What are you getting the teachers this Christmas?

I am a teacher and when I think of Holiday gifts the first thing that comes to mind is the wonderful joy my students have in bringing in a gift or card. Sometimes they are so excited they just unwrap it themselves and sometimes they don't know even know what it is. But kids are really full of the holiday spirit and enjoy sharing.

Sure I have a lot of mugs, and ornaments and lotions and all of that. Some times bake goods are eaten at my school and some times they are not. All of my fellow teachers are kind and appreciative of the thought and effort that goes into gifts. Some times a gift just isn't right for a person and thats ok too.

My favorite gifts are those that come with a little note from the parent telling me they picked out a craft store gift card because we had previously chatted about scrapbooking or better yet a crazy gift the child picked out on their own and the explanation why!

At my school and I hope yours too, the teachers care more about their students than getting the perfect item. The effort you put into getting the gift is the gift.

I am an assistant teacher for kids with and without special needs ages 18 months to 5 years. One of the best gifts I have received was when the parent dropped off the little girl for her second to last day, she brought us Panera Bread menus, with notes attached that she would be bringing us lunch on her daughter's last day. We were to circle what we wanted on the menus and she would pick them up when she dropped her DD off and bring us lunch when she came to pick her up. It was great! LOL, of course, this mommy is also a teacher so she knows a good gift! She also wrote us notes telling us how much she appreciated what a positive first experience away from mommy our group had been for her DD. I love getting notes from the parents!

::yes::

I'd MUCH rather have a $5.00 gift card than $10.00 or $20.00 worth of lotion, shower gels, ornaments, etc. :teacher:

Several years ago I had a parent come to me with an embarassed look & hand me a $5 giftcard to Blockbuster explaining that they were moving & money was tight. I was thrilled because it meant either a cheap date night or that I could get a used DVD for a few dollars or pennies.
If you want to give something I'd recommend:

-a nice bookmark. I've given nice ribbon bookmarks before.
-Sharpies in fun colors. I love my orange, royal blue & purple sharpies.
-cute post-it notes.
-a book that is a favorite of your child's for the class library.
-something in my favorite color. A pin, a scarf, it doesn't have to be something big.

I realize money is tight & times are tough. They are for me too. I love the intent & love behind each gift but I honestly can't use or keep all of them.

Someone here on the Dis alerted me on Labor Day. These http://www.verabradley.com/product/...defaultColor/Suzani/p/154832.uts?fromSearch=1 were $11. So I bought 8 of them.

Then I realized I was still short 3 gifts, so I got these: http://www.verabradley.com/product/...Color/Lemon+Parfait/p/154875.uts?fromSearch=1

What are you getting for the teachers of your kids?

My older 2, like most of the middle schoolers in my own school, no longer bring in Christmas gifts for their teachers.

I didn't have time to read the entire thread, but when DS was younger I donated money to local charities in the teachers names. My sister - who is a teacher - gave me the idea. She sends home letters in early November that instead of any gifts she would prefer the students give money or their time to a local food pantry, their church, etc. It's really inspired many to give back to their communities.

Janis

Something keeps hitting me when I read this thread.

Regarding Middle School teachers (and even High School) I don't get why those teachers are excluded from notes or tokens of appreciation. Other than the kids won't carry in anything :scared1::rolleyes1
But so far, mine don't mind handing teachers a card, and if they did, I'd still send one through the office.

IMHO, middle school teachers (and HS) have a much harder job than elementary teachers. Anyone with middle schoolers & teens will know what I mean!!:lmao:
In our community we have a great system with (mostly) great kids. But I still can't imagine having dozens in one room at one time. Some teachers have made a huge difference in two of our kids' lives already and I definitely want to acknowlege that with a little something.

Regarding Middle School teachers (and even High School) I don't get why those teachers are excluded from notes or tokens of appreciation. Other than the kids won't carry in anything :scared1::rolleyes1
But so far, mine don't mind handing teachers a card, and if they did, I'd still send one through the office.

IMHO, middle school teachers (and HS) have a much harder job than elementary teachers. Anyone with middle schoolers & teens will know what I mean!!:lmao:

In our community we have a great system with (mostly) great kids. But I still can't imagine having dozens in one room at one time. Some teachers have made a huge difference in two of our kids' lives already and I definitely want to acknowlege that with a little something.

Amen to that! I'm an elementary teacher, and I don't know how the secondary teachers do it! I'm sure they feel the same way about elementary teachers. :lmao:

My DH always gets such nice gifts from his middle school/high school students. He definitely appreciates being remembered during the holidays. :santa:

I suspect that it's because the kids have so many different teachers in the higher grades and see them for a much shorter time each day. I certainly don't have the connection to my dd's high school math teacher than I did to her fourth grade teacher.

I suspect that it's because the kids have so many different teachers in the higher grades and see them for a much shorter time each day. I certainly don't have the connection to my dd's high school math teacher than I did to her fourth grade teacher.

Oh ITA... but thats not the point.

The gifts or cards are from our kids, not us, (at least in our family) and our older kids are definitely connected to their teachers. Especially as they're contemplating their futures, ie college, occupations ect.

I'd venture to say that middle and high school teachers have a much greater imipact on kids, even if we parents don't know them as well.

(Just my opinion! No need to start another argument! ;) )

The gifts or cards are from our kids, not us, (at least in our family) and our older kids are definitely connected to their teachers. Especially as they're contemplating their futures, ie college, occupations ect.

I'd venture to say that middle and high school teachers have a much greater imipact on kids, even if we parents don't know them as well.

ITA, and I always send in a gift card for my son's HS teachers. I also listen when they talk about things they need. My son's geometry teacher is new this year and mentioned that the kids will not be doing work requiring protractors or compasses, because she does not have enough and some kids cannot afford them. So, I sent her links to some class packs I found and after she okayed them, I ordered them for her. OMG, you would have thought I gave her $1000! She was so excited and thanked me by email, note and in person. Amazing that I'm a single mom who works two jobs(teaching and babysitting) and I am the only parent who thought to offer this. I've had parents do similar things for me and it really makes my week.

I'm a middle school teacher, and I don't know how elementary teachers do it! I can't even imagine having the darlings in the same room all day long.. at least I get different sets of students.

Give me middle or high school any day.. sure the paperwork is crazy, but I can't imagine doing multiple lesson plans like elementary teachers.. English (Reading Spelling Writing), Social Studies, Science, Math, plus anything else.

At least I ONLY do two subjects: English (Reading, Literacy and Writing) and Social Studies.

ITA, and I always send in a gift card for my son's HS teachers. I also listen when they talk about things they need. My son's geometry teacher is new this year and mentioned that the kids will not be doing work requiring protractors or compasses, because she does not have enough and some kids cannot afford them. So, I sent her links to some class packs I found and after she okayed them, I ordered them for her. OMG, you would have thought I gave her $1000! She was so excited and thanked me by email, note and in person. Amazing that I'm a single mom who works two jobs(teaching and babysitting) and I am the only parent who thought to offer this. I've had parents do similar things for me and it really makes my week.

Do you have the store Five Below near you?

They had both compasses and protractors in the clearance bin for 25 cents each!

I disagree - there is a big difference between spending 40 minute a day with a teacher, and spending the whole day with a teacher. Every now and then, my older kids will connect with a certain teacher, but not most of the time. However, my kids always had a very special bond with their elementary teachers.

Do you have the store Five Below near you?

They had both compasses and protractors in the clearance bin for 25 cents each!

I got them back in September. These are the protractors that are a whole circle and can help with different types of problems. The compasses were the regular metal kind, but were fairly inexpensive as a class pack.

I am giving school supplies/classroom supplies to my kids' teachers. Reams of paper, dry erase markers, Lysol wipes etc. I stocked up during the BTS sales this fall.

I am a teacher and I think this is a great idea. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate anything that a child gives me as a gift. But a gift for the classroom is such a great idea. It could be a classroom game, playground supplies, or just supplies mentioned in the above post. Just giving my opinion!

Anyway, the school made a rule a few years ago that you couldn't give more than a $50 to a teacher (or a $50 gift) for Christmas. Of course, you can gift them again on their birthday and the end of school......

QUOTE]
So people must have been giving more than $50 gifts for the school to "make a new rule". Where is this school and do they have any openings? I think I might want to relocate....even with the $50 limit.:worship::rotfl2:

I disagree - there is a big difference between spending 40 minute a day with a teacher, and spending the whole day with a teacher. Every now and then, my older kids will connect with a certain teacher, but not most of the time. However, my kids always had a very special bond with their elementary teachers.

I agree...I noticed this starting in 5th grade with my kids. When you have a different teacher for every subject and such a short amount of time with them, it's just not the same.

I am a teacher and I think this is a great idea. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate anything that a child gives me as a gift. But a gift for the classroom is such a great idea. It could be a classroom game, playground supplies, or just supplies mentioned in the above post. Just giving my opinion!

I work in a fifth grade classroom as a Para. The teacher always encourages if the kids mention that they want to buy something for her for Christmas, to buy classroom gifts. Games, markers, crayons, tissues, WHITE BOARD MARKERS!!

How very sad.

I would like to think that I'm as close to my high school students as any of my own children's elementary school teachers are to them.

I'm not sure that a 16 year old needs 5 hours together, 5 days a week, to click with a teacher.

How very sad.

I would like to think that I'm as close to my high school students as any of my own children's elementary school teachers are to them.

I'm not sure that a 16 year old needs 5 hours together, 5 days a week, to click with a teacher.

I agree. When I look back through my educational life, I had an awesome Kindergarten teacher, wonderful grade 4 math teacher, amazing grade 6 home room teacher (she brought SPEDS to our school - Society for the Prevention and Elimination of Discrimination and Sterotyping) then I had a completely dedicated high school English teacher and a fabulous high school Biology teacher. So Kindergarten, Grade 4, Grade 6, Grade 10, 11, 12 teachers were the ones who truly made a difference to me personally.:)

These are the teachers whose names I remember and who greatly impacted my life. I also had 6 college professors who also had a huge influence on me.

I think that a teacher who loves what they are doing and shares that love with their students has a lifelong impact and influence and their names are never forgotten.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter