WDW before or after cruise? Thoughts?

Shuttlegirl

Earning My Ears
My husband and I did WDW before our cruise for our honeymoon, and we both felt it would have been better the other way around because we relaxed on the cruise but went straight from stress/work to hi energy WDW.

Since starting to read here, as we're planning a family trip with both, I've been surprised by the number of people strongly urging the other way.

Just wondering what some of the reasons are and what other people's experiences have been.

My husband and I did WDW before our cruise for our honeymoon, and we both felt it would have been better the other way around because we relaxed on the cruise but went straight from stress/work to hi energy WDW.

Since starting to read here, as we're planning a family trip with both, I've been surprised by the number of people strongly urging the other way.

Just wondering what some of the reasons are and what other people's experiences have been.
We prefer WDW before. As you say, WDW is go, go, go. The cruise is more relaxing after all that activity.

Also, it's a big shock to some to go from the "how can I help you attitude" and free food onboard to the "I was here first" and paying big bucks to eat at WDW.

We actually did WDW before our cruise and went back for a couple days after the cruise. At WDW it is all go go go with little or no relaxation. On the other hand we found the cruise to be relaxing and felt as though we were being catered to, which is something we do not feel at WDW. Going back after the cruise we realized just how big the difference in service was. We would definitely do WDW before the cruise everytime.

We've done both before and after on the same cruise, and we prefer both. As above, we get worn out in the parks and relax on the ship, but still look forward to a little more time in the parks to ease ourselves out of the post-cruise withdrawal pains -- which are very real.

Our favorite trip was WDW before our Panama Canal cruise, then DLR after.

Last edited:
We prefer before because we don't go go go after a week of relaxation. We do tend to go afterwards too because my wife doesn't do the transition back to land very well if she just hops in a car and goes north. By walking around the parks (this next trip we're shaking things up by going to Universal instead) at a sedate pace for a day or four she manages to get her land legs back in a smoother fashion. Then we head home. I'm not complaining. I'll find anything to justify extra time in the parks. :D

We go to WDW before the cruise, and do a park and then we go back to WDW after the cruise for a day to relax, and take a later plane home.

We prefer visiting the parks before cruising.

Love, love, love WDW but it is tiring. We sometimes joke that we need a vacation after a vacation there, and by cruising after the parks, we give ourselves the perfect one!

I'm honestly glad we've gotten past the "gotta do it all" stage of WDW visiting. We're at a point now that even if we don't use our Park Hopper one day we just don't stress about it. We've wasted a day here or there by not going to the park, hence forfeiting a day of paid admission. We've gone to Epcot and just wandered around without doing anything or riding any rides. We've gone to the MK and just sat on benches eating junk food and watching the families running around like they have to do everything right *now*. Sometimes we just sit on our Contemporary balcony and watch the day turn to night as the lights go up on the MK. It's nice to be past the "if we don't fill every moment with magic we're wasting our time" stage in our lives. We were there once. Not anymore.

I'm honestly glad we've gotten past the "gotta do it all" stage of WDW visiting. We're at a point now that even if we don't use our Park Hopper one day we just don't stress about it. We've wasted a day here or there by not going to the park, hence forfeiting a day of paid admission. We've gone to Epcot and just wandered around without doing anything or riding any rides. We've gone to the MK and just sat on benches eating junk food and watching the families running around like they have to do everything right *now*. Sometimes we just sit on our Contemporary balcony and watch the day turn to night as the lights go up on the MK. It's nice to be past the "if we don't fill every moment with magic we're wasting our time" stage in our lives. We were there once. Not anymore.
I'm soooo with you. I think a lot of people forget that a vacation is to take time to relax. That's why I a big proponent for "just grab a deck chair on deck 4 and watch the sea go by" when people ask "what's important to do".

Our last cruise, we had a day at Animal Kingdom after debarkation (late flight) and it was nice to just walk around and we only did like 3 rides.

I feel pampered on the cruise vs I feel like it's work at Disney... it's enjoyable for a few days but then after that I want to relax we're doing WDW before

We sailed last week - we did a night before and a night after in WDW, mainly because DD lives in the area and we met her at Port Orleans. We also did that to use Magical Express and the DCL port transfers. We went to Epcot our first day, then caught the bus to the port. The day our cruise ended, we went to DHS for Brown Derby late lunch, rode a few rides, went to mass at the shrine and to late dinner at Morimoto. Sunday we just stayed by the pool until our evening flight. I would definitely do WDW before, not after. After a week of pampering, it's not as much fun to be in the busy parks! (my opinion, of course :-) )

We go to WDW before the cruise, and do a park and then we go back to WDW after the cruise for a day to relax, and take a later plane home.
We wanted to go back to the resorts for the day...do we need to spend the night or can we still take ME from the resort?

We wanted to go back to the resorts for the day...do we need to spend the night or can we still take ME from the resort?
I believe you actually need a resort reservation to take Magical Express. And I'm pretty certain you must have a resort reservation to use the pools at the resorts.

On our first cruise we did Universal before and WDW after. We only did a 4 day cruise, but I think it is the first vacation in my life that I have actually relaxed. Vacation to me is usually go, go, go or I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Relaxing was so great that we are doing a 7 day cruise in October. We are doing just MNSSHP before the cruise and Universal and MVMCP after. We are not doing any days at WDW because unless we can do a lot of days, it has gotten too expensive. We're excited to do Halloween and Christmas in one trip!

I have been looking at the 5-day cruise over the Summer. I was trying to mix in a couple days before and after at WDW. The problem with that is the tickets. It makes it cost-ineffective because the MYW tickets won't span across cruise dates. We are now looking at possibly 2 days at Universal, a 6 days at WDW, then 5 day cruise, followed by a 9 hour drive home.

Our fall break from school falls where we have to do the cruise first and then the parks after. We will just take it leisurely as we go. Maybe walk off some of those cruise calories though!!
It will be tough on the kids not to spend money on all the food they want at the parks though. But I like that the magic won't be over once we get off the ship.

We prefer WDW before as well. I've done it both ways and I have to say I like being able to relax on the cruise after the craziness of a WDW vacation. : D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter