What age to take your kids to WDW ~ A Story

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi! The first time I went to WDW I was 11 years old ~ too old and too cool for Dumbo ride ~ so I think at the time ~ so I didn't get to ride Dumbo until I was 32 years old with my 4 year old dd.

So when folks ask me "At what age should I bring my kids to WDW?" I say, "As soon as you can afford to go!"

My dd has been 3x, ages 4, 7 and 8. ds has been 2x, ages 15 months and 27 months. All trips were magical!

So here is a story....we have dear friends with children that play with my children. For several years, I've been hearing this from my friend, "We can't wait to go to WDW ~ we are waiting until the kids are old enough to enjoy it and remember it." Last week we all were talking about Disney and her kids announced that they are too old and too cool for WDW and don't want to go. My friend was crushed. She's been really looking forward to WDW. Everytime they had the extra money to go to WDW, they'd play the 'logical game' and spend the money of new furniture, floors, carpets ~ really things they didn't need, but they saw $$$ and reasoned it on tables and chairs instead of parades and Peter Pan. Now it's too late, the kids don't want to go because they are 'too old'. The furniture my friend bought has worn out, the floors and carpets need replacing and they still don't have WDW memories. I am very sad for my friend and her kids. Now my friend won't see her dd's face light up at the first sight of Cinderella's castle, her son won't giggle as Goofy plays around before an autograph and a picture. When her kids announced they didn't want to go, I saw the "it's too late" look on her face.

The morale to my story.......you know. S

I completely agree with you. The first time we took our kids to WDW was 9 years ago when they were 4 and 2 1/2. They really don't remember our visit when they were little. But I do. I remember my daughter's face when she saw Ariel who she absolutely was in love with. I remember their excitement at seeing Mickey Mouse and all of the characters. I remember riding Dumbo, the tea cups, and all of the rides in FantasyLand and Not riding Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and all of the thrill rides.

We had not been to WDW since then until our visit last month and now my kids are 11 and 12. We had a wonderful time but our visit was completely different from our 1993 visit. This time we rode all of the thrill rides and only went on It's a Small World because I wanted to. We didn't wait in line for autographs because my kids think they are too cool for that.

I wouldn't trade either visit for the other. Each one was great for the age my kidsl were at the time. Is their a best age to visit WDW? No, all ages are the best for different reasons.

Elise

This is exactly what I try to tell so many of my friends when they say they are waiting for their kids to get "old enough". I always say by then they are too old you've missed the best times. There is nothing better than when your child believes they are really meeting Mickey or the other characters. My goal was to take the kids (I have 4) every other year. We ended up joining the DVC so we could go every year. Now that my youngest is 7 we still go for a few days every year but we're also spending more time at Universal and plan on trying Sea World. But our Disney memories will always be my favorite.

I am pleased that I have at least two friends that I talked into not waiting and one of them has been twice the other is planning a second trip soon.

By the way we also tried the Disney Cruise this last spring break, the kids thought it was great...but I do wish we had tried it sooner. I waited before we went on the cruise because I was scared the little ones would fall off the boat. No need to worry, everyone had a great time and in fact we're going on the 7 day cruise in March 2004.

We build foundations for our kids. My kids don't remember their 1st birthday. But they know they had a birthday party with friends and family who love them and wanted to share time with them. My dd can't remember when she learned the alphabet but she's getting A's in writing at school. What we do and don't do with or for our kids MATTERS!

I just can't imagine what it would be like to promise my kids WDW trips and never go ~ what does that tell them? What message are they getting from that? Don't truth Mum ~ maybe.

I don't mean to get 'heavy' about this. But I adore this family (in my original post) and my heart just broke for them. I wish I would turn back time so they could go to WDW! S

The first time we took our girls to WDW they were 3 and 5. They're now 11 and 13. Each trip is unique but there will never be another time when they went for the first time and they still believed that everything was "real"! We never had a problem with not taking naps, although they crashed every night, no mid day hissy fits and nothing but great memories. And the pictures are priceless! Our first trip was to the Polynesian, we even did the character Luau the night before we flew home. Our favorite picture is our 3 year old sitting buck naked on the bed with the leis from the luau wrapped around her head and body and her arms crossed refusing to go home! They've loved Disney ever since. It's too bad your friend didn't take them when they were younger....they'd be as addicted as the rest of us!:rolleyes:

We also took the kids when they were "too little to remember". But they do, they remember from the stories we tell them, and the pictures they see of when they were young.

The first trip was when DD's were 4 1/2, 2 & my DS was 1, my DD's met the "REAL" Cinderella! "From the book!" they told everyone when we got home! It was so special. Now at 16 & 14 they STILL want to vacation there and see younger siblings make the same memories they have!

Another trip my 5th child, DS, was just 1 and we have pics of Donald Duck getting him to walk in circles after his pacifer! Another of him sleeping in Meeko's arms at LTT! No dinner for him that night.

We've had 6 trips and so very many special memories...I try to tell all my friends to do this early...but not every one is a Disney person, and some don't see my addiction for disney the way I do...I feel so bad for the family in the fist post.

Very well said. The time we spend & memories we make with our families are priceless...no furniture or floors can offer so much happiness & magic. (At least not mine...maybe I have the wrong furniture & floors...)

Thanks for the story. My DH and I always had said we would wait until the girls were "older" before we went to WDW. Luckily, my DH was accepted to present at a conference in Tampa and we both looked at each other and said "Let's go to WDW now!" Our girls will be 16 months and 3 years and I can't wait. My DD age 3 has told just about everyone in the state of Maine that she is going to Disney to see Mickey Mouse and she has practically memorized every part of the free tape that WDW sent. My youngest daughter actually requested the disney tape over Elmo yesterday and screamed in joy through the whole intro about the theme parks!

For now on when people ask why we are taking them when they won't remember it I will say, "I want to take them before they are too old to go to WDW with mom and dad and just because I want to go!":Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I agree with everything said above!!!

I also want to say this story just broke my heart ! :(

The one thing we can never get back is time.

Thanks for all your replies! And your understanding that you are never to young for WDW!

Some background: My dd is 8.5 years old. When she saw born, doctors said she had a heart murmur. After 9 hours of tests, the doctors announced, "We put your baby on morphine and the helicopter will be here in 9 minutes." They airlifted my angel to a special hospital. She wasn't suppose to make it. Well, she showed them! Three heart operations later, my fabulous dd plays softball, is on the track team at school, has great grades and a wonderful sense of haha!

Her first WDW trip was 1998, she was 4.5 years old, it was a MAKE A WISH trip. dh thought 4.5 was too young, but I knew better. The trip was so marvelous, I promised we'd go back and we did, two more times!

Having a sick kid immediately threw my priorities into line and WDW/spending fab time with my family, tops the list!

My dad says this, "On your death bed, no one says 'I should have spent more time at the office.'"

Same thing with WDW trip for us. I won't be an old lady saying, "I wish I bought a new car 50 years ago, nope! I want to say, I'm so happy I went to WDW 50 times with my family." S

I agree with all the above posts....It is amazing how many people think we are crazy for taking our 2 little ones in May. There are wonderful things to see and do at any age! I can't wait to go and see their little faces light up!!! 9 months to wait...too long!!!

Jean:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I so excited for all of you who are talking for wee ones soon! My ds was 15 months old his first trip and he loved it! He often wants to watch our vacation home videos!

I guess my bottom line is, if you want to go to WDW and you can afford to go to WDW you SHOULD go to WDW ~ no matter the ages of your kids.

I'll been saving $$$$ for years from my PT job. We started calling the money, THE DISNEY ACCOUNT. We went to WDW twice with that money and now we use it for other vacations too. I will need a car sometime in the next year or two, but I don't need a 'keep up with the Jones brand new car.' a nice nearly-new-slightly-used-previously enjoyed car with be perfect! So lots of the Disney Acct money will go towards the car. I've become a very good saver, WDW is a fabulous motivator! My next car might be about $10,000, my next WDW trip will be priceless. S

Originally posted by SandraC
My dad says this, "On your death bed, no one says 'I should have spent more time at the office.'"

Very profound!!! You have a wise dad!

Since the invention of the camcorder, the reason of "they won't remember that trip" is no longer valid. Our dd's first trip was a couple of months before she turn 3. She remembers everything because she watches herself all of the time on video. She will be 6 next month and has been to Disney 3 times and is going back in May. This past June we took our 16 month old ds with us, this was his 1st trip. It was magical. When we were in the airport waiting for our flight down to MCO, he stood up on his own for the first time and just took off, there was no stopping him. Once we got to Disney, he would squeal and run up to the characters and we have all of this on video. These trips are not just for my kids but for me too. I just love to watch them every minute we are there. And as someone else said, we are creating the next generation of Disneyfanatics..... and proud to say so ;)

My dd has been three times, each time dh video tapes her face as she sees the castle for the first time per trip! I've editted them together and it's beautiful!

My ds was 15 months old for his first trip and he adores characters!

I am playing the 'should we go March 2003' game in my head. I figure since dd has been 3x's and ds 2x's, we would wait until ds was 40 inches tall for Spc Mtn etc.,. But WDW is calling! If we don't go March 2003, we will definately go 2004! S

We were debating about taking the camcorder, but after reading all the posts we are definitely bringing it!

Yup! There is nothing better on a rainy day than watching an old WDW family video! In fact... its raining here now....I think I'll pop ours in!:p

We bought a new camcorder especially for WDW trips! dh always questions bring it, but I wouldn't leave it home for the world!

June 1998, 3 hours of tape, edited to 30 minutes

April 2001, 4.5 hours of tape, edited to 30 minutes

April 2002, 3.5 hours of tape, edited to 48 minutes

We often watch the LONG versons for ourselves. The edited versons are for friends and family.

I'd say we watch our video's 5-6 times a week. My kids love them! Even if for only 5 minutes! My 2 year old ds calls the last video BALL, he means Epcot, his fav park!

S

I totally agree that waiting to take your kids is a mistake! We went to Disney with DS(4), DD(2) and our 4 month old- everyone thought that we were nuts, but it was something that I know I will always treasure. My kids were in awe of just about everything they saw, from the characters to the castle, the parades. I know that I will never forget my daughter's face when we saw the electric light parade and cinderella's coach came down the street- words can't describe her expression but I will forever remember that look-priceless! My 4 month old slowed us down a little but that also worked to our advantage- we were able to take in more of the things that you tend to overlook when you are so busy running from one ride to the next- Disney offers a lot of entertainment aside from the rides, you just have to slow down enough to enjoy it.
I am now planning our next trip for november- december 2003, and I am sooooo excited- it is so important to try and grab happiness when and where we can! :D

Sandra, what a sad story-really.

I am kind of laughing because if you saw our condo with our old "hand me down" furniture that we've had since we got married, you would think "Why are these crazies spending three nights at AKL???" Never mind all the sit-down and character meals..... This is our fourth trip this year.

Well, our DS was three when we first took him and got to be gatekeeper on his first ever time at MK! Even though he doesn't remember it that much, I think the certificate will be treasured when he is older (along with the pictures and video). Our house is plain ,but filled with framed photos of him with every character.

Furniture (and the like) is just stuff....
Disney is.... well, Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter