• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We did it again! Family of 4 eats for $75 a day. Read all about it, plus reviews!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NvrBnToWDW

Mouseketeer
Well, we did this last year and I didn't think we could do it again, but I was wrong. I didn't say no to anything and we ate until satisfied every day for an average of $75. Some days were under and some over, so I averaged the total for the week. We spent $525.68 (including tips and tax) and averaged over 7 days is $75.09 per day :teacher: . Now, when I wrote our meals last year, I got a lot of flaming feedback :sad2: about our food choices, and hopefully it doesn't happen again. Yes, we ate a lot of chicken, burgers and pizza, but hey, it's DisneyWorld! We are a one-income family with a $20 a week dining out budget and the other 3-meals a day, 6-days a week, I'm the one cooking :stir: . And we are very healthy and eat healthy. We do the whole 3-a-day dairy, whole grains only, fruit and veggies with every meal and all that good stuff. So, it's part of the magic :wizard: of Disney to eat out junk for a whole week. And you'll see one of my sons eat pizza about every day :banana: , and it's a big treat for him. At home, I make the pizza with whole wheat dough, low-fat cheese and wheat germ in the crust. So, to tell you the truth, if it means a whole week without me cooking and washing the dishes :cheer2: , I really don't care what they eat. Let them eat cake! (for breakfast if they want) :thumbsup2

FAMILY:

DH: 30 YEARS
ME: 28 YEARS
DS1: 12 YEARS
DS2: 10 YEARS

I never planned on this amount, I figured closer to $100 per day, but both trips it just came out that way. I actually didn't figure out the prices till we got home and I added up our receipts.

DAY ONE (SATURDAY):

Lunch: Planet Hollywood

2 Kid's Chicken Crunch w/fries $15.90
Me & DH shared:
1 Chicken Crunch appetizer 8.45
1 BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger w/fry 11.95
1 Cola 2.75
3 ice waters 0
$45.59

Dinner: Everything POP

1 Large Pepperoni Pizza $15.38
2 Rice Krispy Treats 5.38
1 Choc. chip cookie 1.89

SATURDAY'S TOTAL========================$69.71

REVIEWS:
Planet Hollywood-The atmosphere was great, plenty of memorabilia to look at. A little scary to see automobiles hanging above you suspended from cables while you eat. Now, I had heard a lot about the chicken strips and they were way overrated. None of us like the flavor of the breading, a little too sweet for our tastebuds, but the BBQ burger was excellent! The sauce was delicious! The fries were okay, kind of bland. A took a little long to be served.

POP-The pizza took forever, apparently they forgot to put the order in and just kept making the individual sizes. I stood there for 25 minutes and got a pizza with crispy, (burned) pepperonis, but I wasn't about to wait for them to make another. So, we just ate it, despite the top it was good, or we were just very hungry.

Thanks for posting about this again. Ireally enjoyed reading last year how you guys were able to eat for $75 per day.
I noticed how some people reacted at your food choice and thought that was awful. I agree, vacation is just that, vacation from the ordinary and usual!

Breakfast: EVERYTHING POP

2 Kid's Pancake w/ bacon or sausage $7.18
Me & DH shared:
1 Adult Breakfast Platter 5.59

Lunch: COSMIC RAY'S

2 Chicken strips only $9.78
1 Chic. strip w/fry 6.69
1 Cheeseburger w/fry 5.89
4 ice waters 0

Snack: Main Street Bakery

1 Cherry turnover $1.89
1 Choc. chip cookie 1.59

Dinner: CASEY'S CORNER

1 Corn dog nuggets $3.59
1 Grand slam hot dog (1/4 lb) 3.99
1 seasoned fries 1.89

TURKEY LEG CART

1 Turkey leg $5.75

SUNDAY'S TOTAL==========================$56.98

REVIEWS:
POP-Loved the breakfast! Everthing was fresh and delicious!

Cosmic Ray's- One of our favorite places. Always too crowded, we found a table with no chairs outside, then one by one gathered enough chairs to sit on. Food was great though, now these are chicken strips! Toppings bar is great to add to burger or cheese sauce for fries.
Main St. Bakery-The greatest desserts, you can't come to WDW without going there!

Casey's Corner- Hot dogs are huge! And finally, we found some fries with flavor!

Turkey Leg Cart- These are so good! Tender all the way through to the bone. Extremely hot when they hand them to you and you'll need lots of napkins. No chewy, stringy parts and no tough skin, these were fabulous! I shared with DS because it was huge!

That is great! We were on the DDP this year, so we ate like kings! I know that we probably spent more than we would have otherwise, but I have never felt so stuffed in my entire life and I love food!

One way we usually save money is to bring a suitcase full of food (non-perishable of course). We bring individual cereal boxes, disposable bowls & spoons and then just get a container of milk at the Food Court each morning. Great way to save money and also not deal with grumpy sleepy kids having to get dressed and go down for breakfast!

We also pack lots of individually packaged fruit snacks, nuts, gum, jerky, etc... We also bring Cup O Noodles and use hot water from a small coffeemaker. It's a filling between meals snack, great for when the kids are hungry after swimming, but it's not quite time for ADR's yet!

Just like you I don't want to spend my vacation cooking. But it can be a real budget saver to bring some things!

When we are on vacation, we are on VACATION!!! I let my kids eat any and everything. Our annual WDW trip is an escape from everyday life and all everyday rules go out the window. Our only vacation rules are to be respectful of others and don't do anything that would hurt yourself or others, or be very obviously rude. Other than that it's pretty much anything goes and I really don't care what other's think!

This year I even had a frozen slushee from our refillable cup with my breakfast!! My 7yo DS didn't brush his hair the entire 7 days, his only showers consisted of spraying off in the shower before swimming! My 14yo DD had tie-dye cheesecake 3 times in one day!!! So I'm glad to know that I'm not the only Mom that lets my kids do things like that on vacation. Life is for living and having fun, it is all too short. I take each day and try to make the absolute best of it and when I'm on vacation I really make the best of it!! To be honest I think we have a lot more fun that many of the families I see at WDW. But my kids are aware, once we are back home, our rules are back in place. I think it really gives them something to look foward to all year and then not complain so much about rules :) :) :)

Great reviews! I look forward to hearing more about your dining experience. One thing you did that I think is one of the best ways to save money on food at disney is not buying soda. The drinks add so much to the cost of a meal-for a family of 4 it would be nearly $10 for sodas! Sounds like lots of good food so far!

You only left a $4 tip at Planet Hollywood?!? Ouch! That's less than 10% of your bill. I would have left at least $8 -- waitstaff work hard and deserve 20% IMHO.

Breakfast: In-Room

(Oatmeal bars, cereal bars, etc.)

Lunch: SCI-FI DINE-IN THEATER

1 Kid's burger w/fry meal $4.99
1 Kid's cheeseburger w/fry meal 4.99
1 Chocolate shake 3.49
1 Root beer float 2.99
Me & DH shared:
1 Rib plate 16.99
1 BBQ Chicken sandwich 14.19
2 Colas 4.38

Dinner: EVERYTHING POP

1 Individual Pepperoni Pizza $5.89
2 Kid's Penne pasta w/meatball 7.98
1 Chicken Alfredo 7.99

Snack: ICE CREAM CART

2 Ice cream bars $5.00
2 Bottled waters 4.00

MONDAY'S TOTAL=======================$87.69

REVIEWS:
Sci-Fi Dine-In- Atmosphere was great! Really enjoyed the BBQ grilled chicken sandwich. Will eat here every time.

POP- I had the kid's penne pasta with meatball and it's quite filling. You can substitute the applesauce for a breadstick and save the little Mickey crackers for the flight home.

married@wdw said:
You only left a $4 tip at Planet Hollywood?!? Ouch! That's less than 10% of your bill. I would have left at least $8 -- waitstaff work hard and deserve 20% IMHO.

Actually we were with another party and we pooled our tips together, and to tell the truth our waitress was really hard to track down, no refill checks and you could see her in another area just gabbing with another waitress.

WDWAurora said:
Great reviews! I look forward to hearing more about your dining experience. One thing you did that I think is one of the best ways to save money on food at disney is not buying soda. The drinks add so much to the cost of a meal-for a family of 4 it would be nearly $10 for sodas! Sounds like lots of good food so far!

We actually buy the souvenir mugs, but that's in our souvenir budget, not our food budget. We purchase two mugs this year and brought the two from last year, actually it was less than a year ago, so I don't feel too bad. And I know a lot of people are opposed to this, but I even saw someone with a mug that said 1998 in huge numbers on it.

I think the OP was just wanting to tell us about how she ate cheap at Disney and not have someone criticize how much she tipped. Tipping is a personal thing based on service in my opinion, I don't always leave 20%, sometimes more and sometimes much less. If thats all you are reading this thread for then move on! Continue NvrBnToWDW, I am curious to see the rest of your days!!!

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup2 I am not going to critique your food choices or tipping practices.

If I ever want unsolicited advice, I usually go to MIL...but it looks like you can get it here, too. :rolleyes1

SnowWhite said:
I think the OP was just wanting to tell us about how she ate cheap at Disney and not have someone criticize how much she tipped. Tipping is a personal thing based on service in my opinion, I don't always leave 20%, sometimes more and sometimes much less. If thats all you are reading this thread for then move on! Continue NvrBnToWDW, I am curious to see the rest of your days!!!

:thumbsup2 Well said, I want to read about the reviews!!! ;)

Breakfast: POP

1 Cinnamon roll $2.59
1 side sausage 1.89
1 Kid's pancake platter 3.59
Me & DH shared:
1 Adult breakfast platter 5.59
1 POP waffle platter 5.69

Lunch: FLAME TREE BBQ

Me, DH & DS1 shared:
2 Rib meals with corn and beans $16.98
1 seasoned fry basket 3.49
Key lime pie FREE

TURKEY LEG CART

1 Turkey leg $5.85

Dinner: POP

1 Cheese pizza $5.59
1 Pepperoni pizza 5.89
1 Double cheeseburger w/fry 6.89
1 extra bun 0
1 cheese fry 2.64

Snack: POP

1 Cheesecake w/strawberry top $3.59
1 Ice cream bar 3.00
1 bag Choc. maltballs 4.50

TUESDAY'S TOTAL============================$81.74

REVIEWS:
Flame Tree-The best BBQ ribs in the parks! The pie was free because the cashier had pressed the wrong button and just as they were about to throw it away, I said "We'll take it!" and so they gave it to us. It was great, and not just cause it was free!

I'm enjoying reading this but wanted to mention for an extra $25 per day you could do the dining plan.

I'm actually glad Married@Disney spoke up. I would never criticize someone's food choices and agree we should eat what we like on vacation, but undertipping or stiffing servers is not an acceptable way to save money, IMO. A lot those servers are hard-working parents with children of their own to feed. However, the OP never said she set out to to save in this manner and I suspect the amount spent at the Sci Fi was just an error.

I'm enjoying all the reviews, too.

Breakfast: In-room
(cereal bars, etc.)

Lunch: EPCOT
CANADA
9 pc. Chicken McNuggets $3.99
UK
Fish and chips 7.99
MEXICO
Me & DH shared:
Chicken Taco platter w/rice & beans 7.50
Guacamole 2.59
Tortilla chips 2.50
Lemonade 1.99

Snack: FRANCE BAKERY

1 Creme Puff $2.95
1 Strawberry mousse 3.70

ICE CREAM CART
1 Cookie sandwich 2.50

Dinner: POP
2 cheeseburgers $8.18
Bag of chips 2.39
Nestea 1.87
Pepperoni pizza 5.89
Kid's Penne pasta w/meatball 3.99

WEDNESDAY'S TOTAL======================$61.67

REVIEWS:
Fish & chips-fish was good, but chips (fries) were bland.

San Angel is not exactly what I'd call Mexican food, but it's edible. The chicken tacos were good, but the rice was dry and hard and I just can't eat black beans, they taste like starch. I can't believe I paid $2.50 for a little bowl of tortilla chips, you can buy a whole bag for that price. The guacamole was in a tiny, plastice container, barely larger than the syrup at POP.

I think we chose badly at the France Bakery. The creme puff dough was extremely tough and the mousse, which I fantasied for months about tasted like the whipped yogurts from the grocery store, very tart.

married@wdw said:
OK -- if you add up your Sci-Fi bill, you left a $.26 tip!!!

Just wanted to clarify that I have added it several times and not come up with this figure. I didn't begin to think to add it up until I read this post. I believe that they left over $5.00. If it is not what you would do, great. I do agree that it is not the point of the post though. I personally want to thank the OP for bothering to keep these records. I enjoy seeing how others can make Disney work on a Budget.

married@wdw said:
OK -- if you add up your Sci-Fi bill, you left a $.26 tip!!!

I edited my Sci-fi with a tip. I forget because I used my room card for the bills and paid cash for tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter