"We Ain't From Around Here!"-The South Does Disney! A Dec PTR Update 1/11-Prizes!

When do you think we should leave for Disney?

• December 25! Don't take the risk of missing the Wishes Dessert Party because the park is full!

• December 26! Don't give up sleep and family time! You should be fine getting into the park!

Results are only viewable after voting.

therussells08

Roger, Simba One!
Hello one and all and welcome to my very first PTR! :welcome:
I am a new face on the DIS but I have been a Disney addict for three fabulous years. I didn't start going to Disney until I was already 20 years old, but I fell in love! :love: I have very big plans for this PTR. I have been inspired by all of the wonderful reports I have read here and I realize I have pretty big shoes to fill. :scared: But I'm going to do my very best and hopefully this will be an entertaining and exciting PTR. My goals for this are as follows:
1.) to help pass the many long months until my trip
2.) to help me make some new friends here at the DIS! :goodvibes

So...let's get started with some of the basics. Or as Donny Osmond says in my favorite Disney song EVER- "Let's get down to business..."

Okay so we're not going to be defeating any Huns but I am going to start telling you about my trip!

When?
December 26 2010-January 2 2011

Where?
Disney's Pop Century Resort

You will have to wait until my next post for the Who? portion because I'm very long winded! (Also the Grey's Anatomy season finale is getting ready to start! WOO!! popcorn::)

Up Next: Who are the crazy people going on a trip to WDW during the busiest time of the year? (Including the story behind my title!)

Okay everyone I have faith that eventually my little PTR will be discovered and followed by many! :rotfl: I'm here to tell any possible lurkers I might have (I hope I hope!) that I will be back tonight to update with my cast of characters for this PTR and the story of how it all came to be. :woohoo:

See ya real soon! :earsboy:

I'm back! Did you miss me? *cricket* :rotfl: Alright, I'm holding strong to my belief that all of my loyal followers are making their way to my PTR as we speak. :rolleyes1 So let's get this show on the road so they will have plenty to read when they get here!
And now..the first of many moments you have been waiting for...drum roll please...pixiedust:
THE CAST!
I'm going to split my introduction of the cast into the North and the South. I will explain all of this later when I explain how this trip came to be.

So let's begin with the South!

ptr3.jpg

Me: Hello! :wave2: My name is Joni and I am a 23 year old high school English teacher. :teacher: I love teaching and for some reason unbeknownst to me (and all of my elementary school teacher friends) I love those crazy teenagers! :lmao: My favorite Disney quote of all time is "Teenagers. They think they know everything. You give them an inch, they swim all over you." Can you name what movie that is from? Come on, it's an easy one!

Anyway, I was born and raised in beautiful NC. I am a true Southern girl through and through. I am obsessed with any and everything Disney, especially WDW! I took my first trip to the World in 2007 (more on that later!) and after that I was hooked. I am also obsessed with Patrick Swayze. I loved that man from the moment I first saw him in Ghost when I was three years old. :love: If you notice the grammatical incorrectness in my title, that is a direct reference to Patrick Swayze. Technically it should say "North and South do Disney". However, it says does because I am referring to the "North and South" miniseries that Patrick Swayze starred in during the 80s. See what I did there? :laughing: Anyway, I was severely destroyed when Patrick died last year. Enough on that before I start crying. :sad1:

My other obsessions include: Full House, Betty White, scrapbooking, reading, saying "the point is moot," and collecting Disney pins.

My pet peeves include: babies in denim jackets, overpriced yard sales, and people who make loud smacky noises with their mouths when chewing. :mad:

You will learn a lot more about me as the PTR progresses, so let's move on for now to....

ptr4.jpg

DH: This is my super wonderful husband, John! He is 24 years old and a soldier in the US Army. We started dating when I was just a freshman in high school and have been together ever since. :lovestruc He is the most amazing man I have ever met and I am so lucky to be married to him. He truly makes me twitterpated everytime I see him. :love: Like me, John was born and raised in NC. His country accent is the cutest thing on this planet, trust me. :laughing:

It was during John's first leave from Iraq that we went to WDW for the first time. He now loves it just as much as I do, although he might be inclined to deny that fact. But he never seems to object when I suggest we take our next vacation there. :rolleyes: I always laugh because John is covered in tattoos and tough as nails, but he always melts the minute he drives under that beautiful sign welcoming us to the happiest place on Earth. It's like you can literally watch the little kid in him coming out to play. :goodvibes

John loves everything Star Wars. :darth: He is also a big Indiana Jones fan.

His pet peeves include: mayonaise, people who lick food off of their fingers, and people who take drinks into the bathroom with them. :rotfl:

Here is a picture of us together at the beach last week:

ptr2.jpg

I will tell you more about us later, don't worry. ;) I just wanted to give you a short introduction about who we are. Originally it was just going to be the two of us going on this trip, but last week our plans changed dramatically!

Up Next: Who are these Northerners joining us on our trip and how did these new plans come to be? Stay tuned! :tink:

I'm here! :) I didn't make it to WDW until I was 19, so I completely understand about the late love :teeth:

YAY!!! :welcome: I am so excited that you are here! Thank you so much for reading my first PTR!

I told my mom after my first trip to Disney that is was cruel and unusual punishment for my parents to deny me the joys of Disney World as a child. :rotfl: But I don't really mind, because everytime I go it's like I'm a big kid all over again! :goodvibes

YAY!!! :welcome: I am so excited that you are here! Thank you so much for reading my first PTR!

I told my mom after my first trip to Disney that is was cruel and unusual punishment for my parents to deny me the joys of Disney World as a child. :rotfl: But I don't really mind, because everytime I go it's like I'm a big kid all over again! :goodvibes

LOL, you're welcome :) Honestly, reading PTR's and TR's gives me something to do when I'm at work. Stupid night shift :rotfl:

My family never had the money to go when we were kids, and the only reason I went when I did was the College Program they have at WDW. So, my first time seeing the Castle, I was a CM :lmao: Your trip looks like it's going to be fun so far! We're actually arriving three days after you leave :goodvibes

LOL, you're welcome :) Honestly, reading PTR's and TR's gives me something to do when I'm at work. Stupid night shift :rotfl:

My family never had the money to go when we were kids, and the only reason I went when I did was the College Program they have at WDW. So, my first time seeing the Castle, I was a CM :lmao: Your trip looks like it's going to be fun so far! We're actually arriving three days after you leave :goodvibes

That is so cool that you were a CM! What was your favorite job to do?

It sounds like you are coming at the perfect time! We are gearing up to deal with those holiday crowds, but by the time you get there it might be calming down a little! :thumbsup2

That is so cool that you were a CM! What was your favorite job to do?

It sounds like you are coming at the perfect time! We are gearing up to deal with those holiday crowds, but by the time you get there it might be calming down a little! :thumbsup2

My favorite was being in custodial. You're basically a walking information desk, and there's just SO MUCH guest interaction. You're also pretty much left to your own devices all day.

Yeah, the holiday crowds are insane. Definitely utilize FastPass and, if you want to pay the money, go with Tourguide Mike's touring plans or something. I think there's a link to his site on one of the boards on here, but I've heard that they're definitely worth the money :flower3:

My favorite was being in custodial. You're basically a walking information desk, and there's just SO MUCH guest interaction. You're also pretty much left to your own devices all day.

Yeah, the holiday crowds are insane. Definitely utilize FastPass and, if you want to pay the money, go with Tourguide Mike's touring plans or something. I think there's a link to his site on one of the boards on here, but I've heard that they're definitely worth the money :flower3:

That sounds like such an amazing job!!

Thank you so much for the advice. I will definitely look into that! Anything to help us deal with the crowds! At least we won't have to worry about the heat! :laughing:

Hii!! I just recently started a PTR too and I love new DIS friends!!

We stayed at POP last December; it was fantastic! We had some cruddy weather, but other than that, everything was great. Such a pretty, pretty time of year to go!

I'm a true southern girl, too. Texas born and bred. (But no, I do not say howdy, ya'll, etc. I'm going to law school next year and figured I might as well break those Texas trademarks years ago, ya hear? :lmao:)

Oh, and DH is a high school English teacher too! (Well, he's hoping to find a job. Teaching jobs are difficult to land right now in our area.)

Again, welcome! I'd love to help with any advice I can!

Hii!! I just recently started a PTR too and I love new DIS friends!!

We stayed at POP last December; it was fantastic! We had some cruddy weather, but other than that, everything was great. Such a pretty, pretty time of year to go!

I'm a true southern girl, too. Texas born and bred. (But no, I do not say howdy, ya'll, etc. I'm going to law school next year and figured I might as well break those Texas trademarks years ago, ya hear? :lmao:)

Oh, and DH is a high school English teacher too! (Well, he's hoping to find a job. Teaching jobs are difficult to land right now in our area.)

Again, welcome! I'd love to help with any advice I can!

I literally just finished subscribing to your PTR when I saw you wrote this! :rotfl: I guess great minds think alike! Thank you for checking mine out!

I know what you mean about the accent...if I say "ya'll" in front of my students they never let me live it down. :laughing:

I hope that your DH is able to find a permanent job soon! Tell him I said good luck! :)

Thank you for offering your advice! I am sure I will need it...this is my first trip at Christmas time and I know the crowds are going to be epic! :scared1:

Are you on Facebook? I chat with a few other ladies that I've met on the DIS on FB (or G-Chat) quite often! (I've met one of them in real life, and she's a good friend now!)

You can PM me the link to your profile and I'll add ya, if you'd like! (DH works late nights, so I have a lot of spare time when I'm not studying for the LSAT!)

Are you on Facebook? I chat with a few other ladies that I've met on the DIS on FB (or G-Chat) quite often! (I've met one of them in real life, and she's a good friend now!)

You can PM me the link to your profile and I'll add ya, if you'd like! (DH works late nights, so I have a lot of spare time when I'm not studying for the LSAT!)

Yes I am on Facebook! I would love to be friends! :banana: I love meeting other Disney lovers! I am going to send you a PM in just a minute!

Subbing! I would love to go after Christmas sometime, but they say it's really crowded, and I'm afraid that if we wait till after New Years, all the Christmas stuff will be down. You'll have to let us know what's still up your last few days there! I'm looking forward to following along, I also work an overnight shift (though hopefully not much longer) and Iam always desperately bored!

Subbing! I would love to go after Christmas sometime, but they say it's really crowded, and I'm afraid that if we wait till after New Years, all the Christmas stuff will be down. You'll have to let us know what's still up your last few days there! I'm looking forward to following along, I also work an overnight shift (though hopefully not much longer) and Iam always desperately bored!

:welcome: I'm so glad you're joining in! Hopefully this will help pass the time at work some! ;)

I have never been at this time of year and I'm really nervous about the crowds, but since I'm a teacher and DH is in the Army our choices are pretty limited. I'm hoping that the cool weather will make the crowds bearable. We went during the 4th of July for our honeymoon and the mixture of heat and crowds was almost too much to stand. :eek:

Hello again everyone! :wave2: I'm so excited to see that I've picked up a few readers since my last post! :woohoo: I'm happy to have you all reading my PTR!

Before I get back to business, I have to take a little detour. Two very important members of my family are extremely angry with me because I forgot to mention them yesterday. :guilty: So here they are folks. I'd like to introduce you to my children, Adora Bella (we just call her Bella) and Miss Vida Boheme (we just call her Vida):

ptr5.jpg

Bella is the one sitting up and Vida is the one lying down. They are 1 year old maltipoos and they are my babies. :lovestruc Did anyone notice the Patrick Swayze reference? Extra credit if you know which movie Vida's name came from! Anyone? Anyone? :rotfl:

Expect more pictures of my dogs to pepper these posts because I am seriously obsessed with them. :rolleyes1

Alright now it's time to get back to the important business at hand.

The Supporting Cast! (I.E- The North!)

First I have to tell you that originally this trip was just going to be for me and DH. We have been to Disney alone several times and we always have a great trip. We took my sister in 2009 (more on that later) and had a lot of fun too, but she has to work and won't be able to go with us this time. So we were pretty much settled into our plans.

That is until two weekends ago, May 8th. For the past two years my family and I have been getting together for a family reunion at a place called Pawleys Island. It is a beautiful private beach about thirty minutes away from Myrtle Beach, SC. My neighbor owns a huge house there and she has let us use it for free these past two years. It's my second favorite place on Earth after WDW. :cloud9: Here's a picture for you:
ptr6.jpg

Gorgeous, isn't it? :lovestruc Anyway, this is a really important trip for me because pretty much my entire family besides my mom, dad and sister live in either Pennsylvania or Ohio and we hardly ever get to see them. (My dad grew up in PA and this is our family on his side I'm talking about.) Not everyone gets to come, but most people do and we usually end up with about 25 people in the house at all times. :grouphug:

Last year one of my cousins that didn't get to come was Josh. He is my dad's sister's youngest son. I hadn't seen him in several years. But I was super excited this year because he we coming and he was bringing his longtime girlfriend, Wendy. I had never met her and I couldn't wait! :woohoo:

When Josh and Wendy arrived I instantly loved her. But then something truly amazing happened. I started talking to her and realized that I had just met my soul sister. Wendy is equally obsessed with Full House. She's the only other person I have ever met who has every episode on DVD. And...wait a minute...what's this? SHE LOVES DISNEY WORLD! I couldn't believe my ears. :banana:

So, long story short (well not really short, sorry!) John and I talked and decided it would be awesome if Josh and Wendy could come to Disney with us! We ran the idea by them and they were on board! At first we were afraid Wendy wouldn't be able to get off work, but she just emailed me a few days ago and said all systems are go!! :hyper: And so begins the most exciting trip to Disney of my life. Not only am I going to my happy place with my awesome DH, but now I get to go with my wonderful cousin and his amazing girlfriend, too!! Here is a picture of them:

ptr.jpg

Up Next: A fond look back to my first trip to WDW, with a HILARIOUS picture from my first ride on a certain scary attraction. Which could it be? Stay tuned! :wizard:

Hi everyone! I'm feeling a little blue today. Mondays are always no fun for me because DH goes back to work, which means I won't get to see him until the weekend. :sad: He is stationed about two hours from where I currently live. I can't move because of work, so I am alone during the week. It could be a lot worse though! While I was still in college he was stationed in ALASKA and we only saw each other every six months or so. It was awful! And I don't even want to talk about when he was in Iraq. That was misery! :eek: So anyway, I figured a trip down memory lane would be the perfect way to perk myself up!

Our First Trip To WDW!

Picture it...Disney World...2007. (Sorry, I need to lay of the Golden Girls reruns! :rotfl:)

DH (well, he was my fiancee then, so DF I guess?) had been in Iraq for a 9 long months and he was getting ready to come home for leave. It was up to me to plan our perfect getaway. :scared1: The pressure was on! I had been trying to figure out somewhere we would both love, and up until then I had been looking at Washington DC. It sounded fun, but it didn't sound like the dream vacation I had in mind. Then my dear sweet mother had an idea. :idea: She said, "why don't you go to Disney World?" and I said "WHOOPEE!!!!" because that was the best idea ever!

So the plans were made! We were going to be staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort from May 7-14. :cloud9: Now keep in mind this was our second reservations made. The initial trip was planned for a week earlier, but DH's leave got postponed and we had to change the dates. I was so stressed, but Disney was awesome about it and didn't give us any trouble considering the circumstances. :thumbsup2

Well, DH came home for his leave on May 4th. Here's a picture of our joyous airport reunion!

ptr10.jpg

We had planned to rent a car and leave on the 6th, driving most of the way and staying overnight somewhere, then finishing the drive the next day. But we were so happy to see each other and so excited for our trip that we decided to leave a day early! :woohoo: We hit the road on May 5th. :drive:

Our first stop was Charleston, SC. Since we didn't leave until the afternoon it was getting pretty late by this point and we decided to stop and check out the historic downtown area. We found a cheap hotel (I LOVE military discounts! :worship:) and headed downtown. We had never been here before and we were kind of winging it, so when we stumbled across Bubba Gump Shrimp we decided to stop for a bite. We loved it!

ptr12.jpg

ptr13.jpg

After our yummy meal we walked around Charleston for a bit and goofed off.

ptr14.jpg

The next morning we went to one of my FAVORITE places on the planet- Boonehall Plantation!

ptr16.jpg

ptr15.jpg

Remember when I told you I am obsessed with Patrick Swayze? Well, I really wasn't kidding. This is the place where the "North and South" miniseries was filmed. It's where Orry Main (Patrick Swayze) lived! :lovestruc It's so beautiful there, and I couldn't believe I was walking on the same ground that Patrick Swayze had walked!

So after I spent the morning swooning, we hit the road and drove (and drove...and drove...and drove....) until I couldn't stand being in the car anymore!

ptr17.jpg

We decided to stop and stay at St. Augustine beach in Florida. We found an amazing hotel that was really cheap because it was the off season. (And because of that military discount! :woohoo:)

ptr18.jpg

The next morning we took some pictures of the beach.

ptr19.jpg

ptr20.jpg

It was beautiful, but sooo windy! :scared1: Then we headed to some nearby outlets. DH had some deployment money burning a hole in his pocket, so he bought himself some Oakley sunglasses and me a Coach purse! :goodvibes Then we hit the road. That afternoon we finally arrived in DISNEY WORLD! :hyper:

Okay, I didn't mean for this to turn into a full blown TR, but it looks like it has! Forgive me, but I have seven more months to get through! I need to drag this out!

Up Next: Our first moments in WDW! Plus- that hilarious picture I mentioned. Any guesses about what ride scared the daylights out of me?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter