• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weirdest Thing You've Eaten

I’ve only ever had hearts one place, but gizzards are everywhere so I don’t really think of them as “odd” even though hearts probably aren’t really “weirder”.
Don't they sell them at Popeyes?

When my kids were little and we'd take them to the Philadelphia Zoo, I'd ask them to name the kind of animals they were seeing. For many, they'd say, "I don't know." I'd tell them that they were delicious... ostriches, turtles, frogs, etc. At the back of the park was a rhinoceros. I'd ask them what it was called and they'd roll their eyes and say, "delicious?" I'd tell them, "no, that's a rhinoceros. I've never tasted one of those." Yes, I've eaten a lot of things that others might find strange. It showed my kids that I wasn't afraid to try things and they have always tried them, too.

My favorite thing to say now when people ask what is the weirdest thing I've tried is to say, "do you know what kangaroo tastes like? It tastes like goat."

So, I'd guess that kangaroo is the weirdest for me. How about for you?

Roasted Cuy. (AKA Guinea Pig). It's a delicacy in Ecuador and Peru.

Sweet and sour water buffalo.

Tongue (yuck)
Escargot (no thank you)

We had gizzards in our gravy at Thanksgiving. I never knew people find them yucky. Nowadays, I like the liver, but not any of the rest of it.

1,000 year old egg (not really 1,000 years old but called that. DO NOT google it before trying it)
duck skin
turtle
goat
Oh Dear Lord - did you eat that on purpose?!? :scared:
Roasted Cuy. (AKA Guinea Pig). It's a delicacy in Ecuador and Peru.
DH traveled to Peru about 10 years ago to help build an orphanage. He'd vowed to DS he wouldn't eat a guinea pig while he was there but due to, well, reasons - he and his team ended up eating anything they could get their hands on and guinea pig on a stick were commonly available as street food.

goat curry at a really excellent Indian buffet last week. OMG, it must have been simmering for hours. Meat fell off the bone. It was so so good.

At a small sushi restaurant in the town of Kihei on the island of Maui about 9 years ago, live abalone. As in, the sushi chef poked it and it moved. Then he sliced off 2 pieces and put it on my plate. It was really tasty. That was the best sushi meal I've ever had. All of the fish had been caught that morning locally...with the exception of the abalone (which was flown in from CA). The tuna nigiri was THE best I've ever had. Truly amazing food. No printed menu. The menu changed each day based on what fish the proprietor/chef bought from the local fishermen. He's Japanese and learned for decades in Japan how to make sushi. He's still in business there. It's a small place, seats maybe 15 people tops. You need a reservation. And if you're late, he gets mad and makes you wait for as long as you made him wait. So if you're late 10 min for your reservation, then you have to wait 10 min before he will take your order. :-) I hope to go back some day.

Escargot. I doubt I'd try that again. When I was little, I remember eating fish eyes when my grandma made fish soup. Definitely never again!

I’ve eaten a lot of ‘strange’ things: ostrich egg ice cream was one of the funniest. The most disgusting imo was the Nattō.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter