What annoys you about your own home?

We built our home so I only have myself to blame. My main complaint is our laundry room is the way from the garage to the house and isn't very big, so if I drop laundry while getting it out, I drop it onto where we walk which I cannot stand lol. Backing up to it is our master bath - which I now say I would have made smaller. It is large with a stand alone shower and a garden tub. The tub hardly ever gets used. So I wish I would have made that bathroom smaller and my laundry room larger.
Other then that, I've been pretty happy with it.

Not enough closet space
No basement
And since we had to renovate a couple of years ago because of a massive leak in the crawlspace we now deal with a lot more dust which we still cant figure out the cause. It's white dust so I'm assuming possibly from all the new drywall.

One thing I dislike about my home is the tiny laundry room. I wish it had a sink and space to air dry a few items. Another issue I have is the counters, especially in the kitchen. They are made up of 6" tiles and it's impossible to keep the grout looking nice. I'd love a solid surface countertop.
My laundry is in the bathroom next to the toilet. Across from the toilet and washer and dryer is the sink (nice an large). Not much of a choice being a mobile.

With the subfloor needing replaced, it's not real stable in there for the washer. I can't get it perfectly level and the whole place shakes when I do laundry.

I've never had tile countertops and aside from the ability to lay hot pans down, I wouldn't like that at all.

Where it’s at (my actual neighborhood and street are wonderful but it’s in North Dakota)
We have four small bedrooms and a small bathroom. Like one room is so small there is no closet. I’d rather have 3 and a larger bathroom
There’s no bathroom on the main floor
We don’t have a driveway only a parking pad behind the garage in the alley and my husbands truck doesn’t really fit there and we have two other cars So if he takes a Monday off (street cleaning day) he either had to park on the side street two blocks away or get a ticket.

I don't like that my deck stairs go down to the side of our house instead of into our yard. It would make it so much easier to take the dog out if they went straight into the yard.

The basement is a walkout in the back, so the deck is a story off the ground.

When we redid our deck, I mentioned this, but DH didn't think it was necessary, so the stairs remained where they were. I know that I shouldn't have listened, but it wasn't a fight worth having.

That when I come downstairs there is no light switch at the bottom of the stairs. I have to walk across the living room in the dark to get to the switch. And conversely, when I go upstairs at night, I have to walk across the dark living room to get to the stairs. My living room is small and my son is set up for virtual school right in the middle so its quite an obstacle course.

we lived in a rental with a similar lack of linen storage but it got even stranger. there was what appeared to be a potential storage area on the second floor-a wall of beautiful oak cabinetry. the thing was, after we moved in and i went to use it to store linens we discovered that the cabinets were oddly shallow such that only washcloths could be traditionally folded and stored-to store bath towels you had to roll them:confused:. to look at the cabinets from the outside they looked totally normal depth but we soon realized that it was just the big ornate doors that created that illusion. what was meant to be stored in them we could never figure out (they were literally only about the usable depth of a paperback book). that house had NO bathroom storage to speak of-there were 3 and 2 had pedestal sinks so nothing in those for so much as an extra roll of t.p., and the master just had a small cabinet below the sink that was pretty much eaten up by the pipes.
Those must be toilet paper cabinets! Your builder anticipated the future need to stockpile large amounts of tp. Those will probably be standard build in houses from now on, along with built in hand sanitizer dispensers in every room.

We don't have ceiling lights in most rooms. (They were available, but we took my dad's advice and didn't put them in. I'm still not sure why he doesn't like them. He has rarely steered me wrong with his advice, but this is one case where I wish I had not taken it.)

Our laundry room is between our kitchen and the garage, so in addition to storing the washer/dryer it's also a hallway from the garage to the rest of the house. It is tiny, there are doors everywhere, and it is the busiest entry/exit of the house. It is just too darn small for the amount of activity that goes on in there. And, to make matters worse, the light switch is behind one of the doors.

So important question then where do you store your vacuum cleaner now? lol
Wellll

My "main" canister vacuum sits next to the hutch, out in the open (although against a wall). I have to use it several times a day to vacuum bird fluff.

I do have a smaller canister that takes up floor space in my master closet, which I only use for the master bathroom.

And I have an upright for carpet that just sits in the hall... right about where a coat closet should be.

I know... it's just ridiculous.

My kitchen is ridiculously out of date. My stove is from the 40’s. It’s charming but small and runs too hot. My cabinets are from the 60’s. My floor and sink are also probably from the 40’s. I think of them as ‘Mid Century Modern’.

My laundry room is kind of cramped. I wish it was slightly bigger so it could double over as a mud room.
Our yard is meh. Our yard is slightly more elevated than the neighbor’s so we can see over the fence and whenever their dogs are out they bark at us.

-Whoever did the drywall in this house was awful at it. It annoys me to look at but I'm also not going to take it down to the studs to fix it.
-Window air conditioner permanently installed in the master bedroom. Central air was retrofit about 10 years ago but the previous owners left it.
-Red shingles and the roof isn't that old. We really want to change the exterior color of the house but nothing we look at will mesh well with red.
-When you compare the lot line to some of the flower beds/trees it's really weird. We actually have a lot line that runs about 15 degrees compared to a line of evergreens (our neighbors own a patch of grass past those evergreens that looks like it's my yard).
-Master bathroom is a bit small. There is a hallway between that and the closet that really should be part of the master bath.

Other than that, love this place. It's more house than we will ever need and it's placed well on a decent sized lot.

I love my house most of the time.

I don’t like the open concept when I’m cooking fish, Indian, or broccoli.:sad2: Lingers FOREVER!!

I don’t like winter to begin with, but when shoveling my driveway I have limited access to open areas to put shoveled snow. I have side entry garage, and the opposite side of the doors is a small retaining wall with bushes to hide neighbors driveway. (Odd design at bottom of hill cul-de-sac)

Speaking of cul-de-sac, I do not like being the first house not at the end circle. All the visiting cars park in front of our house. It really irks me when the block my mailbox!

I love my house, but my bathrooms upstairs need to be redone & my pool needs to be replastered. The pool we plan to do before next pool season though.

My biggest annoyance is that the front door and garage entrance are on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen. So when we bring in groceries, we have to cross through the foyer and living room. I didn't think about this when I bought the house. It's a small house so not a huge deal, but it's annoying.

I wish my property had some trees for shade. It's under direct sun in the summer. We planted some trees but obviously it's going to take a long time before they can provide shade.

I love my house, but my bathrooms upstairs need to be redone & my pool needs to be replastered. The pool we plan to do before next pool season though.
Now that you mention it, I wish I had a bathroom on my first floor. There is a full bath in the basement and 2 on the second floor, but none on the first floor. I have a place that can be retrofit for it, but then I'd lose my coat closet.

Now that you mention it, I wish I had a bathroom on my first floor. There is a full bath in the basement and 2 on the second floor, but none on the first floor. I have a place that can be retrofit for it, but then I'd lose my coat closet.
I just have a 1/2 bath downstairs which is good enough. All the bedrooms are upstairs so there is no need for more than that downstairs.

A very, very small backyard. Not really usable, and I worry about it affecting the resale value when the time comes.

The smokers I live with. Ugh. They smoke by the stove with the vent going, but the stink still goes all throughout the house. The other thing is that I grew up in a big city and now I live in a small suburb with nothing to do. I get bored. And the last thing is that when I became disabled I had to give up my house and move in with my aunt. I wish the house was my own. And back in Philly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter