~What Are Your Thoughts On This!(being forced to have cable)~

disneyworld!

<font color="87005b">Love, Peace & Mickey.....and
I have comcast cable.....I have for the past few months. I HATE it. for the pst 3 years I have had the DISH satallite. and I LOVE the dish. Well when I moved here I was unaware...till the day I signed my lease that they will NOT let us have dishs. I was paying around 50 bucks for my dish and got so much more!!!!! and now for 3 months (and this is with paying monthly) cable claims I owe just about 300 bucks!!! I fought with them on the phone yesterday...I have my payment receipts and I only have extened basic and the internet and my montly charges are around $124?? this is outragish!!! so being on the 3rd floor and next to the roof....because there are other people here with dishs(hummm) I ordered my dish! to be put in on the 3rd. the office said NO! I am being forced to chose comcast!!!!!! is there anyone I can complain to about this?? I do not think it is right...
HELP!!!

Sorry, it sounds like you should have read your lease more thoroughly. It's pretty common that apartment complexes don't allow dishes to be externally mounted. You could complain to the management company, but I doubt it would do any good. Or you could put it up and hope nobody catches you, but I would check your lease to see what they can do if you violate your lease (e.g. will they kick you out, etc.).

there are other people here with them and it is NOT in my lease, they only mentioned it by word of mouth

If it's in your lease, I'm not sure that there's anything you can do to change it. You could just put up the dish and hope that you don't get caught with it!

Well, if it is not in the lease, than I don't see how it could be a problem. Usually they will just temporarly (sp?) mount it to the patio and that is supposed to be just fine.

no porch....I am on the 3rd floor. they ok if the eqiment is inside! I just do not think it is right to force something like this. like I said it is not in my lease. this violates my rights to choose!!

if it is not in the lease, they cannot force you not to have one - just make sure to check the entire lease, addenda, etc. and they may be using the portion of the lease that doesn't allow certain "fixtures" to be place in or around the apartment or a section re unsightly things around the apartment - i.e., forbidding them.

Even if this policy is not in writing in your lease, since you were verbally informed, and even pursued the issue so that the "office" said no, I think you are stuck.

I'm wondering if those dishes you see already installed were there prior to the "rule" and the management is letting those tenants keep the dish until they move out, then they'll be removed.

When I lived in apartments, I remember that there was some law that prevented apartments from being able to forbig satellites. It's something from the FCC the ensures your freedom to choose or something. I wish I could remember the wording, but that was over 5 years ago. You might want to do some research and see if that law still exists. Then you could have grounds to do what you want.

Kermit said:
When I lived in apartments, I remember that there was some law that prevented apartments from being able to forbig satellites. It's something from the FCC the ensures your freedom to choose or something. I wish I could remember the wording, but that was over 5 years ago. You might want to do some research and see if that law still exists. Then you could have grounds to do what you want.

That is just what I was thinking...review the code
http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/consumerdish.html

Sounds like---you need to have exclusive use--and if you do not have exclusive use..then they can prevent you.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has rules about restrictions on the placement of consumer-owned satellite dishes and other types of antennas (Over-the-Air-Reception Devices or “OTARD” Rules).

FCC rules prohibit local governments, landlords, community associations, or similar groups from restricting a resident from installing and using an antenna that is covered under the OTARD rules. These rules only apply to properties or areas of properties that the antenna user owns, leases or rents and areas where the user has exclusive use or control. The rules apply to properties used for commercial purposes just as they apply to residential properties.

What Types of Antennas Are Covered Under the OTARD Rules?

The following antennas or dishes are covered by these rules:

a “dish” antenna one meter (39.37 inches) or less in diameter (or any size in Alaska) designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service or to receive and transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite;

an antenna one meter in diameter or less designed to receive wireless cable or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than by satellite; and

commercially-available analog and digital television antennas.

Antennas used for amateur (“Ham”) radio, CB radio, FM or AM radio service, satellite radio or used as part of a hub to relay signals among antennas are NOT covered by these rules.

What Types of Property Are Covered?

OTARD rules apply to antenna users who place antennas that meet size limitations on properties they own or rent and that are within their exclusive use or control. This includes single family homes, condominiums, cooperatives, townhomes, and manufactured homes. In the case of condominiums, cooperatives, and rental property, the rules apply to an area where the viewer has exclusive use, like a terrace, balcony or patio. “Exclusive use’” means an area of the property that only you, and persons you permit, may enter and use. If the area is shared with others or accessible without your permission, it is not generally considered “exclusive use.”

OTARD rules do not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association or jointly by condominium owners. These common areas may include the roof or exterior walls of a multiple dwelling unit.

Under certain conditions, if a common antenna is available for use by residents, then the community association or landlord may reject or not permit the installation of an individually owned antenna or satellite dish, provided the service and costs are the same.

Are There Any Other Restrictions On Where I Cannot Install My Dish or Antenna?

Restrictions necessary to prevent damage to leased property are permissible, as long as the restrictions are reasonable. For example, a lease restriction that forbids tenants from drilling holes through exterior walls or through the roof is likely to be permissible.

An association, landlord or local government may impose certain restrictions when safety is a concern or where a historic site is involved. An example of a safety restriction would be installing an antenna on a fire escape. Safety restrictions should be narrowly written so that they are no more burdensome than necessary to address an articulated and legitimate safety purpose.

Installation Requirements for Fixed Wireless Antennas that Receive and Transmit

The FCC requires fixed wireless antennas capable of receiving and transmitting voice and data services to meet certain guidelines regarding radiation exposure limits and environmental standards. Given these limits and standards, it is permissible for fixed wireless providers to require that their equipment be professionally installed.

For more information on these restrictions, see www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html.

When we had Primestar (before DirecTv bought them) we were in a rental. PS had us get a waiver signed that the landlord agreed to allow us to have it installed. Cable tv wasn't available for the property, so other than the rooftop antenna, which allowed only one or two stations, we had to get a satellite system.

Did you find out why Comcast says you owe so much? Do you have a digital receiver that they think needs to be returned (maybe be the previous tenant)?

We own a condo and are not allowed to have a "dish" either. We have the choice between cable and antenna's (free tv). Though our by laws don't specifically state "no dish", we are not allowed to mount anything on our balconies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter