What age to take your kids to WDW ~ A Story

I have so enjoyed reading everyone's little stories of taking their kids to WDW.
We live in the UK, so going to WDW involves a bit more travelling than you all in the US. The flights themselves are usually the most expensive thing.
We have 2 DS's, now age 3 and 4, with less than 11 months between their two birthdays. Their first trip to WDW was in 2000, when the younger was just one day old. We had been once before as a couple and we couldn't wait to get back. We were due to go in 1998, but had to cancel because I cebcame pregnant.
Anyhow, next year will be their third trip to WDW. The older DS talks about it all the time. He knows all the rides, all the characters. They watch our home video of all our trips every day, and the planning video has worn out!!!!!
I must admit that when we were taking them for the first time in 2000 I kept thinking to myself 'Am I mad doing this????' I will admit it's a lot of work especially in 95 degree heat and we are used to a cool 65 in the summer!!!!! But after the first character meal at Garden grill and Mickey, Chip n Dale, and they gave the kids a hug. It was magical. I was almost crying!!!!!!
Our neighbours have kids aged 2 and 6 and she says they wouldn;t appreciate going a vacation like that. um excuse me, but this is kids we are talking about!!!!!

So, now we are going next year too, kids will be almost 4 and 5. As they get older they will enjoy different things at WDW. Hopefully be tall enough to go on some more rides, but still young enough for the magic!!!!

Hi Pookey, (love your name btw) perhaps you should read all the posts to get the wonderful essence of the thread. I support all the comments and remarks without judgement. My friends, "story" is common. I hope some day they do get to go. I'm waiting with extra park maps for them! ;) S

When we brought our older son for the first time he was 4 1/2 and I was six months pregnant. I figured let's go now because we'll have to wait some years before we'll bring the baby.

Last year my dad had a conference in Disney last November and we decided to go because he was able to help get us a great deal.....why not? My little guy was almost 2 1/2. I thought with my head "he's too young" but in my heart I just went with it.

Video is the best ever. Before we went, my little guy watched "DJ Mickey Mouse" (our video from when I was pregnant) Over and over until we left. (DJ is our older son). There is actually a part on the video where DJ says "next time we come here we will have another member in our family"

When we got home from our trip last year all my little guy wants to watch now is "Christopher Mickey Mouse". Video helps him to remember all he saw!!!

I have to admit, I was definitely one of those people that said don't bring them when they are too small BUT after seeing the look on my little guys face when he saw the castle for the first time (caught that on video) I have definitely changed my mind!!

There is nothing like seeing Disney through the eyes of the young......I am so thankful that my dad had that conference. I would never have the memories I hold so dear!!

My ds doesn't talk ~ just one of those kids who is delayed with speach. TODAY he points to Mickey Mouse and clearly said MOUSE! Then points to Donald Duck and says UCK. I love it! Never too young! S

We went on a big family trip to Disneyland when I was about 3 or 4. My cousin was a year older than me, and my other cousin was one.

We went back when i was about 7. This time my sister, 3 yrs at the time came, so did my other younger cousin who was quite little.

Went back at age 9, and finally went to WDW last year.

The day after we got back to WDW (it was just me, my parents, and my sister) I started telling my mom "We have to go again with all the cousins and grandma and grandpa and everyone" and I basically started planning the trip then. Finally talked them all into the trip in April.

This time there's gonan be TEN of us.

Jessica (6) Katie (8) Jennifer (9) Victoria (12) Danielle (14) then, my parents, and my grandparents.

I'm probably going to like it a lot more than my last trip because Danielle and Victoria will be there and they're my age.

Only problem is, Jessica is afraid of auto flush toilets and we want to get her a stroller for later on in the day when we get to the parks, but she's at that age where she thinks she's like the older girls and any indication that she's younger makes her upset. And she's a pretty outspoken stubborn little girl.

Hopefully everything will go according to plan.

Can't wait 'till january! :bounce:

Basically, the bottom line is that you have to do what is best for you and your own family. For my family, that meant waiting until the youngest was at least 5 (the oldest was 10 at the time). DH and I had been to WDW just the two of us and we saw so many parents dragging hot, tired, cranky children along (BTW, I am NOT making a generalization that ALL children in the parks are hot, tired, and/or cranky!! ) that we decided to wait until our kids were a little more self-sufficient, ie: out of diapers, could be held off between meals with a quick snack, and did not have to be on a rigid schedule of naps/bedtime. It was the right decision for US as a family and we had a <b>fantastic</b> time in 2000. At the time, I approached the vacation as the possibility of being once in a lifetime, so I wanted to "make it count" with everyone being able to remember the trip. Of course, we went once, and now I'm addicted! I am hoping to get a quick trip just DH and I in November, and then a second family trip in May.

I think there are a lot of people for whom Disney is just a once or twice-in-a-lifetime (family) trip, so they too want to "make it count" as far as everyone being able to remember it.

Just my .02 worth!

Sammy :D

My husband and I wanted to go to Disney World, so we took our barely-two year old daughter. We knew that we would be "trying" for another baby soon, and we wanted to go before we had two. The trip was really for us.

Did she have fun? Sure. In the pool. We rode nothing and we spent a great deal of time in the hotel room, which was okay -- we expected it. Does she remember it? No, but she likes to look at the pictures. Would I do it again? No. Does that mean you shouldn't do it? No.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, everyone for this thread. I actually got in a fight with some men about this topic on another board and it had to be closed it got so heated!!!!!!! Needless to say this thread has made me feel better knowing there are others we agree with me.

My husband and I have taken a trip to WDW for the past 7 years. Last year we had a baby and didn't let this stop us. We spent a week at Poly in early Dec and had a wonderful time. (she was almost 9 months old.) We enjoy our annual trip so much we just joined DVC. This year we are going to stay at BCV and our DD will be 23 months old. While I think we may be crazy for taking a almost 2 year old, we know the parks and trip so well, that if she doesn't want to do anything we won't. Not a problem to live acording to her needs, that is what we do at home anyway!:D

She loves pictues and looks at the photo album from the trip we took daily, event talks about it. She also likes to look at pictues from trips we went on before she was born.

We really look forward to being able to share the "world" with her again and again.

I agree that this is a very personal choice. You know your kids better than anyone. My DS was 9 on our first trip. Perfect for us. The only thing I hate to see also is tired, cranky kids who should be napping or at a pool. We were on the boat from MK to FW and it was filled with kids, some sleeping, some crying and some just out of sorts. I was thinking well they have had a long day at MK now they can go back and rest. Wrong!! Most of them were headed to the 5:15 Hoop-Dee Doo show:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter