• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What’s for Dinner Tonight?

Rainy day and we are both exhausted. DH = leftover tacos. Me = a scrambled egg, a breakfast sausage and a piece of toast. Done and done and we didn't grab takeout.

your egg/breakfast sausage/toast would have run you $9.99 before tax and tip here ('lighter appetite' menu at the chain coffee shop)-good savings to make it at home!

Rainy day and we are both exhausted. DH = leftover tacos. Me = a scrambled egg, a breakfast sausage and a piece of toast. Done and done and we didn't grab takeout.
I did the same thing Monday. Also glad that I didn’t give in and go out. The meal cost less than a dollar because the potatoes were leftover and the cost of the eggs and bread were negligible

In hand, some leftovers, some never used: a ball of mozzarella, turkey, tomato confit, roasted red peppers, pesto, broccoli stalks, 1/2 box chicken broth.

Making a tomato, turkey and grilled mozzarella sandwich with red peppers and green pesto.
Bowl of julienned broccoli stalks (tastes a lot like asparagus when you trim it well) in chicky broth. Be nice if there was sourdough bread but I’ve only German dark rye so it’ll work well enough.
Roasted broccoli stems I think are better than the florets.Just love them.

Recipe, please?
3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast, about 1 pound
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup sliced almonds (I put more)

Oven 400 degrees
Stir together chicken, celery, bell pepper, cheese, soup, green onions, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish.
Sprinkle almonds over top.
Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Checked the fridge and found the following to use up: Brussel sprouts, sour cream, yogurt, 1/2 ham steak, 1 red potato, and a few other odds and ends.

Going to try a simplified and faster version of choucroute garnie, a dish from the borderlands of France and Germany. Sauerkraut and pork with potatoes, carrots and pickles. Sounds a bit strange but amazingly yummy.

Going to quarter the sprouts, boil the new potato in chicky broth ( that’s an ingredient that’s always in the house) and that’s as far as I’ve gotten so far, LOL.
Think I ll read a couple of cooking reference books to better pin down the flav.
Guess I’ll have something in my head by tonight and hopefully no trips to the market needed.

3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast, about 1 pound
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup sliced almonds (I put more)

Oven 400 degrees
Stir together chicken, celery, bell pepper, cheese, soup, green onions, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish.
Sprinkle almonds over top.
Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Reads well 😎
Do you serve it on a bed of greens or is the salad just part of the name?

Needed to use up some veggies last night so made a stir fry with zucchini, onion, and mushrooms. Served it over rice with a fried egg and Sriracha on top. Will eat leftovers of that tonight.

Korean Bulgogi (soy mix flavored ground beef) on top of rice drizzled with a sriracha sour cream sauce. On top of that goes some pickled cucumber and saute'ed carrot sticks.

Supposed to have beef and veggies stir fry but husband forgot to buy beef strips,

We ordered pizza as I had coupon.

Beef stir fry tomorrow.

Huli chicken and white rice. We are flying by the seat of our pants. The menu has gone out the window this week. But we are still eating at home so whatever. I think we will have a grocery trip tomorrow which will help. We have been eating down pantry and freezer but not quite prepared to do a full shop so we shall see.

Tonight was leftovers as we leave for a long weekend tomorrow afternoon. Leftover chicken and meatballs, pierogi and a Cesar salad mix.

I had chicken on top of the salad and a couple meatballs. DH had the rest of the meatballs and all of the pierogi. He finished with a 1/2 a peanut butter sandwich. He loves his peanut butter.

Still some chicken left. Dd is having boy trouble and refusing to eat. Out with him now. If she doesn’t finish the chicken tonight I will eat it for lunch before we leave tomorrow. She might need a trip for ice cream or crappy fast food when she comes home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter