connected to a regular room with 2 full beds.

My grandmother (90 yo) cannot walk or stand on her own without a walker, nor can she lift her leg over a tub, so a fully-handicap accesible room would be needed with a walk-in shower, hand rails and fold down shower seat for me to bathe her.

That would mean that our Grand Gathering of 8 would require 3 rooms, instead of the 2 that I thought.

Thank you for your replies. I think that this answered all of my questions. I will call ASMo on Tuesday to speak with the Room Assigner to go over the final details before we leave.

Please pray for my grandmother. This will be the first time she's been to WDW and she is VERY anxious about flying down on Thursday (she's never flown before & can get easily frazzled - her dr. has prescribed a nerve pill for her to help releive some of this anxiety prior to & during the flight).

Thanks again & have a Disney-filled day wherever you may be!
:)
Deb

DisneyMom23Boys said:
Hi!

The king bed rooms have rollin showers, if you don't need them then the 2 double bed room will work better for you. It has grab bars and a tub. You can also get those with connecting rooms. If you don't need the rollin shower or the grab bars then all you need is 2 connecting rooms.

They are in just about all of the buildings there. I would get all of this done BEFORE you go down though. If you need the handicapped room then maybe you should call special reservations direct and get what you need.

Thanks, PugDog for the reply.

Yes, I have confirmed that my grandmother qualifies & will receive the room with the roll/walk-in shower.

Thanks for the information that all of the rooms have the grab bars in the tubs.

Have a great day!
:)
Deb

Hi!

I found out this valuable information and wanted to pass it along, because, unfortunately, I wasn't informed of this when making my ressies. (This refers to the All-Star Resorts - all are laid out the same way).

Usually Standard vs. Preferred means:
Standard is a view of parking lot, etc.
Preffered is a view of courtyard, etc.

This is NOT the case in walk/roll-in shower handicap-accessible rooms.

Standard is the farthest building from the food court and bus stop.
Preferred costs $12/night/room for a handicapped-accessible room.

anybody had a wheelchair accessable room at SSR which wasn't on the ground (think the might call it 1st floor) floor. because DS can't get out of wheelchair thought it would be nice for him to be in an upper floor so he can see out.

DisneyMom23Boys said:
Hi!

I found out this valuable information and wanted to pass it along, because, unfortunately, I wasn't informed of this when making my ressies. (This refers to the All-Star Resorts - all are laid out the same way).

This is for all rooms not just handicapped. If you want a room in the preferred building you pay and extra amount at the All Stars. And the standard is any room not in the 2 preferred buildings so you may not be that far out but you can be.

Hi!

Talking Hands said:
This is for all rooms not just handicapped. If you want a room in the preferred building you pay and extra amount at the All Stars. And the standard is any room not in the 2 preferred buildings so you may not be that far out but you can be.

Let me further clarify this. We have had handicapped accessible rooms at All-Star Sports and All-Star Movies that have been Standard View Rooms.

As my list in the top of this thread states:

All-Star Sports
Touchdown - Building 10, 2nd Floor, Parking Lot View, Handicapped Accessible with Roll-In Shower, King-Sized Bed, it did connect to two doubles.

All-Star Movies - Mighty Ducks Building 2, 1st Floor, Courtyard View, Handicapped Accessible King-Sized Bed with Walk-In/Roll-In Shower, connecting to two doubles. (Fridge in room not working 09/2004).

All-Star Movies - Mighty Ducks Building 2, 2nd Floor, Courtyard View, Handicapped Accessible King-Sized Bed with Walk-In/Roll-In Shower, don't know what bedding connecting room.

None of these rooms are in Preferred Buildings at All-Stars

Carol

I have always been placed in the building next to the preferred building when staying at All Star Music, Sports and Movies, if I have not requested the preferred building. Fully accessible rooms and rooms with grab bars around the tub. So I stand by my statement. Sorry you had bad luck on getting stuck far out but the do have them closer in. I specifically ask for close as I use a power wheelchair and want to be able to get to the room even if I am on my last bars when I get back from the parks. I also request first floor because of not being able to get down stairs myself. Both are usually granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter