We're getting an Aldi... help

Thanks so much everyone!! I have a clearer vision of what it's like. I think I'll try it out and see how it goes. Like you said, not replace my regular store but get some things there. I'm always looking for cheap versions of the staples. Like I go to Trader Joe's for wine and a handful of other things like parm cheese and orzo because they are cheap. I work and have a toddler so I don't have time to run around to different stores and try to avoid weekends so my TJ trips are like once every two months. I'll have to see how much Aldi is worth the trip. Grand opening is Thursday and I was going to go Friday... we'll see- might be a mad house!

Depends on where you are in the country. We are in Meijer/Kroger land and find Aldi to not be much of a money saver. When we lived in NE Ohio where Giant Eagle was the big player, we saved more at Aldi. Milk/egg prices vary-Aldi milk was 1.89 on Saturday, it's 1.78 at Kroger. Aldi does have a couple of produce items each week that make it a worthwhile stop while in the area, but not worth a special trip.

If you are a couponer and ad matcher and live near some decent grocery stores, I doubt you will find Aldi to be exciting.

Depends on where you are in the country. We are in Meijer/Kroger land and find Aldi to not be much of a money saver. When we lived in NE Ohio where Giant Eagle was the big player, we saved more at Aldi. Milk/egg prices vary-Aldi milk was 1.89 on Saturday, it's 1.78 at Kroger. Aldi does have a couple of produce items each week that make it a worthwhile stop while in the area, but not worth a special trip.

If you are a couponer and ad matcher and live near some decent grocery stores, I doubt you will find Aldi to be exciting.

I'd give my right eyebrow to be near a Kroger again. I used to coupon and plan out like a madwoman for their mega sales. We used to live less than 2 miles from one. I stopped constantly. We moved and that's my one regret about this place... a Kroger is a half hour (with no traffic) from us :sad::sad: I made a few mega sale trips early on when we moved before I got a job but life is just too crazy now with my new job and family stuff to do the planning for special trips. Maybe once winter rolls around.

Agree with most other posters - Aldi won't replace my regular store but it even being an avid coupon shopper it is still worth a stop for me. I usually find I stop there once every other week and stock up. I like their veggies but the fruit hit or miss. There are actually some items my family prefers in the Aldi brand (salad dressing) and sugar-free strawberry preserves. I'd have to go anyway just to get those items. We also like their bags of frozen Orange Chicken and frozen breaded chicken breasts (I use them to make chicken Parmesan, friend chicken sandwiches, and chicken/ranch wraps). Aldi is also where I get things like fresh grated Parmesan cheese, almonds, cashews, and canned veggies.

I've found it best to try just one or two new items at a time and absolutely return anything your family doesn't like.

Don't forget to bring your own bags and a quarter for the cart.

Trader Joe's is like an upscale Aldi's. They're similar in size, too, but Aldi's isn't so close to being a Whole Foods knock-off, if that makes sense. What might work for you is visiting once a month or so, for staples and any favorites. I will say, there are very few things that I've tried but didn't like--the only one that comes to mind is their 12-grain bread, which seemed more like whole wheat with a teaspoon of other grains--we like our bread with more substance. But that's the only thing I remember. I love it for baking supplies around the holidays, and special events--I mentioned German specialties at Christmas, but they also do Cinco de Mayo and Italian Fest--probably others. I don't generally buy fresh meat there, and I avoid non-food stuff, like paper towels or dog food. I have cheaper sources for paper goods.

I go grocery shopping once a week on Friday. Is Aldi something I should consider replacing my current grocery store with or somewhere I should stop every once in a while to stock up? Unless there's a great sale I'm usually just going for meats and veggies and a few other staples. Someone help! It opens this week!!
Yes. You should try it for a few weeks. You will be amazed, you can walk thru Aldi, pick up exactly what you want (no looking at coupons or flyers) and still walk out having spent less money than the grocery store down the street after struggling thru flyers,matching coupons,and picking up items in numbers you might not have done otherwise(buy2,get1,etc sales) Aldi is straightforward savings on food and other items.If you absolutely must have those name brand items, they do carry them too(mine does,except the juice) so get that separately if needed. I buy very little elsewhere on an as needed basis.(sometime I hit Costco) I buy mostly Organics,and GF food at Aldi- and mostly unprocessed foods. Since much couponing is for processed type foods,I haven't done it in years. (I LOVE Aldi's european style dark chocolate)

also it depends on where you live...where my MIL lives, they have quite a few cheap grocery stores to choose from.... where I live, groceries are expensive(very) and Aldi is the BEST thing since sliced bread(literally lol) But it depends on the foods you buy, very few processed item+organics+simple european style ingredients= Aldi heaven. The more processed items(premade,packaged) have specific flavors that may or may not be to your taste. For Almond milk, organic eggs, og beef, GF pasta,fruits and veggies? the best.

We used to not buy generic cheezits either. The store brands always tasted yucky to me. Well one time we got the aldi version of cheezits and they are the closest to the real thing I have ever bought.

We got Aldi last year & it is my GO TO for basics now--I find them 30-50% off.
I used coupons a lot many years ago but have no stores doing double coupons anymore; I can usually buy store brands for less.
I love it for: snacks, wine (I love Winking Owl pinot grigio--$2.89!!!!), produce (except apples, bananas & potatoes--I find them too ripe, spoil too fast), cheese, all meat products, eggs, salad, salad dressings, nuts, canned fruit & veggies, flavored waters, baking supplies, chicken nuggets, many frozen & gluten free items.
I agree that the quality of processed foods is quite comparable to national brands. I will say that cream of chicken soup has a much more golden color that was a bit off-putting, but the flavor was spot on.
I go to Super Target for the few items I need that they don't carry (ours doesn't have 1% milk nor 1/2 gallons of cream) plus household items and Hyvee (grocery store) for apples, bananas & potatoes (and I watch their sales). But I always spend the most on groceries at Aldi; usually about $75/wk for a family of 5 (2 teenage boys). I estimate it has saved me $200/month.

I go for the canned foods, fruit, snacks, baking stuff, and a few frozen things every now and then. I don't get a lot of coupons so it makes it easy.

We shop at Aldi a LOT. What I think I had decided was their "normal" price was basically what I would pay when I spent a ton of time couponing, matching ads, going to multiple grocery stores, all stuff I don't have time to do anymore honestly. (Some weeks I don't even make it to Aldi.) Plus, I wasn't having to wait for the regular grocery store to put something on sale and then buy 10 of them to last me to the next sale. We really like their produce. Super cheap compared to my local grocery stores and almost always is really good. Several organic options too. Most stuff is their store brand, but there are some name brand things they seem to carry all the time. Pringles chips, Gatorade, Hersheys/M&Ms and yes HONEY NUT CHEERIOS (I buy some about every week!) are some name brands we always buy. We like most all their store brand stuff. Some stuff, like the spaghetti sauce, we like better than the name brand. We still go to a "regular" grocery story maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks (that may also include just getting a few things when we're at Target or something.) This is to get a few things like Kraft mac and cheese, fruit snacks with characters on the box, and usually meat (although hamburger, etc we've gotten at Aldi and has always been fine.)

I used to go to Aldi and pick up eggs, milk, cereal (My kids weren't picky) and sometimes fruit/vegetable. There was one frozen turkey thing we liked too.

But then the kids grew up and got picky, people discovered how cheap the eggs and milk were and they'd be out when I went in. And the fruits/vegs didn't last long.

I was in one last week to look around and just walked out. That place needed to be sanitized - it was nasty. So I will never go back to Aldi again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter