WDW Annual Pass Renewal - NO Charter Pass anymore in 2021

DisneyGuys

Earning My Ears
Of course, everything with Disney is *subject to change...

I called the V.I.Passholder line to ask if WDW will still be offering the Charter option for the new series of Annual Passes coming up. Sadly, the answer was "No. We will no longer offer Charter Annual Passes." That is a disappointment after almost 40 years being a WDW Passholder.

For those that may not know...
If you had an WDW Annual Pass since they were first offered in 1982 (maybe part of 1983, too) and you renewed every year without letting your pass lapse, it was indicated on your AP that you were a "Charter Subscriber" (beginning with the passes in 1985). The Charter status granted an additional (some years large) discount when renewing the AP. Since around 2017, the discount has only been $50, but hey, $50 is $50. And I looked forward to that discount every year as well as the (unknown to most) status of still being a Charter Annual Passholder.

So now after 39 years being a WDW Passholder, Disney will no longer off the Charter designation nor the discount. It would have been nice to make it to an anniversary of 40 year, but I guess Disney let me milk this thing for as long as I could. In my heart and in my obituary, I will always be a "Walt Disney World CHARTER Annual Passholder."

One of many things I have learned in those 39 years is if you ask 3 Cast Members the same question, you will get 3 different answers. So my glimmer of pixie dust hope will be that the next Cast Member I ask will tell me I can keep the Charter prestige. :-)

If anyone else gets a different answer, please post and let all us Charter folks know.
For the non-Charters out there, enjoy the schadenfreude this offers.

Daniel

I called the V.I.Passholder line to ask if WDW will still be offering the Charter option for the new series of Annual Passes coming up. Sadly, the answer was "No. We will no longer offer Charter Annual Passes." That is a disappointment after almost 40 years being a WDW Passholder.

If you had an WDW Annual Pass since they were first offered in 1982 (maybe part of 1983, too) and you renewed every year without letting your pass lapse, it was indicated on your AP that you were a "Charter Subscriber" (beginning with the passes in 1985). The Charter status granted an additional (some years large) discount when renewing the AP. Since around 2017, the discount has only been $50, but hey, $50 is $50. And I looked forward to that discount every year as well as the (unknown to most) status of still being a Charter Annual Passholder.

So now after 39 years being a WDW Passholder, Disney will no longer off the Charter designation nor the discount. It would have been nice to make it to an anniversary of 40 year, but I guess Disney let me milk this thing for as long as I could. In my heart and in my obituary, I will always be a "Walt Disney World CHARTER Annual Passholder."

One of many things I have learned in those 39 years is if you ask 3 Cast Members the same question, you will get 3 different answers. So my glimmer of pixie dust hope will be that the next Cast Member I ask will tell me I can keep the Charter prestige. :-)

View attachment 601205

If anyone else gets a different answer, please post and let all us Charter folks know.

Daniel
Look that young man. hahaha.... love the necklaces

View attachment 601205

Daniel
What a petty, stupid way for Disney to alienate their absolutely most loyal customers. Continuously renewing an AP for 40 years and Disney can't even be bothered to kick you a $50 discount anymore? Insanity. There is just no logic to this. How many of you could even exist? How many tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars have you spent at Disney in 40 years? I'm sorry, this is just such a stupid decision by them (and I'd never heard of charter before this post).

View attachment 601205

Daniel

Unfortunately, your first mistake was thinking the people in charge know what a charter pass is!

No schadenfreude here. I'm glad to know that someone got to enjoy something this special and sorry to hear that it's coming to an end.

Honestly, how many of you could there possibly be left? Not to be morbid, but they should have just held on to this status until the last of your breed passed on to that magical castle in the sky.

And to think , it could have been a great story and now it is just another not very nice Disney story
You have my “Bravo” and you deserve a sticker to commemorate this or a Refrigerator Magnet or maybe just a special Disney Pin. A nice signed letter or photo from Mickey Mouse …
Oh well Go to CityHall and get your own darn pin to write
CHARTER Member since 1982 I’m Celebrating!

Last edited:

Wow, I'd forgotten about those old laminated passes with a photo. I think I had 2 of them before they switched over to the plainer cards.

We had these at DLR too back when I got APs in the 80s!
I left California before they had annual passes. I do remember when the Magic Kingdom Club daily passport was first introduced. It was $11. If you didn't have a MKC card, you had to buy the regular ticket books.

View attachment 601205

Daniel

Chapek/Iger show no loyalty to their best customers.

Thanks for posting. I didn't know there was such a thing. Amazing that you have been an AP holder for that long. Equally amazing that Disney is stopping recognition of such loyalty.

that’s very sad they don’t offer it anymore. I can’t imagine it involving anything at all to keep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter