What’s for Dinner Tonight?

We're having dinner out for DD's birthday, so I might actually have an aspirational contribution for a change. The demands of three elderly parents in often precarious health along with my job have swept away many aspects of our previous lifestyle. I'm rarely motivated or inspired to cook much anymore, not that it's necessarily a tremendous loss since I'm a seat of my pants cook at best anyways.

No idea where we're eating, but I don't have to plan, shop, prepare or clean up after it, so I'm in!

There was a manager’s sale of beef shin today and caught it quite by accident.
Bought 8 lbs without a clear idea of what to do with it. Despite trying to empty the freezer this was a gift horse ($1.99/lb!) purchase and I’ll be speaking of it again in the near future. Also bought 3 lbs of ground turkey which is easier to use: meatballs and Bolognese sauce come to mind right off the top.

Well those are future meals and tonight I heated up the last of the green minestrone soup which I hope to make another batch of before the price and quality of asparagus changes.

I so enjoy this bowl of green deliciousness and as note to self will make next batch with ditalini pasta instead of orzo; more chew.

There was a manager’s sale of beef shin today and caught it quite by accident.
Bought 8 lbs without a clear idea of what to do with it. Despite trying to empty the freezer this was a gift horse ($1.99/lb!) purchase and I’ll be speaking of it again in the near future.

How does one cook beef shin? I’ve never heard of it in the South.

I’d still like to hear what you are having. I am always looking for inspiration!

Food is a weird favorite subject for me - whether it is from your kitchen or someone else's. Please share ...and safe travels!

For me the focus is on what is eaten not the who cooked it. I get inspiration from all sources and think I’m not alone 👍🏾
Thanks for the feedback. @Minnesota! I appreciate the safe travels comment.

Tonight we went to a farm to table restaurant on the Eastern Shore in Maryland. DH lost his mind & ordered way too much food. :sad2: We don't normally order so much.

We had an off menu sautéed lettuce appetizer from a local farm. It was more like a roasted lettuce wedge with a slightly spicy tahini sauce. We also had Shoots & Shroom, which was described as maitake mushrooms, pea shoots, radish, tonnato. He also ordered Prince Edward Island Mussels & Fire Roasted Trout w/ speck, watercress, fennel, cured olive, mustard sauce. Needless to say, we have plenty left for lunch. I'll be having the Shoots & Shrooms w/ a little trout. DH will eat the lettuce & the remaining trout.

How does one cook beef shin? I’ve never heard of it in the South.
It’s a cut of meat that’s newly popular in the USA
but has a long more recent history of use in most other parts of the world. As the name implies it’s from the lower leg and is filled with collagen and well exercised meat that becomes tender when cooked with liquid.

It’s great when braised or simmered for stewing,soup, aspic or stock making. You can find traditional UK dishes using the cut and on this side of the pond I suspect it was used in chipped beef but haven’t done any research on that thought. Thinking it could make a nice picadillo or taco mix as well.

As I decide better how I’ll use it I’ll keep all informed. 🙂

Last edited:
What are porcupine meatballs and can you share the recipe? 👍🏾
Basically, ground beef mixed with uncooked rice, some minced onion, salt & pepper, rolled into meatballs, and put in the pressure cooker with tomato soup and a little water.

This is basically Grandma's recipe: Porcupine meatballs - allrecipes.com, though she called for half the rice, and the same amount of pepper as salt. We've always made them in a pressure cooker. The recipe I have calls for 10 min at 15 lbs, let the pressure come down on it's own; or 15 min at 15 lbs, and release the pressure right away. I put them in the Instant pot on normal pressure for 15 minutes, and usually release the pressure manually.

They're definitely comfort food in our family. Sometimes served over mashed potatoes (mmmmmm!).

@dizneegirl-got ground turkey on sale and meatballs are definitely going to be made with some of it. Adding rice sounds like it would make them extra filling and hints on the animal name 😎

Had to cook or freeze a bunch of ground beef yesterday, so made a big batch of porcupine meatballs.
Porcupine meatballs? I've only never heard of such a thing. :scratchin Im off to google!

EDIT: I googled it. Looks delish! Its pretty much an almost identical recipe for the meat mixture for stuffed peppers! yum!

I still have like 6lbs of meatballs and sauce, so I am going to use my lunch hour to throw together (another) pasta bake. And then have that with salad. Will freeze the rest of the sauce. The pasta bake will be good leftovers for lunches and late-night snacks for the teen after he gets off at midnight the next few nights.

Just a simple pot of turkey chili tonight with some cornbread on the side.

Ended up at a tiny local Italian restaurant last night for DD's birthday and I so enjoyed my Eggplant Siciliano. Has to be my most enviable contribution to the thread by a long shot.

A couple months ago I made up some porcupine meatballs and mashed potatoes for the first time in several years. Everyone enjoyed them.

Just a simple pot of turkey chili tonight with some cornbread on the side.
Used 1-1/2 lbs of the ground turkey to make mini meatballs today and into the freezer the portions go.

After a lot of thought, white chili with beans will be what is for the remaining 1-1/2 lbs. Was really wanting to try a new to me Thai recipe but chili is so comfy and I’ve all the needed ingredients.

Thanks for “pushing” me in the right direction! 😎

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter