• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"We’re not gonna make it, we’re not gonna make it!" Aug 2014 mini-PTR upd 1/8

OK, so I'm not the only one with the bread pudding thing lol! I would NEVER eat it at home - actually just the thought of bread and pudding together used to gross me out. But since having it at Raglan Road and Ohana I have no problem eating it when we're in WDW!

I also love the idea of getting your ears signed :thumbsup2 I wish I could work for the Disney store. The one in our mall closed years ago so the closest one now is in a mall almost an hour away. There's an outlet about 30 minutes away, but still too far for a PT job :(

Enjoy your Feb. trip! Looking forward to reading about it. I'm counting the days until DH and I go on our quick anniversary trip in March :love:

Congrats on the Disney Store! :banana:

I'm jealous of your stay at AKL - I loved our stay at Jambo House! I'm sure you'll love the Boma breakfast as it's pretty darn fantastic. Make sure you wake up hungry as there's TONS of good food to choose from!

That travel journal is adorable, and your Magic Band idea is awesome! It will be fun to see those names pop up on a regular basis!

On February Travel...

Feel free to peruse my horribly overdue (but still not abandoned!) February TR for any ideas! When we were there in 2012, I found the weather to be pretty pleasant - I usually wore capris, but I could often take off my fleece jacked by mid-morning. My sister often wore shorts "as we were in Florida!" and I did a few days, as well. I would recommend you bring at least one pair of jeans or pants - we only used them once but it was almost 30 DEGREES so it felt pretty darn chilly. I also recommend bringing some thin gloves (the 99-cent kind) - they don't take up much space, but we LOVED that I thought of them when we had that chilly evening. It made being outside much more bearable. :thumbsup2

As for the crowds, I noticed slightly more people than I remembered from our prior early winter trips. We noticed several Brazilian tour groups (although we were pretty successful at avoiding them), and there were tons and tons of cheerleaders at several parks (we REALLY avoided them). However, the lines were certainly shorter than they were in May. I think if you can handle a summer trip at Disney World, February will be nice!

Great news on the job!

Yay, you're leaving SO SOON! Too bad Olivia won't be able to come with. I had to miss a couple Disney trips with the family when I was in college too, and it's the pits. But you do what you gotta do to finish school. If I wouldn't have, I might not be getting to go to Disney as often as I do now!

A 1 bedroom at Kidani will be sooooo nice! Great way to burn those points. :thumbsup2

Okay, the Wall-E & EVE from park maps is genius. Love it!

I'm so glad that you'll be able to stay on at the Disney Store! Hopefully they'll have more hours for you soon, but until then ... you can spend the time vacation planning!

Sad that Olivia can't come on the trip, but school is definitely more important.

Definitely try to get the BOG lunch FP (it usually opens up 27 days before ... so it should be available soon if it isn't already). While we really really loved dinner there and would recommend that, I think any opportunity to go there and look around is incredible. It is so beautiful and I love all the theming!

That Minnie outfit is super cute ... I hope you can make something from it that fits!

Homemade CM thank you cards are such a great idea!

That travel journal is quite awesome. Seriously, adorable!

I love the idea of bringing the ears to get signed. They're super cute and it'll be a very unique souvenir!

That Wall-E thing Olivia made is amazing. So creative and adorable!

I love reading along with live updates, so if you suddenly discover someone random following you on twitter and instagram ... that's me. I'll be following you as soon as I get around to logging in to both (or finding my phone, where I'm already logged in to both). (In all seriousness, if I remember correctly, I'm "slkworks" on both, so if you see that name pop up, it's me)

That's awesome you get to stay on at the Disney store!! I'm sure it will pick up soon. :good vibes

Thank you! I am just sooo happy about it. Yes, I think the hours will pick up a bit in the spring and really I don't NEED to work a lot-I'd be happy with 2-3, 4 hour shifts a week.

We have done dinner as a family at BOG and lunch w/ FP+ as a couple when we went in Aug for our anniv. We are hoping for a FP+ for lunch again. It was crazy busy and waited a bit but the food was good and it was neat to order ahead of time and have the food just "magically" delivered to our table! ;)

I was able to get the lunch FP today for our last full day. :banana: Of course, I feel bad about going without Olivia so there is a chance we will just wait until June (when I have a dinner reservation). But at least I have the option now!

We also had LTT as a couple for lunch in Aug and it was very good as well.

I'm obsessed with the ooey gooey toffee cake that everyone raves about. If we end up at BOG then this won't happen.

I love the signed mouse ears idea! :) Also, the Wall-E gift that Olivia made is adorable!! :cutie:

Thanks! The only hesitation I have on the mouse ears would be losing them so I am still thinking it over. Since they were a cast member thing I wouldn't be able to replace them.

I absolutely love that journal!! ::yes::

It is really cute. I think I am even going to draw pictures in it. Not sure how many trips it holds but several. It would be a great gift for a Disney kid (or grownup that thinks they are a kid).

How exciting…magic bands are probably on the way and you leave so soon!!:yay:

BTW, we stayed in a 1 bdrm at AKL (Jambo) for 3 nights as part of a trip a few years ago. It was awesome!! You will love it. :lovestruc

Yes we are SO excited. It seems so homey and warm and will be perfect for a winter trip.

Almost forgot, your doggies are so cute! We have 2 as well. A terrier mix and an Aust. shep. We hate to leave them as well, but Disney calls!!

Thanks! Yes....my dogs aren't thrilled to have to share my love with a mouse but it's just how it is.

27 days!!! :woohoo: That excitement is for you, but almost myself! I cannot wait to get out of this cold!

We are even closer now!! :cheer2:

Uh yes, I think I only have had bread pudding a handful of times in my life...but Disney bread pudding is crazygood! It's probably a good thing. Your choices look great, I have Raglan Road on my list and never get there.

Glad it's not just me with the bread pudding! The portabella mushroom sandwich is sooo good at Raglin Road! You have to give it a try sometime (and the bread pudding :lmao: ).

We did BOG lunch right after they opened and they would not make any substitutions, so it was not the best meal for two vegetarians. Savannah ate fries and dessert. :rolleyes: Totally worth seeing though and I think maybe they have better options now!

Yes. The menu has been an issue for us. The kids menu looks like it has pasta or a grilled cheese so Lucy will get one of those. I might try that Quinoa salad although I'm not 100% sold on it. If not I'll just get a cupcake and fries (or a kids meal)!

We totally have the same Disneyfood taste! CHH is awesome, lighthouse sandwich?? Tangierene Cafe is my favorite CS on site. I cannot go to WDW without eating there. I'm drooling just thinking about it!

Yes! Those are my two favorite CS meals! Even Aaron who usually doesn't eat vegetarian when we eat out understands the Vegetable Platter love. And I have tried to re-create the lighthouse sandwich at home. It wasn't the same.

I'm so glad they are keeping you on! I would adore working at a Disney store! We don't have one for 100 miles. Boo! Having the ears signed is a great idea and I can't wait to see what you do with the outfits.

Yes! I was beyond happy! It's so fun to have that avenue to share my "Disney side".

Oh and you journal too at Disney! I have to or I won't remember what happened. :lmao:

Well this is more of a kids journal. Haha but I do try and take a few notes and hope to do a better job this time. TR writing is a lot easier with notes. I've learned that the hard way.

So I will see you in 4 weeks! Can't wait to run, this is going to be fun to meet up! :thumbsup2

Really looking forward to it!!

OK, so I'm not the only one with the bread pudding thing lol! I would NEVER eat it at home - actually just the thought of bread and pudding together used to gross me out. But since having it at Raglan Road and Ohana I have no problem eating it when we're in WDW!

I feel better knowing its' not just me. Have you had the Banana bread French toast at Olivia's (at Old Key West)? That falls in the same category for me too.

I also love the idea of getting your ears signed :thumbsup2 I wish I could work for the Disney store. The one in our mall closed years ago so the closest one now is in a mall almost an hour away. There's an outlet about 30 minutes away, but still too far for a PT job :(

Thanks. I think it would be cute too. I am just a bit worried about something happening to them although once I get them signed I would just leave them in the room. I would be so sad not having a Disney Store! We have an outlet about 2 hours away that we go to a few times a year. It's not as magical as a regular store, in my opinion, but I love the parks merchandise they sell! And certainly better than nothing!!

Enjoy your Feb. trip! Looking forward to reading about it. I'm counting the days until DH and I go on our quick anniversary trip in March :love:

Thank you!! Awe have a great trip with your DH. Aaron and I went last March for a few days. We only went to Epcot one day and just did resort activities the rest of the trip. It was one of my favorite trips and I can't wait to go back with just him one day.:love:

Congrats on the Disney Store! :banana:

Thank you!!! :cloud9:

I'm jealous of your stay at AKL - I loved our stay at Jambo House! I'm sure you'll love the Boma breakfast as it's pretty darn fantastic. Make sure you wake up hungry as there's TONS of good food to choose from!

We will. There was definitely thought behind making that our first full days meal. We shouldn't be in that "I can't eat anymore" mode that happens as the trip starts to come to an end.

That travel journal is adorable, and your Magic Band idea is awesome! It will be fun to see those names pop up on a regular basis!

It won't be the first time we have used other names on our Magic Bands. ;)

On February Travel...

Feel free to peruse my horribly overdue (but still not abandoned!) February TR for any ideas! When we were there in 2012, I found the weather to be pretty pleasant - I usually wore capris, but I could often take off my fleece jacked by mid-morning. My sister often wore shorts "as we were in Florida!" and I did a few days, as well. I would recommend you bring at least one pair of jeans or pants - we only used them once but it was almost 30 DEGREES so it felt pretty darn chilly. I also recommend bringing some thin gloves (the 99-cent kind) - they don't take up much space, but we LOVED that I thought of them when we had that chilly evening. It made being outside much more bearable. :thumbsup2

As for the crowds, I noticed slightly more people than I remembered from our prior early winter trips. We noticed several Brazilian tour groups (although we were pretty successful at avoiding them), and there were tons and tons of cheerleaders at several parks (we REALLY avoided them). However, the lines were certainly shorter than they were in May. I think if you can handle a summer trip at Disney World, February will be nice!

Did you just say gloves, Brazilian tour groups and cheerleaders? Yikes! I'm nervous now! Haha! Actually though we are in a pretty good position as this being a bonus trip. If parks are busy or cold, etc. we will be ok just to leave since we know we will back. We won't really have the urgency to HAVE to do things. That flexibility will hopefully make a difference. (Thanks for the glove tip....I will definitely grab a few pairs!)

Great news on the job!

Thank you! :wizard:

Yay, you're leaving SO SOON! Too bad Olivia won't be able to come with. I had to miss a couple Disney trips with the family when I was in college too, and it's the pits. But you do what you gotta do to finish school. If I wouldn't have, I might not be getting to go to Disney as often as I do now!

I know! I am almost at the point where I start to freak out that the trip is almost over (even though we haven't gone yet...haha). Good point! It's hard and we like having her with us but coordinating everyone's schedules is just so much harder now. It will just make us all appreciate the family trip this June. I'm hoping to do a few "special" things on that trip to make up for it.

A 1 bedroom at Kidani will be sooooo nice! Great way to burn those points. :thumbsup2

It is a big splurge for sure. I keep reminding Lucy that this is not the new standard (unfortunately).

Okay, the Wall-E & EVE from park maps is genius. Love it!

Olivia is always great with homemade gifts but this one was just perfect.

I'm so glad that you'll be able to stay on at the Disney Store! Hopefully they'll have more hours for you soon, but until then ... you can spend the time vacation planning!

Exactly!!

Sad that Olivia can't come on the trip, but school is definitely more important.

Yes we will miss her but I am proud that she understood that not missing school was more important.

Definitely try to get the BOG lunch FP (it usually opens up 27 days before ... so it should be available soon if it isn't already). While we really really loved dinner there and would recommend that, I think any opportunity to go there and look around is incredible. It is so beautiful and I love all the theming!

I was able to get it today! Yay! Not 100% sure we will use it since I might want to wait for us all to go together in June. I will just have to think it over the next few weeks. Great to at least have the option though.
That Minnie outfit is super cute ... I hope you can make something from it that fits!

I was looking at it more today. I am leaning towards waiting and making something for the summer. I can just envision myself working to make something and then us being stuck in jackets the whole trip. Plus I think I am better at sewing summer things (skirts, tank tops). But we will see....

Homemade CM thank you cards are such a great idea!

Thanks! Putting my old scrapbook materials to use! ;)

That travel journal is quite awesome. Seriously, adorable!

I love the idea of bringing the ears to get signed. They're super cute and it'll be a very unique souvenir!

I think so too if I can just get over my fear of losing them.

That Wall-E thing Olivia made is amazing. So creative and adorable!

Thank you. I love it and was so surprised by it. Olivia is such a good gift giver!

I love reading along with live updates, so if you suddenly discover someone random following you on twitter and instagram ... that's me. I'll be following you as soon as I get around to logging in to both (or finding my phone, where I'm already logged in to both). (In all seriousness, if I remember correctly, I'm "slkworks" on both, so if you see that name pop up, it's me)

Yes! Please follow me! I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't want people following me. I don't have a ton of followers so the more the merrier!!

Yes, I was hoping to try the ooey gooey toffee cake at LTT too, but I was too full from the large portion at lunch!! :rolleyes1

I'm sorry....got behind again. :(

Loved the Frozen Sing-along.

I love the photopass picture with the Guaridans of the Galaxy (I'm not a Star Wars fan, but hubby is.

The last PP picture in front of the hat is awesome.

I'm glad you enjoyed the fireworks; we did too.

We love Fantasmic, but it is such a hassle to get in and out of.

I like that you took a walk to OKW (one of my fav's). That was really cutting it close with the trip over to DTD, but glad you made it back in time for your bus.

Love your little bit of PTR info. We LOVE Raglan Road and Boma for breakfast (we've never done dinner). I highly recommend Kona...it's a must-do for us every trip.

And you are going to LOVE the one-bedroom at Kidani.

How did I not know that you had this report going? And....now....I'm super late to the dang party 'cause you are finished with the report. There's simply too much to comment on so I know that I'm going to forget most of what I wanted to say.

First off, cute cute cute skirts! Where do you buy your fabric? I love it!

Second, what a fun trip you guys had! I know that's a generic statement but, like i said, I can't remember everything that I wanted to comment on. ;)

Yay for a trip coming up in less than a month. To say that I am envious is an understatement!

Yes, I was hoping to try the ooey gooey toffee cake at LTT too, but I was too full from the large portion at lunch!! :rolleyes1

Oh no you were too full? Totally something I would do!
I'm sorry....got behind again. :(

No worries! Your report is one I am behind on too and hoping to catch up on later today. :) Glad you were able to stop back.

Loved the Frozen Sing-along.

Yes...you could tell it wasn't as polished most of the other Disney performances but still a really fun time. I still enjoy singing the Frozen songs. :goodvibes

I love the photopass picture with the Guaridans of the Galaxy (I'm not a Star Wars fan, but hubby is.

Me too! And even in the moment they didn't know what they were posing with.

The last PP picture in front of the hat is awesome.

So glad we have a good last hat picture.

I'm glad you enjoyed the fireworks; we did too.

We love Fantasmic, but it is such a hassle to get in and out of.

Really that can be said about most nighttime shows I guess and is probably why for years we mostly stayed away. I have a bit of a crowd phobia!

I like that you took a walk to OKW (one of my fav's). That was really cutting it close with the trip over to DTD, but glad you made it back in time for your bus.

It's a really nice walk along the water. We walked it in March too and we always laugh because the CM at SSR told us it was way too far to walk. Like 4 miles. We used my phone GPS and it was around 1 mile. Big difference. :lmao:

Love your little bit of PTR info. We LOVE Raglan Road and Boma for breakfast (we've never done dinner). I highly recommend Kona...it's a must-do for us every trip.

Thanks! I am I'm pretty happy with most of my choices...although I wish we had more time to eat. LOL. 4 nights isn't enough time to go everywhere!

And you are going to LOVE the one-bedroom at Kidani.

I am so excited about this. You don't even know!!! :cloud9:

How did I not know that you had this report going? And....now....I'm super late to the dang party 'cause you are finished with the report. There's simply too much to comment on so I know that I'm going to forget most of what I wanted to say.

Haha, Lisa! So happy you stopped by. And we can just call you early to the February TR instead of late to this one! :)

First off, cute cute cute skirts! Where do you buy your fabric? I love it!

Thank you! My skirts are definitely my "signature" piece that I sew. I have ALOT of them. Most of my fabric comes from JoAnn but I have bought "vintage" or used (as my kids call them) sheets from ebay to make several of them. You sew too, right? I might have scraps you could be interested in. Let me know if there is one you might like!

Second, what a fun trip you guys had! I know that's a generic statement but, like i said, I can't remember everything that I wanted to comment on. ;)

I do the same thing so no worries! Yes it was fun and I think the fact that it was such an unexpected bonus trip it really took all the pressure off to do that, and that, etc.... We are currently considering changing our June trip to this same week in August. Honestly I have mixed feelings about it but this was such a good trip I think we will all be ok to switch. The biggest disappointment is the several Disboards people I was hoping to run into in June. Haha!
Yay for a trip coming up in less than a month. To say that I am envious is an understatement!

We are SO lucky to have another "bonus" trip in the works. I can't even begin to describe how much better this makes winter in Ohio...knowing I get to go "home" soon. :)

I wish that we still had a JoAnn's crafts here. It closed down many years ago and now all we have is Hobby Lobby and Hancock Fabric. They have some Disney prints but not very many. Dang it!

OMG!! Just totally binge read this entire TR and completely loved it!!! Hope your February trip was super amazing. Please, please, please write another TR!!!!

I wish that we still had a JoAnn's crafts here. It closed down many years ago and now all we have is Hobby Lobby and Hancock Fabric. They have some Disney prints but not very many. Dang it!

Lisa! I know this is an old comment but I just saw it now and felt bad that I never responded. Hope your are (or did, are you back yet?) having a magical trip! Looking forward to the report.

OMG!! Just totally binge read this entire TR and completely loved it!!! Hope your February trip was super amazing. Please, please, please write another TR!!!!

Haha! Thank you! Sometimes it's nice to find older completed trip reports so you can just binge read the whole thing and not have to wait on updates. Like reading a whole book in one sitting vs. a chapter at a time. ;)

February was great but I never wrote a TR, sorry! BUT never fear. The link in my siggie of my PTR has a mini-TR going for my trip just a few weeks ago when I took Olivia to Florida to start the Disney college program. We have our original July vacation (the PTR) coming up and I am planning a full TR for that one! So there is more...just follow the link.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter