We had a disgusting episode at Rose & Crown.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
afcgirl said:
What age were the children you taught? If the kids you taught were in elementary school or older, then I can understand you not running into so-called "pukers". But I can guarantee if you taught preschoolers, you would have witnessed a puke-fest. Not a week went by that someone didn't puke or poop in their pants at my son's preschool. And they were not necessarily sick, they sometimes ate too much or had strong gag reflexes.

Believe me, little kids who do not puke are the exception, not the norm.

3-6 years old (Montessori) in two different schools/states (NY and MA.) Never had any poop in the pants either. They were toilet trained if they were at school.

Yacht Club Family said:
One of the most distressing problems in our society today is lack of compassion and a general unwillingness to try to understand things from others' points of view. Guess I'd rather be a role model to my kids regarding compassion and composure than freak them out by being a "germ queen" or whatever it was and teach them to sit in judgment of people so readily.

Then, again... that's just my opinion. :rolleyes1

Well said! :thumbsup2

That's why! They are montessori kids. The gentle craft of teaching children to pour rice from cup to cup prevents vomiting. ;)

I have 3 children, and if my child had vomited in a restaurant, or anywhere else I would have left, I'm not arguing about that, I was simply saying that we are awful quick to judge others without knowing the circumstances. My 11 year old tends to get nervous about new rides. When we were there in April we rode Expedition Everest. He had been excited to ride this attraction since he first heard about it, we looked at the pictures online, when we got there, we got FP's for the ride. When we finally got in line he freaked out. Now I know my son, he does this- he gets nervous, and when he's nervous he cries. A little odd, but we're used to it. So I brought him through the que- and the whole time there were comments about the fact that I was "forcing" him to ride, and so on..but in fact, to this day he tells everyone how it was his favorite ride, and thanks me for not letting him turn "chicken". Now the people in line didn't know how excited he'd been to go on this ride or his penchant for freaking himself out, but I did. So people judged me, but they were wrong about it. So your impression, while your own, may not be totally correct or acurate. And to post it on this site as though your version of events is the only version, is wrong. You certainly are entitled to your opinion, as am I.

We never know the whole story, even if we are there. It must have been an unpleasant experince, no one can argue that. I am also a sympathy vomiter. I cannot hear it, see it or smell it.

My father has his masters degree in Nuclear Medicine, he has studied microbiology, and everytime he comes to my house he throws out my Purell, my antibacterial soap, all of it. The use of it creates stronger strains of virus, and weakens our immune systems, since they never have to fight off the "minor" illness' anymore. Washing with soap and warm water is what is recommended. I carry a small pack of baby wipes with me for when washing isn't an option. Doesn't make us dirty, or less responsible parents.

Also- I have a dog. A beautiful Weimeraner, who is two years old. So I'm not hating on animals- also have a gecko, two turtles and a goldfish. They are not the same as my children. If someone chooses to not have children, that's their life choice, but the two are not comprable. Not even close. That's my point. You love your dog, and can't imagine that there might be people out there who don't- but there are.

We all love Disney World, we all want to have fun. Let's all move on, be kind to each other and work on planning our next trip!!

MosMom said:
That's why! They are montessori kids. The gentle craft of teaching children to pour rice from cup to cup prevents vomiting. ;)

No, they were just normal children.

Lives4Disney said:
You seem to just be a troublemaker (the pot stiring thing) I did not JUDGE the parents other than seeing the kid just threw up and is looking limp and they decide to keep their prime Illuminations viewing spot despite that fact and order more beer and desert to insure that they don't get asked to give up their table......well - whatever. Seems selfish to me as a mom. Sorry. I wouldn't put my kids thru that. Just me I suppose. :confused3 My DD did throw up once at the MK during Wishes and I got her out of there as fast as my feet could carry me. I didn't care that Wishes is my favorite. She (one of my angels as you like to call them) was ill and I didn't want her to be uncomfortable and expose others to her germs. Just common courtesy. Seems there is a lack of that at WDW.

I didn't judge the R &C employees either. :confused3 I felt like my requests to move were not taken seriously - ie had to aske repeatedly and then when the guy comes over to ask if we would help start the fireworks - WELL, obviously they aren't taking me seriously that I would really like to move away from that vomit and smell of chemicals. Dah. No judging, just experiencing. If I would have stood on my table screaming and pointing I bet they would have reacted faster and moved us out of there. ;)

The little girl was more like 6 or 7 - not preschool age. It wasn't spit up - it was full out throwing up.

Go ahead and defend vomit in a restaurant. :rolleyes: To each his own.

Lives4Disney - proud mom to 2 angels and a teenager....

I'm not jumping in the whole vomit thing as the whole thing is really kind of silly for it still to be going on. But asking your kids to help start the firewords was actually a really nice thing for them to have offered up to you, a sprinkling of pixie dust actually and it's a shame you didn't take them up on it. You seem to have been offended at this gesture rather than taking it for what it was. Trust me, Disney was not putting your kids into harms way, there's no way in heck they would have done that. For all you know you're children were only going to be asked to wave a wand or something like that to start off the show.

I thought this thread was dead. This was started almost 2 weeks ago. I doubt the OP cares anymore. Let it die again.

hmp2z said:
Here is the difference as I see it:
- My dogs don't poop or pee in restaurants where people are trying to enjoy their food in the most sanitary way possible.

I don't get to take my dog into restuarants, Health Departments here wont allow it. :confused3

You really can't compare dogs and children. We leave our dog home in her clean, covered, matted 10X20 kennel that has a house and fresh water every day when we go to restuarants, somehow I think if we did that to our son Child Protective would be knocking on our door. :)

Allison said:
I thought this thread was dead. This was started almost 2 weeks ago. I doubt the OP cares anymore. Let it die again.

Actually the OP posted today to clarify things so I guess she does care.

MastaMind said:
Well, I said the same thing 6 years ago, and now I'll be taking my DD5 for her first trip in Feb! :lmao:

P.S. I'm happily child-enriched now and my attitude towards many, many things has completely changed!

I don't understand why it is so difficult for some people to accept that there are many folks out there that do not want children? Every day on the community board there are posts and posts about problems with children. Siblings tearing each other apart, teens that are always in trouble or horrible to their parents, awful disabilities, divorce and cheating because spouces wound up not liking the whole "family thing." The news every day is even worse. Kids killing their parents, people standing in front of trains or jumping off buildings with their kids, children left in cars to die of heat stroke, mothers drowning their own. There are stories like this EVERY day. It is great that some people still want to raise families but don't wonder why others are perfectly happy not doing it. We hear what it is like right from the horses mouth on here. :confused3

3-6 years old (Montessori) in two different schools/states (NY and MA.) Never had any poop in the pants either. They were toilet trained if they were at school.
How many years worth of teaching? I teach first grade and every year there are incidences of vomiting, peeing, and pooping in the classroom. (shall I tell you about the kid who didn't have underpants, and then kicked the bomb under the bookshelf---and his mother said, "How do you know it was him?")Kids get involved in what they are doing and totally misjudge (or ignore the urges) the time to hit the bathroom.

I'm a little confused, though. OP said that there was no way out of the table, but didn't you have to get to the table? And you didn't notice the "sawdust"? If the child hadn't been sick before you got there, and you didn't notice her throw up, it probably wasn't as much as you thought.
I don't blame you for being upset, but I do think that you did over-react. What a shame that your own daughter missed out on starting the fireworks. :(

And I wouldn't not go back to R&C. It sounds like they did everything that they could.

The OP definately sounded like she made a scene, but cleared it up later. It seemed to me she was more yelling in her head than outwardly. I threw up a lot when I was little, was I sick? no, but how is someone else going to know that. I remember throwing up during church before(now that was embarrasing), during school, all over the place. I have acid reflux, and I just couldn't keep things down when I was little. If I threw up at school I expected to get sent home, when it happened at church my parents made a quick exit, if it happened in a restaurant my parents would not stick around because that's rude. I knew if I had thrown up earlier that day I wouldn't be able to go over to my friends house and play barbies because my friends parents did not want to take the chance that I was indeed sick. Did that family have every right to stay and watch the fireworks? yes, but my family wouldn't have done that. The OP had every right to want to moved, and the fact that it took so long was silly. They should have had there meal comped and had the choice of leaving, or they should have been given a table somewhere else. If I was in that situation when I was younger i would have understood that some lady didn't want her little girls starting the fireworks with me. I didn't notice anywhere in the story were someone even took the little one to go get cleaned up. I wouldn't have wanted to stick around if I was all coverd in barf.

Judging from the responses, I think Disney lovers have a good grasp of the way things really work. For my two cents....

This is Disney World. People of all nations, races, religions, character (or lack thereof) come to Disney for an enjoyable escape from the realities of their everyday lives. But sometimes reality intrudes. Kids puke, heck.. adults puke, people smoke, they make rude noises, they are too loud, people even die, even in Disney. I remember my wife (who at 5 ft tall gets more than her share of underarm odor samples in crowds) nearly passing out one time while waiting in line at The Land as she got nauseous from odors wafting from a large group of foreign visitors directly in front of her clad in layers of robes wholly appropriate for their religion but way off base for 90 degree, Florida summers and who, apparently didn't subscribe to the largely American concepts of bathing daily, using deodorant and maintenance of personal space.

But good golly, if ya can't take a little vomit or unusual smells and it is going to ruin your trip, stay home where that doesn't happen. Disney is not a private club. We can't kick out the folks we don't like or avoid the unpleasantness of real life once in awhile. We might even run into a CM who isn't doing what we think they should, and at those wages I doubt I'd be all kicked in the keister about cleaning up vomit. But it is still the greatest place in the world.

So when life gives you vomit, go have a beer!! Or three!

I have a vomit phobia. If I was a child and knew some kid had just puked and they wanted me to light fireworks with them, there is no way I would. And how do you know the kid *wasn't* sick.
When I was young, I had a habit of throwing up at slumber parties. I was always removed from the rest of the kids and picked up in the morning by my mom. I never had any anger towards the person who removed me.

There is no way I would be able to eat with that sawdust chemical smell around me. It's nasty. Of course I feel bad for the kid. But the family should have left. Obviously the kid had had enough.

phorsenuf said:
Actually the OP posted today to clarify things so I guess she does care.

Actually I really don't care. :confused3 I really don't...only find this whole thing stupid with all these vomit supporters.

I only replied anymore because somebody else brought it back up and added some more nasty replies. :rolleyes:

I know myself what happened, maybe in typing it it loses the translation....whatever. I was there & thought the situation was disgusting and parents were selfish to stay and keep their sick kid there.

I do not care what all you supporters of vomit in a restaurant think. I think it's gross to STAY with your sick kid sitting in your lap and drink and eat more. OK, end of story. The stomach bug was going around and it is VERY contageous. Obviously there is a lot more of this throwing up in restaurants going on and I am only glad this vomit situation was my only one in all my WDW trips. :)

I totally got the runaround regarding moving - and there were LOTS of empty tables inside..... I got to the table, we ordered had salads then I smelled the vomit and soon the cleaning chems....She thru up in the aisle....The ONLY way out - the whole aisle. We were on the bottom tier, closest to the water.I do not care about having my kids start the fireworks and actually neither do they. They, like me, see more value in staying healthy and enjoying a vacation than waving a wand etc and hanging out with an obviously sick little girl.

Sorry to offend all you people that have kids that spontaneously vomit. I just do not think that was the case. :guilty:

HMP2Z - gets it.....I was wrong in how I typed the orignal OP - I should have said I "felt" or "thought" but I was in a hurry, maybe wrongly venting, on my DH's laptop and the keyboard was not friendly to me....I just went with what I typed w/out double checking it. SORRY....I think things that I do not react on.

Let it die in peace.

Lives4Disney

No, normal children do not puke. Normal children are always lovely to be around and NEVER over indulge in sweet treats on a hot day and then ride Mission Space 3 times before eating dinner. Only abnormal nasty nasty children do this. :p

Gotta love it... if you don't treat someone who vomited like a leper, you're a "vomit supporter".

Ok, I can agree that it sounds like the restaurant did not respond to the concerns in a timely manner. Yes, cleaning the stuff up is a cruddy job, but they still need to be sensitive to the other customers, who maybe more sensitive than average themselves. It does sound like the OP over-reacted, but still, that's no reason to not address the concerns as quickly as possible.

However, only the family has all of the information needed to determine if the child should have been removed. Even if they do leave, it doesn't change the fact that the vomit is sitting on the floor. Unless the child did it again, you can't make the assumption that they made the wrong decision.

The reasonable thing for the parent(s) to do is to immediately notify the staff and take the child to the restroom to clean them up and try to figure out if the child is really sick or just had a one-time problem. Then they can make an informed and reasonable choice about staying or leaving.

One other thing though... unless they vomited ON you, the whole sanitization issue is being overblown. Of course there are people that can't stand the sight or smell and have every right to politely ask to be moved. But there's no reason to go on and on about germs and disease. At worst, you would have to walk through an only partially cleaned up area. And if that is too much for you, one really has to wonder how you can stand walking around in the parks at all.

This thread is cracking me up. The whole concept of vomit supporters vs. vomit haters. LOL :teeth:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter