What can you put into Gas to screw up an engine?

I refuse to have an ongoing fear of any potential repercussions of doing the right thing. I find it to be a sad commentary of our times if people really do have such a fear. Even more sad that these same people aren't outraged that they feel a need to live in such a state of perpetual fear.

This thread has now moved from ridiculous to just plain sad.

I refuse to have an ongoing fear of any potential repercussions of doing the right thing. I find it to be a sad commentary of our times if people really do have such a fear. Even more sad that these same people aren't outraged that they feel a need to live in such a state of perpetual fear.

Who is fearful? Do you mean those scared of legalities?

Putting sugar, kerosene or water in the gas can is not IMHO the "right thing" calling the police, locking up the gas can etc, those would be the right and moral things to do.
Doing something that could potentially cause physical harm or death to someone is not the right thing unless it boils down to self defense.

ETA: realizing what can happen in reality is not being fearful.

OK- for the record- NO I'm not planning on sabotaging the gas for future theivery...

My husband cleared everything out of the "open" areas of our yard- apparently they also tried to take our generator- but it is attached to the ground with really long spikes and chains. The gas can in question was out to work on yard work- and then to give gas to our neighbor who can't get out to his own. It just didn't get put away from the weekend when they first tried to take it to when it was taken during a storm in which we got 5inches (from weather report this am) of rain- so it is likely that the gas could have had rain water in it to begin with- it was open and we had lots of water coming down at all angles.

We do not own a locking garage- to lock gasoline- and we usually keep it out of the fenced part of the back yard to keep my youngest son and our dog out of it but it is usually out of site from the road.

I did speak to a policeman friend of mine (he is a high ranking officer in our local department) and he said he would send someone by the house and rouse them a bit but nothing could be done about the gas unless we caught them and contained them in the act again (he said don't do it).

The kid in question- does not live in my neighborhood- at least not that I know of- but hangs out with a kid who lives down the street who is a known druggie- and they get several cop visits. So there are no parents to speak to- and although I refer to him as "kid" he is probably in his lower 20's- he is an adult

The same group of kids harrassed my elderly neighbor a few months back by waking him in the middle of the night and laughing at him when he came out in his boxers- he now has to pay to have a sitter in his house around the clock with he and his severely disabled wife. So you can see where some of the grrr anger comes from- it wasn't just the $20 in gas- but that these kids keep doing things and getting away with it.

I did mention the sabatoged gas can to my police friend(so now the police even know there was a JOKING intent)- he said he'd love to see it happen to the punks. And said his friend had "wired" a few items in his yard- a bike and a barbque pit to a low voltage battery to "shock" a theif he had come into his yard. Turned out to be a neighbor who tried to file a complaint about it- the DA told him he should have stayed off property that wasn't his and that if he needed to "borrow" something he probably should have asked first.

I had a former boss who lived in the country- he had some people trespassing on his property to go hunting- well aside from the fact that it was his property they were cutting his fence to get through on their 4 wheelers- so he burried nail strips along the area where they normally broke in and informed the sheriff in his area that he'd done so- they said he could bury almost whatever he wanted to on his own property. He even put a sign- "danger tire damage can occur to tresspassers" Of course they ignored the sign and continued on and got upset that there were nail spikes on the ground and their hunting venture got cut short. He told them- that they were risking the lives of his family and pets trespassing to hunt and that his kids should be able to freely access all their own property without the risk of hunters confusing them for animals. He did offer to tow their 4 wheelers back to their property- lol

I think it is a shame that the legal system does work the way it does- not so that I could sabatoge a can of gas- but because some of it makes no sense... like the burgaler who breaks into your home and trips and can file a claim on your homeowners insurance- that is just dumb.

sorry to those who took offense to my venting and frustration and to the obvious frustration of others- over the same thing- It is sad that stupid law suits are allowed to clog up our legal system, it is sad that a thief could sue for taking even labeled contaminated gas- sad sad sad

So just to reiterate- I am not planning to sabatoge the gas cans- I was just upset and felt violated that the nervy kids would do what they did- I can sit back and imagine that there was water already in the stolen gas can though- as I assume there may have been- hopefully karma will take care of them just fine.

Who is fearful? Do you mean those scared of legalities?

Yes. Being scared of the very laws that were put in place to protect innocent citizens is very sad. That's not to say that there haven't been bizarre incidents where criminals have sued for punitive civil damages and won. Of course there have, those are the cases that make headlines. There are also numerous examples of ours laws misused or not being enforced. By and large though, I believe that those same laws work in exactly the way they were intended.

If you habitually steal something from me, then it is logical to assume that I will take some measures to put a stop to it. In this case that would be me adding a 2-pound bag of sugar to my gas can. If the thief chooses to steal my gas can again, then I prefer to think of it as a lesson learned.

I seriously doubt that kid would steal my gas can again. As for being worried that that same kid or his parents would sue me, well that's where I really feel we've slipped into the land of the ludicrous.

If my method isn't how you would choose to handle the same situation, then so be it. Not a problem, but to suggest that someone shouldn't handle it this way out of fear of retaliation, either of a criminal or civil nature is just plain silly.

There's going to be a lot of "gas theft" I'm afraid. My Uncle has a "work" truck that he uses infrequently (he's retired) and he thinks the neighbor kid drained the gas out of the tank. :headache: With gas so high, it's like stealing $100 everytime someone helps themselves to your tank.... at least if you have a truck.

With this clarity of mind, think about all the hummingbirds you'd like to see. Start the process of setting up a hummingbird feeder. People usually use sugar water in those, yes? Re-purpose a container to hold sugar water that you make up before getting or setting up the feeder. Leave it in the same spot, b/c you are trying to change the place of criminal activity into a nice happy spot.

I think this is the best idea yet. Start a hummingbird feeder.

You could be prosecuted for the damage civilly or criminally irrespective of whether he is prosecuted for theft. The law does not allow for vigilante or self-help justice. You are supposed to report the crime to the police and let them deal with it. I know that's a harsh pill to swallow sometimes considering the ineptitude of some members of law enforcement, but it's the way it is. You could definitely be punished for taking matters into your own hands.
So write BLEACH on the side of the gas can with Sharpie marker. He won't look at it in the dark, and you're fine. I still think it's not vandalism to have a perfectly legal substance in your own can on your own property.

Sure it isn't the mature thing to do- but when someone takes something from my property it is a violation. I felt violated when the kid just tried the other day. Its my house- I should be able to set something on my property and expect it to stay.
You're talking about a can that's maybe in your backyard, up against your house or on your porch, right? If it's sitting out in the middle of the driveway, that might be attracting trouble . . . but if he must come onto your property to see it, then you're fine.

I'm asking because I'd like to set up some payback for this nervy neighborhood kid that stole the gasoline we had in a can in our backyard and then tossed the can back to the driveway.

This weekend we caught the kid trying to sneak back to the gas can- and couldn't believe the nerve. Today my husband said during torential down pour the kid came back and was successful. My husband watched him but wasn't up to getting wet for less than 5 gallons of gasoline.

I told my husband I want to refill the can- and add something to it that will screw up the kids car- so what can I put into my can of gasoline that if stolen would cause the thief's vehicle harm?

Diesel should do a nice job.;)

ETA: OP, I'm glad you were able to speak with somebody about the "kid". Thanks for the update.

maybe even sit it in a batch of Poision Ivy then wait to see if he still goes for it. Sure I'd be out the $5 for the new jug and $4 for the gas but it would at least have some entertainment value.
I like the poison ivy idea. It'd be especially nice if he stopped to, um, relieve himself shortly after taking the gas! Of course, there are two big problems with this plan: 1) some people -- like me -- can sit in poison ivy, and it'll not touch them and 2) he likely wouldn't understand where he picked up the poison and the point would be lost.

Personally, I like the diesel idea, but man is it expensive......

I would have to do something that was cheap. I wouldn't WASTE $ on the punk;)

Personally, I like the diesel idea, but man is it expensive......

I would have to do something that was cheap. I wouldn't WASTE $ on the punk;)

Hmmm....vindictive, but frugal. I like it!

its amazing what thieves can sue for. There was a story about a teenage who stole a horse from its stall in at a small barn and proceeded to try to ride her.. The horse took off and the kid got hurt really bad. His family sued the horse owner and won...

:thumbsup2 I love it when that happens!

Oh please, they're is a contraction for they are, as I posted. Yeah, I was typing too quickly and transposed the ie for thief, but the other poster was using "there" for they're, their , there....and every other grammatical error in the book. If you are going to call people idiots and lacking in brain matter.....have a somewhat legible post. :rolleyes:

Oh please, they're is a contraction for they are, as I posted. Yeah, I was typing too quickly and transposed the ie for thief, but the other poster was using "there" for they're, their , there....and every other grammatical error in the book. If you are going to call people idiots and lacking in brain matter.....have a somewhat legible post. :rolleyes:

MTE.. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter