WDW and DL Pirates to change Redhead scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very clear what it is - it's also clear that those are bad people doing it and what they are doing is bad .... though, I guess this is less of a clear delineation the more they add in "good pirates" like Jack Sparrow into the ride

I certainly get why they are changing it - but I also think it is ok to feel sad that something Walt had a direct hand in is going away

Is it clear though? If everyone knew it was bad, then why is there mourning over the potential loss of the 'we wants the redhead' line? It's a line born out of the auction. If the auction is clearly bad, then so is the resulting sentiment

Is it clear though? If everyone knew it was bad, then why is there mourning over the potential loss of the 'we wants the redhead' line? It's a line borne out of the auction. If the auction is clearly bad, then so is the resulting sentiment
IMO if it was such an issue why didn't it happen sooner? Disney is usually ahead on these types of things. The ride has been this way for 50 years and there is going to be some adjustment and mourning because it's a classic attraction.

I know they changed the scene a while back where the men used to chase the women, but they reversed it to be more politically correct.

There's a lot of things on the ride that aren't "OK".

I don't want my kids burning down a town, or shooting wildly, or dunking people in wells, or getting wasted and lying with pigs (unless all their homework is done).

I really don't think this change is necessary, but it wont stop me from enjoying the ride if they change it.

Is it clear though? If everyone knew it was bad, then why is there mourning over the potential loss of the 'we wants the redhead' line? It's a line borne out of the auction. If the auction is clearly bad, then so is the resulting sentiment

I guess I just think you can enjoyed and appreciate an attraction and a line from said attraction and separate it what is being depicted from the past and is going on in real life

If I wear a shirt that quotes the ride and people think I am doing so because I support slavery they I don't know what to do anymore because enjoying a ride in a themepark has nothing to do with supporting a cruel act, one for which those that engage have a special place in hell reserved

IMO if it was such an issue why didn't it happen sooner? Disney is usually ahead on these types of things. The ride has been this way for 50 years and there is going to be some adjustment and mourning because it's a classic attraction.
Exactly, you would have thought they'd have made the changes sooner. And we could then go into other 'non-politically correct' things in Disney Parks and also in Disney films/tv...

I guess I just think you can enjoyed and appreciate an attraction and a line from said attraction and separate it what is being depicted from the past and is going on in real life

If I wear a shirt that quotes the ride and people think I am doing so because I support slavery they I don't know what to do anymore because enjoying a ride in a themepark has nothing to do with supporting a cruel act, one for which those that engage have a special place in hell reserved
I couldn't agree with this more.

Looking at the concept art is having the red head hold a gun and a bottle of alcohol all that great too?

If we really want to be politically correct I feel pirates would be shut down altogether.

Bureaucracy? Sentimentality? No one coming forward and saying "hey, maybe we shouldn't be promoting the human slave trade as a form of entertainment"?

Disney movies are full of coded racism and historical inaccuracies. I wouldn't say they are ahead of the curve on these types of things. Happily Ever After projects the harem girls onto the castle for a good period of time and that's a brand new show.

Honestly, I think that anyone who chooses to wear the shirt either hasn't considered the implications of the line, or has and chooses not to care. You don't have to actively engage in a broken system to support it. Yeah, Disney is all about escapism, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't exist.

This is a subject that I am deeply passionate about and have been involved in advocacy and awareness for many years. This scene bothered me when I first went to Disneyland. It has continued to bother me since I've moved permanently to Disney World. I will openly celebrate this change

Bureaucracy? Sentimentality? No one coming forward and saying "hey, maybe we shouldn't be promoting the human slave trade as a form of entertainment"?

Disney movies are full of coded racism and historical inaccuracies. I wouldn't say they are ahead of the curve on these types of things. Happily Ever After projects the harem girls onto the castle for a good period of time and that's a brand new show.

Honestly, I think that anyone who chooses to wear the shirt either hasn't considered the implications of the line, or has and chooses not to care. You don't have to actively engage in a broken system to support it. Yeah, Disney is all about escapism, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world doesn't exist.

This is a subject that I am deeply passionate about and have been involved in advocacy and awareness for many years. This scene bothered me when I first went to Disneyland. It has continued to bother me since I've moved permanently to Disney World. I will openly celebrate this change
I by no means support slavery and stuff like that but we will have to disagree about the attraction. I like Phil don't believe wearing a shirt with attraction quotes means you support such a thing. If I wear a Splash Mountain shirt does that mean I support racism from song of the south?

Other than song of the south which movies are you referring to about racism? Disney has been doing great in my opinion with making movies like Frozen and Moana where it shows women don't need a prince and stuff like that.

I guess I never considered it as I can completely separate an attraction with robots from reality - but if there are people out there than cannot and see this as supporting the slave trade, then I agree, it should be changed because this is obviously nothing that should be even tacitly supported

(and the fact that in the Hall of President's thread I am reading of people booing the Obama animatronic, maybe I should realize that some people can't separate the two)

Other than song of the south which movies are you referring to about racism? Disney has been doing great in my opinion with making movies like Frozen and Moana where it shows women don't need a prince and stuff like that.

Historically, Disney films are full of coded racism that can easily be researched.
More recently, we have the entirety of Pocahontas and the erasure of her story, and the fact that only just recently did we get a black princess (whose story had to be modified because the original plans barely counted as being coded).

And the stories of princess who don't need a prince - those are all extremely recent. Yet last I checked women didn't just become autonomous beings in the last 10 years.

Sure, progress is being made, but that doesn't put Disney ahead of any curve.

Better start making a list of all the ride elements that have to go .... might have half a park before we know it.

(1) MK is fantasy, theme park, no reality [main reason I would like HoP to to to Epcot] (2) we can not erase the past, if we keep doing that we have nothing to learn from (3) it can be looked at as a teaching tool for children rather than shield them which in itself can lead to repeats (4) how many Halloween costumes are totally inappropriate.

Life is serious enough .... if a place is somewhere you can't enjoy ... don't go. I've gotten old enough I just say no to things and people I won't enjoy, life is just too short. Fully believe folks should stand up for what they believe in, and if your company, friends etc don't support your beliefs ... move on. And honestly we have much bigger problems right now than some AA movie set.

That said, as long as they do a good scene, I don't care. But if it stayed, I don't care.

Historically, Disney films are full of coded racism that can easily be researched.
More recently, we have the entirety of Pocahontas and the erasure of her story, and the fact that only just recently did we get a black princess (whose story had to be modified because the original plans barely counted as being coded).

And the stories of princess who don't need a prince - those are all extremely recent. Yet last I checked women didn't just become autonomous beings in the last 10 years.

Sure, progress is being made, but that doesn't put Disney ahead of any curve.
Well of course Pocahontas isn't historically accurate. I was thinking even more recent than that though like post 2005.

I guess we just see it differently. Movies overall have changed overtime. Society has changed overtime. When those historically incorrect or racist, etc. type movies came out they were okay in those time periods. Society didn't reject them and they were accepted. I'll use song of the south as an example. When that movie came out it was considered fine and people didn't go nuts about just how bad it is. Now it wouldn't be allowed to come out.

The world and people has progressed and changed. It will continue to do so because that's what humans do.

I think Disney has done an amazing job moving forward and being ahead of the curve with these types of things.

1) MK is fantasy, theme park, no reality [main reason I would like HoP to to to Epcot] (2) we can not erase the past, if we keep doing that we have nothing to learn from (3) it can be looked at as a teaching tool for children rather than shield them which in itself can lead to repeats (4) how many Halloween costumes are totally inappropriate.
1. Agreed.
2. Agreed.
3. Exactly, we don't need history to repeat itself and erasing it completely might lead to that.
4. 1000+

Oh man now I won't be able to say "Show us your starboard side". Its okay though. They aren't getting rid of the red head she's staying. Also seems it is still staying an "auction" just not a people auction so it'll probably stay pretty much the same just a change of dialogue and some extra props.

Here is a question I have. If it's not okay to have the slavery and selling of women, is it okay for the redhead to have a shotgun and boose in her hands? Obviously different subjects but both can be bad.

To me pirates is a comedic dark ride with some historical accuracies and inaccuracies. Slavery was a huge part of our past. We have learned from that but does that mean we need to get rid of any reference to it?

I really just don't want this ride changed. If people don't want to ride it for one scene, then don't ride it. The ride is still going to have 60 minute waits anyways whether you ride it or not. If the ride was suffering from popularity because of "political correctness," then this might be a needed change. I just don't see the need for it personally. Are there things in this attraction that I don't support, oh yeah (drinking, torturing, auctioning people off, burning down a city, shooting people, stealing, etc)! I enjoy the ride for the story and the historical aspect to Disney history. I can separate the real world from a fun story.

If you don't support anything above, then never see the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. All of the things that I listed above can be found in all/some of those movies. Yet, these movies are some of the most popular Disney movies in recent history.

A sad day. Look the ride is a fantasy. It makes pirates look cool and fun. In reality they smelled awful and were evil and cruel. There are pirates today that still murder and steal. So if we took the ride as reality there should be no pirate ride. Where does PC stop. I think changing the scene is wrong. Why because it is not reality. I do understand in some countries women are still auctioned off it is wrong an cruel. So if you are going to sanitize the ride to make it PC might as well just close down the ride. Since it seems some people can not see the difference between reality and fantasy. Here were are discussing that people are still auctioned off. It is a wonderful taking point. Now this talking point will be lost. I just think it did not need to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter