WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

We have a MK After Hours night / one night at hotel planned for our newly blended family of 8 set for April 5. I went ahead and booked hotel night for May 18 to ensure availability in case the closure is extended. Disney is always so good about tickets - hoping they will swap our 4/5 After Hours tickets for 5/18 After Hours tickets if/when the closure is extended. Like everyone, we so love Disney - I am looking forward to me, my husband and our six children together being able to enjoy the park! I'm probably in the minority (and I want everyone to be safe), but I would love it if by some miracle we get to go in April (when it is a bit cooler and works better with school/spring break) as planned. Also booked an Ohana breakfast the next morning for both trips (will cancel the May one if/as soon as I know April trip is a go... I hate to keep someone else from booking a breakfast until that point :( )

Our 7-day tickets now say valid March 22 to December 15, 2020 in MDE. We have re-scheduled out March 22 trip for a week in October 2020. Will we need to select a start date for the tickets before selecting fastpasses at 60 days out and before using the tickets for park entrance?

Will we need to select a start date for the tickets before selecting fastpasses at 60 days out and before using the tickets for park entrance?
As far as we know... yes.

We fly out on the 10th too. I hope they announce a definite "closed through..." date soon so I can make my call. I'm the ringleader of a trip for 13 people, planning it was work already, canceling it will be more work and also depressing. Does anyone have thoughts of when they expect Disney to announce dates based on the CDC recommendation?

I'm so curious about this, too. Our dates are 5/5-5/10 - I'm worried about moving it to later in May and not being to get any dining reservations/fastpasses. This trip is a surprise for our kids because we had a really rough year in 2019 and it's making me so sad that it probably won't happen.

We fly out on the 10th too. I hope they announce a definite "closed through..." date soon so I can make my call. I'm the ringleader of a trip for 13 people, planning it was work already, canceling it will be more work and also depressing. Does anyone have thoughts of when they expect Disney to announce dates based on the CDC recommendation?

I arrive on May 10th as well, and the uncertainty is incredibly frustrating. I know the CDC said 8 weeks of no large gatherings, which means May 10th, and that could be the day they re-open. It's hard for me to imagine them staying closed on through the summer or anything...life has to go on at some point, and people are going to begin to really hurt before too long. But boy, if they do re-open on May 10th...I bet it will be pandemonium for our trip! Ugghhh....

I arrive on May 10th as well, and the uncertainty is incredibly frustrating. I know the CDC said 8 weeks of no large gatherings, which means May 10th, and that could be the day they re-open. It's hard for me to imagine them staying closed on through the summer or anything...life has to go on at some point, and people are going to begin to really hurt before too long. But boy, if they do re-open on May 10th...I bet it will be pandemonium for our trip! Ugghhh....
We've got a trip that is supposed to start May 11, so I'll be waiting along with you. I read an article that Josh posted about the shut-down, and he predicts a slower couple of weeks right after they open back up (and then a busy summer and fall). Plus, most schools will still be in session, so, hopefully, our trips will happen, and maybe not be too crazy. Either way, I can't think of a better place to celebrate getting pass all this madness!

Some threads say Disney will most likely cancel weeks like 2 weeks at a time so as to not overwhelm the phone CM’s so I don't expect them to announce an actual re-open date anytime soon.

We have a trip planned for end of may and wanted to visit WDW and DL, so a really great vacation. At the moment I just wait and see. But living in Germany and getting new restriction everyday, like most shops closed, borders closed and people advices to stay at home if possible, I'm getting a little bit scared. I'm not in the risk group and have a good job which I can not loose and live in the country with a lot of beautiful nature, but it feels so unreal. I hope we all get through this hard times and can look for future disney experiences. Stay save everyone, all the best for you and "see ya all real soon".

We have a trip planned for end of may and wanted to visit WDW and DL, so a really great vacation. At the moment I just wait and see. But living in Germany and getting new restriction everyday, like most shops closed, borders closed and people advices to stay at home if possible, I'm getting a little bit scared. I'm not in the risk group and have a good job which I can not loose and live in the country with a lot of beautiful nature, but it feels so unreal. I hope we all get through this hard times and can look for future disney experiences. Stay save everyone, all the best for you and "see ya all real soon".

As a fellow German who is supposed to fly out on April 23 all I can do is wait and see....With the US travel ban, our own travel restrictions and the fact that Lufthansa is canceling 70% of the flights I might have to look into other options, soon.

Is it the general consensus that closures will keep getting extended and as many things as possible will be closed until a vaccine is made?

Crazy how a matter of a few short days has changed my mood from a cautious optimism to just disappointment (even though it hasn't closed through the end of april yet). I said a lot of what has happened would be an impossibility because it has never happened to this level.

Didn't expect every restaurant, bar, gym to shut down in my area just like that yesterday, who'd have thunk we'd be having the kentucky derby in september, which means the preakness in my area will likely held in mid-late september if they follow those rules.

Starting the plans for a future trip, getting reservations in place for just in case, sucks but feels like the responsible thing to do.

Doing my daily check of Disney's operational information page. Other than changing some of the tense of various things, the only material re-wording was to the Resort Room & Packages section (although nothing particularly "new" in the information). No other changes have been made to theme park operations information.

Resort Rooms and Packages
Guests who have not checked in for stays between March 16, 2020 through March 31, 2020 may modify or cancel their Disney Resort room reservation or Walt Disney Travel Company package up to their original check-in date. If no action is taken and Guests have not checked in, Disney will automatically process a refund to the original form of payment within 7 days of the original check-in date. If you did not book through Disney directly, please contact your travel professional.

We will waive all Disney-imposed change and cancellation fees up to the date of check-in through June 30, 2020.

Note: Refunded amounts for Walt Disney Travel Company packages will be less cancellation fees imposed by 3rd-party suppliers, including airlines, rentals cars and 3rd-party hotels, as well as non-refundable products like travel protection plans.

Guests can call (407) 939-5277 to reschedule reservations with arrivals of March 20 through March 31 to a future date. To provide additional flexibility, we are waiving all Disney-imposed change and cancellation fees up to the date of check-in for reservations with arrivals through June 30, 2020.

On Friday, March 20 at 5:00 PM, we will automatically cancel reservations of Walt Disney Travel Company Disney Resort hotel packages and Disney Resort hotel room-only reservations booked directly through Disney, for arrivals March 20 through 31.

We will also process a refund to the original form of payment if a payment had been made. If you did not book through Disney directly, please contact your travel professional. Please note that cancellation fees imposed by third-party suppliers, including airlines and rentals cars, as well as non-refundable products like travel protection plans, are deducted from refundable amounts for Walt Disney Travel Company packages.

Not really. We are DVC members so there's really not much availability until October and we already have a 2 week trip to New Zealand planned for November so going back to back isn't really going to work for us.

If I knew for certain I could just hold the credit until 2021 I would be ok but I fear that they are open and I don't have the option to take it as a credit.
They have said all along that you can use the tickets until 12/15 or keep the ticket value as a credit for dates beyond 12/15, so you would just have to pay ticket increase difference if you did get stuck until 2021

Is it the general consensus that closures will keep getting extended and as many things as possible will be closed until a vaccine is made?

I posted the following in another post - but most of it works here.

The fallout of this closure will affect EVERYONE who currently has plans or is only only thinking about going to WDW in the near future.

First off, when WDW does reopen - I have a feeling it will be a limited opening with just 1 or possibly 2 parks, and not all resorts and restaurants open. The staffing levels needed to reopen everything is just not there anymore. It would take a while to ramp up to a point where all 4 parks, restaurants and resorts, as well as places in Disney Springs, are open. However, unless there's a miracle, any place that reopens this year while we are still (1) waiting for a working vaccine and (2) have actually enough vaccine to inoculate everyone and (3) people have actually been vaccinated - I think there will be mandatory measures in place that somehow restrict access to rides and crowding in general. That means no parades and nighttime fireworks and standing in lines for rides - you would be required to have a FP+ to get on a ride. Current crowds levels in the parks would need to be handled, so the levels needed to cause the various stages of parks closures in the past could be drastically reduced. They could also totally restrict the parks to ONLY resort guests.

Now on the opposite end of such draconian measures, say none of the above happens. Anyone with current plans for WDW are still affected by the closures because there are many folks that are now planning to go to WDW during your trip that weren't before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter