• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Vet's 1st Trip to DL & U

The crowds were larger on Sunday, we rode all our 'now' favs near the Blue Bayou area & headed over to the castle, DH was in search of pewter sword (which he found - more reasonably priced than sim one he bought in a store in castle @ MK a few years ago:thumbsup2 which sadly is no longer there)

dltrip543.jpg

we watched the merlin show @ the carousel & i was intrigued as to the skyline
dltrip179.jpg

dltrip545.jpg

dltrip546.jpg

wearing my cheshire hat w/the cat;) , im a big fan of dark rides...DL has the best selection!
dltrip176.jpg

mr toad was another treat, lost track of how many times we rode these 2 rides by the end of week...family was begging for mercy:laughing:
dltrip178.jpg

note some of the pics here r from our last day, yet wanted to work them in

we took a break in the afternoon & headed back to hotel to swim & rest up for Fantasmic...refreshed, we tried to grab the monorail, but it was down so we leisurely walked thru DTD & window shopped.

As newbies we were a bit confused as to how Fantasmic worked here:confused3 , no seating so we just found a spot near tom sawyers island right before u go under bridge to POC, seemed good. Even though we were nearly an hour early the front sections were already taken. I later found out they were the only area u were permitted to sit during the show.

There was an elderly couple in front of us, the man was obviously unable to stand any longer & sat down. Within minutes a CM told him he had to stand...it became a game of cat & mouse...everytime the CM would leave, he would sit. To confuse the issue, the gent didn't speak English & a translator had to be summoned. By this time the show had started & with all the fuss/personnel about it was difficult to see.:rolleyes:

Getting frustrated, i did question "why" he couldn't sit. None of the CMs knew "why", just that it was "the rule":rolleyes1 . I decided to request a supervisor be summoned, for clarification. With typical Disney efficiency, one appeared within a matter of minutes. Her response was that "the rule" wasn't a safety issue (as i had thought, thinking stampede issues in case of some sort of malfunction of fireworks, etc.); it was because a sitting body takes up 3 times the amount of space that a standing one does.:idea: I suggested that since the rope had long been up & no more guests were allowed in the area, what harm would it be to let the man sit down...again "the rule" was sited:upsidedow .

What we saw of Fantasmic was impressive, hard to believe u can get so close to the action yet after this incident; our heart wasn't in it; so we visited space mt one more time then caught the monorail back to hotel area & snuck in a quick dip in the pool before it closed.

a smile? :confused3 c'mon...you've had your picture taken a jillion times...smile for ole Ma ;)

I think they should make an exception or have an area for people to sit who just can't stand. That man probably didn't know you couldn't sit there...and, frankly, who wants to sit and wait an hour for a show? :sad2:

All in all...sounds like fun. Your report makes me wanna go! :goodvibes I last rode Mr Toad when I was a girl...don't even really remember it now :eek: Would be awesome to take a spin on it!

Someday....someday...:rolleyes:

it was an incredible view, very peaceful @ night, fun to watch the resort come alive in the am too while i had morning cup of coffee (since we were still on east coast time;) )

wonder if there's a ride thru of mr toad on youtube...it's such a hoot:)

more to come

Woo Hoo! Thanks for the update! You know I have been patiently waiting.

lori - im thinking u may be closer drive to DL than WDW? wonder how easy it'd be to score DVC @ 7 months...since it's so small & all:confused3

I have done the mileage before. It is almost exactly the same from where I live. There is only about a 20 mile difference.

I love DL. It is a more relaxing vacation. But every time I plan to go, like last summer, the urge to visit WDW and all it offers, is just to big. And then there is the ticket factor. I wish they would offer an AP that was good at both sets of parks. If there was I would be more likely to alternate trips.

I am thinking that at first it be very hard to get in to the GCV's at the 7 month mark.

But Disneyland is so worth those extra 20 miles. IMO. Of course I have never been to Disney World. Living in California it is so much more cost effective to go to Disneyland.

I have done the mileage before. It is almost exactly the same from where I live. There is only about a 20 mile difference.

I love DL. It is a more relaxing vacation. But every time I plan to go, like last summer, the urge to visit WDW and all it offers, is just to big. And then there is the ticket factor. I wish they would offer an AP that was good at both sets of parks. If there was I would be more likely to alternate trips.

I am thinking that at first it be very hard to get in to the GCV's at the 7 month mark.

barb's right, u r lucky:thumbsup2 what r the odds lol

i agree, main reason we didn't get the AP was because we had to purchase the DL tix (which r reasonable imo)

even though I found out we could use MYW PH tix, it'd be a pain to have to stop @ guest services every am & have them call to get a day removed...u'd think their computers would be able to "talk":confused3

But Disneyland is so worth those extra 20 miles. IMO. Of course I have never been to Disney World. Living in California it is so much more cost effective to go to Disneyland.

u should give it a try someday:)

will say i had a hard time with the time zone change (3 hours), u'd have it much worse trying to make those early EMH hours...5 am:eek: ...yet, it's worth it:thumbsup2

Ah yes, don't you love "the rule" type rules. I understand that they have to be uniform in enforcing rules, but sometimes you just want to say "can't you consider this one situation instead of rubber stamping it?" Yeah, yeah... do it for one and there would be people who would complain about unfair treatment... if he can do it why can't I... mass hysteria... cats living with dogs... a world gone amok. :rolleyes:

Really enjoying the pictures. I too haven't been on Mr Toad since it was replaced with Pooh at WDW. I remember thinking it was hysterical and so much fun that I pouted when I found out it was gone. Then I fell in love with Pooh and got over it, but I would love to get the chance to ride it again!

Yes, DL is on my bucket list. Someday I'll be there.

We love:
Fantasyland at DL - it simply blows away WDW
Pirates - same as above
Haunted Mansion - You should see the overlay at Halloween/Christmas "Amazing"
Space Mtn - blows away WDW
Jungle Cruise - completely agree about the foliage and love the little extra stuff in the water near the end!!!!
Fantasmic! blows away WDW- the tug boat they use at WDW is shameful now
What did you think of Remember DReams come true Fireworks? My favorite!
Did you get to see Mainstreet Electrical Parades at CA?
Didn't you just love the original mainstreet? The penny arcade, steamboat willie theater, etc...

Waiting for the trip report for CA......

We love:
Fantasyland at DL - it simply blows away WDW
Pirates - same as above
Haunted Mansion - You should see the overlay at Halloween/Christmas "Amazing"
Space Mtn - blows away WDW
Jungle Cruise - completely agree about the foliage and love the little extra stuff in the water near the end!!!!
Fantasmic! blows away WDW- the tug boat they use at WDW is shameful now
What did you think of Remember DReams come true Fireworks? My favorite!
Did you get to see Mainstreet Electrical Parades at CA?
Didn't you just love the original mainstreet? The penny arcade, steamboat willie theater, etc...

Waiting for the trip report for CA......
i've been swamped, going to finish it soon:rolleyes1 thanks for asking

Fantasyland has more stuff that i could ever imagine per square inch! my fav part of park (Mr Toad & Alice!)

we were torn re visiting in the summer or for the halloween overland @ HM, got a great deal on hotel so we went for summer visit....secretly hoping to return to see it though once the updates to CA r done;)

re Fantasmic - it was so cool to be up so close to the action & the ships r something else...i couldn't get into the whole sitting on the pavement/standing though:confused3 not much else they could do to prevent it though, is there?

We skipped the parade (believe it's sim version as WDW?), the FW were wonderful as was just being able to soak up the atmosphere where Disney truly did begin:goodvibes

RE: Fantasmic!
We sat at the Riverbelle Terrace instead of sitting on the pavement like we did the first time. It was so much more enjoyable than the hard stone pavement.

You should have watched the day time parade. While I still think Spectromagic is the best parade around, Parade of Dreams is very special. I love how they stop in the middle of the parade, the music dies down, and Walt's voice comes in and (it states that "Disneyland is your land...) and then the song declares "Welcome to our Family Time".

Can't wait to hear how you liked CA and the Aladdin show.

In theory I liked CA;)

I really hadn't done my homework much as to looking closely @ park map...lots of twists & turns, not the 'spokes radiating from the castle' i had expected:confused3

As stated earlier, we were fortunate to be able to stay @ the DLH:goodvibes . My guidebooks indicated that we could enter CA thru entrance @ GC...we never did find the entrance to GC from DDD:guilty: oh, the shame...believe we passed it by several times, d'uh.
dltripb083.jpg

Anyway we ma
dltripb082.jpg
de do with being @ the park gates pre-opening, then followed the crowd past 'Soarin/GC hotel exit:rolleyes: , looped back & found a mass of people. There were just a few CMs about, not really directing anybody. We filled in the back of the line that was stretching nearly across the walkway.

After 20 minutes or so, the crowd started to move & head enmass, we just bobbed along, hoping they knew what they were doing...hoping nobody decided to start pushing or shoving...no worries 'mon;) a very cool crowd. One thing i'll def give to the CA parks is the lack of extreme commando behaviour:thumbsup2

Once we peaked the small rise/bridge; discovered there was a series of ropes: one was the line for newly opend Toy Story ride...success! About an hour wait, only issue was people ducking out of line to get FPs for CA Screamin' (yes, we followed suit).

the day was turning into a scorcher, notice not as much shade as DL

dltripb078.jpg

next Screamin (i bailed:upsidedow ); the guys luved it!

onto the 'carnival' area; i was thrilled to find one of my fav rides from childhood...shamefully cannot remember the name? Zephyr? the silver space ships that dangle & go in a circle...rode it several times until family drug me away, then the wild mousey ride-fun too.

Family hungry @ this point, so we grabbed a quick lunch & found ourselves next to the pin trading promo cart they had last summer...u could trade 2 pins within 2 minutes as i recall? only issue is most in line were CMs (don't blame them, they told me they were selling 'finds' on eBay to supplement income...still, the 'goodies' disappeared quickly:confused3

i've combined pics from 2 days @ CA, just for expediency

dltrip173.jpg

dltrip174.jpg

while i realize Soarin' is the same ride @ both parks, it's seemed better here?

realized we missed the 1st Alladin show, explored some more

I liked the monster ride (of course, it's a dark ride lol)
dltripb079.jpg

The TOT didn't appear to be quite as threatening for some reason...think because the way it's laid out u don't get a full view for as long of a time as MGM? Anyway, jr surprised me when i went to get the FPs & handed me his tix:eek: ; his 1st time EVER to ride!:woohoo: :banana: Rode it several times, while it was great fun i could swear that it's not as tall/long of a drop as MGMs:confused:

now...for the best of the best!!!!!!!

Alladin:cheer2: I was blown away by how professional and entertaining the show was (how do they get the elephant thru the door lol). The actor playing Genie was so professional and worked the crowd well, each show we saw (yes, more than 1) was slightly different. Please, oh, please...Disney...dump HSM & add this to MGM!!!!

Again, the CMs @ DL/CA were so talented...that whole Hollywood vibe; def contribute to a 1st rate experience.

I will say i was dissatisfied on 2nd day we visited, after waiting in the Toy Story line for another long time we were advised that the ride was down & they didn't suggest waiting...no FP since 'the ride hadn't offically started':mad: . while it may be policy, i think it stinks. Additionally, they didn't have any water carts up & running near the line. I was directed down to restaurant (kowabunga-which we did enjoy eating @ later)...nothing was open in the area. Finally, I had a CM working in gift shop summon a mgr & water cart was opened. She did state it usually was open, not sure why it wasn't...we were just glad to get some water, finally. Honestly, with the hot CA sun & long lines, u have to provide water or people will start keeling over imo. I'd like to think it was just a kink with the opening of the new attraction & all is smooth now!

speaking of professional entertainers...

a very special mention for performers in the Benny Hill review:thumbsup2 im def not a CW type of gal, yet they managed to cross the genre & give a highly entertaining show that had the house rockin!
dltrip609.jpg

certainly don't see a stage that disappears into the ground every day...another talented group of performers jammin! I enjoyed their set while DH & son were stuck on SpMt:laughing: , had some issues while we were there...the precise reason i declined to ride it a 2nd time that day...they didn't mind one bit...said it was rather interesting...despite the looks on jr's face after they finished
dltrip439.jpg

the band:

dltrip440.jpg

DTD was very different from WDWs version, more of a boardwalk sort of affair in the common areas...lot's of street performers (mostly hawking their CDs;) ); this fellow put on quite a show

dltrip618.jpg

dinner earlier @ the DLH, Goofy's Kitchen, was very enjoyable (while the food wasn't quite up to number of offerings @ Chef Mickey's, i must say the mostly 'face charactars' made for an unforgettable memory. the hostess must of noticed my look of dismay when we were directed way in the back near the windows to the right of the DR...she reassured me we had the best seats in the house...she was right...all the charactars entered the building next to our table:banana: 1st dibs! we never felt rushed & they lingered and made conversation...very cool!

dltrip425.jpg

i knew i had a fairy godmother somewhere
dltrip427.jpg

alice was a pro!
dltrip428.jpg

dltrip429.jpg

dltrip426.jpg

never ceases to amaze me that the elusive teen smiles r hidden @ charactar encounters;)

few more asst DL pics

the ships r impressive, DH-navy vet was in heaven

dltrip591.jpg

dltrip401.jpg

dltrip607.jpg

interesting museum in the ship too

tom sawyers island (or whatever it's called now) is so much more detailed that WDW...really glad we didn't skip it

work, work
dltrip592.jpg

dltrip595.jpg

dltrip596.jpg

i hate rope bridges...why do i have to cross them every vacation? :rotfl:
dltrip597.jpg

what happens to line jumpers? jk
dltrip590.jpg

dltrip599.jpg

treasure, missed capt jack though...so hot (didn't think late June/early July got quite so hot here?)...decided to skip the canoes too.

note: i still need to finish Universal:)

yes...you DO need to finish universal :snooty:

;)

is it me, or does FairyGodmother look odd? :scratchin (kind of masculine maybe :scared: )

Great pix...luvin' every minute of it :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter