WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

I can't see how masks could be worn full time anyway. You have people eating at tables, walking down the street with popcorn or an ice cream bar. And I know occasionally, I have to pull off my mask at work just to get a breath and I work in healthcare. It will be interesting to see how it goes.
The mask discussion is being done over on the news and rumors forum

Disneyland pushing back reservations to July 1. Maybe good news for WDW since no announcement yet?: https://www.ocregister.com/2020/05/06/disneyland-resort-hotels-push-back-reservations-until-july/
Hmmm...I don't know, I want to be hopeful, but they were also first to announce initial closure...WDW soon followed. I will say while I'm sure Dland would be easier logistically to open; I do feel because it's in CA it looks to be after FL, just due to restrictions,however I'm not sure how much of that is just my biased hopes lol.

Cali has been taking this a lot more seriously than Florida since day one. It will either open later, or they'll delay to have the two parks open at the same time. I can't see them doing anything else.

Is Disneyland canceling reservations made for June as yet? It's possible they still are aiming at a sometime-in-June open, but have enough reservations made (reschedules from March-April) to forecast filling their hotels to the 25 or 50% capacity they'll be able to operate at in June, and so are pushing new reservations off to later.

Yes, I’m just hoping if they do go to a reservation system they think about that instead of just locking in those with date based tickets first and then going from there. It’s all very complicated and I don’t envy Disney at all with these decisions but I wish they would be more forth coming with what they are planning to do so we can either adjust our plans or move on ☹
I think that we will see some of the same general modifications from Shanghai Disney at WDW, such as increased sanitation, increased CM training, distancing and spacing in the attractions, distancing from characters, touchless services/mobile ordering, virtual queues for select attractions, masks (either required or encouraged), and decreased capacity.

I do wonder if they will go the "reservations" and date-based ticket route, though. Chapek was very clear on the call that the opening procedure for Shanghai may be different than what they do in other parks, because of the unique nature of Disney Shanghai. They only have one onsite hotel and they do not offer advance FPs, so it is much harder to determine who will show up at Disney Shanghai than at WDW, so it makes a lot of sense they are requiring either a date-based ticket, or an AP with reservation.

But, WDW is a different beast. They have multiple onsite hotels, and they offer advance FPs. They know who is planning to show up at WDW, and even what park they may visit (through FPs, ADRs and other reservations). So, to me, requiring separate reservations for APs seems a bit redundant. Unless they really want to tighten down who is able to come in.

All of that is to say, I think WDW resort guests and good neighbor/Disney Springs hotel guests will be allowed into the parks without any additional reservations. They may require APs to make a reservation if they are not staying onsite, if they really want to control things. But, I don't see them taking the same steps they are taking in Shanghai. I mean, they literally just extended the date-based tickets that were valid during the closing to flex tickets through mid-December.

Last edited:
Is Disneyland canceling reservations made for June as yet? It's possible they still are aiming at a sometime-in-June open, but have enough reservations made (reschedules from March-April) to forecast filling their hotels to the 25 or 50% capacity they'll be able to operate at in June, and so are pushing new reservations off to later.
It doesn't sound like they're canceling yet...that I've seen; but WDW didn't cancel Mays reservations until a few weeks before each week. If I had a trip planned to Dland in June; I could probably convince myself that there was a 15% chance that they're just not allowing any new to limit capacity, but in reality I don't think there's much of a chance of Dland opening in early June.

I don't know if they are actively canceling June reservations but, as of last night, Disneyland hotels are now only accepting reservations starting July 1st.

Something to watch out for today is if they wipe the park hours for Sunday 5/24 through Saturday 5/30, or possibly Sunday 5/31 from the park calendar. The resort closure e-mails that went out yesterday tacked on an extra day to go through 5/31, so seems possible the park calendar will follow suit and that will 'close the books' on May.

This is all generally a given at this point anyway, just something to watch for more than anything.

The park calendar update has been happening in the early afternoon the past few Thursdays, FWIW.

Zero risk on a plane is a bit optimistic. Consider if someone didn't wash their hands well or rubbed their eyes and then touched the above seat luggage compartment doors or the bathroom doors and then say you touched them and inadvertantly touched your face before washing your hands....

Also, you are likely better to wash your hands before and after every ride than to wear gloves. People don't realize that gloves should be single use which means they would be thrown away after every ride. In medical settings they should be thrown away between each patient and a new pair donned. They do not replace handwashing - proper handwashing still needs to be done as well. For Disney rides I think that would be a lot of gloves and a lot of waste when good handwashing would do. To don and doff the same pair of gloves repeatedly just spreads germs.
American and Delta have already issued a statement that guests are required to wear a mask in the gate area and on the plane (children 12 and under are exempt per the CDC guidelines). They have also issued a notice that the plans will be fog sanitized between flights. The other precaution is that they are reducing the number of people on the planes by not making the middle seats available. I think they will likely be one of the more cautious places to be.

Something to watch out for today is if they wipe the park hours for Sunday 5/24 through Saturday 5/30, or possibly Sunday 5/31 from the park calendar. The resort closure e-mails that went out yesterday tacked on an extra day to go through 5/31, so seems possible the park calendar will follow suit and that will 'close the books' on May.

This is all generally a given at this point anyway, just something to watch for more than anything.

The park calendar update has been happening in the early afternoon the past few Thursdays, FWIW.
I don't want to give up yet on our June 19-23 trip, but now I am wondering-People who get a WDW email canceling their reservations, is it for the hotel, special activities, dining reservations, tickets, the works? Are they given options for rebooking with free dining in this cancelation email? Will they honor the tickets, memory maker, previous price of the hotel? Just what happens when Disney cancels-

I don't want to give up yet on our June 19-23 trip, but now I am wondering-People who get a WDW email canceling their reservations, is it for the hotel, special activities, dining reservations, tickets, the works? Are they given options for rebooking with free dining in this cancelation email? Will they honor the tickets, memory maker, previous price of the hotel? Just what happens when Disney cancels-

The email says that your stay occurs during a closure period and will be cancelled by check in if you don't cancel it yourself. I had booked a package and when I clicked the cancel button, it told me there was a special offer for which I was eligible. I'm pregnant and due early September so the free dining offer wouldn't work for me. I might have been able to pull off a mid June trip, but there were too many uncertainties and since it's not a non stop flight for me, there would be too many disease vectors. They cancelled all my dining reservations once the park hours were adjusted.

People who get a WDW email canceling their reservations, is it for the hotel, special activities, dining reservations, tickets, the works?
  • People who booked packages have the whole package cancelled (resort+tickets+dining if applicable).
  • People who booked room-only have the room cancelled.
  • Tickets purchased separate from a package remain intact but will be automatically extended through Dec. 15, 2020. If you need to modify tickets to after mid-December, you will need to pay the difference for the new dates.
  • ADRs and other extras are automatically cancelling.
  • Guests with reservations through May 31st have been eligible for the special Free Dining offer. At this point, nobody knows what may be offered if June dates get canceled or other limitations are put into place - the current special offer may simply be extended or it may change. Resort pricing does not carry forward.

The guest recovery FD promo does not apply, as of yet, to guests booked in June. If they start canceling June, perhaps, we will see an extension of the promo, but we'll just have to wait to see if they make any announcements. If you purchased your tickets separately, they have extended the date any date-based tickets affected by the closure to Dec. 15. If the tickets were part of a package, they would just remain part of your package if you modify your dates (and choose to still include tickets). Same with memory maker. They are not honoring the previous price of the hotel. Hotel rates will be based on prevailing rates for the new dates you choose.

• Guests with reservations through May 31st have been eligible for the special Free Dining offer. At this point, nobody knows what may be offered if June dates get canceled or other limitations are put into place - the current special offer may simply be extended or it may change. Resort pricing does not carry forward.
was the free dining offered for people without tickets with room only?

Disneyland Paris cancels reservations through July 14th. 2 other park announcements in 2 days...

https://blogmickey.com/2020/05/disneyland-paris-cancels-reservations-through-july-14th/
There we go, a way for people to get the same price they were going to pay.
I never thought it was fair to tell people they owed a higher amount when they already booked and paid for a product.

what do you mean “2 other park announcements in 2 days”?
do you mean Shanghai and this one or do you mean within the next two days we are suppose to get two more announcements?

There we go, a way for people to get the same price they were going to pay.
I never thought it was fair to tell people they owed a higher amount when they already booked and paid for a product.

what do you mean “2 other park announcements in 2 days”?
do you mean Shanghai and this one or do you mean within the next two days we are suppose to get two more announcements?
Call was 3 days ago, Disneyland yesterday and Paris today. I forgot about Shanghai. So that is 3 days, 3 park announcements?

Yes, it is available to anyone who had a resort reservation from March 16 through May 31, 2020.

That’s interesting, I had a room-only reservation starting May 3rd and when I cancelled and asked about Free Dining they said that was only for packages with tickets. (We have separate tickets already purchased) I wonder if I should call and ask again for our rescheduled trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter