West coast fires

OP here. Still hanging in there and trying not to breathe. Sadly Im still really scared. I have no doubt Im not alone in that feeling.
I am reading old Far Side comics to keep laughing! It helps. :tongue:

So does that mean the values are being under reported or over reported?

Hang in there :) The latest forecast I saw on KPTV said that by Sunday and Monday, we’ll get some offshore winds and that will help with the air quality. Rain is forecast early next week.

OP here. Still hanging in there and trying not to breathe. Sadly Im still really scared. I have no doubt Im not alone in that feeling.
I am reading old Far Side comics to keep laughing! It helps. :tongue:

So does that mean the values are being under reported or over reported?
so what is your favorite far side cartoon? On a wall in Lyons, Oregon I once hung up a far side cartoon for my dad....it had his name in the humor....he no longer lives in the home and conflicting reports about what did happen in Lyons, not my childhood home though, but we left from lyons many times to go fishing at detriot.

so what is your favorite far side cartoon? On a wall in Lyons, Oregon I once hung up a far side cartoon for my dad....it had his name in the humor....he no longer lives in the home and conflicting reports about what did happen in Lyons, not my childhood home though, but we left from lyons many times to go fishing at detriot.

Im not sure whats left in Lyons now. It's such a pretty area too. Or was... So much destruction, so much smoke. I never anticipated the smoke being so pervasive either.

Many of the Far Side comics make me literally LOL! I love the slightly bent humor.
There is one with 2 pilots in a plane. One says, "The fuel light's on Frank! We are all going to die!... We're all going to die...wait wait, my mistake, that's the intercom light."
I hate flying!! Lol
Stay safe all where ever you are.
I'd rather be at WDW!! :crazy:

our local news reported last night that the winds would be moving the smoke from western washington, oregon and northern california our way this weekend..............it's arrived. looking out my window it reminds me of the tule fog i grew up with.

our local news reported last night that the winds would be moving the smoke from western washington, oregon and northern california our way this weekend..............it's arrived. looking out my window it reminds me of the tule fog i grew up with.

I feel for those east of the fires in WA and OR because it’s shifting that direction. The smoke has really been awful.

I am in Western Washington, a bit north of Seattle. Our air quality is at 185 right now. It’s been very hazy here for days, but nothing compared to parts of Eastern Washington, Oregon and California. There are so many tragic stories of death and destruction and many people still missing. I feel very fortunate to only deal with haze.

I am in Western Washington, a bit north of Seattle. Our air quality is at 185 right now. It’s been very hazy here for days, but nothing compared to parts of Eastern Washington, Oregon and California. There are so many tragic stories of death and destruction and many people still missing. I feel very fortunate to only deal with haze.

our air quality as of 5:30 p.m. (PST) is at 468. a public safety alert has been issued to shelter in place. there are traffic alerts b/c you can't see the stop lights. thankfully it's not terribly hot so people can manage to keep their windows shut, and the powers that be are opening up indoor space for the homeless population to shelter. i keep thinking about how they couldn't use the air fire response earlier in the week b/c of the wind-now they can't because of all the smoke :( (and we are being told not to expect any positive changes until sometime monday at the earliest).

our air quality as of 5:30 p.m. (PST) is at 468. a public safety alert has been issued to shelter in place. there are traffic alerts b/c you can't see the stop lights. thankfully it's not terribly hot so people can manage to keep their windows shut, and the powers that be are opening up indoor space for the homeless population to shelter. i keep thinking about how they couldn't use the air fire response earlier in the week b/c of the wind-now they can't because of all the smoke :( (and we are being told not to expect any positive changes until sometime monday at the earliest).

I am fairly certain you're within a couple hours of me. I've seen 2-3 more days of this, so yeah...Monday.

I have asthma so I can't/won't leave the house except for an emergency until things are at least "moderate." I'm so thankful for my hepa filters and my inhalers! The last several years have been bad, but this really takes the cake.

So I didn't use to travel to WDW every summer. It's honestly kind of a crummy time to go, since it's SO hot and humid. But because our smoke has gotten so reliable, I now travel to WDW every late July/early August so I can breathe clean air. It's ridiculously hot here too, so it's really just the humidity that's the difference.

Yessss. I also have asthma. I have been using my inhaler every few hours and keeping the doors closed. I will need to go back to work on Monday. I have the option to work from home, but everything I need to teach remotely is at work, since I opted to work in the building and I dragged it back to work from having it at home.

I have an air purifier running. I ran it overnight in my bedroom, and leaving the room this morning, it was clear that my little machine is a powerhouse. I also have two box fans with air filters strapped to them. I didn't run them overnight, but they seem to be helping. I also am trying the simmering pot trick. The recommendation I saw is to use sage, rosemary, and thyme, but I don't have those. I'm using cinnamon and baking soda instead. It seems to be helping the smell, if nothing else!

My heart goes out to all of you and everyone suffering with these horrible fires. There really are no words.

I am wondering, however, is there aby way to possibly reduce the risk of these in the future? I remember learning way back in fourth grade when we were studying “forests”, etc.. that one thing that helps is to do “controlled” burns of the forest floor to get rid of the dry dead brush and allow for new growth. We were taught it also helps prevent wildfires.
Would this be feasible for states to implement? If they were to do smaller controlled burns in areas of high risk throughout the year, wouldn’t this help prevent some of the raging ones? I also realize the land mass involved is huge and a lot of what is burning is not necessarily forests. I also know there have been ongoing droughts which play a large part in this as well.
I guess I am just curious if there is “anything” that can be done to cut the risk going forward? It is just so horrible to see this happening year after year.

Praying the West Coast gets some relief soon.

My heart goes out to all of you and everyone suffering with these horrible fires. There really are no words.

I am wondering, however, is there aby way to possibly reduce the risk of these in the future? I remember learning way back in fourth grade when we were studying “forests”, etc.. that one thing that helps is to do “controlled” burns of the forest floor to get rid of the dry dead brush and allow for new growth. We were taught it also helps prevent wildfires.
Would this be feasible for states to implement? If they were to do smaller controlled burns in areas of high risk throughout the year, wouldn’t this help prevent some of the raging ones? I also realize the land mass involved is huge and a lot of what is burning is not necessarily forests. I also know there have been ongoing droughts which play a large part in this as well.
I guess I am just curious if there is “anything” that can be done to cut the risk going forward? It is just so horrible to see this happening year after year.

They already do controlled burns and carve out fire breaks. However, as you said it's a huge land area and not feasible to do this on a huge scale. They do as much as they can in areas near homes, but the home building has also extended into areas that really should never have been developed in the first place.

We need to build UP, not out, at least in CA. Everyone wants their SFH on a piece of land, though, so this is the result. You build further out into areas susceptible to wildfires and now we have a crisis.

Yes and no. My area does have controlled burns. However, our fires up here haven’t been in forests, they’ve been in the dry grasslands. In years past, it’s been from outdated power lines and this year was lightning. So while clearing out some of the forest areas could help, it wouldn’t have really mattered for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter