• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"We’re not gonna make it, we’re not gonna make it!" Aug 2014 mini-PTR upd 1/8

Of course I'm still here! I haven't even had time to update my new tr at all because I've had unlimited hours at work for a while now and thanksgiving traveling and packing for Texas. It's a busy time.

Yes...SO happy its all taken care of. Buying resale saved us thousands and we really couldn't have afforded it otherwise but it was very trying at times.

We went the last week of January in 2009 and it was cold. Yikes...I said I would never do that again. Never say never though, right? :rolleyes1 I hate the thought of leaving my skirts behind but the good news is we booked our summer trip this week too so they will get some use then for sure! :)

Thanks for sticking with me, Sarah! You might be my only reader left! Between making magic at work, the holidays and now trying to organize two upcoming trips this report has been neglected. :( I did work on some picture uploads tonight so I hope to have an update soon. Thanks again. :goodvibes

See, I love going in January because as long as I have layers, I don't mind the cold, and so many people are either scared off by the cold or in school, so the crowds are lower! I could never go in the summer, I'd die of overheating and overcrowdedness. I guess everyone has their own favorite times to go.

I totally understand the not having time to update ... it's happened to me with a lot of things in the past (not so much now because I don't have a life ...). I'll be sticking around for as long as it takes you to finish the TR, and I'm looking forward to the next update ... whenever it comes.

I love that Goofy Coffee pin! That is like combining my two favorite things. I do not collect pins, but if I saw that one, I might have caved in and started!

Your handmade Snow White fabric skirts are amazing!

I've never heard the kiss goodnight. But 2am? You guys are hardcore!

I'm still following you too! Enjoying the updates as they come.

Hi! Thanks for reading. Fingers crossed that I have time this weekend for an update.

Of course I'm still here! I haven't even had time to update my new tr at all because I've had unlimited hours at work for a while now and thanksgiving traveling and packing for Texas. It's a busy time.

I know....I've been waiting for you to get started on your report. But I guess we will all have plenty of time in the long winter months of Jan and Feb! Texas? Have fun!

See, I love going in January because as long as I have layers, I don't mind the cold, and so many people are either scared off by the cold or in school, so the crowds are lower! I could never go in the summer, I'd die of overheating and overcrowdedness. I guess everyone has their own favorite times to go.

I totally understand the not having time to update ... it's happened to me with a lot of things in the past (not so much now because I don't have a life ...). I'll be sticking around for as long as it takes you to finish the TR, and I'm looking forward to the next update ... whenever it comes.

Hoping to have a new appreciation of a winter trip after this one. I do feel like it will be ok seeing as it is just a "bonus" trip and not our long vacation. ;) If the weather is yucky we can stay snuggled up at AKL.

Thanks! I am really hoping to finish this report this year! That might be optimistic but I'm trying.

I love that Goofy Coffee pin! That is like combining my two favorite things. I do not collect pins, but if I saw that one, I might have caved in and started!

Your handmade Snow White fabric skirts are amazing!

I've never heard the kiss goodnight. But 2am? You guys are hardcore!

I was just re-reading some of your report to get dining ideas for June. This will be my first time booking ADRs at 180 days (tomorrow). Planning a date night at California grill because of you. :) Also looking at Trails End although I am not too worried about getting that ADR. How is your planning going?

I just started collecting pins this year....my girls have been doing it forever. I really like it. I usually only trade 10 or so a trip but so far the ones I end up with really define the trip for me and tell a story. I have each trips on their own section on a cork board. Love them!

Thanks on the skirts. I can't wait until spring so I can start wearing them again.

Olaf Distribution center and other Frozen fun-PART 1

After the previous late night we defiantly deserved to sleep in and did just that.

Loved having this as my morning view:

But then had this "view" after stepping out of our room. :sad2:

We decided against a “fun” morning activity (it was likely going to be mini-golf at WinterSummerland, maybe next time) and decided to just get ready and get to Hollywood Studios!

I wasn’t sure how the Frozen Sing-A-Long tickets were being issued so Olivia and I decide to head out first and make sure we got our tickets.

Upon entering HS around 12 we see the Olaf Distribution center and that just made me laugh. That didn't stop Olivia from getting her Olaf, though!

We make our way back to the Streets of America and see a small, fast moving line. We had our choice of shows but had wanted a later one and easily got it.

Olivia and I then had our Tower of Terror FP. Always a fun time and one of my absolute favorites! There is a lot going on in this photo so feel free to look it over for awhile. :rotfl2:

Aaron and Lucy weren’t far behind us and took their time stopping at several of the PP photo ops along the way.

The acting skills must have been on point given the girls looking back at them!

Ugh...those bangs in her eyes!

We all met up at the Animation building around 1:15. I think we just missed the start of the next animation class so we were just wandering around when Jake appears! We were all excited but not as excited as Olivia since she had a bit of a crush on Jake.

Getting her Magic Band signed (which has become a tradition for her. She had Peter Pan sign it on our previous trip).

I was laughing so hard I had tears when I added this border to this picture so I had to share it here. :lmao:

We made a quick stop at Oaken's to check it out and decided to come back after lunch. We had a 2:00 ADR at Mama Melrose and we were ready for lunch!

Yay! An update!

I love that Tower of Terror picture. So much to laugh at ... but I think my favorite is a tie between the group in the front holding hands and Olivia's face.

Omg! If I hadn't been on a public bus when I first read this, I probably would have actually been on the floor laughing. This is awesome! Olivia should print it and hang it in her room!

Sounds like a fun start to the day - I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of the day!

Hello! I just found your report and am now subscribed! I was able to read the updates, but I will go back and read the comments, I promise...eventually.

There were so many things to comment on so I won't try, except to say that I understand your sadness about no pictures on your 2nd day. We were there a few weeks after you and it was crazy hot that week, even the locals were complaining about the heat, and I could NOT get my family to stop long enough to take a picture. I was also sad!

Oh, and the "we're engaged" picture was hilarious!

I loved your skirts and the red & white dress your daughter was wearing earlier in the trip. I'm going to ask if you made them, but I imagine that question will be answered when I finally go back and read the comments.

We became DVC members this year, we bought resale at SSR, and because we bought we were able to go twice in 2014. We enjoyed doing split stays so that we can check out more than one resort on a trip--we stayed at SSR twice, BWV and AKL (Kidani) and have liked them all. My DH's favorite is a toss up between BWV and SSR while my DD's favorite was AKL (because we had savannah view). I'm torn since I loved all of them simply because I was home!

I hope you are still enjoying being a CM at the Disney Store, now that the holiday shopping season is in full force!

Can't wait for the next update!

You have got to keep that Engagement photo to show during a slide show at her actual wedding someday! Too funny. I do hope DHS keeps some of the Frozen stuff going next summer when we are there!

I did make ADRs last week too! I did not have a lot to make as my family is not big on sit down meals with the young twins. My main goal was to get a pre-rope drop breakfast at CP one of the days and I got an 8:15am one for 8 people. Yay!:tigger:

Yay! An update!

I love that Tower of Terror picture. So much to laugh at ... but I think my favorite is a tie between the group in the front holding hands and Olivia's face.

Omg! If I hadn't been on a public bus when I first read this, I probably would have actually been on the floor laughing. This is awesome! Olivia should print it and hang it in her room!

Sounds like a fun start to the day - I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of the day!

TOT pictures are always so funny. Just another reason to love that ride!

Haha...I know the Jake picture had me in tears. It was just so funny to me.

Hoping to get the time to work on an update over the weekend. I was really trying to finish this before the new year and while that is probably optimistic at this point I do need to wrap it up soon....our February trip is in 47 days!!

Loved the "just engaged" photo!! Too funny!

Thanks! I think I was just getting delirious after looking them all over, editing them for hours, etc....but it ended up being a keeper for sure!

Hello! I just found your report and am now subscribed! I was able to read the updates, but I will go back and read the comments, I promise...eventually.

There were so many things to comment on so I won't try, except to say that I understand your sadness about no pictures on your 2nd day. We were there a few weeks after you and it was crazy hot that week, even the locals were complaining about the heat, and I could NOT get my family to stop long enough to take a picture. I was also sad!

Oh, and the "we're engaged" picture was hilarious!

I loved your skirts and the red & white dress your daughter was wearing earlier in the trip. I'm going to ask if you made them, but I imagine that question will be answered when I finally go back and read the comments.

We became DVC members this year, we bought resale at SSR, and because we bought we were able to go twice in 2014. We enjoyed doing split stays so that we can check out more than one resort on a trip--we stayed at SSR twice, BWV and AKL (Kidani) and have liked them all. My DH's favorite is a toss up between BWV and SSR while my DD's favorite was AKL (because we had savannah view). I'm torn since I loved all of them simply because I was home!

I hope you are still enjoying being a CM at the Disney Store, now that the holiday shopping season is in full force!

Can't wait for the next update!

Hi! Welcome! :wave:

Don't feel obligated to wade through all the comments. I usually just read the response to my comment when reading other reports...especially long ones!

Too bad about you having a picture-less day also! Some days it just doesn't work out, I guess.

The red dress Lucy is wearing at Epcot was from the mini-Disney Store area at JCPenney! It was so cute I couldn't resist especially since this was her last summer squeezing into the Disney Stores children's sizes (with a very minimal exception to a few tshirts, I don't understand why they stop kids sizing at 9/10). It actually fits me as a top so it might make a return performance this summer....haha! The skirts I did make. Thanks!!

Congrats on DVC! Glad to hear you are loving it!! We are VERY excited for our 1BR stay at Kidani in February. Although I keep having to remind us all that 1BR's won't be typical for us since we didn't buy that many points (150). We will be setting the standard high! Then we have a split studio stay this summer at BLT and OKW. If we LOVE Kidani in Feb I might change the OKW to Kidani but I do like that OKW has two beds in the studio! Excited since these are all new resorts for us! We bought at BWI and hope to stay there in 2016. We just got our points past the 7 month window so we had no luck with availability at BWI.

Still really, really loving my Disney Store job! I get terribly sad thinking that the holidays are almost over. I have made it clear to my manager that I would love to stick around after the holidays are over. Unfortunately I have no idea how many others of the seasonal cast want to stay on as well and what exactly they will be looking for. Pixie dust needed!!! pixiedust:

You have got to keep that Engagement photo to show during a slide show at her actual wedding someday! Too funny. I do hope DHS keeps some of the Frozen stuff going next summer when we are there!

I did make ADRs last week too! I did not have a lot to make as my family is not big on sit down meals with the young twins. My main goal was to get a pre-rope drop breakfast at CP one of the days and I got an 8:15am one for 8 people. Yay!:tigger:

That will be perfect for her wedding! haha!

We are doing a CP pre-open too! Pretty sure it is on Saturday, June 6th. Any chance that's your date? Either way when it gets closer we should coordinate a chance to say Hi! I would love to meet you. (and get a chance to look into Will's eyes...haha! ;) ).

Where's the lunch entertainment?-PART 2
Our lunch reservation at Mama Melrose was approaching so we head towards that direction. Our one and only past dining experience at Mama Melrose was a pleasant surprise. Maybe we had low expectations because the reviews of MM don't always seem that great but our first trip was a pretty good experience and we were looking forward to returning. Although without a doubt the best part of our first experience were the actors that entertain the guests and they were absent this time. I’m not sure if they no longer have the actors running around OR if it was just an off day or time. We STILL quote some of the jokes made from that first trip so that was a big disappointment.

Our food was just ok.

It started with bread that was mediocre although oil always helps!

I like this meal because there are two affordable appetizers that make the perfect meal for me. I had the mixed greens salad and minestrone soup. I recall this soup being a bit salty but still enjoyable.

Olivia ordered a caesar salad and the spaghetti with four cheese noodles without any meat. I think this would have been much better with some veggies (or meat, if you eat that). It was just sort of too much cheese sauce.

I think Aaron ordered the Chicken Campanelle based on the allears.net menu and he felt it was kind of heavy for a hot day lunch but was ok with it.

Lucy had the buttered noodles and then we had to get the spaghetti and meatball cupcake. I don’t think anyone ate more than a bite of this but it was fun to order!

On our way back to Oaken’s we stopped at a few of the frozen photo opps!

And then spent a little time exploring Oakens. We didn’t skate or play in snow (we live in Ohio….we get to do plenty of both here in the winter!).

The girls got a few Frozen snacks. How could anyone resist a carrot cake Olaf cupcake?

When we stepped outside Oakens it was raining. So we threw on our ponchos and made our way over to our next FP.

We were all looking forward to Indiana Jones. Aaron, Lucy and I saw it in May without Olivia for the first time and with the rumors of it closing for good we wanted to be sure to see it again and for Olivia to see it. We arrived pretty early but since it was raining we just went in. They said even if the rain didn’t stop they would do a “rainy day” performance. Well….it was the rainy day performance and it was about 5 minutes long. We were all very disappointed.

Maybe it was the time we were there, but we didn't see actors entertaining the guests when we were at MM.

I can see why Olivia would want something else in with the noodles ... it looks kinda boring. The spaghetti and meatballs cupcake looks cute!

I love the Frozen pictures!

Sad that you got the shortened Indiana Jones! I've never seen it (not high on my priority list), but I'd definitely be disappointed to get the rainy day performance!

Bummer your meal wasn't better. That cupcake looks awesome though! So does the Olaf cupcake.

The family Frozen pics are all super cute!

That really stinks that you got the short version of the Indiana Jones show, especially since you wanted Olivia to see it.

I could have sworn I subscribed to this. :confused3

Well, I'm here now, and I promise to be back to read...probably tomorrow at work since I have to work until 2 and it will be super quiet.

I just read through your TR and love it! I love your style of getting up later and doing more night things. If my DH weren't a die-hard morning guy, I would try talking him into that style.

I promised to read and be back and here I am. Here we go (and I'm NOT commenting on everything or I'd be here until the New Year :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:).

An interesting way to start the trip with your airport experience. ;)

DME...I like the old video much more.

You got a lot of rides done at MK on arrival day.

It looks like a very nice pool at SSR.

Sounds like a great bus driver on your way to Epcot.

Congrats on DVC (by the way, while I'm thinking about it, you know that the Studios at Old Key West are the largest, right?).

Garden Grill...love the character photos. We weren't happy with our meal there a year ago. In fact, Mark got sick (but I now think that had something to do with his gallbladder which was removed four months after the trip).

Love the surrey bike pictures.

We've never done Saana, but I hear great things about it. We LOVE AKL and have stayed three times.

I can't believe your girls went on the Primevil Hurl ride.

Your photos on Dinosaur have me :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Fun snacks at MK.

Sorry for the delay in your contract (we hope to purchase something in the next year or two).

Carrousel of Progress...my nap ride.

I have never seen the Kiss goodnight and it is on my bucket list for May.

TOT is my favorite ride in all of Disney.

Love your DD and hubby's photopass pictures while you were off doing your ride with your other DD.

We like Mama Melrose and try to go every other year (they are very slow though with their service).

The Frozen photopass pictures were so much fun. Did you get the video one?

Okay, with that, I believe I am officially caught up. :crazy2:

June 2nd is our pre-RD breakfast. But, as we get closer, hopefully we can coordinate something!

I have never heard any great reviews of MMs, and yours did not do much to change that. How can Italian food not be amazing? They should change it to a Via Napoli! I have never been there either, but have always heard great things.

I hope you guys have a Merry Christmas! I bet you have been busy at work!

Maybe it was the time we were there, but we didn't see actors entertaining the guests when we were at MM.

I can see why Olivia would want something else in with the noodles ... it looks kinda boring. The spaghetti and meatballs cupcake looks cute!

I love the Frozen pictures!

Sad that you got the shortened Indiana Jones! I've never seen it (not high on my priority list), but I'd definitely be disappointed to get the rainy day performance!

Hmmm... I will definitely have to look into the actors at Mama Melrose. Without them I am not sure if we would return. :(

Haha...yeah Olivia's meal is partly her own fault since she modified it to be that way but it wasn't very good. Lucy is sooo not a cupcake eater but that spaghetti cupcake was too cute not to get! :)

I think the most frustrating thing about the shortened IJ performance is that is was REALLY shortened. I think in the full version they did at least 3 scenes maybe 4 and for the rainy day version it wasn't even half of the first scene. The CM we asked about it beforehand didn't lead us to believe it would be much different than the full version.

Bummer your meal wasn't better. That cupcake looks awesome though! So does the Olaf cupcake.

The family Frozen pics are all super cute!

That really stinks that you got the short version of the Indiana Jones show, especially since you wanted Olivia to see it.

Disney has a way with making all the cupcakes look amazing...whether they taste that way or not. ;)

We really enjoyed getting the Frozen pictures. It's fun to have "different" photos!

Yes we were bummed for Olivia but I guess if we hadn't seen it after all these years she will be fine having never seen it.

I could have sworn I subscribed to this. :confused3

Well, I'm here now, and I promise to be back to read...probably tomorrow at work since I have to work until 2 and it will be super quiet.

Thanks, Kathy! I've got to say you Dis'ers that can read at work are lucky!

I just read through your TR and love it! I love your style of getting up later and doing more night things. If my DH weren't a die-hard morning guy, I would try talking him into that style.

Thanks for reading (and commenting!)! This was our first trip really embracing that style and it worked VERY well for us! Plus since we were there in the summer the evening temperatures are always more enjoyable.

I promised to read and be back and here I am. Here we go (and I'm NOT commenting on everything or I'd be here until the New Year :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:).

An interesting way to start the trip with your airport experience. ;)

Ah, yes! I always seem to be lucky like that.
DME...I like the old video much more.

For some reason I rarely pay attention to the DME on the way in so I don't have a strong opinion like some people do.

You got a lot of rides done at MK on arrival day.

Arrival day is always considered bonus time to me so it's great when it turns out so great!

It looks like a very nice pool at SSR.

We really enjoyed the pool....especially on that first morning when it wasn't busy at all.

Sounds like a great bus driver on your way to Epcot.

He was the best!

Congrats on DVC (by the way, while I'm thinking about it, you know that the Studios at Old Key West are the largest, right?).

Thank you!! Yes I did know that and we are staying there in June, split stay-3 nights BLT studio and 6 nights OKW studio...can't wait. Both are new resorts for us so we are very excited.

Garden Grill...love the character photos. We weren't happy with our meal there a year ago. In fact, Mark got sick (but I now think that had something to do with his gallbladder which was removed four months after the trip).

Garden Grill is one of those that you often hear mixed reviews of but we really enjoyed it. So far I haven't booked it for June but it's on my maybe list.
Love the surrey bike pictures.

Thanks!

We've never done Saana, but I hear great things about it. We LOVE AKL and have stayed three times.

Oh my...you have to try Saana! We are doing a short stay at AKL in February (to use up expiring points that came with our DVC contract). I think we are skipping Saana and just doing Boma breakfast but I might change my mind on that one.
I can't believe your girls went on the Primevil Hurl ride.

Haha! I will usually ride it once too (not twice in a row...you only make that mistake once. :lmao: )
Your photos on Dinosaur have me :lmao::lmao::lmao:

We had so much fun and defiantly the way this trip will be remembered

Fun snacks at MK.

Sorry for the delay in your contract (we hope to purchase something in the next year or two).

SO happy its behind us! It was a huge hassle but thankfully worked out in the end and we saved sooo much money by buying resale. Good luck when you look at purchasing.
Carrousel of Progress...my nap ride.

I have never seen the Kiss goodnight and it is on my bucket list for May.

Awe you must! I just told Aaron tonight in February on one of our MK nights it closes at 8pm so that will be a perfect night to "stay late" to see the kiss goodnight.

TOT is my favorite ride in all of Disney.

Probably mine too! :thumbsup2

Love your DD and hubby's photopass pictures while you were off doing your ride with your other DD.

Thanks!

We like Mama Melrose and try to go every other year (they are very slow though with their service).

We loved it the first time we went but it was lacking for us this trip. We may try it again (partly because we don't really like any DHS dining options) but probably not for a few years.
The Frozen photopass pictures were so much fun. Did you get the video one?

No video. I think a lot of those videos started shortly after our trip (or we just missed it?).
Okay, with that, I believe I am officially caught up. :crazy2:

Nice work! :coffee:

June 2nd is our pre-RD breakfast. But, as we get closer, hopefully we can coordinate something!

I have never heard any great reviews of MMs, and yours did not do much to change that. How can Italian food not be amazing? They should change it to a Via Napoli! I have never been there either, but have always heard great things.

I hope you guys have a Merry Christmas! I bet you have been busy at work!

Yes we will have to coordinate. :)

Haha...we didn't love Via Napoli the one time we went either BUT since it is so popular I want to give it another chance. Maybe in June?

We did have a nice Christmas but I'm relieved that it is over. Yes I worked a few crazy shifts leading up to Christmas but now my hours are drastically cut and of course I am super sad over that. Hope yours was great too!

Frozen Sing A Long and Fireworks! Going out with a bang!-PART 3

We left off with our disappointing Indiana Jones performance. BUT it was our last night and we had a lot to still do so we weren’t going to let rain stop us. We put our ponchos back on and made our way to our Toy Story Mania for our final FP. Say what you want about FP+ but it has made park touring SO much better for late park arrivers. We never would have gotten a FP for TSMM under the old system given our later park arrival.

Lucy and I had to take a few ride selfies.

After TSMM we decided to line up for our Frozen Sign A Long. I’d say we waited about a half hour. We probably didn’t need to line up so early but it was one of those situations where you don’t really have enough time to do anything else.

There were some great “movie” posters in the que area. As a big Wall-E fan this one was my favorite.

We all enjoyed the Sing A Long. I was really impressed. While it didn’t bother me, the actors made several mistakes and it just didn’t seem quite as polished as most Disney performances but I am sure that was because of a rushed production to get it going.

*Here is where I explain my very early (travel day) foreshadowing. Instantly I knew that one of the performers in the sing a long was Gus, the bus driver from the new DME video. We were amazed that we found him!!* I only took one (terrible) iphone picture but you can see that it is him on the left.

After the Sing A Long, Lucy and I went on the Great Movie Ride (one of Lucy’s all time favorites) while Olivia and Aaron went over to Star Tours. Aaron has never rode Star Tours and Olivia and I have only once (in 2007 at Disneyland). We aren’t Star Wars people, yet anyways, so we just always skip it. Plus I am a bit scared of motion type rides and the possiblity of getting dizzy. I was willing to give it a try but Lucy didn’t want to so I happily agreed to the GMR.

On the way back from Star Tours Aaron and Olivia took this picture. It was a surprise for me when I was viewing our Photopass pictures at home! It was a pleasant surprise since we hadn’t seen Guardians at the time of our trip but ended up enjoying it a lot!

We were kind of at a borderline hungry point and decided to go to Catalina Eddies on Sunset Blvd for some quick “Disney” pizza.

After the pizza we staked out our spot for the Frozen fireworks and posed for our last sorcerer hat picture!

At some point while we were waiting Aaron and Lucy went to get her a funnel cake. For those of you counting this might have been her 4th dessert of the day but hey it was our last night of vacation so I was letting her live it up. What you eat at Disney stays at Disney, or something like that….

Still waiting....

The Frozen fireworks were really good and enjoyed by all! I was feeling unbelievably lucky to have experienced both the SWW fireworks in May and now the Frozen fireworks in August. And I must say I really hope they continue to do this!

After the show we battled the crowd and made our way to Fantasmic! Fantasmic is a show we all love but rarely see especially during our early Disney vacationing “career”. I would kind of like to make this a last night tradition although we often end our trips at MK so I don’t think that would work out for us but I still love the idea.

After the show was over we stopped by a few stores, mostly for some last minute pin trading and of course dreading the inevitable goodbye to our last Disney park for the trip.

Once we finally make our way out we are (for the second time this trip!) the only family on the bus. The girls took a selfie:

And then a picture of us which ended up being another one that I really love my expression. I think I have such an exhausted, happy yet sad look to me. It just really takes me back to the emotion of that moment.

Our driver forwent the other bus stops and just dropped us off at our stop which was nice. 

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter