WDW Trip in an EV (Tesla)

ForceofWill

Mouseketeer
Getting ready to leave for our split WDW/Universal trip and it's the first time we're going to do it in the Tesla. Myself, Wife and Sons 8 and 3. We'll be driving down from Chesapeake, VA to Sheraton Vistana for the WDW portion of our stay. Figured that I would try and catalog stuff on the trip since there's not a ton of EV WDW stuff recently but they're becoming more popular. I'll try and update the thread throughout our stay with stuff that ends up being a pain, things that worked etc.

We decided to leave tonight at 10pm for our check-in tomorrow, Monday 28JUN21. Estimating between 12-14 hours which is more than what Google Maps would suggest for a gas vehicle but actually pretty close to what we average real world with two small children since we have to stop so much. I'm really hoping doing the majority of the driving over night will eliminate major traffic jams which drive me nuts.

If you all have anything specific you'd like me to check out relating to EV's/Tesla's I'll do my best to look into them. Wish us luck!

For reference, it's a Model 3 and I think we've about maxed the space available lol. Wife brought two of the big size suitcases, one carryon size and the stroller in the trunk and that's about it for space. I have my one gym duffel bag in the front trunk, then the kids have another carry on in the back seat with toys and stuff they wanted(of course).

Attachments

• 20210627_193845.jpg
    20210627_193845.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210627_194248.jpg
    20210627_194248.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210627_194307.jpg
    20210627_194307.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210627_194327.jpg
    20210627_194327.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Google maps shows the distance between Chesapeake, VA and WDW to be just shy of 800 miles. I'm curious what the range is for your Tesla and how many times you'll need to charge it along the way. Are there enough charging stations on I-95 and at the hotel once you get there?

Google maps shows the distance between Chesapeake, VA and WDW to be just shy of 800 miles. I'm curious what the range is for your Tesla and how many times you'll need to charge it along the way. Are there enough charging stations on I-95 and at the hotel once you get there?

I have the performance so the range is somewhere north of 200 miles. I have wider wheels/tires so it's less than stock. There are plenty of available superchargers along 95 to use. Right now it's showing 6 stops, I'll definitely fill up more at the last charger so I arrive with more battery. Supposedly Vistana says they have 2 EV chargers. I'll check out what they are and report back.

Attachments

• WDW Route.jpg
    WDW Route.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 15
Getting ready to leave for our split WDW/Universal trip and it's the first time we're going to do it in the Tesla. Myself, Wife and Sons 8 and 3. We'll be driving down from Chesapeake, VA to Sheraton Vistana for the WDW portion of our stay. Figured that I would try and catalog stuff on the trip since there's not a ton of EV WDW stuff recently but they're becoming more popular. I'll try and update the thread throughout our stay with stuff that ends up being a pain, things that worked etc.

We decided to leave tonight at 10pm for our check-in tomorrow, Monday 28JUN21. Estimating between 12-14 hours which is more than what Google Maps would suggest for a gas vehicle but actually pretty close to what we average real world with two small children since we have to stop so much. I'm really hoping doing the majority of the driving over night will eliminate major traffic jams which drive me nuts.

If you all have anything specific you'd like me to check out relating to EV's/Tesla's I'll do my best to look into them. Wish us luck!

For reference, it's a Model 3 and I think we've about maxed the space available lol. Wife brought two of the big size suitcases, one carryon size and the stroller in the trunk and that's about it for space. I have my one gym duffel bag in the front trunk, then the kids have another carry on in the back seat with toys and stuff they wanted(of course).

Have a great trip! My family will soon be on the road from NJ with our Model 3 for the very first time, but not our first road trip to WDW. I hope the trip will be less stressful due to the frequent break that we will take.
Looking forward to read your report!

Left at 9pm last night, got here around 1045 this morning. Waiting on room to be ready at Vistana. They have 2 EV chargers by the welcome center. One is broken and the other is very slow, but they are free.

Got to Disney springs about 1130 to eat and kill some time. Top of orange garage only 1 charge point is open right by elevators. Others are blocked off with cones and tape. My car is in the one spot currently, it's slower than my lvl2 charger at home and you have to pay but at least it's something.

Didn't have a reservation for today but we walked up to boathouse at 1145 and immediately got a table for walk in. Score, about to enjoy some food!

So the charge point on top of the orange garage in springs added about 9-10% battery in 1hr50min and cost $3.70. I think if you can get it, it's fine for a supplemental charge but if you're driving a lot you're probably gonna have to hit the superchargers. Tomorrow is first park day so I'll report back on what the situation is in the DHS parking lot.

Today is Walmart for supplies, Boathouse and Winebar George and resort pool day to relax. I was running on no sleep yesterday.

At the DHS parking gates at about 0803, paid and went to where the parking attendants are, they let me in the EV spots. There's only 4 and there was another Tesla in one. I snagged one and they're literally right in the front lol, it's great.

The main question I always had was would they charge you to park when you were done charging and it says the parking fee is $0. I was still charging when we left at 11ish to grab lunch but it should be free if you stop charging which is nice. All the spots were taken when I left.

Came to springs for lunch, 2 spots on top of lime garage open. We'll be going to Epcot later for our hoppers and I'll report back.

Attachments

• 20210630_111503.jpg
    20210630_111503.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 22

Magic Kingdom - You must follow the Handicap parking to the right, the EV spots are at the end, there's 5, at least one is broke but again, it's free even not to charge. Don't do what I did and follow normal parking then get to the lot, have to LEAVE the park, turn around, wait in the line at the gate again for 25 mins lol.

Also, I'm noticing a trend where some *insert expletives take the spots and don't even plug in, just so they get the close spot. Yesterday at Epcot I could have really used charge but all the spots were full with no one even plugged in.

The EV parking perk looks awesome! Every time we walk past those close spots I think we need an EV next time 😆

Really enjoy reading this thread. We left North NJ Wednesday night with our Tesla Model 3 long range, and just finished our first leg of the trip. Everything went as well as what I could have hopped. I am amazed by the amount of storage space this car provides. But the only complain about Tesla is the seat cushions. Oh man, my derrière hurt after 2 hours of sitting.

DHS this morning at parking gates 0756, maybe 20 cars back. First and only to EV in the spots. Love DHS parking, it's 5 seconds from the security check.

Just checked in to Portofino Bay. In the self park garage, level 2, take your fist left. There are 3 charging spots down there. 2 are Tesla wall chargers and 1 is a third party one. They're all free but have a sign for 4 hour maximum. Very nice surprise to get a free Tesla charger.

Just checked in to Portofino Bay. In the self park garage, level 2, take your fist left. There are 3 charging spots down there. 2 are Tesla wall chargers and 1 is a third party one. They're all free but have a sign for 4 hour maximum. Very nice surprise to get a free Tesla charger.
That’s so nice for UO to offer free Tesla charging at their deluxe resorts.
Vacationing at Universal Orlando is definitely way more attractive than a trip to WDW nowadays.

man, this is helpful! We'll be staying in Portofino Bay and I was having trouble finding any specific info online. Thanks for posting this. Still a little stunned that these monstrous resorts have so few chargers for everyone. I guess as long as it's meeting demand, which it sounds like it is.

Owning a Tesla does strange things to you, like considering driving over flying... We are going in November and I am strongly leaning towards driving from PA. I was thinking short, more frequent charging stops, since the charge rate is faster at the lower end of the battery. It will be a learning experience, and an adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter