WDW's Biggest Problem

I'm being serious here, no faceitiousness.

I don't see your comments, Mon Capitaine, has selfish or self-serving. Why would you be when you are only asking for that which you have been accustomed to...the level of service that WDW is known for and is what made me and others fall in love with the place.

My first trip in the seventies was one where my first memory is not of parking in a huge parking lot across an interstate and crossing a bridge to Six Flags....it is where we parked in a parking spot named after a Disney character, and took this tram over to a ferry station. We grabbed this ferry and took the cooolest five minute ride and looked at these magnificent hotels like the Polynesian and the Contemporary (exotic and futuristic, just like the lands behind them in the MK). No traffic lights, no gridlock (except in the parking lot).

Idyllic? Yes. Unrealistic?

NO. I guess the only time I get upset is when I read comments like yours and remember that the Power Rangers took our monorail away ;) ;) ;) ;)

Don't let anyone fool you...the real optimists are the ones that believe there is/was enough money and enough talent to get the expansion done, build AK like the MK or Epcot, give us hotels that whisk away from the mundane (at varying price levels according to transportation and convenience), give us transportation that consists of more than just white and purple busses...oh the list goes on...

As I find myself sitting at work across the street from downtown disney my magic eight ball tells me that you may soon see a wall appear around the place and admission be charged. The road construction should be done at the end of July and should alleviate the traffic but not the parking problems.

Changng cars? Goodness no. We in Car #1 have always pointed out our concerns to you good car 2 & 3ers, but I still don't see diminished magic the Parks, which is my main focus.

But I will give you that my new found concern over the apparant lack of premptive action in the area of transportation infrastructure and Resort guest facilitation leads me to vigorously scratch my... head. What do my other Car 1 (the stretch Lincoln Navigator) riders think?

Mr. Duck has taken over the driving dutes, the Pirate is pouring the drinks and tonite we have Jennifer Love Hewitt serving the snacks...All seems good in the stretch...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

But I will give you that my new found concern over the apparent lack of premptive action in the area of transportation infrastructure and Resort guest facilitation leads me to vigorously scratch my... head.
… And wonder if this is just another indication of how diametrically opposed "Walt’s Disney" is from "Ei$ner’s Disney®"!!

That's really the only difference between cars, you know. All the cars feel the exact same amount of magic (give or take a few grains of pixie dust). We're ALL Disney nuts!!!!! So the only difference is the way we view a very legitimate concern such as the one you brought up. I think it is very telling and is only symptomatic of the deeper problem of philosophy. You think it's nothing but a dumb mistake.

Dang it, Baron, I've been trying to verbalize this for weeks, and you hit it in one neat sentence. Bravo!

We're ALL Disney nuts!!!!! So the only difference is the way we view a very legitimate concern such as the one you brought up. I think it is very telling and is only symptomatic of the deeper problem of philosophy. You think it's nothing but a dumb mistake.

...you think it was a dumb mistake.
Well, yes I do...But please Landbaron give me some credit. You know me well enough to realize that even I wouldn't consider such an omission (as AV brings to the table) as just a mistake. Such a decision, particulrily with no alternative time frame or adjustment to the master plan would be a very serious breach of judgement.

For all the things I think about Disney, for all of the decisions they make that I can understand (that you can't) there are still certain things that make WDW what it is and being a step above the rest has always been one of them. If decisions like these go uncorrected as the situation worsens, my aliegence to Disney will not remain unchanged.

Certainly I see things from the selfish, AP, frequent visitor POV (that AV was alluding to) but WDW must continue to be that bastion of unreality in order for me to remain loyal. So while Dino-Rama doesn't ruffle my feathers, a Disney traffic jam does...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Well, yes I do...But please Landbaron give me some credit.
Peter!! This is the LandBaron you’re talking to. No need to be overly defensive (YES YOU ARE!!;)) I give you a lot of credit!

You know me well enough to realize that even I wouldn't consider such an omission (as AV brings to the table) as just a mistake. Such a decision, particularly with no alternative time frame or adjustment to the master plan would be a very serious breach of judgment.
On this we can wholeheartedly agree. So the next question, in my mind at least, is why? Why did such a thing occur? I mean, is it a simple (or even serious) mistake, or is it indicative of their current thinking?

NOW HEAR ME CLEARLY CAR #1 PEOPLE!!!

Leave all the magic, pixie dust and unique Disney experiences right where they are. In fact, lets even totally agree (if for argument’s sake alone) that we all, #3 and #1 people alike, ‘feel’ the exact same boyish (girlish) glee when we visit Disney (that’s a stipulation, isn’t it Chad?)!! I think Peter, Greg and even Scoop will testify that I do!!!

And let’s further stipulate that we all feel pretty much the same way as Peter does about the transportation debacle that is currently plaguing WDW. And also the feelings are the same for Dino-rama and pretty close to the same for DCA (especially vs. DisneySeas). I might even say that we can all agree about EE and shorter hours in general, even if it doesn’t directly affect us. And lastly, I don’t think I’ll receive much static from the Car #1 folks if I bring up Pre$$ler’s name.

OK. Stipulations are over with. Time to move on.

So, when we all, #3 and #1 riders, consider these matters, what conclusions do we come away with? That they are merely anomalies? One-time events? Nothing to concern our pretty little heads over?

I think they are tips of the icebergs. They are simply tangible indications that these people in charge don’t have a clue as to what they are doing!!!! And that makes me think that perhaps, with these people in charge, the future may not be very bright. Now remember!!! That doesn’t, for one single solitary moment, change any of the ‘magic’ I currently feel!!!

I’m I getting any clearer?

We're ALL Disney nuts!!!!! So the only difference is the way we view a very legitimate concern such as the one you brought up. I think it is very telling and is only symptomatic of the deeper problem of philosophy. You think it's nothing but a dumb mistake.

Quote of the week!!!

Barron, my good friend, you've done it. Sumed up a few years of debating in one statement!

good, now we don't have to have 20 page threads on this stuff anymore and get back to rumors.. oh, who am I kidding

:)

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

I believe Yogi Berra said it...as long as DD is crowded why would the shortsighted management think there is a problem?

Paul

S C O O P ! ! !

You have got to be kidding!! You actually agree with that statement!! I tried to make it so outragous that no one could agree.

(slowly shaking his head) My, oh my. We're farther apart than I thought!!

Witch statement?
Obviously missed by the Scoop!!. Check out the spelling. Witch as opposed to 'which'. A lame attempt at humor for the 'old' DVC!! :crazy: (sorry)

But it turns out the joke was on me!!! I mistakenly thought you posted two in a row!! But when I looked back it turned out to be space42!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Man, am I a moron!!! How can I possibly be right about anything!!!! :confused: :confused: :jester: :wave: :wave:

Speaking of rumors, I see that that the good Mr. Show has dropped the Entrance Fee rumor that’s been riling around for a while. The terror of every car rental agency, taxi cab and non-Meers shuttle bus. I always thought there would be enough political pressure on Disney to stop this, but dollars always speak louder than the screams of other businesses.

It appears we now have the most DISNEY® solution to Captain’s traffic problem. Doesn’t cost anything expect for a few new toll booths and generates a very impressive profit.

Let the rationalizations begin!

I don't know where Scoop's Discovery Cove comments fit in here. But Stitch is the blue one, not Lilo. But since you seem to be saying that no one is going to be paying money for a monorail ticket, you must then WANT the busses, the roads and the traffic.

The sad thing is that Disney could have spent one fifth of the dollars dropped on Fox Family and connected every reosrt and every park with a next-generation monorail. And not had to charge the guests a dime.

I don't know how much DD depends on non-resort guest traffic, but a simple and typically Disney type solution would seem to be take away all of the free parking at DD and WDW resorts, too, except for resort guests. Charge for people to park at the mall- I know in Stamford,CT that is done without harming the traffic at the mall.

Paul

Staying with the transportation theme... ;)

I'll take Scoop up on his challenge/query:

Quack one time here or in Baron's other thread if you think M. Scoop is correct, that the monorail has lost its 'magic' because...
It was a big deal in 1972 and even 1982, but now even the airport has one.

However, if you think it is okay for a monorail to run through a Polynesian or African or Beach themed resort (or any other high-end Disney resort--discounting the fact that AV predicted a monorail in every pot for 1/5 of the Power Ranger money), please say "Aye, Aye, Captain."

Source: Monsieur Scoop said,
Would it be considered a positive for the monorail to go to all resorts? I'm not sure I want a monorail going through an African lodge or through an old-fashioned Boardwalk.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

my magic eight ball tells me that you may soon see a wall appear around the place and admission be charged

And this quote only started the hints that are running throughout this thread. This started as an interesting discussion about traffic at one of MY favorite theme parks ;) but something else has reared its ugly head.

Entrance fees? To shopping and restaurants? To the Rainforest Cafe? Huh? :confused:

As far as traffic and parking problems goes, WDW desperately needs some kind of parking garage in the area kind of like (dare I say it?) Universal has at City Walk. And yes, I would gladly pay a REASONABLE fee to park.

Quack one time here or in Baron's other thread if you think M. Scoop is correct, that the monorail has lost its 'magic'

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! It hasn't.

I understand the point about not wanting it to run through an African lodge, or even an "animal kingdom". However, it can certainly run unobtrusively NEAR these places (walking distance).

I would also add that boats are also a very pleasant alternative to busses, and they could fit VERY nicely at AK and AKL. They already do at BW. You just can't take one directly to AK or MK (though you can take a boat to Epcot, walk to the monorail and get to MK that way).

Side note- I'd also be interested in any other types of mass transportation that could be used. Maybe there's something out there that could be the "Monorail for the next generation"?

Admission to DD? In addition to the admission to PI?

Ugh.

The main thing that got us to DD more than we would have otherwise was the 15% American Express discount at the Disney stores there. If they start charging us to get in, it just makes it less likely we'll go. (another reason why I am interested in the specifics of the new "Disney rewards Visa", and the likely ending of the AMEX partnership).

I suppose one pricing option would be to include it with all Hoppers/APs etc. without raising those prices, therefore only really affecting day visitors and locals. But would that be a good idea?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter