What are you getting the teachers this Christmas?

I have already decided on gift cards, but I would like to know if it's weired to give different $ amounts to different teachers..

I can't imagine that they would even know.

Again, maybe it's different because I'm secondary. But we rarely discuss the gifts we do get, other than in a "Wasn't that thoughtful?" kind of way. We certainly don't compare notes on who got how much from whom.

Do as your budget and comfort level mandate.

This weekend a note came home from my DDs teacher asking for hand sanitizer donations - I found that so ironic - b/c that is what I usually buy from BBW for teachers so they can use it in the classroom - but to listen to everyone on here - teacher's get WAY too much of that - I guess not if they are asking for it now!!!

I did get tumblers for all of their specials teachers last year and they all use them in their rooms now...I guess it just depends on the teachers on what they want or need!!!

I always ask my kids for their input too - after all - they know their teachers way better than me!!

I know I use the hand sanitizer for the kids. Unless BBW has some new unscented stuff, my kids won't want to use it, especially the boys. Someone got me lavendar scented hand sanitizer last year(not BBW) and I ended up giving it away, because the kids said it stunk, LOL. If I ask for hand sanitizer, I mean the plain alcohol scented kind, the bigger, the better(we refill the small dispensers).

It does depend on the teacher what they like. I would never use one of those tumblers, as I don't carry around a cup, don't drink coffee, etc. I drink bottled water and like it right out of the bubble. Others might like them. If I got one, I would regift it to someone who likes them though, so it would not be a waste of money.

I have already decided on gift cards, but I would like to know if it's weired to give different $ amounts to different teachers.

DS has a classroom teacher and a teacher's assistant, both of whom are basically with them all day every day. I was thinking about giving $25 Target or OfficeMax GC to them.

He also has four specialty teachers: art, music, PE and spanish. I was thinking about giving $5 Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts GC.

Would it be weired for the specialty teacher to find out they get less than the classroom teachers? DS loves all his specialty classes and I would love to thank all the teachers. I would love to give the same $, but I don't have the budget.

If it's weired, I'll have to skip GCs for specialty teachers and only ask my son to draw up a card for each of them.

Thank you.

I don't think it's weird. I think the specials teachers are happy to get anything, since they only have the kids once a week. Now, it does make me sad when my TA and I open our gifts and I get something obviously much more expensive than her gift. She works with the kids as much as me, so I would never give a teacher and TA different amounts on a gift card. They are more likely to talk about their gifts together.

Sorry, forgot to include the quote:
"This weekend a note came home from my DDs teacher asking for hand sanitizer donations - I found that so ironic - b/c that is what I usually buy from BBW for teachers so they can use it in the classroom - but to listen to everyone on here - teacher's get WAY too much of that - I guess not if they are asking for it now!!! "

Just be careful about the sanitizer-- I think some schools won't allow alcohol-based sanitizer.

And sending in classroom supplies is a bit different from buying a gift. The supplies are used by your child, the gift is to be used by the teacher.It's along the lines of your husband getting you a vacuum for your birthday-- something to make your job easier, not something for you.

I am getting GC's for the teachers, but I think I am also going to pick up the 100 free postcards at Staples and get the teacher's name printed on them. She can use them as Thank you notes or just to send notes home to the parents. I am always getting notes...and I think they will come in handy. Staples has several "teaching" designs..plus others with flowers/owls/cutesy stuff. Here is the coupon link if anyone is interested:

http://reg.e.staples.com/c/s/tagfrm...VZCw/coupon.html?n=9996&email=&COUPON_1=50604

We will not be buying our teachers anything this year and this is the prime reason why. Exactly how many more candles, cups, mugs, candy, lotions, ornaments and other "Stuff" do they really need. All I can picture is a walk-in closet filled to the brim with presents that will never be used. Christmas has become way too commercial and we are stopping the insanity at our house. Appreciate the work our teachers do.....sure, but I'm finished with the token gifts of $5 here and $10 there. They add up and in this economy I just can't handle any more! Same for bus drivers, postal employees, hairdresser, etc. Christmas will be celebrated differently around our house this year.
Perhaps you could donate to a charity in their honor. Or, make a food donation to the local pantry in their honor. We did that one year and the teacher's were very touched.

I have already decided on gift cards, but I would like to know if it's weired to give different $ amounts to different teachers.

DS has a classroom teacher and a teacher's assistant, both of whom are basically with them all day every day. I was thinking about giving $25 Target or OfficeMax GC to them.

He also has four specialty teachers: art, music, PE and spanish. I was thinking about giving $5 Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts GC.

Would it be weired for the specialty teacher to find out they get less than the classroom teachers? DS loves all his specialty classes and I would love to thank all the teachers. I would love to give the same $, but I don't have the budget.

If it's weired, I'll have to skip GCs for specialty teachers and only ask my son to draw up a card for each of them.

Thank you.

I think that would be great. I know when we gave the PE teacher a gift last year she thanked us very much and let us know that people usually forget about her.

I am getting GC's for the teachers, but I think I am also going to pick up the 100 free postcards at Staples and get the teacher's name printed on them. She can use them as Thank you notes or just to send notes home to the parents. I am always getting notes...and I think they will come in handy. Staples has several "teaching" designs..plus others with flowers/owls/cutesy stuff. Here is the coupon link if anyone is interested:

http://reg.e.staples.com/c/s/tagfrm...VZCw/coupon.html?n=9996&email=&COUPON_1=50604

Just wanted to say that I love this! How do you get the teacher's name printed on them? WOuld you do that yourself or does Staples? My DD's teacher always sends home notes in note cards rather than a piece of paper so these might be good for her.

Just wanted to say that I love this! How do you get the teacher's name printed on them? WOuld you do that yourself or does Staples? My DD's teacher always sends home notes in note cards rather than a piece of paper so these might be good for her.

It is done at Staples. You just go to the copy center and order the cards with whatever you want on them. They will then be shipped to the store where you can pick them up when ready. I am going to order some tomorrow for my DS's Pre-K teacher. There are some really cute designs to choose from!

I bought some Vera Bradley zip top ID cases so I'll probably get a $10 GC to put inside for some of them. We have a lot of teachers and support staff to buy for.

My son is a senior, but yes, he rolls his eyes if I ask him to give his teachers a card. I just take them up to the school and leave them with the secretary. I figure that middle/high school teachers deal with a lot and can use a gift card as much as me(I teach PreK/K).

I can tell you from experience (HS teacher) that a small gift card to a upper grade teacher is so appreciated. Lower grade teachers deserve gifts but upper grade teachers do a ton to. I only get about 1 gift a year. As a senior teacher (170 students a day) I work very hard.

This year alone I wrote 21 college letters. It takes over an hour to write a great, detailed, personalized letter. Many of my students get in to wonderful colleges.

Thank you to those that appreciate HS teachers.

I'm not sure what to get the teachers but right now I'm thinking of making some coffee cozies like these, http://houseonhillroad.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/01/a-new-years-gif.html and wrapping it around a cup like this http://www.amazon.com/Eco-Friendly-Reusable-Melamine-Coffee/dp/B002LC14XC and a GC to Starbucks. I know personally I'm not a coffee drinker but I would use this to put hot chocolate in it and I like going to Starbucks for their pastries and things so I could use the gift card for something other than coffee. So is this a good idea or no? :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter