What am I missing but not shopping in the countries at Epcot?

minnie1012

DIS Veteran
I hate to admit this but I have never gone in the shops at Epcot! (other than the stores in Future World) I always assumed it would be expensive things I would not be interested in. So what I am missing? Should I venture in on my trip this year? My daughters are big Hello Kitty, My Melody fans, do they have items in Japan? What types of things do you find? What countries should I try for unique items that aren't super pricey?

that is my favorite thing to do, buy some little things from each country, they are usually authentic items to that country, I always think if you like things at world market store you are going to find things to buy in the country stores

The gift shop in Japan, which is one of my favs, definitely has Hello Kitty stuff. Inexpensive things I have purchased from various WS shops are: Elegant lipstick (or chapstick) cases (Keep it in my purse and each time I use it it takes me back to wdw!), scented soaps, mini ceramic food dishes (for dipping sauces), fancy little tins of hard candy, bookmarks, shortbread (from UK), leather wallet from Mexico.
It's neat to take home a little piece of culture from these countries that some of us will never actually get to visit.
Mexico, China and Japan seem to have the largest selection of reasonably priced items.
Enjoy!

Just be careful what you buy. We were at the German Pavilion a few years ago where my daughter found some carved resin animals she liked. They were fairly pricey and we didn't get them. I'm really glad we didn't because after we got home, we were at Walmart or Target (don't remember which) and saw the exact same things made by the same manufacturer for a fraction of the price. My best advice would be to buy things that are hand-made from the country of the pavilion. Some items that look mass produced will most likely be found elsewhere for cheaper. Have fun!!

You're correct to think there's some very expensive items in those shops. But there are also lower priced items if you look around. And really, it's fun to look around the stores even if you don't buy anything. They have some very interesting things!

Japan store and their Hello Kitty stuff is one of my daughter's favorites! And, she will be 18!

Its definitely nice to see so many different things and there are some nice things. I bought my DD 21, who studied in London last year, a T-shirt from England of Mickey in one of the phone booths and then framed it to make a picture for her apartment...not something I would have found anywhere else!!!

China and Japan are "must do's."

Also, don't forget the French bakery in France; it sits in the rear and is often missed unless you walk in the back. Lots of hidden gems and great photo places too.

Enjoy!

I love going in the shops! Even if I don't find something to buy, it's still fun looking at all the unique items.

One of my favorites is the shop right near Les Halles. They sell tons of French-style Disney souvenirs. We picked up a little Eiffel Tower figurine w/ Mickey standing next to it- it was only $12.99! I also love walking around the large store (Mitsukoshi?) in Japan. That's where pick-a-pearl is, which is a great little souvenir!

We've not spent much time shopping in Epcot on previous trips either but this year was different. Both my daughters (14 and 10) had a ball in Japan and even made a couple of return trips to that shop. The older one is into anime and manga and bought a lot of things for herself and her friends there. Plenty of Hello Kitty to interest your dd too. The same dd is also obsessed with Doctor Who. We bought a bunch of Christmas gifts for her in England (including a dalek poster she also bought for herself while shopping with her cousins :D ).

Agree with the other poster about overpriced items available elsewhere. My kids are always checking Amazon before buying to see if they can get a better deal. Times have certainly changed!

We love the Japanese shop! It is our tradition to get a Japanese soda and pack of Hi-Chews.

Just be careful what you buy. My best advice would be to buy things that are hand-made from the country of the pavilion.

Good advice. We try to turn things upside down and check the "Made in..." labels. Not cool to come home with a souvenir from Morocco that was "Made in China"!

We love shopping in the countries at Epcot. Every day I wear at least one piece of jewelry that I purchased at WDW and most often it is from one of the countries. I also love it when one of my friends tell me I have a cute leather bag and ask me where did I get it and I can tell them Mexico in Epcot. And who can pass up on the wine tasting in the countries.

I love to buy dishes from the Japanese pavilion in EPCOT. I have various pieces from the last 18 years - we just keep adding to the collection.

We really liked Japan's store and spent time in there. I thought the most beautiful country was Morocco. According to Wikipedia, "King Hassan II actually sent Moroccan artisans to design and create the many mosaics." It was so cool.

my girls always stop in Morocco for Henna Tattoos. last trip we had to stop in England for Jammie Dodgers(?) and Morocco for a fez for my whovian daughter

If you are into Christmas ornaments there is a great store in the Germany pavilion that has a bunch of gorgeous ornaments. They aren't all cheap but there are some really beautiful blown glass ornaments, some even in the shape of Mickey's head.

I hate to admit this but I have never gone in the shops at Epcot! (other than the stores in Future World) I always assumed it would be expensive things I would not be interested in. So what I am missing? Should I venture in on my trip this year? My daughters are big Hello Kitty, My Melody fans, do they have items in Japan? What types of things do you find? What countries should I try for unique items that aren't super pricey?

You will find Hello Kitty GALORE in Mitsukoshi, the shop in Japan. We go in every time to check out the Sailor Moon stuff. The prices are a little on the steep side, though. If you're looking for weird, fun, relatively inexpensive things, go further inside Mitsukoshi and check out the food section- they carry the weirdest treats and great prices! You might even recognize some of it. ;)

Some of our favorite places to stop in Epcot is the German pavilion for sweets. They have these little individually wrapped chocolate cubes for $.60 each in various flavors, and I always say I'm going to take them home with me but end up eating them the same day. LOL. We're also big fans of the shopping spots in France, and United Kingdom. But beware, in the UK area they have soccer jerseys that cost a freaking arm and a leg. I almost yelped looking at the prices!

I am not a knickknack person. so I have bought a German cookbook in Germany (I really like cookbooks) and some sort of asian shrimp chips bc I like weird food.

the only thing that really interests me is interesting foreign candy/snacks in the stores.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter