What’s for Dinner Tonight?

We are having snacks while watching the game. Pigs in a blanket, Brie bites, bacon wrapped scallops, wings and I’m going to bake off (in the toaster oven but I’m getting better at it) some frozen chocolate chip cookies (I made and froze the dough a few weeks ago) and make ice cream sandwiches for dessert.

Tonight is burrito bowls. The chicken is in the crockpot. I’ll also make Spanish rice, black beans, corn with jalapeño, salsa, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, and sour cream.

The bo ssam meal was a success. Pam and I were so enthralled by Usher’s abdomen we went thru 2 pounds of meat and 3/4s of a bottle of champagne 😉🤣. She brought the bottle as a hostess gift and that took care of our want to make cocktails.

Using up the pork roast leftovers and the scallion ginger sauce from last night in a ramen noodle soup. Spinach, a couple of string beans, julienned carrots and shiitake mushroom added for veggies. Always go well with supermarket ramen noodles minus the overly salty flavor packet.

Well last night’s eggplant rollatini was not a recipe I plan to repeat and I know there are more to be finished. IIt wasn’t bad tasting just not worth the effort. C’est la vie. Oh it wasn’t sauced with bolognese but instead a pretty good arrabbiata if I do say myself. Maybe if I think on it I can make it into a stew?

On to tonight’s meal. A friend is a football widow so she’s joining me for dinner.
We’ll have bo ssam ( Korean roast pork), an herb salad, white rice and dips for the roast. Clementines and lychee nuts for dessert. I’ve some ginger liqueur so maybe I’ll make some sort of cocktail to go with it and we can have a big grrl party.
Lychee nuts? As in dried lychee nuts with the crispy/thin shell and a fruit with the texture of raisins/prunes? We used to get these in Chinatown in Boston when I was a little girl. I have never seen them anywhere since then. I would die if I could find them again!
[Oddly, Cuervo gold tequila and tonic on ice tastes just like lychee nuts to me!]

After all the Super Bowl heavy food yesterday tonight we are having something lighter. I am grilling some chicken breasts. Then I am adding that to a salad with carrots, tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, and hard boiled eggs.

OH! I should have said that dinner tonight is Lemon Orzo CHicken. The recipe comes from Nigella Lawson. I have made some adjustments as a few reviewers have said they found it soupy and bland, so we'll see how it comes out. It's basically a small chicken, browned in the Dutch oven. Zest and juice of 2 lemons, about 5 carrots, 4 cups of sliced leeks, lots of garlic, a cup of white wine and 2 cups of chicken stock. Covered, it goes in the oven at 350 until the chicken is almost done. Then you throw in 1.5cups orzo, make sure it's pushed down into the liquid, and put it back into the oven, covered, for 15 minutes, then let it stand, still covered, for another 15 minutes. The pictures are lovely; hopefully the results will be as good.

OH! I should have said that dinner tonight is Lemon Orzo CHicken. The recipe comes from Nigella Lawson. I have made some adjustments as a few reviewers have said they found it soupy and bland, so we'll see how it comes out. It's basically a small chicken, browned in the Dutch oven. Zest and juice of 2 lemons, about 5 carrots, 4 cups of sliced leeks, lots of garlic, a cup of white wine and 2 cups of chicken stock. Covered, it goes in the oven at 350 until the chicken is almost done. Then you throw in 1.5cups orzo, make sure it's pushed down into the liquid, and put it back into the oven, covered, for 15 minutes, then let it stand, still covered, for another 15 minutes. The pictures are lovely; hopefully the results will be as good.
That sounds divine. I love Nigella’s recipes.

Lychee nuts? As in dried lychee nuts with the crispy/thin shell and a fruit with the texture of raisins/prunes? We used to get these in Chinatown in Boston when I was a little girl. I have never seen them anywhere since then. I would die if I could find them again!
[Oddly, Cuervo gold tequila and tonic on ice tastes just like lychee nuts to me!]
Still several predominately Chinese neighborhoods spread amongst the boroughs of NYC so easy to get what you want. I used canned lychee nuts this time but you can get the dried figgy version from Amazon.com if need be 🙂. Oh and hear hear to lychees and tequila! I’ve a martini type cocktail recipe that might satisfy if you like?

Now that my kitchen is back in business, I've re-started our meal subscription service. It's been a year or more since we used it last. One thing that's glaring is that with the increased price of food, the menu choices have very few protein options. The basic menu choices are lots of ground meat and eggs. Better cuts of chicken, pork, beef and seafood are now all "premium" and can cost as much as $10/extra per serving. We've never been ground-meat people, but I'll be giving some interesting-looking recipes a try. :goodvibes

Neighbor brought me over some BBQ from their Super Bowl party. That was dinner tonight. Yummy smoked brisket and salad.
We have some leftover smoked brisket from my son’s party and some pulled pork from my daughter’s. We will eat them for lunches

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter