We're back early

DisneyLisa

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
We were suppose to be leaving WDW tomorrow morning but left Wednesday afternoon instead (for a whole list of reasons). Will post more on our trip as soon as I get unpacked (just wanted to read a few posts on the DIS before I get started with that horrible job).

Everything is fine (at least it is now).

It's kind of a long story but I might as well get it out. I know eveyone will think we're nuts but here's a summary of events:

1. DD said at the last minute that she would like someone her age on the trip so we decided to take my nephew (13) with us (Mistake #1)

2. forgot how hot Florida is in July (Mistake #2)

3. forgot about how my friend hates to get up early to go to the parks or basically do anything we have planned (very important because of #2 above...hence Mistake #3)

4. Friend is glued to CNN. She sees a news report Wednesday morning about Terrorism (re videos of US landmarks & Disneyland that have been found) & points it out to my DD & DN (Big Mistake #4)

5. Head to the monorail station at GF to be told Epcot is closed for the day (not given a reason, CM just keeps stressing that it has NEVER happened before)

6. Change plans & arrive at MK to find heightened security (each day before security had just glanced at our bags...didn't even seem to care what was in them...made me wonder why they were even doing it at all). But on Wednesday, we have to open each & every pocket, empty our camera pouches, make-up bags, etc. Friend, DN & DD are getting more scared! Friend & DN refuse to go into park, so we head back to GF.

By now, DD (who gets stomach sick when she gets upset, worried or senses tension) is starting to get the tell-tale "pains" in her stomach. I'm ready to strangle my friend!

After getting back to the room. I suggest we go to DD for a while...friend refuses to leave the room, nephew says WDW is boring (we'd done all the rides & I guess that's all he cared about...I should have thought about that before I decided to take him) & DD is doing her best to try & forget about the fears my friend had instilled in her & is ready to head back to a park. But by then, I'm really ticked off!

So...considering that:

1) it's soooo hot & the parks aren't open as late as we're used to (so we can tour in the mornings & the evenings),

2) the fact the my nephew is being a royal "pain-in-the-butt",

3) I'm ready to strangle my friend for frightening everyone & being so un-cooperative & unappreciative of a trip that I am paying for,

and everything else above, I just said: "OK we're leaving right now". Friend & DN are happy, DD is really upset then...it seems that DD & I are the only ones who really want to be there. I was paying for 10 nights at the GF that only WE seemed to be enjoying so I said "enough is enough" & we headed home. The drive home seemed sooo long...I just couldn't wait to drop my friend off in Kitchener & "hand" my DN back to my sister.

DD & I have since had a nice long chat...she's feeling really bad but I've told her that I don't blame her at all. She's only 14...my friend is 52...she acted irresponsibly scaring everyone like that. She should have discussed her fears with me not them (I was in the bathroom when the CNN report came on). And my nephew acted like a spoiled brat - plain & simple.

So, we've decided we're going to go back to WDW (alone, just the 2 of us)...not sure when, but definitely not in the heat of the summer again. We have 8 park hopper days left on our passes & 4 water park days (I paid for all 4 of them & still have them so I feel I'm entitled to use them for just the 2 of us) so we'll just need plane tickets (no driving this time - we only drove because my friend is afraid to fly) & our hotel (DD really wants to try the POLY so it'll be the POLY or GF). Once I calm down a bit I'll start researching, reading all the DIS posts & thinking about our next trip.

So that's our story...thanks everyone for reading it (now that I've written it all down & have it all out of my system, it sounds ridiculous & crazy (but I feel better :D ). Most of you know how much I was looking forward to this trip so I just had to "tell it like it is". So much for our 2002 WDW Vacation (although we did manage to have some fun anyway).

I'm sorry your trip didn't go as planned. I agree that your next trip should be just you and DD. I bet you'll have a blast! Let the planning begin. . .;)

Hi DisneyLisa,

sorry you had such a bad trip. I'm sure next time will be much more enjoyable.

We are driving down to Disney next weekend and would appreciate any tips you would have on the drive. Did you drive right through or did you make a couple of stops? If so where did you stop ? I read on another post that you spent 360$ cdn on gas, what kind of car do you drive ?

Thank you very much for your reply.

Hi Lisa:

Just tuned in, I am so sorry about all this turmoil. You sure were in a situation with all this chaos. Hubby and I would have done exactly what you had done.

Did you ever find out why epcot was closed, I wonder if you post if someone else might know why. I must have missed the cnn report, I usually tune in once a day.

I am glad you told us, cause this may help others when planning about taking others with us on our trips. You just never know.

Just chock it up to another experience, take a deep breath and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Take care,

Deb.

Hey Lisa:

Just went over to the themeparks board and read a thread by MCazer on page 4, july l7 about the closure of epcot. Apparently the Associated Press said that there was a small electrical fire at 3.a.m. and they closed the park all day. Just thought I would let you know.

Deb.

So sorry to hear about the troubles of your trip. It's very dissapointing when things don't turn out the way we planned. Your friend and dn acted inconsiderate. I hope in time your relationships are restored. It's a very hard and expensive life lesson. On a smaller scale, a similar thing happened to us. We planned to travel to WDW with friends (another family of 4, my friend, her dh, her dd(12) her ds (7)) in a couple years, so we decided to go away for the weekend before WDW to see how we get along. It was horrid. Good thing it was only two days. They asked me to plan the whole thing, so I did. I planned meals and events and booked our rooms. When we got there EVERYTHING changed. If we went right, they went left. I quickly saw that this was going to be difficult, so I suggested that they go their way and we go ours and we'll meet up later in the day. "OH NO" they said, "we'll go with you." They were miserable doing that. I pointed out that they aren't happy doing "our things" so they should go do their things and meet up for dinner. Again, "OH NO" they said again, they wanted to come with us, but weren't happy doing it. Finally on the last morning, I lost it at breakfast and demanded that we split up and I'd call me friend the next day. We both knew travelling together was OUT! We are planning a WDW trip without them. The happy ending is, we are still great friends. I think we both realized that we love each other so much that we shouldn't travel together anymore. I hope you have a happy ending too! S

Oh Lisa!:( My heart goes out to you as I knew you were so excited about this trip.:(

First of all a BIG WELCOME HOME :)

Second of all I'm glad to hear that you and your DD will plan a WDW holiday just for the two of you and fly too! LOL! It's really hard to plan a vacation with more that 2 people as everyone has varying likes and dislikes and this time you got a doozy with your DN and DF but yes as some of the folks here said just chalk it up to experience and yes by all means plan a fantastic "trip for two" soon!;)

Thanks everyone. After a good night's sleep, and reading my post above, I have to chuckle....what a joke this vacation was. As some of you have said, I learned a valuable lesson.

DH & I just finished our Saturday morning "coffee chat" (you know the one you can have now that your 3 teenagers sleep in - the type you can't have when they are young & crawling all over you when they get up at 6 am & you're lucky to get a sip of your coffee on a Saturday morning;)). Well, he said that we should just go ahead & plan it whenever we want & that he will make sure we don't take anyone next time (he knows what a "softy" I am so he'll be the bad guy and remind me about this trip if I even suggest bringing anyone).

When we planned our WDW vacation for 2000, it was originally a mother-daughter one. Then my mother felt bad that my nephew would probably never get to go to WDW (sister is divorced with no help from ex so would probably never be able to afford it) so I decided to drive & take my mother & nephew with us. Well let's just say, my mother treats me like I'm about 13 so it was not the most "fun" trip.

So in 2001, DD & I were making plans to go again - alone. Then I thought she might have more fun with a friend, so we invited a friend of hers (her parents paid her way). And then I started thinking I might like someone to chat with, so I invited my friend (but paid her way because they don't have the money to spend on things like WDW - DH said if it made my vacation better, then it would just be an additional cost of the vacation - room is paid for regardless of the number in it right - the only thing was that we had to drive because she is afraid to fly - so we did). We had a great time (it was a little tough with DD's friend - she was a picky eater & wanted to do everything "her" way...but we managed). I was able to coax my friend to get up early a few mornings so we could hit the parks, but not as many as I would have liked. But all-in-all...a pretty good vacation.

So when we started planning this year, my friend said she'd like to go again...hubby said to go ahead & pay for it. Friend said she understood that you have to get up early to get everything done so I figure it will be easier this year. WRONG. Then, as posted above, DD told me a few days before we left that it probably would be more fun to have someone to ride all the rides with & talk to, so "dumb" me invites nephew a few days before we leave. I didn't think it thru - a 13 y.o boy with 3 women...probably only wanting to do the "big" rides & not wanting to do the "girlie" things like SHOP.

Well this next trip will be just the two of us and I think it will be great - exactly what we had started out planning in the beginning. DD is looking forward to just the two of us. I now understand that she's happy with just the two of us (but if I had a friend to talk to she thought it wouldn't be as much fun for her & I can understand that - so we should have gone, just the two of us this year). Oh well, on to planning our next trip...we're thinking maybe March Break - I think we can handle the crowds if there are just 2 of us. DD really likes the POLY so we're thinking we might try there.

Again, thanks everyone for being my sounding board. Now if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Oh, Lisa! I'm so sorry! That's just horrible about your friend and nephew, you and your daughter definetly deserve a vacation after that!

Were you able to get a refund for an early departure? That really stinks that you had to leave because of others since you and your daughter were having a good time.

domino:

I drive a 2002 Pontiac Montana minivan. I spent $158 U.S. (checked my statement online & my Amex charged me an exchange rate of 1.58 :() & $112 Canadian (but still have 3/4 of a tank left so the actual cost is a little less than $360). Also, I had to drive down to Kitchener first, which added a few more km to my trip.

But you never know what gas prices will be so, if I was you, I'd plan on about $350 Canadian for gas. (I know it's a lot more than it used to cost to drive down).

As for stops: we took I79 & I95 (probably a different route than you would take from Montreal - you'll probably go I81 & I95 - which I have also driven twice). I prefer the I79 route (a lot less truck traffic) so let me know which way you're going & I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Cali-D: The hotel was excellent - they even refunded my Poly Luau tickets (which were for Thursday night & the tickets say there are no refunds), they only charged me $100 for Wednesday (we checked out at 3 pm so I think that's fair) & they refunded me totally for Thursday & Friday. They were fabulous. I have no complaints about the GF (except the noise thing I mentioned on the other thread) and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again (as I said earlier, our next stay will definitely be either there or the Poly). DD & I have decided that we definitely like to be on the monorail.

I am laughing with you and not at you, but travelling with other people is areal gambling experience.It is not one that I would ever do again,especially to a place like Disney. They just dont understand thse of us who really love it.

Hi Lisa- Welcome home!
I am sorry to hear that your trip turned out that way.
I agree that your friend should have shared her fears with you and not the kids. I hope someday they realize how inconsiderate their behavoir was-considering you offered to bring them and pick up the tab! I am sure that you and dd will have a awesome time on your next trip!
I have considered doing dw with my mom but I know we have totally different styles-she can not stick with a plan-I on the other hand have to have all my chicks in a row!
DH brother has mentioned he wants to come with us in Novmember,he is pretty laid back but I am a tad apprehensive,he hasn't brought it up again so well see. I would like it to be just a family trip.
Smiles
Grover in Winnipeg

What a horrible trip.. i feel so bad... i really hope that you get going in planning your new trip and look forward to how much fun you'll have then, rather then the frusteration of your last trip...

Just one curious question. You said you dropped your friend off in Kitchener. Well, I live there and we've been having abnormal heat wave-esque days where the weather is just as bad (if not worse) then the weather there in Florida, so i didn't think that the heat would be a difference at all...

Of course, this is coming from me, sitting in a cool basement thinking logically about what I know of the situation.. it probably was alot different then... just a thought though.

Lisa I do know one thing from reading your posts above that you are really a very, very special friend and your friend from Kitchener, and your nephew that you took along (and paid for it all to boot!!!) should be very grateful to you.There aren't enough "special" people in the world like you.....and for that I applaud you!!!!:sunny: :sunny:

SpecialFXKid: We did notice all the burned grass in town when we arrived in the Kitchener area. But it's different when you're at WDW. Even sitting by the pool was too hot. Here, when I sit by my pool, I can pop inside for a minute, or sit on my umbrella swing in the shade or at a table with an umbrella. I can even float on my floating chair or on an air mattress :) ...making it easier to take the heat. Pounding the pavement in the parks in 35+ degree heat is really tough...I guess I'm just getting too old.

As for getting started on our planning, DD & I have been talking all day & I went to get pictures developed (11 rolls of film was $100 to develop - you forget about the extra costs involved with a trip) so we're remembering all the good times about our trip as we look at them (yes we did have some good times, it's just too bad it all turned out the way it did). But I've calmed down a lot now & plan to forget about all the negatives.

We're already discussing where we'll eat & what we'll do (she really wanted to get to the Luau so hopefully we'll finally be able to do it). We've decided we want to try some different places to eat next time and not do as many character meals (I guess she's growing up).

So on with the planning :)

Thanks Sammi, but I don't think I'm special at all - just stupid...too stupid to realize that people seldom appreciate what others do for them. My husband (and friends) always say that I do too much for other people & not enough for myself. When people heard what I was doing, they told me I was nuts to pay for it all & now I can see that I was (I can almost excuse my nephew (partly) because he is only a kid...but my friend is another matter. I am not going to let it ruin our friendship but it will now certainly be on a different level).

And I can tell you one thing...I learned A LOT from this trip & the next one will be exactly what I want (which is, luckily, exactly what my DD wants too).

Hi Lisa:

Sammi is right you are special to do this for others, but right now you are probably so frustrated with them you can't see it.

Lisa I think not doing enough for yourself goes hand in hand with being a mother and caregiver.

Next trip give the poly a try, we just love it, it is so relaxing and a big change from canada.

I can sympathize with you about the heat in florida. We cut short our park days in april as it was up in the mid to high 90's, I can't take too long in the park at that temp.

I'll tell you that I really miss the early entry, for people like me who cannot take the heat I could get more done from 7.30 till noon, then rest up in the afternoon by the pool. For me it really takes away from my enjoyment. I would like to see them bring it back.

Gotta love those special a.m. coffee talks with dear hubby alone, I know where your coming from with that.

Bye,

Deb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter