• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Vet's 1st Trip to DL & U

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
This was part of my family's (self, DH & DS 15) first trip out to the west.

I've completed mini-TRs thus far for:

Vegas (Planet Hollywood)
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1907329

Hoover Dam
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1908439

Grand Canyon (Thunderbird Lodge on site) &
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1953000

Vegas (Luxor)
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1963855

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1963892
After enjoying the 2 nights @ the Luxor, while sad to leave; we were excited to finally board the plane to SNA & get to see DL:banana: . Very short flight from Vegas, and a wonderful terminal in SNA to navigate. Quickly met by our driver & within a half hour pulling up to the DLH

Beautiful mural in lobby, DS looked startled by Mickey

dltrip373.jpg

hotel room wasn't ready & we had booked a convention rate, which was bascially run-of the house aka as whatever is leftover lol. i was surprised to be told we'd be in the main bldg & asked whether i wanted 2 dbl beds facing the fireworks or 2 Qs, poolview...probably would've gone with the FW view, except DH & I have been married to long to enjoy a double bed;) . We stowed our luggage & headed to DL!

Amazing that #1) u could walk & #2) it was so close.

I was concerned that arriving near 11 am on the Saturday before the 4th of July it'd be terribly crowded...it was the best day 'crowd-wise' and we were able to ride nearly everything we wanted by 6 pm! Which convinced me to agree to take a bus tour to Universal that DS had been lobbying for later in the week.:teacher:

High points of the week:
1) Space Mt, hard to believe they could improve the WDW version:cool1:

2) Indy - what can i say...WDW PLEASE yank Dinosaur & install this!!!!!

3) Billy Hill - not a country fan, yet this was charming

4) Alice in Wonderland :goodvibes

5) Mr Toad, DS was floored as to the ending;)

6) Nemo, was cute...just such a long line; glad family got to check out the subs

7) POC

8) Blue Bayou

I won't presume to give a detailed narrative (being a newbie) here, moreso will list my impressions and do a pictoral report

Main Street, yes the castle does have a low profile, yet it is lovely

dltrip375.jpg

Matterhorn, which i must say i didn't make my fav list...appreciate it's historical importance etc, just didn't like the bumpy ride or seating issues (DS not thrilled to sit in my lap:rolleyes: ); yet it was interesting
dltrip376.jpg

Into Adventureland (Indy is calling...too bad it was down:eek: ,
will try back later), off to jungle cruise...another winner! Laid out differently, longer & great foilage, etc.
dltrip378.jpg

dltrip380.jpg

dltrip390.jpg

dltrip392.jpg

decided to ride POC & HM, before heading to lunch; on the way we saw Indy defeating a bad guy, later he was in treehouse too! DL def. has the edge as to having impromptu shows/charactars (who REALLY do a good job, that is entertainment:thumbsup2 )

dltrip397.jpg

dltrip396.jpg

POC was another personal fav, luv the longer more detailed ride & the charactars painted in the entry...sure looking forward to lunch here tomorrow
dltrip398.jpg

HM, was another visual treat, so different from WDWs version...made sure to ride thru several times during the week to try & pick out all the differences. An off note were the 'screamers' here @ inappropriate times:confused3
dltrip399.jpg

DS reminded me lunch time was fast approaching, so we decided to eat @ the CS place near Splash Mt. (country bear? sorry, cannot remember the name). First grabbing a FP for Splsh Mt. It was crowded, thank to hints here; we went to lower level & picked a table by the water & deposited DS & our stuff. Was able to use DVC discount here (and everywhere else it was honored, although the mgr usually had to instruct CM...assume it will go more smoothly once more become aware of it). The burgers were decent and we appreciated the cool shaded spot & being able to watch the boats glide by...laughingly we discovered there was a ramp instead of the steps that would've made navigating with the trays easier.
We didn't bother w/many FPs this day, most rides had 10 min wait:banana: , although our time was due for Splsh mt after riding pooh. We enjoyed it, yet liked the WDW version better.

We worked our way back to Indy (re-riding HM & POC!), got FP for Indy for early evening

Next onto BTM, which was def a different version than the WDW one...i give it a slight nod over WDW version even though it seemed shorter:confused3

We then worked our way thru Peter Pan & Alice, sadly Mr. Toad had a huge line...on the list though!

Matterhorn was conquered;) , Nemo line just too long to consider; so we went to tomorrowland & got FP for SpaceMt. Had fun riding Stitch, & Buzz several times (took awhile to get used to the different guns), soon time for Space Mt....i cannot believe how FAST it was:woohoo: excellent. Luved how the riders sat side-by-side too!

After another ride on Buzz, our FP time was due for Indy!!!! Really one of the absolute best rides! even the wait line was impressive. While i know that the dinosaur ride & it r on the same platform, D seems so much rougher and def. not as interesting...I LUV THIS RIDE

Decided to depart for hotel to check out our room, waited in line for the monorail...didn't realize how long it took to board...nearly an hour.

DL is definitely on my bucket list. Someday. Someday.

So, I'm not sure if I understand. Did you like the Indy ride? ;)

I love the pictures. Tell us more! Tell us more!

however did u guess?:) Indy is the man:banana:

Back to the DLH & our room, right next to the elevators, yet didn't hear a thing:thumbsup2 . Must say that all hotel staff was excellent, including mousekeeping which could show the staff @ WDW a thing or two:rolleyes: ; everything was immaculate

the view

a small walk out only balcony, approx a foot-1/2?

dltrip417.jpg

main pool, w/skull rock (lit up @ night) waterslide to the left
dltrip424.jpg

looking towards DTD
dltrip412.jpg

dltrip403.jpg

dltrip416.jpg

luv the whole retro feel, hard to believe the hotel is circa 1955, so well maintained

credenza, map of DL
dltrip408.jpg

dltrip410.jpg

dltrip407.jpg

I'm here too!

I think I need to see more pictures!! Just can't get a 'feel' for DL. ;)

It's on my list of places to go someday too.... :goodvibes

Looking forward to more...as usual.

oh, and w/ the room, I woulda got a rollaway and taken the fireworks view :teeth:

bathroom was smallish, yet well designed

vanity w/coffee pot that was kept amply stocked!

dltrip404.jpg

sink, note the sconces; DH caught me eyeing them up & said 'no way' lol

dltrip405.jpg

tried to get the wallpaper charactars...so cute, such attention to detail made the room special
dltrip419.jpg

lithos
dltrip537.jpg

dltrip536.jpg

family tired, we enjoyed a quick dip in the pool, quick snack & soon the boys tucked in their beds.
dltrip535.jpg

i couldn't wait to turn the lights off...(sorry for the quality, best i could capture:confused3 )

dltrip539.jpg

dltrip538.jpg

Oh Janet I am so glad you finally got to DL. Thank you!

Indy is amazing! Dinosaur doesn't even come close to comparing.

Indy, is a GREAT ride, huh!!!!

Except never ride it was a full bladder. :rolleyes1

makes me sad to think i may never get the chance to ride it again

disneyland is a very special place, so glad we were able to swing out to see it:banana:

hey guys, u know i've just got tons of pics;)

barb - i was tempted, yet he had slept on one @ GC that his feet hung off:rolleyes: & the poolscape @ night was dreamy...we just walked down to the front of hotel to watch a couple of nights

tricia - im sure u'll get there, it'll wait for u:)

Indy, is a GREAT ride, huh!!!!

Except never ride it was a full bladder. :rolleyes1

Oh Janet I am so glad you finally got to DL. Thank you!

Indy is amazing! Dinosaur doesn't even come close to comparing.

:guilty: im such a procrastinator re TRs, sounds dopey;) ; yet i almost hate to finish them...means the trip is over kwim?

Dinosaur really beats my back up:confused3 i've taken to skipping it, yet Indy didn't bother me @ all....not sure if it was because the storyline was so interesting & was concentrating more on it than tensing up:confused:

anyway, more to come soon.

i like the sconces :rolleyes1

:thumbsup2

seriously tho....room is beautiful...does the Tink glow in the dark?

i like the sconces :rolleyes1

:thumbsup2

seriously tho....room is beautiful...does the Tink glow in the dark?

yes, yet another thoughtful touch (pixie dust & all;) )

not sure if you can see the bath products (cute w/mickey ears)...i tipped well & asked for extra coffee in a note (same as i do anywhere) & expect one or 2 extra goodies. Here mousekeeping really hooked me up:thumbsup2 , was worried all the extra's would put my suitcase over the weight limit:laughing:

Upon closer inspection...I notice them now :goodvibes No doubt you asked for more...what was this hotel again? I'm thinking it's more 'Disney' themed than some of the nicer hotels at Disney in Florida :rolleyes:

Upon closer inspection...I notice them now :goodvibes No doubt you asked for more...what was this hotel again? I'm thinking it's more 'Disney' themed than some of the nicer hotels at Disney in Florida :rolleyes:

i agree, they could learn a trick or two from this 'vintage' hotel (it's well-seasoned...like me:lmao: ), what was nice is while it certainly had disneyana in every nook & cranny, it was tastefully done...hat's off to the management :yay: @

The Disneyland Hotel:goodvibes

they just don't make them like that anymore, yet the peek i got of the DVC unit that will be in the Grand Californian is a step in the right direction:thumbsup2 , Craftsman infuence top notch materials, etc.

nope....just lil ole me askin' a question :teeth:

sorry to disappoint :hug:

poolscape @ night, i didn't do it justice; DH & i enjoyed the rather deserted hot tub everynight:cloud9:

dltrip530.jpg

dltrip531.jpg
the small pool in the background has motorized boats u can drive (like the ones by the jungle cruise in WDW), the building to the left was a pool bar (they made a good frozen margaritta) and snack shop place/gift shop. The quiet pool & volleyball court was off to right & the 'grotto' area w/falls was to the rear.

I had heard so much about the Blue Bayou from this board, so i made sure that I booked the 1st lunch seating & asked for waterside table. Although rather pricey, def worth it!

watching the boats glide by
dltrip552.jpg

can u see the cabin in the background?
dltrip553.jpg

dltrip549.jpg

so well themed, beautiful
dltrip551.jpg

As recommended, DH & I did split an entree (Prime Rib) which DS also ordered. DH each received our own salad & an ample supply of bread. DH ordered the shrimp appetizer & I ate DSs gumbo (as he isn't a salad or gumbo eater lol).
dessert was impressive:banana: indeed! note DHs spoon, getting ready to swoop in...i told him "no", must take picture;) , they just don't get the concept:laughing: . BTW, the sail was edible, some sort of hard spun sugar, would've taken it if i thought it had a chance surviving trip home.

dltrip564.jpg

dltrip562.jpg

stuffed, we left to explore new orleans
dltrip567.jpg

dltrip566.jpg

dltrip565.jpg

DS found it! Cub 33
dltrip547.jpg

As a Disneyland veteren I am enjoying your trip report. I love the Disneyland Hotel. We have stayed there the last several trips we have taken. Now DH doesn't want to stay anywhere else.:rotfl: I am different. If it meant we could go more often I would just about sleep in our Minivan.:goodvibes Keep up the great trip report. I'm glad you enjoyed my happy place so much.

As a Disneyland veteren I am enjoying your trip report. I love the Disneyland Hotel. We have stayed there the last several trips we have taken. Now DH doesn't want to stay anywhere else.:rotfl: I am different. If it meant we could go more often I would just about sleep in our Minivan.:goodvibes Keep up the great trip report. I'm glad you enjoyed my happy place so much.

thanks, we really did enjoy it!

while im sure many of the off-site places are swell, the Disneyland Hotel just seemed to complete the experience for us...kept thinking of the history, etc...if the walls could only talk!

we did check out the grounds of the Califorinian, it was very nice; seemed very close in theme to the Wilderness Lodge which, while we luv, r familiar with it, it just wouldn't have had the same vibe as the DLH imo for a 1st time guest.

we were surprised as to how much was packed into the relatively small space @ DL...seems as though not a square inch is wasted;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter