WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

Ok, I guess will agree to disagree then. We aren't talking about policies prior to 30 days before check-in.

The waiving of change fees was done on March 11 before Disney ever announced they were closing. The change to the cancellation policy was made the evening they closed the parks (right after they made the announcement), but the resorts were to remain open.

I was one of those guests that was able to cancel with no penalty within 30 days of check-in even though the resorts remained open for most of my vacation. I canceled a package booking 5 days prior to check-in and got a full refund including my $200 deposit. That's a change in policy.

It also applies to guests who, currently, have package reservations for May and June (which haven't automatically canceled yet). Their package balances aren't due until 7 days prior to check-in now, due to the changes in terms and conditions, and they can cancel up to one day prior to checking in (up until a June 30 check-in), even if the parks and resorts are open at that point. This is completely different than the normal terms and conditions for a WDW package. So, if by .01% of vacationers you mean everyone booked for May and June who can now pay 7 days prior instead of 30 and get a 100% refund 1 day prior to their trip, well, then, ok! It's not misleading, while WDW typically waives the change fee (I'm with you on that one), the balance due date (7 days prior until further notice) and cancellation policy (1-day prior until June 30) are completely different than the normal terms and conditions.
I keep reading that I can pay in full just 7 days before my end of June package, but I can't find that information anywhere on a Disney website. Have you seen it in writing or is it what CM are saying on the phone?
Thanks!

I keep reading that I can pay in full just 7 days before my end of June package, but I can't find that information anywhere on a Disney website. Have you seen it in writing or is it what CM are saying on the phone?
Thanks!

This is the wording on DTA "Effective March 15, 2020, until further notice, we’re making a temporary adjustment to our final payment policy for Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort packages booked through Walt Disney Travel Company. For existing bookings, final payment to WDTC will now be due 7 days prior to Guest arrival. Payment may be made online or by phone. For new package reservations made through DTA, with arrival in less than 30 days, payments will be due in full."

Your best bet is to call them directly and ask about your specific situation.

@mckennarose Yeah for sure, was just curious if you knew if you ended up getting the full refund back or if it was just 95% of what you paid (as opposed to an extra charge). Would be cool to know before going into the call if there's some precedent!

A reminder of the rules of this thread as have been repeated numerous times by TPAS moderators: this is not a park operations prediction/speculation or virus discussion thread. There are countless other corners of the DIS better suited to rumors and speculation.

Here we are tracking official Disney announcements, updates, and resulting ticket/AP/planning implications.

Off topic posts will continue to be removed.

Thank you.

@mckennarose Yeah for sure, was just curious if you knew if you ended up getting the full refund back or if it was just 95% of what you paid (as opposed to an extra charge). Would be cool to know before going into the call if there's some precedent!
I emailed and cancelled my UT tickets last week and was only offered a 95% refund. I was also within my 90 days with hard tickets and had to pay to ship them back.

I emailed and cancelled my UT tickets last week and was only offered a 95% refund. I was also within my 90 days with hard tickets and had to pay to ship them back.

@mavadell when was your trip scheduled for? That's a bit disconcerting to hear. I'm also surprised you had to ship them back, I would think they should be able to disconnect the ticket electronically.

I received the annual pass holder email about an extension date or refund choice. They stated further information to come. I decided to go ahead and call the number they gave and ask questions since it has been a week I think. They gathered my info and then transferred me to the annual pass holders department where I then got a message that said, “ this number is no longer in service, we value your experience and wonder if you would like to complete a one minute survey.” :rotfl2: That got me thinking oh crap...they have already gone out of business!! Lol! Anyway I called back and was routed to the right person. I requested a prorated refund. Our annual passes are up on May 29th. I was told they would process a refund when they open back up. When I asked how I would receive the money back they said it would go back to the original form of payment. I can’t remember what credit card I used and recently had fraud occur on a card so it was reported stolen and I have a new card. So, I thought I read up thread someone mentioned a Disney gift card they received I think for a annual pass refund ( maybe there’s already expired). Does anyone know how you would get the refund back if you don’t have the card you charged it to anymore? I am hoping I don’t get a Disney gift card.

I received the annual pass holder email about an extension date or refund choice. They stated further information to come. I decided to go ahead and call the number they gave and ask questions since it has been a week I think. They gathered my info and then transferred me to the annual pass holders department where I then got a message that said, “ this number is no longer in service, we value your experience and wonder if you would like to complete a one minute survey.” :rotfl2: That got me thinking oh crap...they have already gone out of business!! Lol! Anyway I called back and was routed to the right person. I requested a prorated refund. Our annual passes are up on May 29th. I was told they would process a refund when they open back up. When I asked how I would receive the money back they said it would go back to the original form of payment. I can’t remember what credit card I used and recently had fraud occur on a card so it was reported stolen and I have a new card. So, I thought I read up thread someone mentioned a Disney gift card they received I think for a annual pass refund. Does anyone know how you would get the refund back if you don’t have the card you charged it to anymore? I hoping I don’t get a Disney gift card.

My father had the same thing happened to him (the fraud and the need to refund something). They refunded on the deactivated card and he had to contact his card company to have the amount transferred to the new card.

I received the annual pass holder email about an extension date or refund choice. They stated further information to come. I decided to go ahead and call the number they gave and ask questions since it has been a week I think. They gathered my info and then transferred me to the annual pass holders department where I then got a message that said, “ this number is no longer in service, we value your experience and wonder if you would like to complete a one minute survey.” :rotfl2: That got me thinking oh crap...they have already gone out of business!! Lol! Anyway I called back and was routed to the right person. I requested a prorated refund. Our annual passes are up on May 29th. I was told they would process a refund when they open back up. When I asked how I would receive the money back they said it would go back to the original form of payment. I can’t remember what credit card I used and recently had fraud occur on a card so it was reported stolen and I have a new card. So, I thought I read up thread someone mentioned a Disney gift card they received I think for a annual pass refund ( maybe there’s already expired). Does anyone know how you would get the refund back if you don’t have the card you charged it to anymore? I am hoping I don’t get a Disney gift card.
Can I ask how much refund you received? Mine expires exactly one month before that.

Can I ask how much refund you received? Mine expires exactly one month before that.

She didn’t tell me and I really couldn’t ask because they could open before the end of May so maybe they would only give back the portion when they are actually closed. I did some really rough math and figured maybe we would get about 800 back. Four people at 10.90 a day for around 73 days. Honestly, I don’t remember how much the tickets were then; maybe 900 or so a piece. All rough math or wishful thinking :p

Does anyone have info on group trips through Disney or know where I can ask? Our school was scheduled for late March and we were told by the travel agent that the Disney office that handles ticket refunds is closed. They were hard tickets that had to be sent back, I believe. The kids also had onsite hotel reservations. Parents are getting upset.

Does anyone have info on group trips through Disney or know where I can ask? Our school was scheduled for late March and we were told by the travel agent that the Disney office that handles ticket refunds is closed. They were hard tickets that had to be sent back, I believe. The kids also had onsite hotel reservations. Parents are getting upset.
If 407 939-5277 can't help, email wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Is there a reason you think the travel company is lying to you? Believe me, they would LOVE to get a refund on those tickets, and give it to you, but the group travel department at Disney is closed. Please be patient. These companies are doing everything they can to help their clients, in the hope of surviving this crisis.

I still don't understand. Is there an option to take the refund and the extension or is it either or?

Is there a reason you think the travel company is lying to you? Believe me, they would LOVE to get a refund on those tickets, and give it to you, but the group travel department at Disney is closed. Please be patient. These companies are doing everything they can to help their clients, in the hope of surviving this crisis.
Am I missing something? Why do you think the OP thinks "they're" lying to her? OP just seemed to be asking if anyone had more information in a situation that I'm sure is frustrating on many different levels. It wouldn't be the first time someone has asked for more information and didn't rely solely on what a stranger, TA, or even CM for that matter told them. I think most would try to gain more information.

I just saw a post on another thread that on Trip Advisor the Disney hotels are listed as closed until July 31, 2020. I went on and checked a couple of them (OKW, CR, ASM, AKL, POR) and it says "this business is closed until 7/31/20". Interestingly, Swan and Dolphin don't have the same note. It will let me go through and make a booking before July 31... at least as far as I can get without paying.

Was there an announcement from Disney about the closure lasting until July 31 that I missed?
Disney is still showing an apparent opening May 3rd on the HUB
On the website they have rates for rooms starting in June

Last edited:
I still don't understand. Is there an option to take the refund and the extension or is it either or?
for AP? you have to call and they will make a note on your account
I do the monthly payments and I chose to not get the March refund payment and have them extend the AP whenever they know the number of days

What's the HUB? I just tried to book a vacation starting May 3 (just to see what happened) and there's no availability at any resort.

The HUB is the internal communication for cast members. Disney is currently NOT taking reservations for May (I would assume if they do open it's to keep the numbers low and if they don't open it's fewer people that would have to be accommodated)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter