• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

West coast fires

I thinking of it in relative terms. I've checked it out when it was over 200, the air smelled like I was surrounded by campfires, and my throat started to hurt after 20 seconds of breathing that in. Of course it's not great, but it's certainly more scary looking than a few weeks ago when the air quality was demonstrably worse.

I only know because my kids have a Dyson air purifier in their room and the app gives me notifications when the outside air goes past 100 on the air quality index. Just being outside it doesn't seem too bad, but those fine particulates are floating around and no one should breathe them in. I guess our masks are coming in handy now.

I'm driving home right now from South San Francisco to the Mojave Desert and there was smoke almost the entire drive. Its just starting to clear up as I get closer to home because the wind is blowing the opposite direction it usually does. SSF looked like an apocalyptic sky it was so crazy orange.

Not too bad today in my part of WA, but I'm preparing for some family possibly evacuating from Oregon. Don't know who it's going to hit, but I have family members in several areas of OR that are prepping bug out bags.

Last edited:
My daughter in San Francisco sent me a picture today from her fire escape. Orange-yellow sky and all the street lights still on because it was that dark at 10am.

It's kind of bizarre because if I just looked inside, there's not really a yellow/orange glow coming from my windows and if I were to guess it's already nighttime - I would guess 9 PM if I didn't have a clock. I have to actually look outside to see the glow. However, it seems dark indoors and I need the lights on But if I go outside it actually seems reasonably bright. I've never seen anything like this. I've seen brownish/grayish smoke and it never seemed this dark when indoors.

eastern washington here-very grateful that we have a generator b/c we were without power for 2 1/2 days, no phone or internet for 1. being in the country w/o a source of power means no water as well so that generator provides tremendous peace of mind. a small community near us (about 200 residents) was destroyed-80% of it just wiped out. the winds were crazy and the fire just moved so fast-they lost power so they did'nt have access to local water and all the fire fighting aircraft was grounded :(

I’m near Portland and the smoke has been so thick. That wind storm was something else. I had to turn off the air conditioning the last couple of days because it was bringing in too much smoke into the house.

Stay safe. Hopefully they can get a handle on the fires and this is short-lived.
I sure hope so....one of my sons lives out there.... I'm hoping everything goes ok quickly

I’m near Portland and the smoke has been so thick. That wind storm was something else. I had to turn off the air conditioning the last couple of days because it was bringing in too much smoke into the house.

Stay safe. Hopefully they can get a handle on the fires and this is short-lived.
I sure hope so....one of my sons lives out there.... I'm hoping everything goes ok quickly
View attachment 524884

I think it's a bit more orange outside than the pic shows. I have to have all of the lights on in my house and it's only 12:45pm. I feel like I am living in a sepia tinted photograph.
this looks so similiar to my sons photos...:scared:

OP here. Still hanging in there hoping for the best. The air quality is quite poor still. We are just hanging out in the hazardous range at 479 AQI as we have been. I really dont want to go out but I have to, and walk at that. If I had another way I would.
Hang in there everyone!! These are really strange times. Stay safe!

OP here. Still hanging in there hoping for the best. The air quality is quite poor still. We are just hanging out in the hazardous range at 479 AQI as we have been. I really dont want to go out but I have to, and walk at that. If I had another way I would.
Hang in there everyone!! These are really strange times. Stay safe!

479 is extreme! We are around 250. I spent about 2.5 hours outside yesterday for a meeting with my builder and his sub. I’m a healthy person and last night felt wheezy and I’m all plugged up this morning.

Rain shows in the forecast for next week :)

Air quality where I am is 409 right now, but people have said it went over 500 the two previous days. I drove up to Salem to get my son a couple days ago, and the darkest part of the trip was around Brownsville (a little north of Eugene). My son was out in the woods a ways outside the Salem area. He evacuated to Stayton first, then to Salem the next day, and is now home. We think where he was burned down, which is just tragic as it was a camp for disabled people. The family that runs the camp likely lost their home. But we won't know for a while.

He took this pic in Stayton when he first evacuated:

It was dark but he said the sky was red--and it was at 11 a.m. when he took it. Just scary.

He left the Beachie Creek Fire area. but what's closer to home is the Holiday Farm Fire. My friend's mom had to evacuate her memory care because of it (can you imagine? Cottages full of demented elderly people being asked to leave their home and move to a church? It's just awful. )

A 12 year old boy died up in the Salem area (and his grandma). I couldn't stop crying yesterday. It's just so awful. The family is one who made a roadside amusement park that my family has always enjoyed (Called Enchanted Forest), and I went to as a little kid, then took my own kids to. Just so freaking tragic. I am so grateful my son and the group he was working with heard to leave the area--how hard it must be to get the notification out to everyone, and the situation can change so fast. They left at level 2 (level 1 is get ready, level to is be set, and level three is go immediately). :guilty:

Last edited:
Air quality where I am is 409 right now, but people have said it went over 500 the two previous days. I drove up to Salem to get my son a couple days ago, and the darkest part of the trip was around Brownsville (a little north of Eugene). My son was out in the woods a ways outside the Salem area. He evacuated to Stayton first, then to Salem the next day, and is now home. We think where he was burned down, which is just tragic as it was a camp for disabled people. The family that runs the camp likely lost their home. But we won't know for a while.

He took this pic in Stayton when he first evacuated:

View attachment 525084

It was dark but he said the sky was red--and it was at 11 a.m. when he took it. Just scary.

He left the Beachie Creek Fire area. but what's closer to home is the Holiday Farm Fire. My friend's mom had to evacuate her memory care because of it (can you imagine? Cottages full of demented elderly people being asked to leave their home and move to a church? It's just awful. )

A 12 year old boy died up in the Salem area (and his grandma). I couldn't stop crying yesterday. It's just so awful. The family is one who made a roadside amusement park that my family has always enjoyed (Called Enchanted Forest), and I went to as a little kid, then took my own kids to. Just so freaking tragic. I am so grateful my son and the group he was working with heard to leave the area--how hard it must be to get the notification out to everyone, and the situation can change so fast. They left at level 2 (level 1 is get ready, level to is be set, and level three is go immediately). :guilty:
oh this terrifies me....my son is out below Portland area,he keeps insisting he's still in the green zone....altho the sky is a dark orange

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter