• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are the Dangers in the ocean @ VB ??

LarryKeith

Are we there yet!!
Any comments, advice ? Riptides, sharks, jellyfish, stingrays ? Any personal expereinces or any known situations that was something that a ocean novice should be aware of. :scared1:

In our experience, the waves and tide are extremely strong at VB that can knock an adult flat so use extreme caution, especially with children.

There have also been reports of sharks in the Vero Beach area, but I'm not aware of any directly on Disney property.

The most common problem is often a riptide. The resort does a very good job of posting when it's anticipated it will be occuring. There are of course all nature of possible 'dangers' swiming in any ocean water, and VB is no different.

I usually try to be aware of the tides, as I find it (YMMV) better to go ocean swimming there when the tide is coming in.

HTH

I've seen sharks, jelly fish and riptides at Vero Beach.

Also, Disney does not have lifeguards on the beach and is not responsible for anything that happens in the water there.

You swim at your own risk.

MsA

Any comments, advice ? Riptides, sharks, jellyfish, stingrays ? Any personal expereinces or any known situations that was something that a ocean novice should be aware of. :scared1:

This is Fla and the ocean so yes to all of the above, watch the rip tides, generally the calm looking spot between breaking waves. It's calm looking on the surface but the water is sucking out through there. If your fishing it's the best place to toss your line. For sharks just be smart, don't wade out to see the dolphins, sharks eat the same thing as dolphins, If you see fins just walk away. Avoid wearing jewelry in the water it reflects like bait fish. Jellyfish and sea mites are a strong possibilty in July when the water is warm. If your itchy a fresh water shower should do the trick. If your stung ammonia works in a pinch, guess where you can get some fast. yes it works. Stingrays like calm water I doubt if you'll see any in the surf unless it's really calm, they won't bother you unless you accidently step on one (not likely but I suppose anything is possible). Enjoy yourself and don't worry, you should be more concerned with sudden lightening storms so "keep an eye on the sky". :beach:

Statistically as far as accident risk goes, I'd say the drive there is your biggest problem. After that, probably the swimming pool. If you are alone at the beach, swimming in bad weather, or have been drinking, the ocean might show up on the chart at some point. Don't forget about the bathtub, stairs, etc. :thumbsup2

We enjoyed Vero. The waves and tides can be strong. One thing to watch for are all of the shells on the beach. It is possible to catch a sharp one, so wear flip flops, etc. That said, I will take a shell attack over a shark attack any day! ;)

There was a strong easterly wind when we were there at the end of March.
This brought in a higher than normal number of Man o War. Kept a lot of folks out of the water and made them watch their steps on the beach.

THe most likely true threat would be man-o-war. If the wind is blowing wrong they will be there. It will be posted or you will see them lying on the beach. Have ammonia on hand -- most lifeguards keep it around.

There are always sharks all along the coast. I guarantee you will be swimming with them. They don't usually attack, though.

I've been nabbed by crabs in S Fla. That hurts. Tiny rays hide in the sand, but I've never heard of anyone being stung by them. Shiny objects will attract barracuda, mackerel, bluefish which can bite.

:scared1:

The best thing is to get in a boat.

There aren't any lifeguards???????? :eek:
dolphin-jumping.gif

This is Fla and the ocean so yes to all of the above, watch the rip tides, generally the calm looking spot between breaking waves. It's calm looking on the surface but the water is sucking out through there.

Good advice, I was a surf lifeguard 20 years (and 20 lbs) ago and pulled my fare share of folks out of rip currents.

When I was at Vero in Feb, I helped a man who was being sucked out in a rip in front of the pier. He was a good swimmer but was trying to swim in the rip and that is just like running on a treadmill. If he had of swam down the beach, he would have been fine on his own. Of course the natural reaction when you are getting sucked out to sea is to swim back to shore.

In my opinon, Vero is a pretty safe beach but just use common sense. When the surf is up don't go out too deep unless you know what you are doing.

During the week I was there I noticed that the bottom seemed less stable in front of the pier and that is the real cause for rips. That is where allot of currents were...and of course that is where everyone was swimming. Up to the right was rip free. Not sure if this is always the case.

There aren't any lifeguards???????? :eek:
dolphin-jumping.gif

To be honest I can't remember any beach resort I have been at that had an actual lifeguard. The resort would have posted for riptides, man of war's or water too rough for swimming. At Sanibel Island, I have seen some big jellyfish(where's SpongeBob and his net when you need him), plus those nasty little crabs.

To be honest I can't remember any beach resort I have been at that had an actual lifeguard.

I think you are right. Don't quote me, but I am pretty sure all coastline beaches in the U.S. are public domain. So only publicly (govt) managed beaches will have lifeguards.

Also, for what it is worth, the beach in front of the Disney resort adjoins (is that a word?) a public beach area to the north and they do have lifeguards. So, I guess if it is a concern one could campout at the north end of the resort.

Maybe surfer_ed can comment on this.

as long as they don't have locals hawking hairbraiding, or is that offered poolside:) ?

FYI, you have to purchase beach tags in order to access in parts of NJ & Del

as long as they don't have locals hawking hairbraiding, or is that offered poolside:) ?

FYI, you have to purchase beach tags in order to access in parts of NJ & Del

Yep, they do it poolside. That is the one place that I took the time to let DD do it.

Okay- not to scare you, but my (then) 16 year old niece got bit by a shark while at Disney's Vero Beach in 2004.

She was swimming nearby us in late afternoon (3:30 ish). The waves were rather rough that day. There were some birds feeding nearby (should have been her first warning but she was an experienced swimmer). All of the sudden she screamed and ran out of the water and fell to the ground. I don't know if the shark thought her foot was a fish, or if she accidently kicked it and it retalliated. Who knows?

Anyway, she got bit by either a small shark or a juvenille. She has the double row of teeth scar to prove it! It's still pretty cool looking! She was wearing a swim shoe which saved her toes (and lots of stitches too).

Lots of bleeding, she got to ride in the ambulance to the hospital, Disney was great about the whole thing. Checked up on her, gave her a wheelchair to roll around the resort, etc.

Just be careful! I'm more into swimming in the pool now!

Just last week or so there was a story about two shark bitings in one day just a couple miles south of VB. Non related but it made one of the "big" news sites. Enough so my DW was a little rattled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter