Weekend Box Office Results

RyMickey

Disney Freak
"Minority Report" topped "Lilo and Stitch" by $1.1 million. According to studio estimates (which are subject to change by Monday afternoon) 'Minority' topped the weekend list with $36.9 million compared to 'L&S' with $35.8 million.

Nevertheless, it looks like a very good start for this superb animated movie.

By the way, 'Scooby Doo's' total dropped to $24.3 million - a 55% drop from the previous weekend. I don't see 'L&S' dropping that quickly.

RyMickey

Based on the crowds at the two showings for Lilo and Stitch that I attended (OK so I'm trying to stuff the ballot box - so what :-) I wouldn't be surprised to see it even higher.

Both showings were sold out (4:45pm Friday and Saturday) and according to the manager all earlier showings had been sold out - it was showing on three screens. These are stadium style 'small' theatres, perhaps 225 people per showing. So a quick estimate here in Mobile would be about 1100 people per screen per day and the average ticket price is maybe $5.50? so figure something like $6K per screen per day. I recall it's showing on over 3000 screens so if it was doing this well everywhere it could be doing $15M a day...maybe even more depending on how big the other theatres are...

Scoop:

Lion King : $41M
Tarzan : $34M
Hercules : $21M

So we're looking at a Tarzan at a minimum, who knows how high it might go! I'm wishing I had guessed $200M instead of $150...

Its a very good opening but still will have a har time beating the CGI competition such as Shrek or the Pixar movies or even maybe Ice Age.
And isnt Stuart Little coming out for competition and MIB2 would only scare the wimpiest of kids!! This is a very competitive summer and my daughters seem to be looking forward to bothe Arnold and Veggie tales which are also still to come.
But it is good too see this movie do alot better than the more recent animated releases and disney does need the movie to do good as Bad company was a big box office bomb. I know they have Signs and Reign if Fire still to come that will hopefully do good at the box office.

It's a very good opening, who knows about the legs but the movie is great! Typical Disney in theme, story, moral & happy ending. There are lots of laughs and lots of tears (all four of us, I'll admit). This is so much better than Drek, my 9 year old daughter said as we left the theatre "That wasn't as good as Shrek though?" I looked at her and said "oh, no?" She responded with this mischevious grin of hers and said "Dad this was great, Shrek was ok...Don't you know anything???"

BTW, it showed in 4 theatres in Vero Beach (where we saw it) and received a huge cheer upon completion. Our theatre was sld out...

So much for the cgi vs hand drawn nonsense meaning anything...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

This is good news! Our theater was not sold out on opening day and no one cheered so I was wondering what was up. I guess that we just had a flat crowd. I hope it at least matches Tarzan.

I suppose the upcoming competition could take some of Lilo and Stitch's potential ticket sales - but after having seen the crowd response here on de bayou I 'gar-onnnnn-tee' that this thing is going to go right on past Tarzan.

People were cheering and applauding the final scenes (the scenes with no dialog as the titles appear).

In fact I REALLY wish there was a longer view of the Hula scene with Lilo and Stitch - it was 'choice' :-)

How about the tears, man!!! I felt like I did as a kid watching Bambi. My 9 yo was all over her seat with tears everywhere (so was the 13 yo for that matter, and neither parent had a dry eye!)...I was happy knowing it was a Disney flick and laughter would soon be on the way & a happy ending would ensue, which it was & did!

I agree about the hula scene...Also, I think the Elvis tie in was brilliant. It's a great musical score without having to worry about a lot of new material..."He ain't nothng but a houndog"...Love it!!!
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Disney is still standing by their claim that when the numbers are finalized sometime monday morning, L&S will be the #1 grossing film for the weekend. Regardless, Lilo had the second biggest opening weekend of all time for a traditional animated feature, right behind 1994's The Lion King.

Well, consider that much more of the Lilo crowds were children than Minority Report. And, then consider that children pay less for admission.
Maybe they could factor in the popcorn, candy and soda sales to help even things out. When I take the family to see a movie we'll pay $25 or so in admission and then spend another $30 at the snack bar.

Seriously, I think that at best, both numbers should be tracked, but what matters is the box office receipts. If I'm making a movie I'm much more concerned with how much money I'm making then how many people are going to see it. When someone make a movie or has a product, what matters is how much money it made, not how many people bought or saw it. Attendence figures are good for bragging rights and even then I'd rathing be bragging about the $$$.

I perfer the money over number of tickets sold as a movie will make more money on a adult admission as compared to a childs admission. Their is no perfect way to do this though.
One thing in L & S favor is that it played on more screens and more times per day, but its great to see the movie do good and i hope in can keep it up with all the competition coming up.

Well, here are the actual numbers.

Minority Report
$35,677,125

Lilo & Stitch
$35,260,212

Close, but MR barely wins.

(I saw both this weekend, and will probably buy both on DVD, but I think I'll go back and see L&S at least once more in the theater.)

It was a good opening weekend and it a cute movie that kids could go and see again. My wife was out of town this weekend and after hearing the description of the movie, she is planning on seeing it next weekend.

One thing to keep in mind is that L&S drew alot of children who's ticket prices cost significantly less than the predominantly adult audience that saw Minority Report. If we were counting bodies rather than dollars L&S would have won out hands down.

But do you think Disney would rather have the numbers or the $$$ ?

Realistically I think they'll get both. As others said,kids will make multiple trips back to see L&S but how many repeaters will MR get ? Also, just wait till L&S hits the rental stores followed shortly by the retails stores- just in time for Christmas perhaps. L&S has the makings of a HUGE cash cow.

One thing to keep in mind is that L&S drew alot of children who's ticket prices cost significantly less than the predominantly adult audience that saw Minority Report.
The corolary to that is that children tend to want to see something that they like more than once, where adults (generally) are content to see a film only one time. Time will tell whether or not this film will make money or make buckets of money...

Sarangel

Along those lines - I am certainly glad that DVDs have replaced Video Cassettes at our house. We have literally worn out a couple of cassettes over time...

I am certainly glad that DVDs have replaced Video Cassettes
Me too, except that I'm glad about all the extra stuff they can put on a DVD. I have a feeling this one's going to be fun...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter